Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+63
ActonBell
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mandalaya
Gilraen
queenofdenile
Shadowlass
mo pie
emrie
RiverThames
punzy
Snarryfan
Gillian
rivki8699
Kiran
BreezyK
eventide82
dionneshea
big chicken
Red Wolf
laddical
PineappleGirl
Carrie Ann
Wildog27
Crackie
Gallifrey Girl
stargirl
VodouDoll
Poubelle
particle_person
mialoubug
mayram
ulkis
Instant Monkeys
QueenSix
Unlucky Bear
Tabby
mokey75
snorf
Jude
Kookla
themis
Putli Bai
Coneycat
Bad Username
choubetcha
RubyTuesday
killershrew
puddingcup
dinahmoe
Swarley
sagitare
salamandersam
katesti
gannetguts
inversed
Raksha
The Glen
naughty zoot
whatthedeuce
Crowbridge
MaddyCat
Algae
67 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 14 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  inversed Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 am

I've been reading Frog Music by Emma Donoghue foreeeeeever. Mostly because I'm too tired at the end of the day to read but also because it's not as engaging as I'd hoped. I just can't quite get a handle on it. I do really like that the main character is a prostitute who loves sex, but she's not punished for that. But really the only reason I'm finishing it is because I have got to find out what happens to the baby.

I'm also halfway through Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger which I like WAY more, but I'm making myself finish Frog Music first.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I was reading Howl's Moving Castle but I've set it aside for the final Heroes of Olympus book, The Blood of Olympus. Rick Riordan does like to lovingly troll his fans.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:07 pm

I couldn't be bothered to finish Son of Neptune. I didn't care about the non-Percy characters, and the POV-structure was off-putting. The way he structured POV in Lost Hero was mildly annoying, but doubly so in Son of Neptune.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:46 pm

inversed, I tried Frog Music a few months ago, but the structure or diction or something was off-putting to me though I can't remember exactly what or why now.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I also struggled through Frog Music. I only finished it because I wanted to know what happend to P'tit, but those were some of the least likable characters ever. I'm pretty sure I skimmed most of the last third.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:46 am

I don't know if anyone here is interested or not, but Maggie Stiefvater's 3rd book in The Raven Cycle Blue Lily, Lily Blue is free for pre-order today for Kindle on Amazon. It comes out on October 21 (my birthday!).

Eh, it just downloaded and it's a sneak preview, so never mind!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 am

I'm looking forward to that sequel myself even though I didn't like the last book half as much as I did the first installment. Is it a trilogy? I don't want it to end just yet, so I'm hoping that it'll be a longer series.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Finally finished Beukes follow-up to The Shining Girls, Broken Monsters and I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it felt so convoluted at times and not for any real purpose. I don't need my books tied up in a pretty bow or anything, but this was too messy for me. So many threads to follow and they didn't come together in a fully satisfying way. And she puts you into the serial killer's brain again (this is not a spoiler), but it wasn't as effective as in TSG, in my view. It bummed me out, man.

Onto Reconstructing Amelia which already seems quite dark. I need something upbeat after this!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:27 am

Yeah, Reconstructing Amelia definitely doesn't have much lightness in it, but I remember enjoying it and zipping through it quite quickly!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 am

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I just finished The Engagements and it was delightful. Recommended by Entertainment Weekly, and it is four interlocking stories, including the story of the (unmarried female) copywriter who came up with the tagline "A Diamond Is Forever."

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 am

I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children and am hoping it doesn't get too creepy since I'm often alone at home.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Reading A Discovery of Witches by Katherine Howe, and I want SO BADLY to love it, but the main love interest reminds me SO much of Edward Cullen that it's really a struggle to get through.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Okay, I put aside Reconstructing Amelia in favor of Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel and boy am I glad I did. Guys, this is a GREAT book. It's post-apocalyptic--99% of the population has been wiped out by a flu--and it toggles back and forth in time between pre-flu and post-flu, revolving around a small set of characters who knew or came in contact with the famous actor Arthur Leander. Of course it covers ideas about what it means to survive, but it also covers themes of fame, family, ambition, and memory. I was highlighting provocative lines like crazy.

I just found this riveting. It's dark, thoughtful, sometimes creepy, sometimes hopeful, always well-written.

I had a summer of mediocre reads, so this was frickin' amazing. So happy I read it!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Miss Peregrine's didn't really do anything for me. I actually found it pretty boring after the first 100 pages, but it was short enough that I figured I'd at least finish it and see what happens.

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm reading The Shining Girls right now, which is really, really good. Maybe it's because I need a good distraction right now, but I'm finding it riveting.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Oh man. I loved that book. Hadn't read anything like it, and I liked the female protagonist a lot. I've gotten so many people to read that book by saying four words: Time traveling serial killer. Works every time!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:11 am

I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks on my commute lately (NPR just got to be too much). It's been really neat. While I've always enjoyed dystopic/speculative/weird fiction, I'm really enjoying listening to them. I've probably covered more of that genre than I have in the past.

Yesterday, I finished Neverwhere. Why am I just now discovering Neil Gaiman? What fantastical worlds he weaves. I'm loving them.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:29 am

I did get back to Reconstructing Amelia and it was quite good, though sad of course. It was a tiny bit Lifetime movie-esque towards the end, but overall it was well-written and quite the page-turner. I see it gets compared to Gone Girl a lot, which I don't quite get. They are both mysteries, yes, but beyond that I don't see a ton of similarities.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:47 am

MaddyCat wrote:Oh man. I loved that book. Hadn't read anything like it, and I liked the female protagonist a lot. I've gotten so many people to read that book by saying four words: Time traveling serial killer. Works every time!

Umm... yeah, you got me with that. Off to Amazon!
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 am

I read John Scalzi's Lock In over the weekend. Gripping - I finished it in a day. I loved that it threw you into the world he created, so the first third or so of the book was spent figuring out what was being described. It ends up being an mystery, but also looks at pandemics, disabilities and politics. Really interesting.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm on One Plus One by Jojo Moyes, and it's much more comedic than her other works that I've read. It bears the same thoughtfulness and depth of feeling that I enjoyed about Me Before You, but iit definitely doesn't hit as hard. It's quite enjoyable though, and I think Moyes is a reliable author when you want a book with well-drawn characters.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:15 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I'm on One Plus One by Jojo Moyes, and it's much more comedic than her other works that I've read. It bears the same thoughtfulness and depth of feeling that I enjoyed about Me Before You, but iit definitely doesn't hit as hard. It's quite enjoyable though, and I think Moyes is a reliable author when you want a book with well-drawn characters.

That was such a quick and enjoyable read for me, which surprised me because the description didn't interest me AT ALL. I was only reading it because I like JoJo Moyes so much that I want to read all her books and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I ended up liking it.

I'm trying to read This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz, but I cannot seem to get into it. I kept hearing it described as beautifully written but it's coming across much more coarse than I was expecting. So far it seems to be far more about sex than about love or romance and while that's not categorically a bad thing, it's not what I was expecting.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:27 am

Algae wrote:I read John Scalzi's Lock In over the weekend. Gripping - I finished it in a day. I loved that it threw you into the world he created, so the first third or so of the book was spent figuring out what was being described. It ends up being an mystery, but also looks at pandemics, disabilities and politics. Really interesting.

That's how I felt about it. I loved it. I thought it was great that Scalzi managed to address those issues mentioned without being didactic, and that the exposition was parcelled out in small pieces. He really trusted the intelligence of his readers.

I also recently read The Picture of Dorian Gray, and enjoyed it a lot. I know Wilde is known as a funny writer, but I didn't expect to be so amused while reading a story about a man who sells his soul to the devil and does a bunch of depraved stuff.

Also read Outlander, and wow. In a good way and a bad way. Reading the book helped fill in some stuff that I wasn't able to quite catch on the show, and I think it's well written. Better written than other time-travel romances I've read anyway. I don't know if or how they're going to handle what's coming up on the show, there were more than a few instances where my face was like this while I was reading it.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 am

Hollow City was...pretty good. It didn't have that magic GRAB factor that the first one (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) had for me -- I brought that one home from the library after work and sat on my couch for like four hours reading it before I managed to wrench myself away to make myself some dinner. I did like this one, but it dragged a little, in the first half especially. Also, I figured out somewhere in the back half of the last book that it was basically all written around the old photographs that he'd come across, and that made it feel less mysterious and more gimmicky to me. This book was more of the same; sometimes it almost felt like a writing exercise in making the story work around the photos.

There's a third one coming, but at least this one had a reasonably satisfying ending, I felt.

I'm about to start The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, who previously caused me to seriously think about building a bunker and taking up doomsday prepping with The 5th Wave. (The sequel to THAT one is also something I'll be getting hold of as soon as I can.) It's Creepy YA Book Season. (Not coincidentally: I went to the library where I work to pick up The Monstrumologist, and happened to see Hollow City, which had had holds on it the last time I'd checked, on the shelf near it so I grabbed it.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 pm

I finally read Eleanor and Park which was so good. Just heartbreaking. Loved it!

Also read A Really Awesome Mess which was recommended on Forever Young Adult for some reason. Well, I didn't really read it so much as skim through most of it because it was awful. Like the novelization of an after-school special.

Now I'm onto Wonder, which was also recced by FYA so they might get a pass for the good review of A Really Awesome Mess because so far it's good.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next