Post  Shalamar on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Dead at 48, according to CNN.

I'm in shock.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Whitney Houston Empty Re: Whitney Houston

Post  truecrystal on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Tragic, but sadly not that surprising. Her addiction had taken its toll, and in recent pictures she looked so sick and frail. She was one of the few singers out there whose voice literally gave me chills. RIP Whitney.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady V on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:38 pm

As somone who watched The Bodyguard twice in a theatre, I'm very saddened by her death. What an incredible voice she once had. Such a waste of life and talent.

Lady V

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:46 pm

I am just so sad. I can't believe she was on 48. It's like her and Michael, the people I loved as a kid in the 80s are slipping away far too fast in tragic ways.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 pm

I remember her "I Will Always Love You" performance on a Divas concert, and how she owned the stage, the audience, and that famous high note that she could belt to the stars. Sheer jaw-dropping brilliance, and I say that as someone not generally a fan of over-the-top love ballads.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:12 pm

I hadn't watched I Wanna Dance With Somebody in years. Gosh, she was SO young and seemed so full of joy in that video. Made me cry --- what a waste of an enormous talent. Drugs suck.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:19 pm

I am wondering it they are going to try and pull together a tribute for the Grammy's tomorrow.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 pm

I am An Old, and I remember when she was a model in 17 magazine. They were all, "she wants to be a singer!" and I always remembered her name because she was so pretty. I was kind of strangely proud when she hit it big, because I knew of her Back When.

Anytime a talented musician dies due to substance abuse, it hits me really hard, because I have seen it happen up close, and it sucks HARD for the people left behind. I know it sucks HARDER for the actual victim, but I only speak from my perspective.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:25 pm

Ugh, this is so shocking. I remember being a kid and thinking she was the prettiest best singer in the world. And then watching her version of Cinderella over and over and wishing I had her for a fairy godmother.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 pm

I have to think they'll pull something together for the Grammys. And she's still got that remake of Sparkle coming out. It's like... I don't know what's sadder, the idea that she might have gone back to drugs, or that she was clean but the damage caught up to her and her heart just gave out.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:34 pm

I would not have predicted me that her death would hit me as hard as it has. I think too, though, I'm disgusted by the snide comments I'm seeing in my facebook feed. Life happens. Everyone has problems. She never hurt me. She only blessed me. Poor thing.

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Whoa, I heard about her death on the radio and was shocked. Not entirely surprised because of her past substance abuse issues, but shocked that it's happened now, if that makes any sense.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:58 pm

I am An Old, and I remember when she was a model in 17 magazine.

OMG, me too. As a teen, I thought she'd go the distance, because she carried herself with such elegance. I bet when I am a crazy old lady, my heirs are going to have to keep apologizing to my aides for my rantings about how Bobby Brown was her downfall.

lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

Died at the Beverly Hilton.

Man, the two quoted "guests" are creeptastic.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilly_sirl on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 am

Yeah, there's a friggin' limit to "the show must go on". Jeez.

Poor Whitney!

Gilly_sirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:34 am

I really, really hope starlets like Lindsay Lohan take a look at what happened to Whitney and try to get clean. It's so sad and awful...she was incredibly talented.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 am

PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 am

Jennifer Hudson is such a dull choice, but at least she can sing and won't make it all about her, so it's better than some other options. I'm just relieved they're keeping Aguilera with all of her over the top nonsense away.

This is just so sad. I still remember seeing the "How Will I Know" video as a little girl and wanting that giant hair bow.

Speaking of which, this is pretty awesome.

Whitney's isolated vocal track for How Will I Know

And while I love to see her belt, for some reason, this has always been my fave.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:51 am

I seriously think the best tribute to a vocalist like Whitney (or Etta for that matter) isn't to have another singer sing a song she made famous but just show a clip of an amazing performance.

Or just play her episode from Silver Sppoons
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:18 am

I remember many of her hit songs from when I was a little girl: I always liked "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". I wasn't a fan of "I Will Always Love You", because it got over-played so much (that was out when I was in high school and every time my friends and I drove somewhere, somebody would play the Bodyguard soundtrack). But then Houston did that version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella and she blew me completely away. I've still got the soundtrack to that movie: it's just incredible. Another great talent destroyed by drugs. It makes me so angry, and sad.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 am

biakbiak wrote:I seriously think the best tribute to a vocalist like Whitney (or Etta for that matter) isn't to have another singer sing a song she made famous but just show a clip of an amazing performance.

Exactly. Jennifer Hudson has a lovely voice, and Lord knows I love Chaka Khan, but if they really want to honor Whitney, they ought to just play a clip of her singing. Hell, break out the clip of her singing the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl which STILL gives me chills.

I know I shouldn't be shocked by her death given all her troubles, but I suppose I thought since she had made it this long, she was immune to it. My heart goes out to her daughter. Poor thing must be absolutely beside herself.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 am

I'm surprised by how surprised I am, but such an amazing talent gone at 48 is incredibly tragic. That isolated track of How Will I Know is spine tingly, RIP Whitney.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Drowned? How awful.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:16 pm

How terrible. That very same thing happened to an acquaintance of mine -- went in for a relaxing bath and somehow drowned in the tub. The authorities never really figured out what happened, and the theory was that she either fell asleep or had some sort of seizure and drowned as a result. I wonder if the same is true for Whitney.

Last edited by jstilwe on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Its just so sad. And her poor family.

She was one of those ones that for whatever reason I just assumed would eventually clean herself up and have a comeback.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum