Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Carrie Diaries

+3
Heather
big chicken
Carrie Ann
7 posters

Go down

The Carrie Diaries Empty The Carrie Diaries

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:31 pm

I hate SATC, so I would never have watched this, but I Tivo'd it because of good reviews from sources I trust, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Carrie reminds me a lot of high school Buffy, which is of course a great thing. I also appreciate that at least some of the characters actually look like kids. I could do without the cheesy VO, but obviously there has to be some connection to SATC.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

The Carrie Diaries Empty Re: The Carrie Diaries

Post  big chicken Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

I really love the soundtrack. I also love Freema Agyman so I'm pretending she and the 10th Doctor got stuck in 80s New York where she has to masquerade as a fashion editor for a magazine.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm

I think this show is helped IMMENSELY by the fact that AnnaSophia Robb has oodles of charm.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah, I find her adorable. I was prepared to dislike the show because I enjoyed Sex and the City (I got annoyed at continuity because in SatC, Carrie said her dad quit the family, HELLO), but I really like it so far.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm loving it and most of that is definitely down to AnnaSophia Robb being so winningly adorable, and Mouse,aka Knives Chau the best part of that Scott Pilgrim movie. And the clothes/music.

I do wish the show would take more advantage of casting John Hughes people in adult roles, her law office nemesis is SO just this side of adult Molly Ringwald. If someone could convince Michael Schoefling to abandon furniture making for five minutes and do a walk on cameo I would DIE.

I know they understandably package this with 90210, but the AV club review mentioned that the thing that is setting it apart right now on shows about teenagers is the degree of *innocence* and good natured behavior, like her big drama was shafting her little sister to violate her grounding and meet her boyfriend at the pool. In that respect tonally I think it fits with Hart of Dixie better.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 am

It is a sweet show. I'm not that interested in her group of friends, though they are all reasonable actors. I want to see more Donna LaDonna, Dorrit and her boss at the firm. And Carrie's father? Total DILF. I like the way it develops the conceit of Carrie as Writer.

It would make more sense to me if Carrie was brought up by a single lawyer widowed mother than father; it jibes better with the character replacing the masculine permanence in her life with her love of the city. Maybe Bushnell though it would be less likely that a mother would be less likely to allow the freedom of the internship-in-the-city-as-therapy, but I could be wrong.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I still think this show is bubbling along in the supercute lane, but I think the show has a Carrie/Sebastian problem. I really like Sebastian and I really like Carrie, and they even have a decent amount of romantic chemistry, but weirdly no *acting* chemistry. I think the life in her comes from her love of writing/fashion/the city, Sebastian has no real part in any of that, and they frequently have him paired off and stranded with a Friend of Carrie, and at those times he's way more interesting. I'm rooting for him and Mouse, or him and Maggie, or even him and Walt!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 pm

I actually think its the romantic chemistry that is a problem (their kisses are REALLY awkward). I think both are very good actors and work well together in scenes together, but romantically its just not there for me.

Right now I think he has the best chemistry with Mouse. I mean, we all know Carrie and him won't end up together so they might as well reroute that.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 am

Watching the finale now, I think I end the season liking Walt and Sebastian, loving Carrie and Mouse, and being in love with Dorrit. I haven't seen a cry that natural on TV since Claire Danes. She looked like such a little girl. I'd still only give the show a B, but it has a lot of promise.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am

I agree with you except I don't like Dorrit. I mean the actress is fine, but I almost wonder if she'd work better as the older daughter.

Also I still get the feeling we were supposed to side with her about how romantic Sid Vicious was and I'm like...girl...no...

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:32 am

I'm looking forward to Walt and Carrie in the city! And eeeee Stanford. Couldn't care at all about the Sebastian/Carrie/Maggie drama llama but loooooooved that pink dress of Carrie's.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down