The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Page 18 of 24 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next

Go down

The Marvel Cinematic Universe - Page 18 Empty Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Kiran wrote:I don't just because
Spoiler:
while I thought they had a nice vibe it was not romantic to me at all. I would like to see more of their interaction though. I did actually like Gamora and Quill though. I liked that they didn't oversell that aspect, and I liked her kind of "wtf is wrong with you?" softening into a more affectionate "this idiot here."

Spoiler:
Yeah, I get what you mean. I may have twigged onto something where I end up going, "Am I the only one? Eh." I think that right now I can't see Gamora and Quill because of the whole "this idiot here." But if the relationships continue to change and shift, then I might change my mind (aka see Ugly Betty and Daniel/Betty where I didn't want it during the show because Betty was always busy taking care of him like a sister)
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Also
Spoiler:
at least they both seemed to think the other was hot. At the very least I bought them as people who kinda liked each other and grew to have real affection for each other, and were probably attracted to each other. That was believable to me. I might have rolled my eyes if they were like SOUUUULMAAAATES.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 am

I think my favorite part was the
Spoiler:
"dance-off" between Peter and Ronan. Ronan was looking at Peter with a "WTF?" expression, and Gamora was all "No WAY, crazy man!" when Peter dramatically held out his hand for her to dance with him.
Hee hee.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 pm

bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:56 pm

$360??? I love Rocket and Groot, but c'mon!
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:59 pm

DIY. Buy dancing plant. Rename it Groot.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Damn, Hot Toys are so expensive. They look fantastic, though. I desperately want a few Avengers, even though I have kind of an aversion to having stuff that doesn't have a function. They're that awesome.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:15 am

I saw this last night and I have to agree with Shalamar
Spoiler:
the 'dance-off' was my absolute favourite bit. "What are you doing?" The entire theatre was dying right then.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 pm

We saw this tonight and it was so much fun. There was a couple in the same row as us but a few seats over who, going by how they were at this, must be nearly insufferable watching films at home. When the characters were discussing their (lack of) plan, the guy went "Time for the Go Team speech" and then when they all stood up on screen, both him and her loudly went "Awww". And both of them seemed unable to have a thought that couldn't wait to be told to the other in a loud whisper. I hated them. Shut up and watch the film or get lost. (It's a good thing I tone down my inner only child or I'd have no friends).

The dance-off, oh I was weak laughing. There was some great moments. I am now firmly on the Groot bandwagon. Rocket is the best. I have only love for Groot and Rocket.

We stayed for the post credit scene and it was obvious that nobody in the screen knew who
Spoiler:
Howard the Duck
was. Except me but I only knew because all of you told me.

One thing I didn't care for:
Spoiler:
Drax suddenly calling Gamora a whore? Is this James Gunn's 'mewling quim' moment? I thought it made less of Drax's character because up until then he was someone grieving for his wife and daughter. Now he's throwing cheap insults at her. It was lazy, I felt.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Just saw it again. Loved it again. I was left thinking Avengers 2 made be the big showdown with Thanos and my bring the Avengers, the Guardians, and potentially Asgard (Whedon made it clear that Loki was not the biggest fan of the Titan) teaming up to bring down the Big Bad.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm

I think that's exactly right, only I think it's the endgame--maybe the third movie? I think Thanos is the Big Big Bad and we aren't there yet--there are more Infinity Gems to be found (I'm assuming the blue one is the Tesseract, the purple one whatever this is, and the red is the dark matter from Thor 2) and more story to be explored. If anything, since this is the middle part of a trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised if Avengers 2 ends with them seemingly defeated/fractured/whatever, the other characters' sequels weaving in/around each other, and then the 3rd movie being everything you described.  AND I CANNOT WAIT.

(Also, Black Widow movie, seriously, for God's sake.)

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Honestly, I love Pratt's idea for meeting Iron Man. But I'm also a sucker for a Weekend at Bernie's riff.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:44 pm

I would love a Black Widow movie that did an origin story for her--her time in the Red Room, working with the Winter Soldier, meeting Hawkeye, and then her/Clint/Coulson kicking ass and taking names and then ending with her going to babysit Stark. There is much potential to a kind of La Femme Nikita and then redemption arc plus her, Renner, and Gregg being all snarky and driving Sam Jackson nuts.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:40 am

Soooo I just got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy and I absolutely LOVED it. Chris Pratt, where have you been all my life? Not only are you hot, you are HILARIOUS. I just adored all the members of the team, and I loved that for the most part this was a FUN movie. Yeah, at the end they had to "save the world" but it wasn't grim or dark, or the least bit gritty. Thank goodness that someone at Marvel realizes that there can be a happy medium between campy and relentlessly dark.

I think I enjoyed this almost as much as I did The Avengers which really surprised me. I think it really helped the film tremendously that it was so well cast. I'm not familiar with the comic at all, but I had a great time, and came out of the movie wanting to spend more time with them.

But I must say, after all the success that Marvel is having with its movies, the excuses about NOT doing a female superhero movie are starting to piss me off. Reading that Kevin Feige has said that they want to do one, but that there are "timing" issues just rings incredibly hollow to me. No one is clamoring for Ant-Man, but plenty of people have said they would love to see a Black Widow movie. I'd also be down for a movie led by Gamora. I know they supposedly have this whole "schedule" planned out for years, but does that mean they never even imagined doing a movie where the main hero is female?

I will laugh and laugh if DC manages to finally get Wonder Woman her own film before Marvel figures something out.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Saw it for a second time.

In regards to the troublesome piece of dialogue (and holy shit does Salon have a stick up its butt about this movie), maybe they were going to have him call her a "bitch", but backed off of that and went with whore instead. There's probably something that could have got the point across better keeping with Draw being so literal though.

You'd think Lucy topping the box office would have Marvel chomping at the bit for a solo Black Widow movie.

That and Black Panther is one of the few good black characters in comics, Blade was a pillar of the resurgence of comics movies and it would tap an underserved audience.

You can argue oversaturation, but those are two I'd go with before Ant-Man

When i see the casting of Scarlet Witch, this is all I can think of.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Because we all need a
spoiler:

gif in our lives.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Speaking of Blade, I wonder if the rights have reverted to Marvel yet. He'd make an interesting addition to the line-up, maybe give him a mini-arc that crosses his and Doctor Strange's movies.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:48 pm

laddical wrote:Speaking of Blade, I wonder if the rights have reverted to Marvel yet. He'd make an interesting addition to the line-up, maybe give him a mini-arc that crosses his and Doctor Strange's movies.

And when does the rights to Wesley Snipes paycheck revert back to him from the US Government?
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 pm

The Dude wrote:

You'd think Lucy topping the box office would have Marvel chomping at the bit for a solo Black Widow movie.

Probably. But with ScarJo pregnant, a Black Widow movie wouldn't be practical for a bit.

There's another practical concern, in that Black Widow has no mask, and is played by possibly the biggest bankable female star right now. It depends on how she's contracted, but a new contract for a BW movie would probably be quite a big payday for her. You add that on top of the fact that more of the action sequences would have to be done by ScarJo herself, because... no mask. (For example, large portions of the Spiderman action scenes can be done with just stunt people, not even calling Andrew Garfield to set.)

That said, if they made Black Widow: Red Ledger, I would gladly hand all the money to them.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 am

Well, to be honest, Johansson would still be masked only 25% less than most cinematic superheroes. Even less for the big climax.

But it's believed that Johansson's contract distinctly hires her for supporting. If she has her own movie, that is literally a whole other deal.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:52 am

I read somewhere Marvel marketing did research that suggested movie heroes being masked too much was a detriment and that's why there's some contrived removal of them during the climax.

Plus I heard ScaJo is like BFFs with her stunt double.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 am

And its not like she is masked any less than Thor.

I think I'd be less irritated if Kevin Feige in talking up a superheroine led movie wouldn't make it sound like he is trying to repeal DOMA. All the "right time, right script...its a real process" irritates me. You made a intergalactic space adventure starring a raccoon, a tree and Zoolander's Mugatu work. You can make a Miss Marvel movie work. Hell, you don't have to cast Katee Sackoff even though that is what tumblr and (lbr) Sackhoff herself is hinting at. There are lots of tall hot blondes in Hollywood. Its not even difficult.

Same thing with a POC super hero. Black Panther is a good character with a long history. People will go see it. I mean, like its been mentioned before, the only reason there IS a marvel is because Blade made money and opened people back up to the idea of superhero films. There are so many young, talented black actors you can cast. SO MANY.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:23 am

And like Tony Stark you don't have to go THAT young with T'Challa. I know Honsou is a bit old for them, but he's still in great shape, actually from Africa (I know Togo is far off from Fictional East African Wakanda, but I figure they can take some liberties), already voice acted the part and a semi marketable name with two Oscar nominations. You'd have to cast a high profile actor as the villain, and I would avoid using the name Man-Ape. There is also a good enough back story there to avoid dipping into the ham-fisted efforts like Black Lightning and Apache Chief.

The MCU deserves some credit for the baby steps of going with The Ultimates Version of Nick Fury and having ethnically neutral casting of Asgardans, although I suspect it was mainly because they were Wire fans and I was disappointed Hogun was an outsider. But it was enough to piss of White Supremists, so it worked.

Awesome Mix tops the charts

Even director James Gunn seemed taken aback, posting on Facebook, “Haha! The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is the NUMBER ONE record in the country! All those days as a child I spent locked in a room listening to AM radio were not wasted!” He also added, quite ominously, “Somewhere in a boardroom right now a movie executive is trying to give a film that’s not testing well the ‘Guardians soundtrack treatment but with a new twist’ - say, nineties grunge hits over a buddy action comedy. This is something you will not thank me for.”
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 am

Apparently he was dancing baby Groot. Having the director's dancing moves behind that scene makes it even better.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Kiran wrote:And its not like she is masked any less than Thor.

Part of that argument I read noted that, but also noted that ScarJo was also far more famous than Chris Hemsworth when initial contracts were signed, so her contract is likely more lucrative.

I think I'd be less irritated if Kevin Feige in talking up a superheroine led movie wouldn't make it sound like he is trying to repeal DOMA. All the "right time, right script...its a real process" irritates me. You made a intergalactic space adventure starring a raccoon, a tree and Zoolander's Mugatu work. You can make a Miss Marvel movie work. Hell, you don't have to cast Katee Sackoff even though that is what tumblr and (lbr) Sackhoff herself is hinting at. There are lots of tall hot blondes in Hollywood. Its not even difficult.

To an extent, he's not wrong, though.  There's a certain "twice as good to go as far" factor in play.  If a Captain Marvel or Black Widow or She-Hulk (or Black Panther or Falcon) or what have you movie merely does "fine" instead of blockbuster, then they'll point to it and say, "See?  Audience won't go for a female-led movie."  I agree, it sounds like excuses, but he's right in the sense that they have to have it be a total slam out of the park when they do it.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 24 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next