Current Reads

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 10 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 pm

I've returned to Gone Girl after a two month absence. I have my own theory about what happened to her, but I could be completely wrong.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:55 pm

I just finished Wisp of a Thing by Alex Bledsoe, the second of the Tufa novels. I really enjoyed this. The main characters in this book are several of the minor characters from the first book, plus a new guy. This book gets more into the weirdness and mystery of the Tufa people (they're faeries and the descendents of faeries, basically) and the way their society works. But it doesn't get so into that stuff that there's no room for future stories and intrigue left. Rob was kind of an unusual hero, in that he kind of accidentally backs into the powder keg that was the Tufa status quo. But once he was in it, he stepped up and I liked him just fine. I liked Bliss Overbay a lot more and wished that she was the primary protagonist because I want to know more about her. Fun book!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:34 am

You can get the audiobook of Code Name Verity for free from Audiobooks Sync through June 18. There are no geographical restrictions on Code Name Verity so it's available worldwide.  You'll need to download the Overdrive Media Console if you don't already have on your computer.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Finished Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932 by Francine Prose. It's a novel based on true events of a French lesbian (the subject of the title photo w/her lover at the time) who betrayed her country and worked with the Nazis in Occupied Paris. It's put together through excerpts of memoirs and letters of those who knew her or knew of her (including a photographer based on Brassai who took the original, real, photo that Prose saw) and a "biography" of her as well. I found many of the other characters more fascinating than Lou Villars, but the book works overall. It really puts you into Paris and what the characters, including Lou, went through. It also has a couple interesting twists. Good book.

And now I'm into Breakfast Served Anytime which I am utterly charmed by. I usually don't go in for overly smart teens, but Gloria is flawed enough to make it work and I just want to hug everyone in this book. It's really great.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:53 am

Finally finished Gone Girl. I feel like I need to take a shower.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 am

I'm reading How to Create the Perfect Wife. This guy decides he'll never find a woman that will meet his perfect standard of womanhood, so he takes a girl from the foundling hospital and decides to raise her so she'll become the perfect woman. It doesn't really go as planned. Even by the relatively loose morals and feelings about orphans in Georgian England, this is looked at as kind of weird.

One reviewer summed it up as "A biography about the Georgian poet, Stoic, philosopher, and hypocrite—Thomas Day."
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Because I am a year behind all the time, I got Eleanor & Park to read on a road trip last week and LOVED it. I kind of want to go back and read it again, just because I flew through it so fast. I feel like I need to let it sit and process a little better.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Gillian, I'm behind too because I just started reading Eleanor & Park last week. I'm really enjoying it, but I feel like it's going to have a sad ending.

But I'm happy because I picked up Fangirl from the library last night, which I've heard good things about!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 am

The Revolution was Televised: From Buffy to Breaking Bad - The People and the Shows that Changed TV Drama Forever, by Alan Sepinwall. Each chapter covers shows like Oz, The Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Buffy, and Deadwood, etc and - pretty much as the title says - looks at their genesis and the way they changed TV storytelling. The author interviewed most of the writers and producers involved in each show, so he gets some good inside knowledge. I've never watched Deadwood (but now I want to), but I found that chapter the most interesting, mostly because the guy who created it also created NYPD Blue, which I did watch, and the chapter covers a lot of that as well. He blames his first heart attack on David Caruso's diva behaviour. I haven't watched every show Sepinwall covers, but those chapters are still interesting.

ETA: Ron D. Moore talking about writing for Star Trek was also a particularly interesting part.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 pm

Ooh, I really want to read that one! I've got it on my Paperback Swap wishlist, but I think I might have to request it as an interlibrary loan.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 pm

I loved that book, Bad Username. I never watched half the shows mentioned, but the write-ups on them were endlessly intriguing and so thoughtful. Deadwood was an amazing series even if I found the dialogue a bit hard to comprehend at first. You definitely need to give it a try!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 am

Today I finished Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and I really loved it. It's a beautiful and heartbreaking tale of a family in the 1970s that quietly unravels in the wake of the death of the beloved middle child, and the events that formed the ways the family members related to each other and inadvertently lead to the circumstances of Lydia's death. The mother wanted to be a doctor before an unplanned pregnancy locked her into the homemaker role that she so dreaded (it was the 1950s), so she put all her derailed dreams onto Lydia. The father is the child of Chinese immigrants, always made to feel unwanted and out of place who really wants Lydia to be popular and well liked, and he really resents his son because the kid is so much like him. The poor youngest child, Hannah, is basically invisible, but she sees more than people realize. I liked the way the narrative jumps back and forth in time, showing first the events and interactions that were formative for various family members, then jumping forward to show how all that manifests in the ways they act and react after Lydia's death. It never gets confusing, though. A very delicately written book.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 am

Let's see...last week, I read Mistress of the Sun, which I expected to like a lot more than I did. The story of the woman that fascinated the Sun King? The beginning of Versailles? It should have been fascinating and sparkling and captivating and it wasn't. There was a lot of telling me that Petite was fascinating, but I never really got it.

And then I read The Director, which was much better. Kind of a throw back to Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels, but in the world of cyber-terrorism and cynicism. I emailed my dad in the middle of reading it to tell him to read it.

I have The Silkworm to read, but I don't know if I'll read it next or something lighter first.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Raksha, I just put that on my list after a positive review in Entertainment Weekly! I'm thrilled to hear you found it beautiful and well-written.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:42 pm

I read Leigh Bardugo's Shadow & Bone in one day. That day was yesterday. I now have book two in my hands and I can't wait to read that. It's a great read. I found myself settling into the story so easily and I realised what I liked about it was that there was no over the top hand wringing by Alina, the lead character. Yes, she has moments where she's not sure what's going on or what's happening but there's no being hit over the head with pages of her angst. Plus it was a damn intriguing story. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Algae wrote:Let's see...last week, I read Mistress of the Sun, which I expected to like a lot more than I did. The story of the woman that fascinated the Sun King? The beginning of Versailles? It should have been fascinating and sparkling and captivating and it wasn't. There was a lot of telling me that Petite was fascinating, but I never really got it. .

Yeah, I skimmed through it, and it seemed really ponderous and boring. Good thing I got it for cheap at a booksale, if I had bought it for more or got it from a library I would have forced myself to read through it.

I tried out some romance novel called Through a Dark Mist by Marsha Canham, and was kinda disapointed. I usually don't read romance novels (although I do read a lot of fiction novels that might as well be classified as such, so this isn't a slam against romance novels, just something I don't usually read), but I like the Robin Hood legend and a reviewer I usually share tastes with recommended this one, so I decided to take a chance on this one. It wasn't horrible, but meh. From the reviews I thought it was going to be fun and light-hearted and fast-paced, and while it certainly wasn't particularly dark or slow, it wasn't particularly witty or fun either. The sequels seem more interesting though, since they are about the side characters and not the drippy couple at the focus of this one.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:26 am

Having no internet or TV as a stay-at-home-mom means a lot of reading. Two YAs I just finished: Grasshopper Jungle was not at all what I expected it to be. I'm sure at some point I'd read a synopsis before I put it on my book list but if so, I forgot what it was about and so was very surprised, in a good way. Roomies was fun and easy-to-read, I imagine it'd be good for a beach read. Currently finishing I, Coriander which is very good so far - I picked it up on a whim at a secondhand shop and have been pleased.

Next up is something more substantial: MadAddam by Margaret Atwood.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:11 am

Next up is something more substantial: MadAddam by Margaret Atwood.
I'm reading that now, I'm about half-way through. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I re-read Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood before starting it, and boy howdy, am I glad I did. There was so much I'd forgotten.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am

Tabby are they must reads before reading MadAddam?
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:11 pm

There are plot summaries of the first two books in the front of the book, so you might be able to get away without reading them. A lot of MaddAddam is backstory on one of the characters, and it doesn't require much knowledge of what went on. You might get a little lost, although I don't know if it would be enough to ruin the story.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Just finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and I actually liked it. I say actually b/c at first I was not that impressed and found it a bit predictable, but then the pages started turning and I just really liked the characters. It was sweet and heartbreaking and heartwarming all at once. Usually not a book I'd really go for, but this time it worked.

And I'm almost done with A Moveable Feast, which I'd wanted to read since The Paris Wife and finally got around to. It's...fine. Not particularly revelatory about Hemingway, which is what I wanted. I think I'm just not a Hemingway fan and I have to be cool with that. Not my cup of tea. Or whiskey, in his case.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 am

Raksha, I read an arc of Everything I Never Told You months ago and LOVED it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:04 am

Yeah, that one's really stuck with me! One scene or another will cross my mind randomly and I'll get sad all over again.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Raksha wrote:I just finished Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce.  It's about a woman who disappeared when she was 16 who turns up at her parents' door 20 years later.  She claims to have ridden off with a man on a white horse and stayed with him for 6 months, only to come home and find all this time had passed.  The story is about how all the people around her (her family, the psychiatrist she has to see, and the boyfriend who everyone thought killed her all those years ago) relate to her and deal with her sudden reappearance.  A nice quiet little book.

I read this recently, and agree with this assessment. I thought it could have had a bit more substance, but it was an interesting look at family dynamics.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:35 am

Today I finished The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler and I did not care for it. It felt like there were two completely unrelated plots here which they tried to blend into one, but it just didn't work. Basically, the first plot completely disappears half way through the book only to suddenly pop up and be quickly and weakly resolved in, like, two pages. The entire police force was completely incompetent, with the main superstar detective not much better. And it wasn't like the police force was written to be weak so the brilliant amateurs look that much better in comparison. No. Because those people just happened to be slightly more lucky about information falling into their laps than the police were. Then there were the weird threats of sexual violence to the female characters by random people in passing.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum