Arrow

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Arrow - Page 10 Empty Re: Arrow

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks Carrie Ann, that was really interesting! (I read it twice!)

I'm not sure if it's a side effect of binge watching, or just the way I watch television, but I rarely think about "season arcs" and the like, and sometimes miss themes and big picture things until they're pointed out. It could also be my utter spoiler-phobicness which makes me avoid every mention/discussion until I've caught up. Or I'm just super shallow: Ollie pretty, Felicity pretty, be pretty together you two. I'm not deep.

I did notice just how much Felicity cried in season three. :sniff: I did enjoy last season, but it could be cos it's a new love!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Cool--I've been wondering how this season would play to people who binge-watch the series. I suspected that it wouldn't feel like nearly as much of a letdown, especially because I've seen people who picked up the show during the course of S3, and they all seem way happier with this season than viewers who've been watching from at least S2. Part of the dissatisfaction definitely comes from the wait, speculating on what could happen and why, and then seeing what actually DOES happen and being like "BUT...! That's the worst possible option!" I think when you're relieved of that, you're content to just watch things play out, and it's a more enjoyable viewing experience generally.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:53 pm

So a few months ago, a friend of my son is over.  He says "hey, you like Arrow don't you?".

I hit *pause* on the episode of Arrow I was making my husband watch. "Why, yes, I do."

So he proceeds to tell me they're filming the next day in his grandparents house two blocks away! If I'd known this earlier I'd've had them adopt me into the family!  Apparently they'd been prepping for the past two days, and sure enough the next day, the massive, massive amount of trucks etc were lining the street.  I did not venture any further than driving past the end of that street (it's a cul-de-sac), but I did see a pic of Stephen Amell with a little kid dressed as batman that was adorable.

But the first thought I had when I heard they were near me was the burbs? What are they doing out here in the suburbs?!, as they don't often venture far out of downtown Vancouver. Should've known Ollie and Felicity were having a try at domestic bliss (ha!).

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:28 pm

My good God this show is stupid.

Thank God Amell is pretty and Olicity makes my life because otherwise I just can't with almost every single thing it chooses to be. Sure pour Sara Soup in the hot tub. Sure. Have Laurel do it because she's an asshole and not a single person on that staff writing her gives a crap if she's an asshole. Have John not care about Thea acting crazy. Have boring scenes of Oliver working with Amanda for some reason, but I was too bored to care. At least he's finally rid of the WIG. OH and have him run for Mayor. Jeeezy Creezy.

I sometimes wonder if Oliver is actually Peter Brady locked in that episode where he (never) learns not to play ball in the house.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:49 am

Well, this episode locked down the idea that all the stuff in the Legends of Tomorrow promo was more proof-of-concept stuff rather than things-we'll-actually-see. Since there's no reason for Sara to be giving Ray an incredulous look with "you weren't dead, you were just... small?", since she was an active part of Operation Rescue Tiny Ray.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:41 am

Liking this season better thanks to Oliver not being Walking Dead levels of stupid like last year.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:51 pm

I'm liking this season way better too. I still have quibbles (about the Lances especially) and they should have handled the Sara & Ray resurrection/rescue stories better, but as long as the character/relationship/tone stuff is good, I'm less concerned about the plotting.

RiverThames wrote:Well, this episode locked down the idea that all the stuff in the Legends of Tomorrow promo was more proof-of-concept stuff rather than things-we'll-actually-see.  Since there's no reason for Sara to be giving Ray an incredulous look with "you weren't dead, you were just... small?", since she was an active part of Operation Rescue Tiny Ray.
I'm so grateful for this because that promo was not good, and CL's delivery and whole presence in that tiny scene was just...off for Sara. Who shouldn't seem so skeptical about people coming back to life.

I am really looking forward to the LoT stories of the characters we know--Martin Stein, Sara, Captain Cold, even Ray--and I wish next week's crossover episodes were focused on those characters instead of brand-new ones that I'm not invested in yet (the Hawks). Like...save something for your own show. I don't even think Sara and Ray are going to be on the crossover, so the goodbyes we saw are THE goodbyes. Not much of a sendoff. That all ended up feeling so anticlimactic.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 am

Ok, tell me I wasn't the only one mesmerized by the donkey squeezing through the fence in the background! I replayed that like three times.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:46 am

A donkey stealing the show is the perfect metaphor for this show. I swear, when faced with the choice of making the most compelling and true-to-character storyline, these jackass writers choose WRONG so so much. S3 numbed me to the stupid and I thought I was immune. But up 'til now this season so far had lulled me into a false sense of security because I was genuinely shocked by how WRONG and STUPID this was.

There were a few things I liked about the episode: SA's acting was on point throughout (seriously, during the first fight with Felicity he nailed Oliver's frustration, fear, shock, guilt and anger); the changed timeline was interesting; Oliver and Barry are always a good time. The rest? BLERGH.

It is not even possible for me to care less about the Hawkpeople so the whole setup was torture. I'm calling it now: they will be the weakest links on LOT and need to be axed sooner rather than later. Bad acting, stupid plot, shallow characters - this was just a bad idea to introduce them this way. Then there was so much Cisco and, even worse, Cisco and Hawkgirl and their painfully awkward non-chemistry. Laurel managed to get on my nerves in the 35 seconds of screen time she had, or rather KC managed to make Laurel irritating in that time. I used to give KC the benefit of the doubt about Laurel but I'm now 100% convinced she contributes mightily to Laurel being The Worst.

Then there's the kid. I actually really don't mind Oliver having a kid or the idea of him having to navigate a relationship with his son's mother. I think it would actually be great to see Oliver start to build relationships that are removed from the Green Arrow experience. And I can even see throwing an obstacle at Olicity because that's how we see them grow as individuals and as a couple. But having the mom force Oliver --who she admittedly and understandably doesn't trust--to lie about the kid's existence? It really doesn't make any sense to me. Either she doesn't want Oliver around her kid or she doesn't want Felicity around her kid, but I can't imagine a scenario where any mother would want their lying father around their kid and denying his existence to everyone. That's just not a choice that sane people make and I believe they want us to think Samantha's sane and even empathize with her. If she'd said, "Let's see how it goes with William first before you share this with anyone" I could see it. In fact, the first timeline fight would have made sense under those circumstances. But what we ended up with is Oliver making the wrong decision based on a stupid ultimatum which is WRONG and STUPID. I can only imagine the ridiculousness to come with the inevitable Olicity breakup the way this all played out.

I have to say though that I do think there's a way out of this for Oliver and Felicity that could have them end up stronger as a couple. As great as I've thought Olicity has been this year, I do think that Oliver needs to figure out how to make good decisions independent of Felicity. Because the reality is that Oliver is a dumb. All of his happiness is tied up in his relationship with her and he still struggles with crazy short-sighted martyrdom. He still hasn't figured out he can consider options that include what he wants instead of automatically defaulting to sacrificing himself and his own happiness. I'm hoping that this is just the first step in that process and that there's a least a 50/50 shot that the writers will bumble their way to that resolution.

If nothing else, I do think they're shitting themselves a bit because of all the backlash this storyline has caused. Not just with the fans, but critically as well. They've got about 5 episodes left to film to course correct.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:56 pm

It's official. I am hate-watching at this point.

Dear Arrow makeup artists: I realize that Felicity lost a lot of blood and almost died and is now paralyzed, but that is no excuse for a white caked on lip several hours after surgery. Presumably blood has been put back into her body, so normal circulation should have resumed by now. I am not demanding blush, mascara, and lipstick, soap-opera style, but clubbing me over the head with the death mask is a bit much.

Dear Arrow writers: CAN LAUREL TAKE CARE OF HERSELF? Please tell me, because you haven't had a character literally utter this phrase enough times to get it through my thick skull.

Also, IS FELICITY STRONG AND AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL? I think she must be, because everyone is saying it. She's so strong and amazing that Diggle's brother was finally all, "Yeah, ok, I will tell on Dahrk now that he's hurt Felicity, a person I don't know. The beatings and all that other shit were just not quite enough to convince me."

The back half trailer for this season also showed Arsenal, which, YAY! But I'm sure that the show will do what it always does--bring back a popular and interersting character for a single episode only to have them disappear into the night with some half-assed explanation. With all the anvils crashing around on this show, why not just have Arsenal and Black Canary: Original Bestest meaningfully intone: "I have an acting career to think about and besides, this show doesn't have the budget or intelligence to give me my own meaningful arc as part of an ensemble. Be back when they can afford me again, as the plot demands!"
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10