Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benedict Cumberbatch

+38
Shalamar
bbridges
rivki8699
MtOlivePickles
whatthedeuce
year of the cat
Instant Monkeys
Corellderaan
mialoubug
naughty zoot
Dachelle
izzypop
Pop'n'Fresh
QueenSix
sagitare
ariadne
epudom
sixchooks
Putli Bai
Crackie
FiggyPudding
Kiran
Poubelle
Rhilin
salamandersam
eco
blixie
Agent Sculder
puddingcup
Genevieve
Gallifrey Girl
bookworm
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
Coneycat
laddical
Cynara
particle_person
42 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 4 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  whatthedeuce Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 am

Has he gotten thinner lately? I recall him looking more imposing in Atonement, but when I saw a quick commercial for Letterman or some other talk show that he was gonna be on a few days ago, he looked incredibly thin. Like walking stick thin to the point of creeping me out.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 am

whatthedeuce wrote:Has he gotten thinner lately? I recall him looking more imposing in Atonement, but when I saw a quick commercial for Letterman or some other talk show that he was gonna be on a few days ago, he looked incredibly thin. Like walking stick thin to the point of creeping me out.

He loses weight whenever he's playing Sherlock, and I believe that's his choice for the character, not something the producers asked him to do. He's not that big anyway (except height wise) so I can imagine he's looking a bit spindly. Once the filming is over, he usually gains the weight back pretty quickly. It's the one part of him playing Sherlock that I don't like. He looks better with the extra ten pounds. Whenever I see Sherlock on screen I want to give him a cookie.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 am

Oh, so it's definitely a conscious choice then. Got it. Thanks, Agent Sculder!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Kiran wrote:Yeah, I enjoy him too and keep telling myself that
Spoiler:
I've read that elsewhere and I keep telling myself the same thing, too, because I want to like him.

I think he looks better with the extra weight and also with lighter hair. I came across a photo of him with red hair once and I think that's probably his best color.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Poubelle wrote:I think he looks better with the extra weight and also with lighter hair. I came across a photo of him with red hair once and I think that's probably his best color.

The red hair is his natural color, which is probably why it looks best on him. I actually don't think it's quite red, it basically a lot like mine: light brown with red in it. His hair is also naturally curly, which is why he usually keeps it short. If you see some of the earlier things he was in where he was able to keep his natural hair color, and isn't Sherlock thin, he's much more conventionally handsome. One of my favorites was an episode of Miss Marple where he plays a former police officer recently returned to the UK from abroad. For whatever reason I found him super hot in that part.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Luke Williams or something, right? Normally I like people in their natural hair color, but I prefer BC with his dark, Sherlock hair. It strengthens his features, his chin and eyes look too weak otherwise.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 am

I had honestly never heard him speak until I saw ST:ID today. Now I kind of understand the obsession.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Fri May 17, 2013 3:36 am

I do enjoy a good photobomb.

I am pleased to know he's a natural redhead (or reddish head, anyway). Red hair is awesome, and somebody just needs to figure out a role where he HAS to be a ginger, and also where the filming goes on long-term.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 am

Poubelle wrote:I am pleased to know he's a natural redhead (or reddish head, anyway). Red hair is awesome, and somebody just needs to figure out a role where he HAS to be a ginger, and also where the filming goes on long-term.

I keep thinking he would have been a good fit as Bill Weasley had they chosen to include that character more in the films.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 am

I still think 'Cabin Pressure' is one of the best things he's been in.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Fri May 17, 2013 3:16 pm

I love Cabin Pressure, but it's the whole crew that I adore. Really, I came for Cumberbatch, then stayed for Finnemore.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 pm

So, as much as I like Cumberbatch in Sherlock, and as much as I adore his voice
Spoiler:
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm

He may not have known what role he was taking. JJ's notoriously tight lipped and Cumberbatch doesn't have the rank to demand to read the script if Abrams and the studio decide that's something that's "need to know".
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

laddical wrote:He may not have known what role he was taking. JJ's notoriously tight lipped and Cumberbatch doesn't have the rank to demand to read the script if Abrams and the studio decide that's something that's "need to know".

If that's what happened, then I can go back to enjoying Sherlock without guilt. :)
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 pm

All the interviews he's done have indicated that he didn't have a script or knew what character he was auditioning for, so I'm cool with him. Given the amount of penalties and clauses that would go into effect if he dropped the role after finding out about Kahn (not to mention the rep damage), I get why he did it.

Doesn't make me happy though.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

Hes getting a lot of hate for it, but honestly I'm more forgiving of him, then say, Carey Mulligan, who I've always side eyed for openly going for a role written for a Latina in Drive and begging the director to change it.

And as much as I liked that movie, I've side eyed the director too.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Dude, now I'm side-eying Mulligan and I've never seen her in anything.

It's just a shitty place for him. And where is he getting hate? Besides online?

Really, the mister and I agreed we want to see him in a remake of Something Wild. That would be hilarious.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm

I think just online, but those people can be insane.

I think Mulligan is a great actress and actually seems really lovely otherwise, but its such a privilege to be able to beg for a role written for a minority and not even think about why that's not okay.

At first I thought you meant the Ray Liotta role. And I was like....um...

Actually a Something Wild remake may be the perfect way to hook him and Mila Kunis up. And cast Tom Hardy in the Ray Liotta role. There you go.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Online can be nuts. And not very forgiving of his foot-in-the-mouth rambling antics.

I wonder why people don't sit down and think about why this is shitty shit to do, but that's just me.

And I like your idea. Especially if we have Tom Hardy half naked, tatted-up and being nuts. Like in Bronson. This is brilliant.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm

From what I've heard he really had no idea what role he was auditioning for, and he didn't see the script until after he was cast. It was apparently all a part of the deal. And then I imagine he was sworn to secrecy along with everyone else in the cast. So yeah, totally not his fault.

No matter the crazy rambling on the Internets, I'm sure things will work out fine for him. He's a very good actor, and he's versatile (and willing) enough to do stage, film, TV, and voice work, so I can't imagine he's going to lack for work in the near future.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm

I think a lot of the hate is because he is Benedict Cumberbatch and people feel completely justified hating on him in general. There was no comparable backlash against Tom Hardy for playing Bane who is Latino in the comics and even though the film changed it, still seemed of indeterminate but somewhat Arab/Middle Eastern descent. I don't think everyone feels this way, because obviously it is a real problem but the kind of personal attacks against BC have less to do with concern over the casting and more to do with "Now my hate of Benedict Cumberbatch is totally justified so I will kick it into even higher gears."
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 am

bbridges wrote:I think a lot of the hate is because he is Benedict Cumberbatch and people feel completely justified hating on him in general. There was no comparable backlash against Tom Hardy for playing Bane who is Latino in the comics and even though the film changed it, still seemed of indeterminate but somewhat Arab/Middle Eastern descent. I don't think everyone feels this way, because obviously it is a real problem but the kind of personal attacks against BC have less to do with concern over the casting and more to do with "Now my hate of Benedict Cumberbatch is totally justified so I will kick it into even higher gears."

Oh yeah. I think I follow the people on Tumblr who hate him on principal alone, so I've been seeing wall-to-wall disgust when it comes to him. I had no idea that he even had hardcore fangirls until I started venturing out of that circle, and honestly, the haters annoy me more than the fans do.

Last edited by MtOlivePickles on Sun May 26, 2013 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Extremes on both ends annoy the fuck out of me. I wonder how crazy it is in the UK regarding him, because it's gotta be more crazy than here. And really, sometimes he does sound clueless in interviews and needs a gentle twap upside the head.

But I can't criticize too hard, because I ramble like a motherfucker too (except with more mouth noises a la Mel Brooks).
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu May 23, 2013 5:30 pm

One of his fans was living near him and would tweet what he was doing. Like would peep in the window and tweet about it.

That is so creepy.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 pm

I remember reading that and how his friends had to go and ask her to stop.

His fans are on par with Hiddleston in weirdness. There was that one lady who was pretty obsessive over him during the Frankenstein run.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum