Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Office

+15
Author By Night
shamoogity
Kookla
Gillian
Matinee
Crowbridge
biakbiak
choubetcha
Mulva
Instant Monkeys
Snarker
Shalamar
mokey75
Binky
VodouDoll
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Office Empty The Office

Post  VodouDoll Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:29 am

I can't believe I'm still watching this show, but I just can't seem to quit.

Watching Cathy try to seduce Jim tonight was so uncomfortable. Why didn't he just tell her she had to leave? Has he always been that passive and I've just forgotten?

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

The Office Empty Re: The Office

Post  Binky Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:03 am

They've taken Michael's awkward and divided it between Andy and Jim.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah, it was totally awkward. However, I laughed so hard at Dwight spraying her with chemicals.
I don't know why I'm still watching either, but I lowered my expectations to zero. So basically, it passes the time. I wish they'd put this on hold instead of Parks and Rec. I've heard rumors that Dwight is getting a spin-off, and Mindy Kaling is getting her own show. Just give up the ghost, NBC.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

Why didn't he just tell her she had to leave?

I KNOW. My daughters and I yelled "GET LOST, HO" so many times, I'm surprised our neighbours didn't complain.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 pm

The Cathy-Jim thing just seemed like such a waste of time, too. There wasn't anything else they could've done with her that might have actually added some suspense or interest? I mean, as far as the show is concerned, Jim's defining trait is that he loves Pam. It's been the most important thing about his character since the very first episode. There was zero question of whether or not he would cheat, because of course he never would. The only question was how uncomfortable he'd get before telling her to get lost. (Very, very uncomfortable. And also totally spineless.)

But, of course, now he's going to have to tell Pam about it before Pam hears from Stanley or Cathy spins it some way to look bad. I guess Dwight can always back Jim up that nothing happened, but still, there might be boring manufactured drama to be had.

Was I the only person who, when Ryan and Erin hid under the tables in the kitchen, immediately thought of velociraptors?

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:10 pm

I used to love this show, but I really wish they'd packed it in when Michael left. Andy just isn't doing it for me at the new boss, and I loathe Nellie.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm still watching out of habit, but oh my god, Nellie is unbearable. I think they were going for a female Dwight, but she's just intolerable.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Same here. Since I was away last week and very busy this week, I just finished a massive marathon of two weeks of NBC Thursday, and it really stood out to me what a grind The Office has become. There are still funny moments, and to be fair I adored the ending of this most recent one with Kevin's dog Ruby. But, yeah. I keep thinking Nellie is a temporary guest star that I just have to endure, and she keeps being there, and now they're trying to give her an emotional arc, which I guess means she's staying? How come? I feel like I'm supposed to find her just HILARIOUS, because I love her from some British show that I don't actually watch (is it Dr. Who?), but I don't have that, and there's not much in the actual character that I find interesting.

Some of the stuff has been funny -- I thought Dwight guessing the value of all the items in the silent auction was a great joke, although the payoff was not great. And I love douchey Ryan still. But it's not really jelling for me these days, and watching it is mostly a chore, which makes me sad.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Binky wrote:I'm still watching out of habit, but oh my god, Nellie is unbearable. I think they were going for a female Dwight, but she's just intolerable.
I agree. I did laugh out loud at her attempting to eat a taco, but that's the first thing she's ever done that's been entertaining to me.

And I agree about it being a chore to get through. With Dwight and Kelly both out, and possibly Jim (last I read he wasn't signed up for a next season), I don't see how this show can keep going. Though I suspect they'll throw a ton of money at John Krasinski for one last season (or part of, at least), and drag it out even more.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 am

I quit watching The Office because I don't want my Nellie hate to retroactively ruin my love of Donna Noble.

I hope the Scranton Strangler makes her his next victim.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulva Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am

It's pretty bad when the best parts of The Office are Creed's two lines an episode. They really should have packed it in when Michael left.

Mulva

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm

I don't know if anyone else is still watching, but I wanted to talk about the end of last night's episode! Was totally not expecting that reveal; it makes me wonder if
Spoiler:
for the remaining episodes or if this was a one-off.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Maybe, but my guess is that crewmember was introduced a threat to Pam/Jim in an admirably sneaky way (most interesting thing to happen in years). Does the show need the crew - as it winds down it's very rarely funny. Would a bunch of new characters help? I don't know.

Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean integrating like when the offices combined but just adding one or two crewmembers to the mix. Maybe Brian and then another one advocating for more objectivity? I would like to see that.

I am a fan of Erin and Pete, but even if I were not, I think I would be thrilled that Andy has been gone for so long.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:29 pm

I thought the cold open they had last night was the funniest in awhile.

I do no understand why there was so much Andy/Erin back and forth only to then do this Erin/Pete storyline. I mean I don't care but it just illustrates how clueless the writing has become.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm

I haven't watched this show since season seven, but I watched this episode online because I had heard a lot about it. While I was watching, I thought to myself, "How great of an ending would it be if Jim and Pam got a divorce?"

Now, I don't mean that in a schadenfreude way and I know it will never happen in a million years, but I think it would be a great way to end the series. Have Jim and Pam discover that they have grown apart and want different lives, and that even though they did share a deep love for each other and will always love each other in a way, it just didn't work out, no matter how hard they tried. Happens all the time in real life, so it could happen on "The Office".

I don't know, I just think it would be a lot more interesting than Jim moving back to Scranton or Pam moving to Philly, and the two of them riding off into the sunset. Maybe that's because the show has been on too long, and there was no reason to keep watching the Halperts after they got together, so if their entire relationship/marriage is documented from start to finish, it would make for not-so-typical television. It would drop-kick you in a BIG way.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I haven't watched this show since season seven, but I watched this episode online because I had heard a lot about it. While I was watching, I thought to myself, "How great of an ending would it be if Jim and Pam got a divorce?"

Now, I don't mean that in a schadenfreude way and I know it will never happen in a million years, but I think it would be a great way to end the series. Have Jim and Pam discover that they have grown apart and want different lives, and that even though they did share a deep love for each other and will always love each other in a way, it just didn't work out, no matter how hard they tried. Happens all the time in real life, so it could happen on "The Office".

I don't know, I just think it would be a lot more interesting than Jim moving back to Scranton or Pam moving to Philly, and the two of them riding off into the sunset. Maybe that's because the show has been on too long, and there was no reason to keep watching the Halperts after they got together, so if their entire relationship/marriage is documented from start to finish, it would make for not-so-typical television. It would drop-kick you in a BIG way.

Yeah, I have to admit that I would kind of love this.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Another thing I've been thinking about: I can totally see Pam having an emotional affair with Brian the sound guy because that's exactly how her relationship with Jim started. I don't think she would ever have a physical affair, and I don't think she would leave Jim to be with Brian, but, well, we all know Pam has it in her to turn to another man when her current relationship isn't going so well. Brian could be the catalyst for Pam realizing that she can't rely on a man to make her life 'okay', that she has to stand on her own and be single for a while. Again, I know it will NEVER happen, but I think it would make everything come full circle and that it would be delightfully (heartbreakingly) different.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 am

I am hating this Brian thing and the whole second episode Pam plot. TOOOOOO much manufactured drama. I mean, the new guy "saves" her while "neglectful" Jim is out of town? HATE. There used to be much better writing on this show. Also, adults can have conflict and you can tell a meaningful story of them working through it without a fucking love triangle.

That said, I'll give whoever wrote that Kevin bit kudos - that was great.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am

Matinee wrote:I am hating this Brian thing and the whole second episode Pam plot. TOOOOOO much manufactured drama. I mean, the new guy "saves" her while "neglectful" Jim is out of town? HATE. There used to be much better writing on this show. Also, adults can have conflict and you can tell a meaningful story of them working through it without a fucking love triangle.
Yeeeessss. It's annoying because it's so shoehorned in at the last minute. Just all of a sudden, poof! Here's a hot boom mic guy and he's into Pam and they've been sorta-flirting long enough that now he's fired! Only you just met him last week! It's super lame. That being said, Boom Mic Brian *is* hot. If Pam were single/Jim didn't exist, I'd tell her to hit that.

I do like that Jim and Pam are experiencing some genuine hardship in their relationship. It's realistic (aside from the fact that apparently they have never talked about moving at least closer to Philly in the near future. It's not like this is a temp job for Jim), and that fight last week was plenty tense without throwing some rando new guy in there at the last second because it's the last season and what the hell.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

I do like that Jim and Pam are experiencing some genuine hardship in their relationship. It's realistic (aside from the fact that apparently they have never talked about moving at least closer to Philly in the near future. It's not like this is a temp job for Jim), and that fight last week was plenty tense without throwing some rando new guy in there at the last second because it's the last season and what the hell.

I think the reason I like the Brian potential is because how boring Jim and Pam have been for at least 3 seasons, with all the averted drama that should have caused discussion if not conflict (like when Jim bought his parents house without consulting her, or became part of Athlead without telling her, etc).

Also, I prefer that the story focus on Jim and Pam rather than Nelly (who I can't stand) or the new guys (whose names I don't know), and the Oscar/Angela triangle is only watchable to a point.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Binky wrote:

I think the reason I like the Brian potential is because how boring Jim and Pam have been for at least 3 seasons, with all the averted drama that should have caused discussion if not conflict (like when Jim bought his parents house without consulting her, or became part of Athlead without telling her, etc).

Also, I prefer that the story focus on Jim and Pam rather than Nelly (who I can't stand) or the new guys (whose names I don't know), and the Oscar/Angela triangle is only watchable to a point.

I wish they'd followed up more on that potential drama instead of resorting to the more "go-to" sitcom plot twist.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Gillian wrote:I do like that Jim and Pam are experiencing some genuine hardship in their relationship. It's realistic (aside from the fact that apparently they have never talked about moving at least closer to Philly in the near future. It's not like this is a temp job for Jim), and that fight last week was plenty tense without throwing some rando new guy in there at the last second because it's the last season and what the hell.

This is basically how I feel also. We were already halfway into a real, legitimate source of tension with Jim's unilateral decision to start a new job/move to Philly. I actually don't mind Brian and I think it would have been a great storyline at some point, but it seems superfluous when we were already set up and pushing forward with the other plot.

Pam really attracts some committed, silent, pining types though, huh?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

It does seem like a lot going on at once. But I actually kind of love the Brian storyline, just because it feels like, as it winds down, they're suddenly expanding to show all these behind-the-scenes people who have been there all along, and it's kind of mindblowing and I like it. It feels like the show is crumbling or something. I mean, in a good way. Or an interesting way.

I thought about it, a lot, and I think I'd prefer a happy ending for PB&J. But, it's a close call, because part of me would think it was AWESOME if the show ended with Pam running away with a sound guy that had been there the whole time but that we'd never seen until the very end. Like, the whole narrative that the documentarians had been constructing the whole time was fake or, at least, not complete. Considering The Office basically invented the mockumentary sitcom (well, the British one did), I love the idea of them closing out their run by screaming "THIS DEVICE IS UNRELIABLE! EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SEEN IS SUSPECT!" It tickles me.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm super-annoyed at the whole "Pam just loves Scranton and wants to live there forever" thing. It's not in keeping with the history of her character. Pam being scared of change, yes, but not wanting to leave Scranton? Please - it's been textual on the show that she feels trapped there, especially back when she was with Roy (see: scene where she realizes that she feels trapped in that city, during the talking head about her dream house, when she starts crying after saying "but that's unrealistic because there are no houses like that in Scranton".).

I'm hoping the writers are of course aware of this and don't intend for it to be actually at all about Scranton or staying at the job or not moving, but I don't entirely trust them to follow through on the hints of this. It just all seems like lazy writing.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum