Sleepy Hollow

Page 13 of 24 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next

Go down

Sleepy Hollow - Page 13 Empty Re: Sleepy Hollow

Post  QueenSix on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 am

This is one show that I will break my DVD buying embargo for because I heart it so much and because if there are behind the scenes features, I want them!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:
TiffanyNichelle wrote:
Grainne Mhaol wrote:otherwise they would give Katrina something to do to match Abbie's awesomeness apart from fail at magic
When she was all "oopsy, guess my magic isn't strong enough", I wanted to scream. What good are you, Katrina, if you can't even do the one thing they got you out of Purgatory to do? They should have called up Sabrina the Teenaged Witch.
Hee hee, SERIOUSLY.

I don't really understand the Katrina-failed-at-magic sentiments because, well, she didn't. It took a couple of seconds before her location spell with the teeny stick kicked in, but it worked. And with Jeremy already released, she was pulled out of Purgatory (...a decade) too late to perform the binding spell.

I love the levels added by War being Ichabod's son. The sheer level of irrational hatred he has towards his parents is perfect, since the show said Jeremy went around the colonies on a golem-assisted killing spree, which made me wonder at the time if him being resurrected or rescued was actually going to be a good thing. So...good to have an answer on that one, I guess. And how painful for Ichabod to have to face that his own son was colluding with Moloch and that Jeremy was giving his own mother to the Horseman. Prime ickiness all around.

Loved the shot of Ichabod's "father" eating the glass and Ichabod's resulting look of both horror and fear. I really enjoy Tom Mison in the role. Actually, I like the whole cast (...with the exception of Frank's ex-wife), but Mison's a real standout.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:57 am

So finally saw the finale I did guess Parish would be evil ( wasn't sure he would be war) because john noble is Denethor or on a smaller scale ashbaugh (?) on the good wife, he always has some hidden issues
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:51 pm

I am rewatching S1 in prep for S2 because Hulu told me to. Just as fun the second time around!
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:24 am

I keep hoping it'll show up on Canadian Netflix. I wanna see it again, and I think my daughters would enjoy it!
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm

MichiSichi wrote:So finally saw the finale I did guess Parish would be evil ( wasn't sure he would be war) because john noble is Denethor or on a smaller scale ashbaugh (?) on the good wife, he always has some hidden issues

I watched the last 9 episodes this weekend, and I kept having this feeling that Parish was evil. I figured in his second ep that I was wary of him because he had played Denethor (I had the same problem with Hugo Weaving when I started LOTR, because he'd been evil in The Matrix). And then he turned out to be totally evil anyway. I'm still not sure how his evilness meshes with his sin eating, which does seem like a good power. Henry/Jeremy's reasoning for hating his parents was totally irrational (his dad was dead and his mom was trying to protect him), but then I realized that being buried alive for 200+ years could make anyone irrational, so I forgave the show for that.

Overall, I love this show to pieces. I love both leads, and I think they're adorable together. I love that Captain Irving isn't Abby's superior who makes her life horrible all the time (although I totally don't understand why he confessed to the crime - everyone knew there was a threat against Irving's family, a non-possessed Macey couldn't have killed anyone, why not blame it on an unseen assaillant, and just say Irving ran with his family when he found Morales unconscious and the priest dead?). I love his chemistry with Jenny. I love Jenny - she's amazing as Abby's sister, but she's awesome enough to be the hero on her own show (not that I want her to leave).

I am with everyone who's just boggled by how incoherent Katrina's character is. Although, I think she wasn't a High Society Quaker (because no way), I think she was a undercover as a Quaker, trying to get access to Cicero. So she was a toff, and a witch, and involved with the Revolutionaries as a spy or some such. They really needed to have shown her first interaction with Crane - have him recognize her and be confused, and have her say something like "I am whoever I need to be." That would have made her so much more her own person. Unfortunately, when she's not being incoherent, she comes off as very manipulative of Crane, since she knows so much more of what is going on than he does.

I am a bit uncomfortable with how much they whitewash American history though. I mean, they do sort of acknowledge that Jefferson was a complete hypocrit, but they don't really talk about how awful so many of those guys were. I mean, it was very much "of the time" but they were racist, classist, misogynists. Crane's beloved Washington was a slave owner. I'd feel so much more comfortable if they'd stop having Crane deifying the founding fathers, and just say they were great men with whom he had disagreements.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 pm

I had the same problem with Hugo Weaving when I started LOTR, because he'd been evil in The Matrix
Fixed that for you.

I have the same problem with the writing - mostly good if wacky, but some elements were rushed.

Tie for star of the show: Beharie's weapons-grade 'Seriously?' expression and Mison's character-defining posture.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Having a rewatch in preparation for Season Two.

Tom Mison is a pretty, pretty man.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Both leads are intimidatingly pretty. Nicole Beharie is a freaking goddess, as well as being awesome in every way. I spend embarrassing amounts of energy shipping those two.

Shallowness aside, I am so pumped for the new season. I really hope it opens out the universe and gives the characters even more depth than before. If they intend to make Katrina a permanent fixture, she really needs to justify her existence this season. And do some serious grovelling for being economical with the truth all that time.

Talking of grovelling, I want Ichabod to feel real remorse for leaving Abbie in Purgatory and pulling the stunt with the map and all. It should have a real impact on their friendship, and I don't want Abbie to necessarily forgive him right away either. Of course, it makes them stronger in the long run because ICHABBIE FOREVER.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Ditto to your whole post. I can't wait for this show to come back. And while I know that Abbie being stuck in Purgatory isn't technically Crane's fault, I'm salty at him anyway, and I hope he feels guilty as hell. And I definitely blame Katrina for it, so...yeah, there's basically no way I'm going to like her. I do hope they figure out some use for her though, so that she doesn't just suck up all the energy in the room and take precious time away from the characters I do like (everyone else, basically).
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 am

So glad this show still nails the super spooky creepy stuff: Moloch's lair with the pentagram, and the bats? Super freaky, and then the incantation, BOOM right in the Ichabbie feels.

Man I love Jenny, she is just capable as hell badass, and I loved how she had to get in on some Ichabod hugging. I love that he still calls her Miss Jenny.

On the Katrina front, we got a bit of perspective from her (I'm not afraid of you), and that got my hopes up, but just as quickly that had her Damsel in Distress mode. Beavis voice: Isn't she...like a witch? Or something? Hehehehehehe.

That ending with Denethor and War Knight was awfully Sauron-esque in it's aesthetic presentation. It was a little confusing too, was that supposed to be Moloch, or just Walter Denethor Crain's soul was animating it? I love that I mostly don't even care! It looked cool and scary, works for me.

The only note I didn't care for was Andy's overly hokey you make me feel mighty human and real on the nose goodbye to Abbie.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:55 am

As soon as Fakeabod said "Loo-tenant", my husband and I were all "OH SNAP." Loved it.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm

I was a bit disappointed in the season premiere, and I can't quite put my finger on why. The 'one year has passed' fake out made me think I'd missed an episode, so I was confused for a bit, which probably didn't help!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

I know what you mean - I felt the same way when the second-last season of Mad Men started. I believe 18 months was supposed to have elapsed between that season and the one before, and there were a lot of characters that I didn't recognize, so I was confused and a bit lost for a while.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 pm

I was a little confused when they opened with it being a year later and then I wondered if we were going to get a season of flashbacks to that missing year, while I also raged about a dead Jenny. But when it was revealed to be a trick I was pretty happy. It really worked for me. I thought it was a fun episode and they got right back into things with ease.

Not looking forward to more trapped Katrina though. Get her out next week please so we can move on from that. Though why she can't use her magic is just so silly.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Is it wrong that I was relieved when Ichabod said that Katrina was gone for good? Because I was. And then she was back and I was disappointed. I feel like every time things switch over to her, the episode just loses energy. I am glad that Jenny isn't dead. And that Abbie being stuck in purgatory was resolved by the end of the episode. I need Ichabbie together, even if it's just as besties. They're the best.

Why no Captain Irving? Or was he in there and I missed him? (I was doing stuff during the episode.) And I have to agree that John Noble went full Denethor during his final scene.

Overall, I liked it. I missed this silly, wonderful show.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Loved it - what a great way to kick-start the season. While I had been spoiled for the fake-out beginning, I was also pretty bummed when Katrina turned out to be alive and well. She really does suck the fun out of the show. The rapey intimations of that scene with Abraham really highlight some of the problems I have with her characterization - she is painted as a perpetual victim. Use your magic, woman!

All in all, it was great, silly fun. I was so happy to see Team Witness back together (and Jenny alive - yay!) with enough hugging to satisfy my shipper heart and my love for their BFF-ness. The special effects have come along by leaps and bounds, and the pace was still nice and tight, with some great acting by everyone. I was happy to see Andy Brooks, I still harbour hope for him becoming human again.

Next week can't come fast enough. If this episode is anything to go by, then season two is going to be even better, and goofier and the last.

I would have liked to see Abbie's dollhouse dilemma tied up though. I know it was an illusion and all, but it seemed like it was going to be part of Abbie's Purgatory torment. Maybe the writers felt that Abbie and Jenny's trauma in the woods had been all played out in the season finale?
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Why? Whywhywhy? When Dr Who is sloppy and lazy and McGuffiny I complain about how much the eyerolling hurts. When Sleepy Hollow does it (Super important object! That we've never heard of! That lets one person out! That Moloch is going to use to let everyone out! That is indestructible! And just went to dust in my hand!) I do not care one whit. It's not because they are pretty, or I would have forgiven 'Supernatural' long ago. It's not because I want them to become a couple, because that would be tacky (for a devoted married man, notwithstanding our opinion of his enamorata, love is blind. And stupid.) So what is it?

P.S.: Loo-tenant is a giveaway? Was the impostor a contemporary American demon?
P.P.S.: Sulfur doesn't quite work that way? If it did, we'd have Crane Pudding? And he'd be deaf.
P.P.P.S.: So the big plot was to trick Our Heroes into leading Denethor to the Key - that Our Heroes knew nothing about, and he had to walk them through the investigation to find?

Meanwhile, Katrina. Problematic. Particularly when placed opposite the Sisters Mills, who both rock quite effectively.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:55 pm

So happy it's back. SO HAPPY. I just absolutely adored it when Jenny went all FUCK THIS SHIT and promptly took care of business herself. Both she and Abbie are so confident in themselves and their ability to handle situations, and it's done with none of that "Oh look at the female character getting to be all kick-ass." They just *are* kick-ass and the show doesn't feel the need to either point it out or make a big deal out of it. REFRESHING.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:17 pm

I loved loved when Abbie was trying to be all stoic self-sacrificial, and she couldn't help but smile when she realized Ichabod was having NONE of it, SNIFF she really needed to see he was willing to put her and The Mission above everything. Awwww.

Meanwhile, Katrina. Problematic.

Yeah, I managed not to hate her last night (mostly because we didn't see much of her), but she really is problematic in so many ways. The constant Damsel in Distress status, especially when she is G-D Witch, is ridiculous, but I think they're reluctant to "empower" her so to speak, because then it kind of undercuts the witnesses. Also seeing how she communicated from Purgatory secreting into Moloch's lair makes her vague dithering in those sequences look even worse in retrospect, and reveals that one of her only powers we saw was being borrowed from another being. Jeezy Creezy.

I think the show has done a good job showing that magic in general is...antiquated, convoluted, and limited, which is fine, but C'MON having her be utterly helpless 98% of the time has got to stop.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 pm

First off - how on earth did I not make the leap from Henry Parrish to John Noble to Denethor? D'oh!

Second, seconding everything in Corvus' post. Despite my love of all things Fillion, I refused to watch Castle for two years because I found the premise so ridiculous. So basically, "Famous Author consulting with the police" = not plausible, but "Back from the Dead Revolutionary War Officer consulting with the police" is totally legit.

Third, I would rather watch Abbie and Ichabod "fist bump" than kiss.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Putli Bai wrote:Third, I would rather watch Abbie and Ichabod "fist bump" than kiss.  
Co-signed!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:06 pm

Thirded!
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  shanndee on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:39 am

Fourth-ed! ( With the caveat that I get to change my mind in 2 to 3 seasons time ;) )

Soooo happy my show is back, and just as odd as ever. All I need now is for Irving to come back and to get some more flashback (or ghost) Corbin and I'm all set.

shanndee

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:46 am

Can't we have both? After, as Ichabod would say, a proper allowance of time? (And having appropriately and tastefully solved our red-haired problem?)
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 24 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum