Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Other Works of JK Rowling

+36
biakbiak
puddingcup
naughty zoot
vwlphb
ulkis
ariadne
Carrie Ann
Skyblade
Unlucky Bear
choubetcha
slmader
emrie
Arabella
laddical
QueenSix
Gilraen
SarahJanet
Gillian
dinahmoe
Author By Night
Jessica
Crackie
Crowbridge
Algae
Poubelle
ActonBell
Paris, Texas
Instant Monkeys
Jamie
Red Wolf
big chicken
epudom
Luthien
jstilwe
particle_person
maxell131313
40 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Other Works of JK Rowling Empty The Other Works of JK Rowling

Post  maxell131313 Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 am

I don't know that this goes in Book Recommendations as much as the I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT TO READ THIS thread, but JK Rowling's new book.

Time to pre-order!

[ETA particle_person - Okay we have a thread for non-HP Rowling books.]
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

The Other Works of JK Rowling Empty The Other Works of JK Rowling

Post  particle_person Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:10 am

The Kindle price is $20? That is the most expensive e-book I have ever seen (that was not a textbook).

Last edited by particle_person on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

The Other Works of JK Rowling Empty Re: The Other Works of JK Rowling

Post  jstilwe Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

I saw "New book from JKR" and went to directly to pre-order without even reading the description. [/fangirl]

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm looking forward to this, but at the same time I feel bad for JKR: the scrutiny on this new book will be intense. It's really her sophomore effort, if you look at Harry Potter as one long book, which in a sense it is. I hope reviewers and readers are fair to her, without the knives out to find fault with something that dares not to be Harry Potter, or lauding it simply because it's from the creator of Harry Potter.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Whatever the critics say, the book will be a hit; all of us Potter fanboys and girls will see to that. If the book isn't especially good from a literary perspective, the one(s) after might not have impressive sales, but I doubt that really matters to her at this stage in her life with her mountains of cash and success.

And yes, I've also pre-ordered it without even reading the synopsis.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, it's supposed to be comic and I always thought comedy was one of JKR's strengths. I think it'll do well.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:06 am

There are advantages to working in a bookshop. We just received some information about the new book. By information, I don't mean plot or any sort of content, of course. I'm talking about release date and embargo details. It will go on sale Thursday 27.9, 8 am British Summer Time. But what amuses me is the hoops that need to be jumped through to receive it and store it before then. You have to print out, fill in, and fax a form to the distributors, saying you won't even open the carton before time.

However, even given that, you have to buy in cartons of 12. I'm in a specialty bookshop, we rarely buy more than four of any title, which includes proven sellers. Can I just order one for myself? Not if I want it on the 27th. Point of sale material - those cardboard stands, posters, bookmarks - will be delivered by 11.9. ABSOLUTELY NOT AFTER!

Then there's some information about considerations. Make sure the all the staff know about these hoops. They can't open the specially marked box before then. In fact, you need to put it in a secure location. You can move the books from the 'secure location' to the actual shop floor 30 minutes beforehand, but don't you dare open it before time. The penalty for breaching all these conditions? Having your supply of these cut off, and maybe even having to return the then-unsold copies.

Then, if you're planning to make an event out of it, will you need help with crowd control?

I see this kind of thing a few times a year. It's quite amazing. While I suppose it's fair to make sure everyone can get it at the exact same time, it still feels completely ridiculous. Also, have there ever been any court cases resulting from breaking this kind of embargo?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Sounds like the hoops required for the HP books. As for court cases, I don't think so but I've never really paid attention. In order to get the books you have to sign an agreement saying you agree to these conditions and the penalty for failure to comply. Big chains or newspapers probably get a slap on the wrist fine. If the NYT's book reviewer decides she's going to review the book, no way is Little Brown & its fellow Hatchette companies going to refuse her copies of books in the future. It's the independent bookstores and small papers who'd suffer the most if they broke the agreement.

When the last HP book came out, I read an interview with someone who'd bought the book a few days early from a small bookstore. He declined to name teh store saying he didn't want the store to be penalized because he felt it had been an honest mistake.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Wow that IS ridiculous. And not really fair to small independent book stores. I'm excited to read this and everything, but nothing like I was for the last few Harry Potters. I don't know any of these characters yet. I'm not going to get it at midnight, run from the bookstore with my fingers in my ears, take a day off work and spend 14 straight hours of media blackout devouring it. (Not that there's anything wrong with people who do plan to do that.)
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:04 pm

I worked at a bookstore for a while in college, and I remember a few of those. When The Green Mile was coming out (in serialized form, if you'll remember, in six tiny paperbacks), we had similar orders about when exactly we were allowed to put them out or even open the carton. Same with The Lost World (Jurassic Park sequel).
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:34 pm

epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 pm

...That book sounds really good. I'd read that if it weren't J.K. Rowling.

I like her. I really do. I feel somehow as if I'd enjoy having her as a friend. I know that's a weird thing to say, and it's not even fannish because even though I'm a fan of Harry Potter, I'm not A Harry Potter Fan (not that there's anything wrong with that; I am A Fan of many things). She just seems thoughtful in a way that I like.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:57 am

"...an odd mash-up of a dark soap opera like “Peyton Place” with one of those very British Barbara Pym novels, depicting small-town, circumscribed lives."

So Michiko Kakutani hates it, but can I say that Peyton Place meets Barbara Pym sounds awesome? I am a massive fan of Barbara Pym and may actually read this novel now!

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:49 am

I find Michiko Kakutani's opinions on books to be suspect (the Armond White of lit crit), so that doesn't exactly deter me from reading.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Well, the first 15 pages are better than he makes them out to be. Though the most compelling scene so far was the one mostly narrated from the POV of a teenage boy, if you're desperate to find Rowling's limitations. There are a fuckload of characters so far and the chapter I'm about to start begins with a brand new lady, so for me, keeping track of who's who is going to be a challenge. Except for Andrew the teen who hates his jackhole dad, I think I might remember him.

It's obviously not so compelling that I was unable to put it down, but OTOH, it's not like there's characters I've read about before or care about or an ongoing magical war.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 pm

It's waiting for me at the library! I'll have to go pick it up today or tomorrow...
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah...I didn't like it. At all. I think HP is amazing, and that JKR is a very talented writer, but I got about 100 pages in before I jumped ship. The story was dull, and I didn't care about any of the characters (well, Andrew was somewhat entertaining, but other than that? Ugh.) Perhaps I just didn't "get" it, but I stopped reading because nothing about it was enjoyable. Disappointing.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:49 am

I don't think it was supposed to be enjoyable. It was more of a character study than an actual story. I liked it - she really drew some portraits of people that felt true - but it's not going to be a book I reread. What did the quote "They're all very unpleasant people" come from? I kept thinking that throughout the book.

It did take me quite some time to get into it. I read about 60 pages, set it aside for a while, and when I was more ready for it (since I knew it was a darker, grimmer book), read the whole thing in a day and a half.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am

Got confused over what thread I'm in.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Algae wrote:I don't think it was supposed to be enjoyable.
Maybe "engrossing" is the word I should have used. TCV just felt like a chore to me.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm about a third of the way do far and I'm enjoying it; I like the fact that I'm this far into it and don't really know if there is anyone I should be rooting for. I'm finding a couple of the characters really intriguing (especially Krystal) and like the way it is showing the seedy underbelly of a small English town.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Finished it today.
Spoiler:

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Can you put the ending in spoilers? I have no idea what happens, but I'm curious.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 am

Rocks fall, everyone dies!

Not really.

Spoiler:

I'm sure I left out things.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah, I reaaaaalllly didn't like it. It was well-written, and parts of it were compelling, but it felt like she decided to see what would happen if Jonathan Franzen wrote 600 pages about the Dursleys. And the ending. My god.

I wish someone had edited it more tightly, too. The
Spoiler:
Not EVERYTHING needs to be 600 pages.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next