Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+68
Poubelle
Grainne Mhaol
big chicken
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Kookla
mayram
Eris Rising
themis
truecrystal
dionneshea
Gillian
MaddyCat
spidey_88
emrie
Swarley
bbridges
Sheli
Binky
sagitare
shamoogity
The Dude
Morning Angel
The Glen
mrinsouciance
Putli Bai
xyzzy
vwlphb
gannetguts
biakbiak
Matinee
killershrew
Wildog27
Algae
Jude
nikita
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
naughty zoot
Kiran
laddical
punzy
ulkis
Unlucky Bear
Esseilte
RiverThames
Agent Sculder
katesti
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
mokey75
Cynara
Coneycat
Carrie Ann
Gallifrey Girl
blixie
PrincessCleo
whatthedeuce
QueenSix
Snarryfan
bookworm
salamandersam
Red Wolf
PineappleGirl
Raksha
puddingcup
inversed
eventide82
72 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 3 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  eventide82 Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah, I thought the actors played their characters really well, I just think the narrative was too indecisive about what it was trying to focus on. I feel like maybe a lot of stuff got cut (or maybe the script really was that bad).

We watched Hitchcock last night, which I liked. Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren were wonderful, and I have major pool and garden envy of the house they used to shoot the home scenes at.

We also watched Now You See Me a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. My husband and I both figured the twist out fairly early on though.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 am

I really enjoyed Man of Steel, and normally I am not interested in Superman (I've never seen any of the other movies). I also loved seeing Elliot Stabler and Toby Ziegler saving the day!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 pm

I really liked Man of Steel but thought it would have been way better if the battles were shorter. They felt so relentless and repetitive and there wasn't much space between battles either, which was tiring to sit through.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:38 pm

We just watched it this weekend, and I agree. I liked Henry Cavill, and all of the supporting cast was strong. But the whole second half just seemed like people flying into buildings, stuff blowing up. It could have been any sci-fi action movie.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm sure guys loved the endless battles, but I could barely hear anything in those scenes, which I'm sure many guys (who those were targeted at) probably didn't mind, but it annoyed me. Plus, you could barely see Henry's gorgeous face during the fights cuz he was whizzing around smashing into shit. That was a big downer as well.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 pm

When we watched Man of Steel, I kept thinking how much Henry Cavill looked like a young Christopher Reeve.

I agree about the battle scenes, I thought they were a tad too long as well.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Netflix Streaming Power Weekend!

Flowers of War: Christian Bale returns to his roots, by that I mean a white person trapped in Nanking in 1937. But he does a great job playing someone who's just dickish enough that it takes him a bit of time to do the decent thing. But this is a gorgeous movie. Really worth seeing.

Frances Ha: More or less what I expected. Greta Gerwig playing a late-20s girl who totally doesn't have her shit together, and seems annoyed that other people do. Fine for a ninety minute movie.

Rare Exports: This was cool. Like the snowy, nordic version of a Mummy movie.

RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:44 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I'm sure guys loved the endless battles, but I could barely hear anything in those scenes, which I'm sure many guys (who those were targeted at) probably didn't mind, but it annoyed me. Plus, you could barely see Henry's gorgeous face during the fights cuz he was whizzing around smashing into shit. That was a big downer as well.
Well, my mother and me aren't guys but we enjoyed the battle scenes a lot. If we go to a comic book movie or an action flick and there is not major shit blowing up or being knocked down by super beings, we do not feel we get our money's worth. (Although as I said to my mother, I don't know why she does feel like she has a right to complain because she hasn't bought a cinema ticket in years! I have more reason to be aggrieved as I pay the admission! Heh).

MoS isn't out here yet for home viewing, but The Wolverine finally is and I watched it On Demand. It's not a bad film but it could be about anybody really. It didn't feel like it really did the character justice. However it was an entertaining film and Hugh Jackman brings it to the screen like he always does.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 pm

I don't mind action and battle, but the ones in MoS felt like they would never end, and my ears honestly just began to throb from all the relentless noise. If those battles had been separated by quieter, more dialogue-driven scenes, I don't think I'd havr minded them as much. I did think it terribly awww-inspiring when Supes freaked out over his mom being threatened.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:35 pm

They did pile on the action/fight scenes, I agree. As much as I enjoyed the film, there were bits about it I would have preferred were done differently and more character moments is top of the list. However, as I am not dead, any critical reasoning I have when watching the film usually gets shoved out by me shrieking "CAVILL!!!" and applauding when he's on screen. In my head though. I have not yet become the reason someone posts in a cinema etiquette thread somewhere.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:26 pm

I can still picture that one scene of him in a Royals shirt, and it's the most gorgeous thing my eyes have feasted on this year. I really need more Cavill in my life.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm

God, yes. I have a very patient and understanding husband, who only laughed as I kept saying, "This is the best movie ever!" at some of HC's hottest moments.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 pm

I don't even know if I was breathing at certain points. He was just too beautiful to behold.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Who wore it better: Clark on the oil rig (ON FIRE), or Thor just washing up for dinner?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm not big on Chris Hemsworth (though I think he looks handsome from time to time), so my vote definitely goes to Clark on the rig!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 am

laddical wrote:Who wore it better: Clark on the oil rig (ON FIRE), or Thor just washing up for dinner?
I'm an only child. I don't make those kinds of choices; I'll just take 'em both.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Right? I was like why choose? This is 2013, I'm a free bitch, baby.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I just finished watching Byzantium, which is a really interesting take on the classic vampire film. Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton are the two main characters who pretend to be "sisters" but their relationship is actually much more complicated. What I really liked about the story was that while it was clearly a vampire movie, it wasn't afraid to have it's own version of vampires, but it still kept them sexy and dangerous. In other words, no sparkling!

It was good and quite creepy, and just bloody enough to be a proper horror film. Definitely worth your time if you like vampire movies, and are sick of seeing either versions where the vamps have been de-fanged in order to appeal to teenage girls or are hyper-violent monsters.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:51 am

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. I wasn't planning on watching it b/c I was pretty exhausted and sleepy but it engrossed me and I forgot about my earlier state. I am in amazement that after her violent attack, Lisbeth was still able to function and do her work in exceptional capacity. A couple of questions:
Is this a faithful adaptation of the novel?
How did Mikael know that the trigger to get her to cooperate in his investigation was to hunt down a murderer of women? I thought her record was sealed and could not be read.

I find it hard to say it was a favourite movie but I did wake up thinking what an asshole, bastard Mikael was in the end (and I also thought that the magazine editor was probably reacting in a competitive behaviour and  not really motivated by love).

Last edited by aficionada on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bold code not working)

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:59 pm

I didn't make it past the 20 minute mark of This Is 40. Unfunny and unpleasant.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm

naughty zoot, that sounds like the briefest recap of all the other reviews I've read about that film.

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:01 pm

That's about how long we made it, naughty zoot. (Well, we might have hung in there another 10 minutes or so, but I was definitely ready to turn it off by then.) It was just terrible.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I watched it all and liked parts of it...but wow. Self indulgent. Whats worse is I could see the makings of a good movie (the pot sequence is great, Megan Fox is surprisingly good, the daughter's Lost fixation, Melissa McCarthy)...but...Judd Apatow needs an editor. Also I like Leslie Mann and his kids are cute, but he overestimates how much of them we need. I mean its great he adores them but...not all your movies need them. Its like how the first half of Funny People, which is about comedians and a celebrity grappling with how far hes sold out is actually quite good, but the second half which includes them is a hot mess (although Eric Bana is fun).
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 pm

I guess I was under the impression that The Sandlot was some kind of early 90s classic kids movie and it just seems like a massively inferior attempt to mine Stand By Me territory. Everyone, including Denis Leary and Karen Allen are terrible.

Last edited by naughty zoot on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:05 pm

The Sandlot is FLAWLESS. I WILL HEAR NOTHING AGAINST IT. NOTHING.

I SAID NOTHING.

I watched it all the time as a wee child and I refuse to believe that I may be looking at it with nostalgic eyes. I REFUSE I SAY.

Last edited by Kiran on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next