Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mindy Project

+25
Heather
Sheli
Author By Night
choubetcha
Kiran
Instant Monkeys
mokey75
ActonBell
dionneshea
emrie
jstilwe
Muggsy
biakbiak
Binky
Matinee
puddingcup
blixie
queenofdenile
Miss Moneypenny
Gallifrey Girl
nikita
Morning Angel
TiffanyNichelle
Shalamar
Paris, Texas
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Mindy Project Empty The Mindy Project

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 am

So will this show be all about Mindy mooning after cute white dudes?
I liked the non-Jess parts of The New Girl the best, and I enjoy female-centric comedies so I hope I find this watchable.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

The Mindy Project Empty Re: The Mindy Project

Post  Shalamar Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 am

I adore Mindy, and I really liked the pilot. I have high hopes for this one.

(It probably helps that How Harry Met Sally is one of my all-time favorite movies. My husband and I credit it with bringing us together, and our wedding song was "It Had To Be You".)
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I kind of liked it.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:19 pm

I liked it a lot too. I'll definitely tune in next week.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Same here. I liked it and will check it out again next week. I never watched The Office, but somewhere along the way I started to love Mindy Kaling.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:10 pm

I wanted to like it! I like her on The Office, I read her book and enjoyed it, but I thought the first episode was kinda terrible. I was so disappointed!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Lainey (of all people!) kind of nailed my unease about the two episodes I've seen:

Fictional Mindy seems kind of mean – and not in a funny way.

Yup. The only thing that made me laugh tonight was "No more stealing cars."
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:27 pm

I watched the second episode (haven't seen the pilot yet), and was surprised by how "eh" I felt about it. I'm not sure I like Fictional Mindy very much, either, and I already really dislike the doctor she has the antagonistic relationship with. Meanwhile, I watched a full episode of New Girl for the first time and liked it a lot.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 am

already really dislike the doctor she has the antagonistic relationship with.

OMG I know, I hate him and think they are chemistry free. I'm like really? I'm supposed to root for that, over the comparably hilarious and harmless Jeremy?

I did laugh really hard at everything with the male nurse, "I draw blood so painlessly I'm like a giant mosquito" and the fact that Mindy calls meetings during the Oscar ballots.

I don't mind her being prickly, I like that she's imperfect, and I don't know that the show itself is asking us to love her like a best girlfriend even if the marketing is, but it really needs to be funnier and find a way for the male lead to be less of a charmless douchebag, because both he and Mindy being jerkasses is not a cute.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 am

Really? I was disappointed by the pilot, but I thought this episode was funny. I don't think fictional Mindy is particularly likable, but I don't mind. I'm enjoying all of the guest appearances by friends of the show: Ed Helms, Hader, Meyers. I love Stephen Tobolowsky (I loved his podcasts). I loved the Beverly nurse storyline. "Why are you wearing a wetsuit?"

(It was really jarring to see Mindy carrying a Birkin bag, all latched up too, on the subway and everything. It doesn't fit it with her character.)

ETA: ok, I went and watched it again, and still really liked it. I actually didn't like all of the bickering between Mindy and Danny, which was the bulk of the episode, but I liked so many small moments throughout that they made up for it: the tote bag, the receptionists getting really excited by the fact that the date was an architect (something I've seen in real life too), the blood stealing, crying over a box of Girl Scout cookies (the black girl and white girl petting a horse together), the one candidate naming all of Angie and Brad's kids during the interview, the second saving from a mugging to get "even", and the punch in the nose.

In addition to the Birkin, another detail that bugged me, has Mindy never heard of asking for a taste before you buy your frozen yoghurt? Also, the bustier was a mistake.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 am

I don't think we are supposed to particularly like her or feel like she's a girlfriend, despite the marketing. I mean, this is the woman who wrote some of the most painful Michael Scott instances. I think she enjoys writing characters who the audience isn't sure what they should think of.

I laughed so hard at "Maybe you don't like frozen yoghurt?". So dumb that it just tickled me.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

Those are all good points, and maybe I'm judging the show the wrong way by comparing real-life Mindy (who I find VERY likable) to show Mindy. I'm going to catch up on the pilot, and try to separate the two Mindys in my mind like real-life NPH and Harold and Kumar NPH.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:22 pm

I liked the second episode way better than the pilot. I laughed quite a bit, especially at the "hiring an al-queda terrorist" bit. I think it also did better in reducing Mindy's monologue-ing, which I think is her weakest acting because it comes off very stand up comic.

I wonder how many of Mindy's friends are going to be appearing. Ed Helms and Seth Myers almost feels like cheating in terms of upping the show's likability, except that obviously it's an excellent strategy and not cheating at all.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:57 pm

biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Muggsy Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 pm

This episode was so much better than the first two! Whole show works better as an ensemble and without the forced pairings.

Muggsy

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Muggsy wrote:This episode was so much better than the first two! Whole show works better as an ensemble and without the forced pairings.
I thought so too! My favorite bit was Mindy's reaction to finding out the receptionist had a crush on Danny: "It's like if Hermione liked Voldemort." I also loved the VIP conversation about mix tapes and green tea.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Such a better episode. I loved that Danny's a great dancer. It's surprising things like that that make characters feel real, or endearingly entertaining. Plus Chris Messina is kinda hot. (I've loved him since Six Feet Under).

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm still not feeling it. Maybe I expected more because it's Mindy Kaling, but I don't feel like I've seen much on this show than I haven't seen on most other shows. Obviously every plot has been done before, but the execution of it doesn't seem that refreshing yet.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 am

I am taking these past two episodes as the fact that Mindy and BJ are going to get together and have wee little beige babies.

BJ giving himself the heimlich maneuver on a parking meter made me cackle. I also enjoyed Jeremy's "human touching, not dog touching."
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:15 pm

I really liked this episode, even though Susan Sarandon's daughter always bugs me (can't figure out why). This show is my favorite new comedy.

- Can BJ Novak only act like a jerk? His character turned out to be a more academic and wittier version of Ryan. I did like his and Mindy's banter, though more in the previous episode.
- Morgan's doll parts were hilarious.
- I'm glad Eyepatch is gone.
- MoMA doesn't give out stickers.
- "Human touching, not dog touching." (Yep, biakbiak, the best line.)
- "I don't know, I'm not Italian."
- "I feel like this wouldn't have happened if I'd worn the first dress."

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 pm

I really loved the cold open. Mostly because it seemed ridiculous, but not too ridiculous. Especially considering the fact that the security getting into the Empire State Building seems even more strict than most airports.

The whole episode amused me. My favourite throw away lines were Mindy being upset with Danny for when he set her up with his garbage man Ronaldo because although he was hot, he was pretentious. "A little too well read." And that for agreeing to go out on the double-date, Danny could choose which city of real housewives they were going to watch. Danny: *sigh* Miami. Mindy: Yay!
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:38 am

Can BJ Novak only act like a jerk? His character turned out to be a more academic and wittier version of Ryan. I did like his and Mindy's banter, though more in the previous episode.

I read an interview with BJ Novak saying how his character was partly based on him, because he and Mindy have that kind of close relationship as friends that his character did with his best friend on the show. It does make me wonder if BJ Novak is just kind of a jerk.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am

I caught up recently and I'm enjoying this show a lot, even though I feel like it's still struggling to define who all the characters are. Most of the supporting cast is still being painted with broad strokes and while I find them amusing, they don't seem particularly original to me. Mindy herself, on the other hand, cracks me consistently up. I never thought I would enjoy a lead female character's dating misadventures more than the part of the show that's a workplace comedy, but that's what's happening here.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Because this show needs a larger cast, Adam Pally has been made a cast regular.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Well shit, I love Adam Pally, but I still really dislike this show. Morgan is the only character I don't want to punch in the face.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next