Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Princess Bride

+10
Carrie Ann
MLIS
Instant Monkeys
Miss Moneypenny
Coneycat
Cynara
mayram
QueenSix
whatthedeuce
Agent Sculder
14 posters

Go down

The Princess Bride Empty The Princess Bride

Post  Agent Sculder Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 am

Because it's now 25 years old and still as wonderful as it ever was.

And if you need any proof that it is possibly the most quotable movie of all time, you have to check this out. Last Sunday on the show NFL Kickoff the hosts squeezed in as many quotes as they could in a half-hour football preview show.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

The Princess Bride Empty Re: The Princess Bride

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:56 pm

People stare at me like I'm an alien when I say I haven't seen this movie. It's not that I don't want to. I just never get around to it! I wanna see it just for little Fred Savage, honestly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 pm

This film is twenty five years old?? Shut up! That's crazy talk!! (Now I feel old).

It's still one of my all time favourites and it's not just because of the quotable lines or because Cary Elwes was a fine thing as the Dread Pirate Wesley and looks so endearing when he's gazing at Buttercup on the farm. Though obviously that has a lot to do with it.
But it's one of those films that really gels together so well and Rob Reiner clearly had a lot of affection for the source material. If they ever try to remake it, I will die and not in a good way.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:03 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:People stare at me like I'm an alien when I say I haven't seen this movie. It's not that I don't want to. I just never get around to it! I wanna see it just for little Fred Savage, honestly.

Same here. It's one of those movies that I just somehow missed along the way and it never occurs to me to seek it out.

(And for some reason, I mix it up with the movie Labyrinth in my mind and I HAVE seen that movie so maybe that plays a part.)

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:06 pm

mayram, there are so many spectacularly popular movies that I've never seen. I sometimes get embarrassed talking about movies because I know if Princess Bride, Star Wars (any of the original trilogy), or Jaws get brought up, I have to confess that I've never seen them. Seen bits of all those things but just never hunkered down to watch them in their entirety.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:27 pm

In college I totally would have lied and said my favorite movie was some arty French thing like The 400 Blows or something, but whatever. This is my favorite movie and has been since my dad rented it in 1988 when I was 6. I could sit down and recite the whole movie from memory, complete with stage directions. I mean, if I wanted to look like a crazy person. But I could. And according to the Department of Shit I Just Made Up, everyone in America between the ages of 16 and 40 knows at least one person like that. That's how many people love this movie! It's great.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 pm

The first time I saw this movie, I was home from university for Thanksgiving, and my big sister and I had been sent out to rent a movie for the family to watch together. My sis wanted to get something intelligent to appeal to our dad (who rarely sat still for a movie), and I was whining that I was tired and my brain hurt and I didn't want to watch an arty movie. And then I spotted the new releases: "Hey, let's rent The Princess Bride! Dad liked the book, right?"

I was the kind of kid who almost never demanded my own way, but my sister gave in.

Dad watched it TWICE, and then spent the rest of the weekend accosting everyone in the house with wooden spoons, going, "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!"

Best. Holiday movie pick. EVER.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:20 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:mayram, there are so many spectacularly popular movies that I've never seen. I sometimes get embarrassed talking about movies because I know if Princess Bride, Star Wars (any of the original trilogy), or Jaws get brought up, I have to confess that I've never seen them. Seen bits of all those things but just never hunkered down to watch them in their entirety.

Jaws is an excellent movie, although since it was filmed in my hometown, I have never seen it without my dad giving me the life stories of every single speaking character who wasn't a professional actor (which was actually almost everyone but Brody, Mrs. Brody, Hooper, Quint, and Vaughn.)

Anyway, The Princess Bride has also been one of my favorites since I was a kid. I had a copy taped off a Saturday afternoon UHF showing and watched it so often that to this day I could tell you where the commercial breaks were.

A few years ago, Robin Wright told a story of how Andre the Giant used to rest his hand on her head to warm her up when she got cold and comic book writer Kelly Sue Deconnick thought it was such a cute idea that she had the Hulk do it recently in Avengers Assemble.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:A few years ago, Robin Wright told a story of how Andre the Giant used to rest his hand on her head to warm her up when she got cold and comic book writer Kelly Sue Deconnick thought it was such a cute idea that she had the Hulk do it recently in Avengers Assemble.
Oh my lord...that's the cutest thing ever. I love Andre the Giant.

One of my favorite movies too, I can basically quote the whole thing, blah blah blah. One of my favorite stories about this movie is this: My sister is 11 years younger than me, and of course she grew up watching the movie with me and our middle sister (she also likes a lot of '90s bands, heh), but at one point she had a birthday party -- I want to say she was maybe 13 or 14? Maybe a little younger. Just a bunch of her friends, boys and girls, hanging out at the house, and the "adults" tried to stay out of their way because they were big kids now. And she wanted to watch The Princess Bride and most of them had never seen it before. And I remember watching these kids all react to it for the first time and LOVE it. It made it all seem fresh, watching them be surprised by all the jokes and everything. It was totally awesome. That movie just holds the hell up. It is timeless.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:57 pm

One summer when I was about 10, my mom, my sister and I drove across the country to visit some family. My dad stayed home, as he had to work. During our trip we stopped at my aunt and uncle's for a visit, and they had The Movie Network (big deal at the time) and this movie was on. I was enthralled. My mom, horrible mother that she was, made us leave before the movie was over ... as Buttercup and the Dread Pirate Roberts were tumbling down the hill. I pouted for the rest of the trip about not getting to see that movie (I was a dreadful ten year old). When we got home, my dad presented me with a VHS upon which he had taped this movie off The Movie Network for me because he had watched it one night and thought I would enjoy it.

And that is the story of how this became my favourite movie of all time, and how I have the best dad in the world.

When my husband and I first started dating, we had a dinner and movie at my place date during which we watched this movie. And as the end credits rolled and Storybook Love played, he said in that oh-so-casual way that was really not casual at all, "You know, if I ever get married, I always thought I'd like to have my first dance at the reception to this song." And I thought to myself, "I'm going to marry this guy, and I'm going to dance to this song at our wedding." And I did, and we did.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:41 pm

That is so cute, MLIS. I teared up a bit.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Aww, that is so sweet MLIS. I think I told this story before, but when my uncle and his now-wife got married, they had each bought the other a trinket with "as you wish" engraved on it, because it's their favorite movie. Neither of them knew the other had done it, though, so when they opened the gifts in front of everyone the night before the wedding, well, let's just say the room suddenly got VERY DUSTY.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 pm

I watched this so much that I could recite the commercials that were on our taped-from-TV version. I'm pretty sure if you were ever in a situation where you had to make small talk with total strangers, one quote from this movie would break the ice.

MLIS and mokey, those stories are so sweet!!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 pm

mokey, that's an incredibly sweet coincidence!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Mandy Patinkin tells a lovely story about Andre the Giant during the filming of The Princess Bride. *sniff*

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:15 pm

I just introduced this to my son (7) over the summer. He was a little meh over it until the swordfight between the Dread Pirate Roberts and Inigo Montoya and he was enthralled for the rest of the movie. It's now one of his favorites.

MLIS, those are the sweetest stories. :)
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Heather and Jessica posted these in the GFY gift guide - Princess Bride themed wine! I just ordered my uncle and his wife a bottle of the white for Christmas, so thanks for the tip! And now, I am debating ordering some for myself, under the "one for them, three for me" rule I seem to have when Christmas shopping.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum