Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Etiquette

+21
Raksha
katesti
mokey75
Shalamar
punzy
Putli Bai
Red Wolf
mayram
CherryFlame
blixie
Wildog27
Luthien
vwlphb
Unlucky Bear
QueenSix
jcpdiesel21
Agent Sculder
RiverThames
MtOlivePickles
laddical
Binky
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Movie Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Movie Etiquette

Post  katesti Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:04 am

We saw Guardians on Monday at noon, and there were many inappropriately-aged children there, including a baby who couldn't have been much older than my own five-and-a-half-month old. They were quiet, but I just couldn't fathom dragging my tiny baby to such a noisy and bombastic couple of hours. I contemplated taking both girls to movies when they were super tiny and still sleeping all the time - putting them in a sling or wrap and seeing something quiet - but never got around to it. I get that. But taking your wide-awake and curious infant to the latest Marvel thing, when there is CHILD CARE AVAILABLE RIGHT THERE IN THE THEATER is not something I get.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:38 pm

I hated everything about living in rural Wyoming (which is pretty much all of Wyoming, honestly), but one small silver lining of living in a town that's too fucking poor to update buildings was that the movie theater, which was built in the early 50s, had a cry room.  It was at the back of the theater and you could walk right in if your kid was being loud or if your baby was crying.  There were seats and you could still see the screen and hear the movie, but the rest of the theater couldn't hear your kids.  I really, really wish theaters would put those in again.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Yeah, why don't they have that anymore? It's weird

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Going by what I saw when I worked at the cinema, TPTB would consider a crying room as seats they couldn't sell. It'd be like dead space. So take out the walls and hey presto, more bums on seats and more money.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:00 am

Except for summer superhero movies (which I am a sucker for), most of the movies I tend to go see are R-rated, and I am always amazed when people bring small children to see them. I quite vividly remember going to 300 the day it opened and seeing people bring KIDS into the theater. I'm sure the logic was that since the movie was based on a comic book it had to be FINE for kids. The same thing happened with Watchmen. Since then, I've come to realize that R-rated action movies are among the worst movies to see in person because so many people think they're OK for kids.

I actually noticed today that the movie theater I tend to go to says they will not admit children under 6 to R-rated films after 6 PM, which makes me think maybe I can try seeing R-rated movies there, but only at night. I just wish the rule was no children under 10 admitted to R-rated films. Period.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 am

I'll always remember going to see Body of Lies, where Leo DiCaprio gets his fingers smashed with a hammer as a form of torture, a scene that is quite gruesome and to this day etched in my brain. Two kids, ages about 8 & 12, were sitting in front of me. This movie seemed it wouldn't be interesting to kids anyway.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:08 am

I will never forget the 2(ish) year old in front of us at Natural Born Killers at a 10 pm show. The "best" part was that he clearly knew which of the words in the movie were bad, because he would shout them out repeatedly when one of the characters said them with a big grin on his face. He fell asleep like an hour in, thankfully. I don't know why we didn't complain to an usher or something - it didn't even occur to us, honestly.

mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:40 am

Back in my movie theater days we once had a woman curse out the management for not allowing her to bring her 5 year old to see the unrated Texas Chainsaw Massacre II.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:00 pm

QueenSix wrote:Going by what I saw when I worked at the cinema, TPTB would consider a crying room as seats they couldn't sell. It'd be like dead space. So take out the  walls and hey presto, more bums on seats and more money.

bah humbug

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:01 am

My husband and I went to see the new X-Men movie at like 10:45 a while back and I was amazed by the number of people who brought their 3- and 4-year-olds to the showing. Like, shouldn't these kids be in BED and not at a movie that ends after midnight?

Oh god, I'm turning into my mother.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:59 am

I hate reserved seat theaters. They're just a hotbed for bad theater etiquette. For one, there's no way to move away from someone who is being loud or obnoxious. Secondly, it makes the people who come in after the movie has started extra annoying since they're looking for specific seats instead of just grabbing any they see. Especially when someone has taken their seats and they have to argue over who should be there. And third, I have both seen and been in the situation where people come late (usually after the movie has begun) and start asking people settled into their pre-reserved seats to shift around so that they can get two seats or three seats or whatever all together. If the movie has started, I don't want to talk and I don't want to argue and I don't want to move.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Not to mention the fact that it can get sold out so easily at random times when it shouldn't be, at least in the dine in ones (do they have reserved seating without it being a dine-in?)

The first time I went the attendants who kept asking me if I wanted anything else were annoying too but I hear they've cooled down on that now in the theater where I went.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:17 pm

ulkis wrote:Not to mention the fact that it can get sold out so easily at random times when it shouldn't be, at least in the dine in ones (do they have reserved seating without it being a dine-in?)

Seriously. We've been trying to get to a dine-in theater for a couple of months now, but unless you buy tickets WAY in advance, all of the reasonable showtimes are sold out. I don't want to eat dinner at 10:40 PM and that's typically the only option left (unless it's a total crap movie that absolutely no one else wants to see, which...neither do I. :)

I want to try it just for the experience, but it's been impossible to get in there so far.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:42 pm

I love the reserved seat theatres. I've done both dine-in and regular reserved, and I'm not overly fond of the dine-in, but more because of how distracting everyone's food was. The regular reserved theatres are the only reason I see blockbusters opening weekends. That I can buy my tickets a couple of days in advance and not worry about the battle to get there hours early to get only a half decent seat is heavenly. I don't find that they sell out early, but it could just be where I live. Honestly, after my first AVX experience, I actually uttered the words, "I can never go back."
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2