Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Listening To?

+51
laddical
Raised by wolves
ulkis
TiffanyNichelle
RiverThames
Evil Lincoln
Carriellie
Red Wolf
GoodbyeWithWords
Arabella
Carrie Ann
The Glen
Instant Monkeys
mayram
Dachelle
Miss Moneypenny
gannetguts
naughty zoot
nikita
Cutebutpsycho
katesti
mrinsouciance
draco vulgaris
Bad Username
leone
MaddyCat
Eris Rising
oxymoron
Raksha
Auroura76
Unlucky Bear
eventide82
Gillian
dinahmoe
Kiran
jennlynnster
skittlebox
Swarley
ariadne
jcpdiesel21
tothemax
filwdork
Menshevixen
Escape
whatthedeuce
PrincessCleo
PineappleGirl
caerbannog
harvey the penguin
blixie
queenofdenile
55 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

What Are You Listening To? - Page 5 Empty Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:40 am

I'm getting myself re-hooked on Weezer's Pinkerton and the Hives' Black and White Album. The former often hurts in a very good way, and the latter is just plain loud, asskicking goodness!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 pm

The Great Gatsby (Music from Baz Luhrmann's Film). My faves so far are "Kill and Run", Jack White's cover of "Love Is Blindness", Emeli Sande's "Crazy in Love" cover and "Where the Wind Blows".

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks for reminding me to download that soundtrack, Arabella. People have been raving about it all over LJ! Over the past two weeks, I've listened to Ra Ra Riot's The Rhumb Line album an average of 4 times every morning. And the first 6 songs off their latest album, Beta Love, make me grin and wanna dance or clap happily like a fool.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 pm

New Daft Punk which is The Music of Tomorrow, which WEIRDLY enough sounds a lot like yesterday's late 70's early 80's disco/easy listening. I love it but repacking retro is not cutting edge new styles babies.

My actual earworm of the moment though is from the Bling Ring trailer, and is also not technically new, but got dam is it great, and FILTHY: Azelia Banks "212"

I can shake my ass to this ova and ova and ova.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln Tue May 21, 2013 9:18 pm

I don't know what to make of the album. On the one hand, I like the "going back to go forward" argument they're making in response to all the shitty dubstep that has taken root in their genre, because ugh, dubstep. But on the other hand, it comes across as a little GET OFF MY LAWN for them to basically waggle their finger at the style of music they popularized, tell them they're lame, and then put out a disco-prog jazz-funk-Doobie Brothers hybrid album. Then on the OTHER other hand, they've always been upfront about genuinely liking cheesy, terrible music, so... joke's on us for crowning them the arbiters of cool?

I don't dislike it, though. I'm just sort of like, "oh." And it's a beautifully mixed album.

The fan reactions are fantastic though. To steal a phrase from Cleo, their tears are delicious candy.

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue May 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Dude I was totally going to bring up the Doobie Brothers/Michael McDonald! Hee. I DO love cheese, so it works for me, and I don't object to their deconstruction/reconstruction of what dance music should be I just think their sort of hilarious about how they're explaining the new album: the future is not like the past, it IS the past.

Oh god yes, everything I feel about dubstep was covered by Key and Peele. But that's also why included Banks dance track, that shit is dope, and it's not like anyone really in the EDM scene *likes* dubstep.

Speaking of I'm headed to Movement this weekend and can't wait to see my cheesy house fave Dennis Ferrer!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I almost wonder how much of the REDEFINING MUSIC AS WE KNOW IT stuff is what they feel and how much of it is label marketing strategy? Other than the insane hype that was inescapable (even my dead grandma knows about the album at this point), I've only really read the (admittedly breathless) Pitchfork profile, and it seemed like everybody but themselves were waxing poetic about this thing being a gamechanger. But it's weird because it's not entirely disingenuous marketing - it kind of DOES sound like "futuristic disco" but only inasmuch as any Daft Punk album sounds "futuristic."

In an entirely different vein, I can't get over how much I love the new Vampire Weekend. I have always liked them and felt like the backlash/"hipster Paul Simon" stuff was overblown (the African influence has always sounded more by way of Talking Heads to me), but the new stuff is so so good. I didn't know they had this kind of songwriting in them, and now I'm genuinely interested in where they go as a band.

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed May 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I've loved the youthful spunk and melodic cohesion of their last two albums and am so excited to check out Modern Vampires of the City!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Blurred Lines. On repeat. SEND HELP.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Such a great song that I'm sadly growing sick of already because it gets so much airplay in my area.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:45 am

I haven't heard it on the radio over here, so I'm not sick of it yet. As witnessed by my dancing in the kitchen like Pharrell.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 am

That song really is awesome and totally danceable. I just wish they'd cool off with it on L.A. stations and give me time to miss it before hearing it again!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Can't stop listening to Georgi Kay's cover of Joga (by Bjork). It was in Top of the Lake and I finally managed to download it. So pretty.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 am

The songs from Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, the musical by John Mellencamp and Stephen King (with an all star cast) are surprisingly good. You really need the libretto to get the full effect of the story though. The spoken bits on the CD were hard to make a lot of sense of. You get the gist more or less, but I found them confusing. And I think the story climax is stupid. But thumbs up for the musical numbers.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

So, I've just realized that Next to Me by Emili Sandé is actually gospel. And by "realized", I mean I put the song as a seed for one of my Pandora stations, and all it did was mix in gospel. Like, serious, hardcore, "Praise and worship in his name for He is Risen" stuff.

And that kind of lessens the song to me. I mean, I still like it, but when your song says, "My man is great because he's not out screwing around and I can count on him no matter what", it means a whole lot less if that man is Jesus. Because he's Jesus; not going out drinking and gambling til 3am is kind of a given there.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Well you just blew my mind because I had no idea. I thought it was just about a dude too.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:07 pm

So my sister was actually right when she told me she noticed the song could very well be religious! I never realized til she mentioned it that it did sound like Sande was singing about Jesus, and like you, that does lessen the strength of the song for me. Basically it went from being a tune about an awesome guy that's superior to all other men cuz he handles his business right into another praise song (albeit a very funky, cool one) about the dude that never did anything wring cuz he was kinda, ya know, the Messiah.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:28 pm

I had no idea either and I've had that song on repeat for months now.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:01 pm

I think Next to Me is one of those songs ambiguously romantically spiritual songs like You Light Up My Life or Because You Loved Me. Some CCM/gospel act will definitely cut their own version for Christian airplay but the songwriters/original artist might not have been going for a song with a 100% religious reading.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I never even thought of Because You Loved Me as having a spiritual undertone. Interesting.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 am

I do remember that Next To Me song playing a lot last year here and it was not the remixed version that I'm hearing on the radio now, it was just woman singing the song on her own, so I'm not surprised it's a gospel song.

At the moment I've had the Of Monsters and Men debut album My Head is an Animal on repeat and I really love it.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:06 pm

That album is pretty damn good, eventide, but I always felt sleepy listening to it last year.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 am

I am loving the hell out The Section Quartet's album Fuzz Box. Their covers of The Nurse Who Loved Me, Paranoid Android, No One Knows, and Black Hole Sun are amazing.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:28 am

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:02 am

I like that song and yet also find it sorta obnoxious. Something about her voice irks me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum