Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taylor Swift

+11
ulkis
blixie
The Glen
Miss Moneypenny
biakbiak
Escape
Pumpkin Cake
Kiran
Crowbridge
swsa
Poubelle
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taylor Swift Empty Taylor Swift

Post  Poubelle Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 am

...because she's kind of taking over the Celebrity Couples thread.

I like her because the internet hates her so much. Like, disproportionately to whatever actual cultural damage she may be doing. And because her cat is super-cute. She apparently likes watching Law & Order with her cat, and I find that super-relatable.

A lot of her music isn't to my taste but she sure knows how to make it catchy.

Also, the weird fake rumors/shipping about her and Dianna Agron are hilarious. And let's be real, that's a much better choice than the Kennedy kid. And a much cuter couple.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Taylor Swift Empty Re: Taylor Swift

Post  swsa Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:10 am

She's one of the few celebs where I understand both the love and hate. I think she's incredibly contrived and has some troubling opinions on how other girls are evil skanks and not genuine like her, as well as a heaping helping of victimization complex. However, I also love her music unashamedly and think she has a super cute and old-fashioned sense of style that I enjoy.

And I've had All Too Well on repeat for the past 2 days. But man, the ego to write "you lost the one real thing you've ever known" about a guy who by a GENEROUS version of the story, you dated for like 3 months. Kind of think Jake PROBABLY has found some other "real" things in his 32 years of living. Hee.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 am

I can't stand the girl. I think her music is awful, and I can't relate to her at all. She seems so...secretly bitchy. I don't like that.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I have mixed feelings also. She seemes like a nice girl, and I like her style, and her songs are catchy. I also think shes got a fun group of friends (aside from Agron, shes close to Emma Stone) and I always appreciate a girl who is cool with other girls. And she sometimes strikes me as having a wicked sense of humor.

But I sometimes wonder about the fixation on men in her songs. Like I am sure she knows what she is doing, but such a large chunk of her fanbase is little girls. And I just wonder about the message shes putting across when ALL her songs are about romantic relationships.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Pumpkin Cake Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Does anyone know where/whether the new album is streaming so I can determine which songs I want to purchase? This whole a la carte download thing has been great for making my own producer's edits that contain no unbearably sappy/whiny songs.

Pumpkin Cake

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:18 pm

I read a whole article this morning on how they weren't going to allow streaming of her album. Looks like it's either buy the whole thing or um... borrowing.
Escape
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  Pumpkin Cake Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Boooo, no streaming?! However, it looks like they're monetizing instead of blocking at YouTube, because this person seems to have the whole thing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUH1iYBGjD8&feature=autoplay&list=PLz0i2Qwa_6BdIonazCX2mpcFxCrGwEzfu

So, yay! And now I am listening and reading along with the Culture Vulture article that someone else mentioned upthread, and it is highly entertaining. (And, shockingly, so far every track has seemed buy-worthy!) Man, do I wish Ted C was around to comment. How can anyone have such intense feelings about Jake Gyllenhaal? He seems so. . .bland.

Pumpkin Cake

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:00 pm

I think hes dreamy. And with his beard (the facial one) he looks kinda like one of those ye olden time dudes that live in a cabin and have some kind of trauma.

I want her to hook up with Shia Lebeouf next. I feel like that would yield some fantastic songs. And some crazy crazy drama.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:03 pm

When she breaks up with the Kennedy kid, I imagine there will be songs about breaking up with Ethel and the family.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 pm

She already has a song about Ethel on this album. So...yeah.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Oh dear, I wasn't aware!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah, Starlight has the liner notes clue, "FOR ETHEL" and is about her and RFK. Girlfriend wants that Kennedy last name BAD. Hee.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm

I know she's only 22, but girl, are you for real? How long have you been dating this kid?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I know she's only 22, but girl, are you for real? How long have you been dating this kid?

Since right before he reached the age of consent, just to make it extra creepy! Oh, and right after his mother committed suicide and he was declared executor of her estate.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:
Crowbridge wrote:I know she's only 22, but girl, are you for real? How long have you been dating this kid?

Since right before he reached the age of consent, just to make it extra creepy! Oh, and right after his mother committed suicide and he was declared executor of her estate.
Weeelll...if the sexes were reversed, that would definitely be creepy. Very telling.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 pm

The age of consent is seventeen here, so I don't find that terribly creepy in itself, but his youth added to the fact that it was so soon after such a terrible trauma for him definitely seems wrong. It seems a bit opportunist. I don't know, it probably wouldn't seem so if they were the same age.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:10 am

Yeah they are only four years apart, and while I think it's a little (okay A LOT odd and yes squiggy) I don't think it's that out of bounds, and within the Romeo/Juliet range. His grief and her fangurling his family/name are separate more disturbing issues. But again I think she's pretty arrested in her own development, and that she to some degree buys into her own mythologizing in song, which is why I don't get on her ass about it.

I *do* wonder about how long that will work for her though, her audience has got to be aging out of this mindset and while she may capture some new tweenagers, if my niece is any indication (a huge fan of Taylor when she was 12/13 and now a huge fan of Mac Miller/G Eazy/Whiz Khalifa) than I'm not sure she can keep winning with that formula.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 am

For me it's not so much the actual ages, it's that he is an 18 year old high school junior (seriously was he held back or something?) with a curfew who got together after the tragedy of his mother's suicide and her long time Kennedy obsession that makes me give it crazy side eye to me.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:34 am

Voluntarily holding back is very common in boarding schools because a lot of people feel it better prepares their kids for university. Apparently that was the situation with him.

I don't really find the age squicky as much as I do the fact that hes just suffered a huge tragedy.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:36 am

Voluntarily holding back is very common in boarding schools because a lot of people feel it better prepares their kids for university. Apparently that was the situation with him.

Is this a new thing because I have known many many peoplewho went to boarding school (including several who went to Deerfield) and I have never heard of anything like that.

Last edited by biakbiak on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:38 am

I had some friends at the local boarding school whose parents did it, this was...about 7-5 years ago? and I read an article about them that it was the case with him. It could be wrong.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 am

That's kind of weird. I can't imagine being an 18 year old high school junior.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 am

Its totally weird and I never got it, and I suspect there was a bit of lets voluntarily hold them back before they force us to hold them back to it, at least with the kids I hung around with because the only thing they studied was Absolut bottles.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 am

I don't know about Taylor Swift to either like her, hate her, or love her. It's nice under my rock, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Kiran wrote:I had some friends at the local boarding school whose parents did it, this was...about 7-5 years ago? and I read an article about them that it was the case with him. It could be wrong.

Deerfield has a 5th year "college prep" for kids who might otherwise have trouble getting into college (read: fucked off for their first 4 years and need a year for their parents to give enough $$$ to get them into an Ivy), but they don't generally hold back juniors. I had read that he missed enough of his junior with his mother's death that he needed to finish up or repeat his junior year, which seems more likely.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next