Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whose Line Is It Anyway?

+8
Instant Monkeys
salamandersam
killershrew
The Glen
maxell131313
laddical
ulkis
Eris Rising
12 posters

Go down

Whose Line Is It Anyway? Empty Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Post  Eris Rising Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Returns tonight on CW.

The American version, of course, with Aisha Tyler taking over for Drew Carey in hosting duties.

Even though I'm leery of some of the changes listed in the article, I've still been waiting for this day for a long time.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Whose Line Is It Anyway? Empty Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Post  ulkis Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Cool beans, I had no idea

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Lauren Cohan of The Walking Dead will be on it as one of the guests. Hopefully with her natural accent and tons of zombie jokes.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:43 pm

I can't wait!!
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:43 pm

The writer regrets the absence of the Hoedown and Irish Drinking Song, but I have a hunch they had it written into their contracts.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Man, I don't get the CW, so I can't watch this. I'm hoping it'll air on Hulu or on their website tomorrow.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 pm

The Glen wrote:The writer regrets the absence of the Hoedown and Irish Drinking Song, but I have a hunch they had it written into their contracts.

I listen to Greg Proop's podcast "The Smartest Man in the World" and he's often said Ryan Stiles hate Hoedown with a passion that is remarkable to be seen.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am

If you missed it on the air, you can watch both of last night's episodes on the CW website.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:31 pm

A positive review! It's waiting for me on my DVR at home; can't wait.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:A positive review! It's waiting for me on my DVR at home; can't wait.

It was enough like the old one that it felt comfortable. I just love this show, in all its incarnations through the years. They even brought back Laura Hall on the piano!

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I am so glad this show is back. I needed my Colin Mochrie fix.

I do hope though that they opt to use the fourth person a little more in the future. I know Ryan, Colin, and Wayne are the main fixtures, but why have a fourth person if you're not going to use them all that much? Or have the "guest star" sit in for the whole show as opposed to just bringing them out for a game or two.

Otherwise the shows last night were great and I hope the ratings stay where they are or go higher so the CW will give us another season.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Just watched the first two episodes and all I can say is YAY I MISSED YOU WHOSE LINE. First Ryan/Colin makeout at 0:02. That sounds about right.

I did like that it was so familiar (that rainbow backdrop, ha) but I think some new blood is DEFINITELY a good thing. I thought Aisha Tyler was great (I love her), and the second-episode lady didn't make that much of an impression (she didn't have time to) but the guy from the first one, I got the first belly laugh of the show with his Scenes from a Hat joke about "these buns are really dry." No different that the fourth chair has to be the dating show contestant or the one who sits it out, but I hope they both get to come back and do more than they did. (I also hope some of my old favorites like Brad Sherwood and Chip Esten will make appearances.) I love Ryan and Colin to death (and I was hands-claspingly happy to see their back-and-forth again), but I pretty much know what joke Ryan is going to make every time (Colin is a little more of a wild card). It's a good thing to have new people.

And new games -- I thought the "look in audience members' purses" game was a GREAT idea even though I'm not sure if the potential was totally realized yet. Same for the "sideways" one -- whoever thought of that is a genius. I wonder if Ryan got to sit that one out because of his bad back. I also wonder if Ryan has finally had back surgery in the intervening years. And also I am remembering things I had forgotten like about how Ryan has a bad back and gets murderously oppositional about hoedowns.

Speaking of Ryan, it's nice to have some political jokes that are not about Clinton.

In the second episode I'm pretty sure Colin was wearing an outfit from the old show, or one very similar, mostly because it's the outfit that the Sim I made of Colin was wearing YES I MADE SIMS OF THE WHOSE LINE PEOPLE THEY ALL LIVED TOGETHER IN A HOUSE. It was Sims 1. I think I had Colin, Ryan, Wayne and Brad. The day they could afford a mansion and each have their own bedroom was very exciting. Anyway. The show.

I can't BELIEVE that "squeaky shoe" joke got through but I guess we're not on ABC Family anymore. Maybe jokes about Hitler won't be off the table this time around.

I was never a fan of celebrity guests, BUT if they're going to use them I'm happy for them to be in traditional "audience member" roles like as scenery or as the person who sits in the chair and gets sung to. Then instead of having someone who doesn't really know how to do improv dragging down the scene with their attempts at improv, you get someone who is a professional performer elevating the "audience member" position by doing funny stuff. Lauren Cohan was fine but I thought Kevin McHale was really good (even though the timing is unfortunate because I couldn't stop thinking about Cory Monteith). The gospel song was really great, as was the mouthed-dialogue one. I also laughed my ass off at "You sound like an old Canadian!" (and the subsequent "I remember you from the Old Man Canadian Choir!"). Oh, Col and Ry.

Good to see there's still a lighted desk in case Ryan has to crash his head into it. Oh, I am so happy this show is back. Please stay on for a while.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:YES I MADE SIMS OF THE WHOSE LINE PEOPLE THEY ALL LIVED TOGETHER IN A HOUSE. It was Sims 1. I think I had Colin, Ryan, Wayne and Brad. The day they could afford a mansion and each have their own bedroom was very exciting.

God that made me laugh out loud.

Seconded having Brad Sherwood back. His impression of the singer from the B52's is still one of my favorite moments ever on the show. That and his superhero character, "Slappy."

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Brad was my favorite of the fourth chairs. Also, what was that new guy's name, Jeff something? I hope he comes back too. Just no Kathy Greenwood, please. I hope she's living a professionally fulfilling, happy life somewhere not near the Whose Line set.

Three television shows had the honor of being made into Sims houses in my universe: X-Files, Whose Line, and Trading Spaces (they needed two houses). If that doesn't place my Sims 1 simming into a particular time period I don't know what does. Oh, unless you count the time my sister and I made a house with Riker, Sisqo and John Ritter. Sometimes I miss the freewheeling days of Sims 1 and how you could just basically paste a celebrity's face onto the head bitmap and presto, celebrity Sim.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Hopefully Chip Esten will come back as well! I mean, its not like he is doing anything else, like being super hot on another network drama.
jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Has anyone seen the last episode? I can't watch it online for the moment as my internet is in a bad mood.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 pm

I watched it! Very funny! I thought it was going to be like the first week, with two episodes, but the second one they played was a repeat from the previous week.

Candice Accola from Vampire Diaries was game, though she didn't get to say a word!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Renewed! Hooray!!

I don't know what this "foregone conclusion" stuff is all about. It certainly wasn't foregone to ME, but clearly I am not a television executive. Nor have I paid any attention to the ratings. Which likely would have given me a clue.

Anyway, maybe I can fulfill my decade-old dream of going to a taping.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Woohoo!!! This makes my afternoon!
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:17 am

Instant Monkeys, do it! I went to a taping like ten years ago and I've never laughed so hard.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 am

Back when the show was on a friend and I did go to one of their comedy-club performances in LA -- I forget the name of the place but basically the entire cast (minus Drew Carey, with a few additions; I think Rosie O'Donnell was there) would do an improv show; I think it was a regular thing. It was SO GREAT. Ever since then I've been dying to go to a taping. I'm glad you got to! Also they seem to be using audience members less so I wouldn't be nervous the whole time that they would pick me for something.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 am

I guess they still tape in L.A.?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down