Benedict Cumberbatch

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 2 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  salamandersam on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:37 am

Yeah, I think the word is hugely problematic. And from what I've seen, there's infighting amongst fans over the word. At least from what I've seen on Tumblr, which is often the dregs of the internet. Someone will post that the word bitch is offensive to women with responses of "it's just in fun, I roll my eyes at people who get upset". Whatevs, 15 year old, you're thinking it fun doesn't take away that often it's used in an offensive manner.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:10 am

It sounds less like a term for fans and more like a mean nickname the other kids at school who hate a girl with that last name would come up with.

I hope his movie filming in NOLA doesn't have too many exterior scenes.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:19 am

I'm not sure why so many people these days seem to feel the need to come up with embarrassing names for their fan clubs. Having watched a couple of interviews of him on UK talk shows (thanks YouTube), the "cumberbitches" thing always comes up. He seems to be genuinely humbled by the fact Sherlock has made him something of a sex symbol. From what I can tell, he just wants to be a good actor, and keep getting better at his job.

I really hope for whatever he's filming in NOLA, he has to change his hair color again. Maybe that will keep him for getting recognized.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm

At this point I refuse to say I am a fan of any pasty classy British actor, and just say I enjoy there work, like its been said here before. They seem to be a magnet for the crazy and the embarassing.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  FiggyPudding on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:43 pm

I was just watching a rerun episode of "Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking" and discovered he's the voice of Stephen Hawking. He has a soothing voice.

FiggyPudding

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:25 pm

He played Stephen Hawking in a tv movie. He was quite good.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 am

Anybody here seen or planning to see the rerun of the National Theatre production of Frankenstein? I guess it's being shown around the US and UK again this summer. I was able to catch a show in my area, although unfortunately it was the version with Benedict as Victor Frankenstein rather than the Creature. He was excellent as the scientist, but I have heard he's a revelation as the Monster. Anyhoo, if it is in your area, and you're a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch or Johnny Lee Miller, it is worth seeking out, even though the ticket price is sorta ridiculous. I'd really like to catch the reverse-cast version, but I am not sure if I want to drop another $20 to see it.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 am

Rhilin wrote:
salamandersam wrote:I'm wondering if NOLA will be descended upon by Cumberbitches...

This is terrible. Did people actively decide that this is what they should be called, as fans? Was there a vote? This is why I hate being enthusiastic about anything. You get an embarrassing nickname without your say.* God, I'm so depressed now...
WAIT!? Is this what his fans call *themselves*?! I thought it was an insult other people invented for his most annoying fans.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Nope. They do. And they also use "Cumber-" as a prefix for random nouns.

Don't ask me why. I just work here.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 pm

And they also use "Cumber-" as a prefix for random nouns.

Paddy Joe Cumberbund is Batman?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Quick! To the Cumber-cave, Robin Watson Freeman!

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:33 pm

He'll have to call him on the Cumber-phone. Oh, but also, remind him to pick up more Cumber-rangs and Cumber-shark repellent on the way back.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Oh and don't forget we need petrol in the Cumber-mobile. And maybe some extra Cumber-cumbers for the Cumber pickles.

Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 am

After doing some cumber-canning, we should probably set out the cumber-suits, cumber-links and cumber-cumber-cumber-cumber-bunds for the charity auction at Benedict Cumber-towers.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 am

With that, this cumber-joke has cumber-ficially gone too cumber-cumbing far.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm

laddical wrote:With that, this cumber-joke has cumber-ficially gone too cumber-cumbing far.

So you're saying it suc-cumbered?
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:43 am

Bah cumberbug.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I saw both castings back to back here in Austin. (As an NT Live production - man, that's the way to see theatre...so much detail and no bad seat.) They showed a little making-of video and it's hilarious to see Ben stumping about like an overgrown teenager when he's not acting. Hee. The VOICE never changes, though, and it's delicious.

Anyway, I would have to say that the production IS a revelation - so, so fantastic. Jonny is edgier, rougher, more vicious; Ben is more graceful but menacing. There is more emotional conflict in Ben's performance as Victor; Jonny's Victor seems to have absolutely no desires beyond the next puzzle to solve. The extended duet scenes, particularly the three main ones between Victor and the Creature, just flattened me. So powerful. The rest of the cast holds their own reasonably well, and the script is fantastic. The book is really, really dark and the play doesn't attempt to redeem it.

Do catch it if you have the chance. DVD would also be worth it.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks sixchooks! I'm seeing one version on Saturday, and the next the following week, and you've made me *really* excited to see them!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm

To my surprise, I preferred Johnny in both roles, even though I went in thinking I'd like Benedict more.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:33 pm

epudom wrote:To my surprise, I preferred Johnny in both roles, even though I went in thinking I'd like Benedict more.

I enjoyed both actors interpretation of the Creature, as different as they were, but I preferred Benedict as Victor Frankenstein. I really liked the way he played the scene where Frankenstein is persuaded to give Creature what he wants. I think I also preferred the way he played the scenes with Elizabeth. Anyway, both actors really are great in both roles, and their scenes together just absolutely crackle. I have also heard that the National Theater does not release or plan to release any of the plays they have filmed on DVD. So if you can see it, please do so. I think it's a shame because it would certainly bring the productions to a wider audience that way.

The biggest surprise to me: the amount of humor in the show! Which I have to say was quite welcome given some of the stuff that happens.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm going to see it tonight (a broadcast from the National Theatre to my local arts cinema). Benedict is the Creature. Looking forward to it!

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:14 pm

It's amazing to me they wouldn't release a DVD of this at some point. Given the high profile of Benedict, not to mention the publicity around "Elementary" you'd think it'd be a no-brainer. Hopefully someone will come to their senses in the (near) future and throw a bone to those of us without a chance of seeing it!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:24 pm

I think the lack of DVD's has to do with negotiating the rights of everyone involved or something like that. IIRC, this came up a few months ago and the word that came back was that nobody is really against the idea but it would be a bit of a nightmare legally.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:46 pm

QueenSix wrote:I think the lack of DVD's has to do with negotiating the rights of everyone involved or something like that. IIRC, this came up a few months ago and the word that came back was that nobody is really against the idea but it would be a bit of a nightmare legally.

I know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing, but what kind of rights are at issue? I've seen several DVDs of theatre productions on sale at the RSC, so it's not unknown. And basically I want them to bring it out so I can see it the other way round - there's a showing on saturday with Benedict as Frankenstein and Jonny Lee Miller as the Creature, but it's sold out.

It was fabulous. I was very impressed with the physicality of Benedict's acting for the Creature. And on a shallow note JLM was rather saucy in period costume.

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum