Current Reads

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 18 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:33 am

I *loved* The Rosie Project! It's one of those books I would never have read (it lacks dragons!) if not for my book club. I haven't read the sequel yet, but I plan to!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:14 am

Read Bill Browder's Red Notice about his experience running the most successful hedge fund in Russia before he challenged one too many oligarchs, ended up being denied entry, charged with tax evasion, and taking on the Russian government. Even before you get to the intrigue of the criminal charges against him and the harassment, lawyers having to flee and the eventual death of one of his lawyers in prison*, I found it fascinating in a way I wasn't expecting about basically finding investment in emerging markets. Seriously, My friend told me it was a page turner which given many chapters concentrate on investing, I thought iwas probably an exaggeration but Browder has an engaging writing style and I finished it in a day.

*Not spoilers literally in the full title of the book.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Finished The Girl on the Train which is billed as this year's Gone Girl, but no. At least not for me. It was a fast read and had a decent premise (unreliable narrator thinks she knows something about the disappearance of a woman, but what is it and is it real?) but I got quite impatient with the three female narrators and by the end I was ready for it to be over.

Next up: Everything I Never Told You, which has been on my To Read shelf for awhile.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 pm

I just started The Girl on The Train today! I've read good reviews and my mom enjoyed it, so I hope I like it. I'm not that far into it yet.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:39 am

MaddyCat wrote:Finished The Girl on the Train which is billed as this year's Gone Girl, but no. At least not for me. It was a fast read and had a decent premise (unreliable narrator thinks she knows something about the disappearance of a woman, but what is it and is it real?) but I got quite impatient with the three female narrators and by the end I was ready for it to be over.

I felt the same way. I got really frustrated with everyone in that book, and, like you, I just wanted to finish it. It's definitely a quick read - I think I read it in a couple of sittings - but it fell flat.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Starfish and Maelstrom, by Peter Watts, books 1 and 2 in the Rifters trilogy. Set in the future - it's a bit murky how far, but I believe the late 21st / early 22nd century - and the first book is set mainly under the ocean as a group of...misfits, for want of a better word...tend a geothermal power station. Gradually it becomes apparent that there's an organism down there that, if it evolves to different atmospheres (ie above the ocean) will threaten pretty much all life on earth. The second book moves away from those characters and takes a broader view. This series is relatively 'hard' sci-fi, but doesn't sacrifice characterisation and plot. They're very good and I recommend them for anyone who's interested in the genre.

Currently reading The Queen of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen. So far it's good, it starts off with some decent action, and the author has set up a bit of a mystery regarding the main character's background, as well as the actual setting. It seems to be set on an alternate earth, or another dimension, or another planet? It's a bit like Earth, and there are place names like 'New Europe', and 'New London', and references to the 'Crossing', but it's not completely revealed yet.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:19 pm

Now into the Wayward Pines trilogy. Just finished the first book, Pines and now into the second, Wayward. It's quite twisty and good. The premise is a guy wakes up in this small town with no memory, no wallet, no nothing. As he gets his memories back, he realizes the town is way stranger than he thought....and things get weirder from there. They are making a series out of the books I hear, so I want to finish. I quite like Ethan, the main character and am interested to see where it ends up. Usually I can see twists coming, but not in this book. At least not the first one.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:12 am

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Among Others and I love, love, love it! Mori's voice is so authentic, and the way Walton weaves in the story of finding a place where you fit in with the magical backstory is really well done. I'm actually trying not to read too fast because I don't want to leave Mori behind!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm

I loved that one, too, inversed, and it's driving me nuts that she hasn't done a sequel yet.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:01 pm

I finished Everything I Never Told You. It was crushingly sad, but also well-written and compelling. There were moments where I thought she tilted towards over-writing a bit, going so heavy on the details I thought she didn't trust her audience to get the point, and that did annoy me at times, but overall a good read. And fast, too, I read it in two days.

Now I'm finishing the Pines trilogy and still really liking it. I hope he pulls off a total WOW ending.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07 am

The idea that there could be a sequel to Among Others fills me with joy! What a fantastic book.

I'm now reading The Miniaturist which is very intriguing so far.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Currently into Erik Larson's Dead Wake about the sinking of the Lusitania during WWI. I'm totally into it, though Larson's structure of alternating topics chapter by chapter can be frustrating when he leaves a cliffhanger in a chapter and you have to wait two more chapters (there are three main storylines) to get back to it.

I find the Woodrow Wilson story the least compelling but overall the book definitely has me in its clutches, as did his previous books. Also, I know very little about this historical event (aside from the actual sinking) so pretty much everything is a revelation to me.

What I do know: I never want to be in a submarine. Ick.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:14 am

Just read The Memory Garden which was really not great. Wandering, repetitive and with very little payoff. I only kept reading it because it was the only book I had loaded on my Kindle, and I just kept getting more annoyed. I have no idea how it ended up on my to-read list but it was a pretty big waste of time.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I just finished Atul Gawande's Being Mortal. It's a pretty unflinching look at end-of-life issues in the US. Worth a read if you have any interest in the subject.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:25 pm

MaddyCat wrote:Currently into Erik Larson's Dead Wake about the sinking of the Lusitania during WWI. I'm totally into it, though Larson's structure of alternating topics chapter by chapter can be frustrating when he leaves a cliffhanger in a chapter and you have to wait two more chapters (there are three main storylines) to get back to it.

I find the Woodrow Wilson story the least compelling but overall the book definitely has me in its clutches, as did his previous books. Also, I know very little about this historical event (aside from the actual sinking) so pretty much everything is a revelation to me.

What I do know: I never want to be in a submarine. Ick.

If you have get the chance to visit the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, go see the U-505 exhibit. I saw it years ago and it was one of the few times I felt claustrophobic. I can't even begin to imagine how people who are taller than 5 feet tall deal with living on it for weeks or months at a time.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Seconding this. I thought it was the coolest thing as a kid. Went back as a full-grown adult a few years ago, and NOPE.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sun May 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Diving into Murakami's 1Q84 and enjoying it so far. However, the sheer weight of it is daunting, not gonna lie.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun May 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Someone in here recommended Liane Moriarty and I spent most of the weekend reading her first book Three Wishes, which I loved. It was just so easy and enjoyable to read, you know? I'm looking forward to making my way through some more of her stuff soon.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Mon May 04, 2015 6:45 pm

MaddyCat wrote:Diving into Murakami's 1Q84 and enjoying it so far. However, the sheer weight of it is daunting, not gonna lie.
I read that last year - it had a weird, hypnotic effect on me. Like, "I'm not really into this, I should totally put it down, and yet I'm still reading." And I finished it, without ever being certain about what I read.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 pm

eventide82 wrote:Someone in here recommended Liane Moriarty and I spent most of the weekend reading her first book Three Wishes, which I loved. It was just so easy and enjoyable to read, you know? I'm looking forward to making my way through some more of her stuff soon.

Yay! That's actually my least favorite of hers, so you've got lots of goodness ahead of you!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 am

Oh, that's good to know, katesti. I found it fairly enjoyable enough, mostly it was just an easy thing to read while I had a sick toddler lying on me for most of the weekend!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Oh, I definitely liked it! But it's her first, and you can really see her grow over the course of the books. I read it last, so I had all the really phenomenal stuff still in my head, but it's certainly enjoyable and a lot of the seeds of the rest of her work are certainly there.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed May 06, 2015 3:55 pm

katesti wrote:Oh, I definitely liked it! But it's her first, and you can really see her grow over the course of the books. I read it last, so I had all the really phenomenal stuff still in my head, but it's certainly enjoyable and a lot of the seeds of the rest of her work are certainly there.

Looking for new books right now, I'm going to check these out. Which are your favorites?

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Wed May 06, 2015 5:09 pm

I loved Big Little Lies, her newest one which I read first. And I also really liked The Husband's Secret. But I've read all of them except the Three Wishes one, and liked them all. I also listen to them on audiobook, so I get to enjoy the Aussie accents too.

Oh, calamity.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 pm

YES, Big Little Lies is at the top of my list as well. But honestly, they are all really great and delightful and funny and sometimes dark and really compulsively readable. Just make sure you don't have anything important you need to do for the next couple of days.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum