Whitney Houston

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Whitney Houston - Page 2 Empty Re: Whitney Houston

Post  particle_person on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Well maybe she was half-way there and she just got fantastically unlucky? I mean, you wouldn't even have to be all that drunk to fall asleep in the tub and not wake up in time.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't want to speculate on her dying I just meant I for whatever reason never imagined her dying.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm

I was at a guide leader thing this weekend in Dublin so only heard this afternoon on the way home. I am seriously shocked and saddened by this. She was a huge part of my music listening evolution when I was a teenager. She was Whitney Bloody Houston who was gorgeous looking and, as someone who used to sing in the church choir as a teen, I used to wish I had a voice like hers, she was such a fantastic singer. I know that a lot of people got sick of "I Will Always Love You" back in the day but she sang that song in a way that no-one could match.

Her poor daughter and family. My heart goes out to them.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:33 pm

TMZ is reporting that Bobbi Kristina was rushed to the hospital.

This is all so sad.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Apparently she had a panic attack. The poor kid; I only hope her family is taking care of her.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Kiran wrote:She was one of those ones that for whatever reason I just assumed would eventually clean herself up and have a comeback.
Me, too. I always rooted for her and wanted her to be a huge star in the music scene again. She has had such an impact on so many current artists.

I was so shocked and sad to hear the news of her passing last night. I assumed at first that it was drug-related, but an accidental drowning? That's so heartbreaking.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm

My friends didn't believe me when I told them she died until I sent a link to her obit. I'm still bummed.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 pm

I am perhaps in the minority in that I NEVER got sick of "I Will Always Love You." We all complained about how overplayed it was, but I was secretly glad when it came on the radio. (Confession: the same is true of "My Heart Will Go On." That is the only Celine Dion song I like, but I love it.) My favorite part was the silence and the single "whomp" and then "AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" etc. Man that was sweet. I also loved The Bodyguard so that didn't hurt.

When I was a kid I always thought of Whitney Houston as the best singer in the world. I mean, I guess I wasn't counting opera or what have you. But it just went without saying for me that nobody was as good a singer as Whitney Houston. When Mariah Carey showed up, she came close in my mental ranking, but then after her first two songs (Vision of Love and Vanishing) I didn't really like anything else that she did that much, and I couldn't tell how awesome her voice was anymore because she always sang in that falsetto/whispery voice and did too many runs. So I continued to think of Whitney as the pinnacle. I know she sort of popularized that style in the first place, but unlike so many who came after her I never felt like she overdid it. (They were showing her rendition of the National Anthem on TV Sunday morning, and I got choked up. I had forgotten she did that song and how great it was.)

It wasn't a case of idol worship or anything; I certainly liked her and loved many of her songs, but for me it was just an obvious fact that she was the best singer. I've never really thought much about that until now. I still think of her that way, I guess. I like other singers more (and I am not a huge fan generally of Whitney's kind of music anyway), but I certainly don't think they're better singers.

She was amazing and I'm still sad. I hope she rests in peace.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Whitney was one of those people I was always rooting for. Like RDJ, I wanted her to clean up and make an amazing comeback. She had so much talent. I was watching the old videos and it just made me sad that we wouldnt get to see what she could do again.
jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I was really, really saddened by her passing. Like others have said, she was just one of those people who I always hoped would get her shit together. I feel so badly for poor Bobbi Kristina.
I loved all of her poppy, dance songs from the early years, but I have a shameful amount of love for My Name is Not Susan. And Queen of the Night, because it is amazingly fun to dance around your house belting out. Even if the dog looks at you funny, heh.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:When I was a kid I always thought of Whitney Houston as the best singer in the world. I mean, I guess I wasn't counting opera or what have you. But it just went without saying for me that nobody was as good a singer as Whitney Houston. When Mariah Carey showed up, she came close in my mental ranking, but then after her first two songs (Vision of Love and Vanishing) I didn't really like anything else that she did that much, and I couldn't tell how awesome her voice was anymore because she always sang in that falsetto/whispery voice and did too many runs. So I continued to think of Whitney as the pinnacle. I know she sort of popularized that style in the first place, but unlike so many who came after her I never felt like she overdid it. (They were showing her rendition of the National Anthem on TV Sunday morning, and I got choked up. I had forgotten she did that song and how great it was.)

It wasn't a case of idol worship or anything; I certainly liked her and loved many of her songs, but for me it was just an obvious fact that she was the best singer. I've never really thought much about that until now. I still think of her that way, I guess. I like other singers more (and I am not a huge fan generally of Whitney's kind of music anyway), but I certainly don't think they're better singers.

She was amazing and I'm still sad. I hope she rests in peace.

This is how I feel. Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, etc. are talented, but Whitney had a "cleaner" voice. She didn't have to be so showy to hold your attention.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Whitney had a "cleaner" voice
I miss the days before autotune.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Nice one, Sony. Shortly after she was found dead, they jacked up the price of her greatest hits album. Do they even have a PR division?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 am

swsa wrote:Jennifer Hudson is such a dull choice, but at least she can sing and won't make it all about her, so it's better than some other options. I'm just relieved they're keeping Aguilera with all of her over the top nonsense away.

This is just so sad. I still remember seeing the "How Will I Know" video as a little girl and wanting that giant hair bow.

Speaking of which, this is pretty awesome.

Whitney's isolated vocal track for How Will I Know

And while I love to see her belt, for some reason, this has always been my fave.
Wow, I got chills at that isolated vocal track. Man, her voice was so amazing. It's so sad.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 pm

I believe Sony just said the price hike was an "accident" or something. Yeah, uh huh. Keep going with that one, guys.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

Do they even have a PR division?
They do, but evidently their goal to provide as many "This is how NOT to do it" case studies as possible.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I've been hearing people say a lot of callous things about her death. One woman at work told me that we couldn't expect much else from someone who chose to do drugs, which...yeah, I understand the frustration and confusion over someone making that decision in the first place, but addiction doesn't work that way. No one ever chooses to be an addict, and Whitney tried to get clean. I don't know, it just seemed kind of cold to me.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 am

naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Coroner's report: Cause of death drowning with cocaine in her system.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Didn't one of her relatives say that she thought Whitney died of a heart attack soon after it happened? Sadly true.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I am sure this will end well.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

That's pretty fucking disgusting.