Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Other Works of JK Rowling

+36
biakbiak
puddingcup
naughty zoot
vwlphb
ulkis
ariadne
Carrie Ann
Skyblade
Unlucky Bear
choubetcha
slmader
emrie
Arabella
laddical
QueenSix
Gilraen
SarahJanet
Gillian
dinahmoe
Author By Night
Jessica
Crackie
Crowbridge
Algae
Poubelle
ActonBell
Paris, Texas
Instant Monkeys
Jamie
Red Wolf
big chicken
epudom
Luthien
jstilwe
particle_person
maxell131313
40 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Other Works of JK Rowling - Page 2 Empty Re: The Other Works of JK Rowling

Post  ActonBell Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

I think one of the problems of successful authors is that their editors become very wary of offending them or offering constructive criticism so the work doesn't get pared down the way it should. This might have been a good 250 page book, but at 600 pages it's rambling and soporific.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:56 pm

I had a feeling she'd write crime/mystery. One of the things I loved most about the HP books was that the twists were always brilliant, so I expect no less from her. I'm not a huge crime novel person, but I may give it a shot. Has anyone read this?

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Just bought it for my nook. Crime fiction is my FAVORITE! Will report back. It will be a while, though because I am about halfway through "Devil in the White City". True crime is my second favorite.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:09 pm

I remember JKR saying she would probably publish any non-Potter book under a pseudonym but when Casual Vacancy came out under her own name I figured she'd had given up on that idea.  But she did both.  She's so tricky.  

The reviews for the book seem to have been good overall and the mystery aspect of the first Potter books were what drew me in so I have a feeling I'm going to really like this.

I love the pack of lies which is Robert Galbraith's author bio:

After several years with the Royal Military Police, Robert Galbraith was attached to the SIB (Special Investigative Branch), the plain-clothes branch of the RMP. He left the military in 2003 and has been working since then in the civilian security industry. The idea for Cormoran Strike grew directly out of his own experiences and those of his military friends who returned to the civilian world. 'Robert Galbraith' is a pseudonym.

The only truthful thing is Robert Galbraith being a pseudonym.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:20 am

Sweet, the library by my apartment has a copy available. I just put that sucker on hold. I still haven't gotten around to reading The Casual Vacancy, but I love crime fiction, so I'm really eager to read this.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:54 am

Same here. I love crime fiction so I can't wait to read this -- I hadn't heard good things about A Casual Vacancy from friends who had read it, so I had never gotten around to reading it.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:49 pm

I finished it this afternoon, and liked it quite a lot. I don't read a ton of detective fiction but will occasionally, and this was a good example of it. Well-written and quite compelling.

I wish it had been funnier. One of the things I like best about HP is that even when it's grim, it's hilarious. I think what it really boils down to is I just really want another Harry Potter book. Sigh.

I haven't read Casual Vacancy yet, but I recommend this one. Good characters, good story, good writing. But it's no Harry Potter.

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 am

I look forward to the Harry Potter/Cuckoo's Calling fanfic. An epic Auror/Coroman Strike fic has got to be germinating in someone's brain.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm

My book came yesterday! I bought hardcover, gambling that the price of the book might go up in a few years since this printing will sell out instantly (it already has...). In other news, JK Rowling discovers lawyers are gossips too:

https://t.co/7Csyk3BA1K

She is "very angry."
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 pm

She should be; yikes, that is "maintaining client confidences 101."

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Honestly, maybe she should be angry at them, but my experience is that the juicier a secret, the shorter it will remain secret. And that one was a doozy. If it hadn't been this, I think it would have been something else.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm

It's true; but your lawyer is the one person you should be able to expect will never leak anything to the press you don't want leaked.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Yeah, but he didn't leak it to the press, he told his wife's best friend. That's still wrong (and it's pretty unsurprising that it got to the press from there...) but it's not like he spouted off in public. I imagine JKR isn't the only one who feels betrayed today.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 pm

What's he doing telling his wife's best friend anything? Especially when it relates to a client of his law firm. Confidentiality and all that.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:19 pm

I think both are to blame. Fight Club rules sometimes apply at work - don't talk about Fight Club. The lawyer was foolish, and really, it's disturbing to think about what other stuff he's or might have said that could possibly be leaked, things that could actually hurt people. I realize this is different from someone's safety and well being, but it comes down to trust that business will stay in the office. Meanwhile, his "friend" intentionally divulged the information to the twittersphere, which in my eyes makes her at fault, too. Perhaps more at fault, since this was intentional.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Yeah. I blame them both, but her even more than him. There's no way she didn't realize that was wildly wrong.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 pm

The one comment at the link about not having any sympathy for JK because she committed fraud by giving her pseudonym a fake bio for the dust jacket? So much facepalm.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm

The story I read gave me the impression the husband told the wife who told her best friend, but in any case, lawyer guy might want to start polishing up the CV right about now.  Too bad for him this is the real world and he can't just blame this info getting out on on Rita Skeeter and her nefarious methods...

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am

Well, setting aside the legal drama, I downloaded the book on Sunday evening (audiobook) and have been listening to it pretty much nonstop ever since. Just finished it tonight and I really really enjoyed it. It doesn't have the pure inventive genius of Harry Potter - although I wouldn't expect that lightning to strike twice - but it does a really good job within the genre while still creating an interesting, funny, compelling set of characters. I realized I kept getting frustrated that I couldn't Google Lula Landry and Guy Soume and look at this stuff in real life - it felt that vivid! Also I spent the whole time thinking:
Spoiler:

Last edited by emrie on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 am

Yeah. I'll be very surprised if that lawyer isn't sacked. They've basically declared to the world that client confidentiality is not that important to them. They'll lose a lot of business because of this.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Like, at least the woman who leaked the info didn't have a professional duty to keep the information privileged. She shouldn't have had the information in the first place to leak. I hope the guy has other career ideas in mind. Attorney-client privilege is one of the more basic parts of the job. If you can understand the intricacies the law, if you're capable of complex legal arguments, surely you can keep your mouth shut.

Also, should I ever require legal counsel in the UK, I know where I'm definitely NOT going.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Did anyone come across a comment somewhere by a guy who was upset she used a male pseudonym as he only reads male authors and now he can't be sure who's male so has to stick to only very established (male) writers? I think I saw book smugglers cite it on twitter but can't find the reference now.

I snapped the book up from the library as soon as they bought it, gotta get on it before it's due back! I don't even want to know how long the waitlist is.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Frankly, that guy deserves whatever reading anguish he's going through if he's so adamant about reading only male authors that he can't even bear the thought of accidentally reading a book written by a woman.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Honestly that is the saddest funniest thing I have read today. Instead of drawing the conclusion that, "hey, I liked that, maybe I can't actually tell the difference between female and male authors, perhaps I should give more women a try," he's like OH NOEZ I AM BURNED RETREAT RETREAT!
--

I started the book yesterday, and I'm liking it so far.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next