Current Reads

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 20 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Kookla on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Just finished Station Eleven, and it was beautiful. It's short on plot, but at the same time, not really. It's more of an unfolding than anything, and tonally it reminded me a of a cross between The Road and The Night Circus, but decidedly more relatable than both. One review on the back of the book says it really well: "it left me wistful for a world where I still live." I really loved it and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Also forgot to mention that I read all of the Wayward Pines books over the course of a few weeks. The first one was good, and it did a decent jobs of tying some motifs and themes together, plus the shocking twist surrounding the whole "small town with a big secret to hide" was actually shocking! The second book was kind of meh, and the third one was pretty violent and as a result kind of difficult to read (if that stuff bothers you) but I thought the resolution was quite good (it has an epic last line). All in all, a good little trilogy - took a standard mystery setup and did something interesting and unique with it, I thought. Haven't watched any of the TV show.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:13 am

I've been re-reading The Princess Diaries. It's been fun to relive my teenager years. :) The series is finally being finished with their wedding. I especially like all the snarky asides about "the movies that were made about my life!" and how upset she is that Grandmere is nice in the movies.

I'm listening to Running with Kenyans. It's ok. I'm having a tough time every time he's disparaging of Western Runners that do it to get into shape ("all bandy-legs and beer bellies" is how he referred to that, I believe), but I really do want to see how it turns out and if he manages to finish the marathon he's training for.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:16 pm

I'm in the middle of the Princess Diaries wedding book! It's coming to the beach with me tomorrow, so I'll probably finish it then. It's a lot of fun, and it makes me want to dig out my old Princess Diaries and Mediator books, since I think there's also an adult Mediator book coming out eventually. It all makes me very nostalgic for my high school days and, let's be real, most of my college days as well. Meg Cabot was my crack back then.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am

I bought the new Princess Diaries right when it came out and was a little heartbroken to find I wasn't enjoying it much.  I realized that
Spoiler:
between the title of the book itself and the heavy promos lately for Meg Cabot's new series Diaries of a Middle School Princess or whatever it's called, there were no surprises left. Fine, if the book's called Royal Wedding, you gotta expect a proposal.  But I wish Meg Cabot had kept Olivia's book series a secret until after the Mia book revealed Olivia's actual existence.
 And I'd been so excited for the book, hoping it would bring me that same nostalgia.  Maybe my expectations were just too high.  But honestly, after The Royal We by Heather and Jessica, Meg Cabot's first "adult" Princess Diaries book felt like it was 100% still a Young Adult novel.  Also,
Spoiler:
why would she kill Frank?!?!?!

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:05 am

Oh, I didn't realise the new Princess Diaries was out! Adding it to my growing to-read list.

I've almost finished The Girl on the Train and it's been a good, engrossing read. I find Rachael frustrating in the extreme, and I've figured out who the bad guy is, but it's still gripping.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 am

Oh, Rachael. Poor, poor Rachael. God, I wanted to be her get-a-grip friend.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 pm

This is next up on my list.

Right now I am reading the fourth Lacey Flint book "The Dark and Twisted Tide" by Sharon Bolton. I happen to love Lacey as a character; a lot of readers seem to not like her. I just finished the latest Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway book, "The Ghost Fields." I highly recommend these. Ruth is a forensic archelogist, a little different than one or two of the other serials I read.

Also on the list: "The Kill" by Jane Casey; "The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths" by Harry Bingham (another GREAT character); and for some light reading "Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era." I'm actually reading this now, but bopping in and out since the chapters are somewhat standalones.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:44 am

I started reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater on the train on Monday and I am SO GLAD that I bought the 2nd book at the same time as the 1st because I am hooked. I was always a bit so-so about Maggie Stiefvater (although I did like The Scorpio Races) because I didn't think much of Shiver and I think she was one of the YA authors who started giving out to bloggers or Goodreads posters or she got mixed up in all that somehow or I associated her with it anyway so I never bothered with these books until I kept seeing things about them pop up on Twitter/Tumblr.

Anyway I'm really enjoying the book and am intrigued by where it's going. I have about 50 pages left of book 1...

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

I also love Lacey Flint. Thank you for reminding me I need to read the third book and then the newest one.

I am currently absolutely LOVING Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. It's urban fantasy which is not usually a genre I read. The main character, Peter Grant, is a new officer in the Metropolitan Police who, following an encounter with a ghost at a crime scene, is recruited by a very small, very secret branch of the Met and becomes England's first apprentice wizard since WWII. Hijinks and weirdness ensue. The first book, Midnight Riot (US title), touches on a fair bit of the history and mythology of London and the Thames Valley, with various gods and goddesses of the Thames and it's tributaries making an appearance. Peter's mother is from Sierra Leone and his father is a white jazz musician/addict who almost but never quite made it big. Both the immigrant community and the jazz community play a role in the various books. The books are a lot of fun.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:40 pm

QueenSix I would stop now and wait until you can read the fourth (and I think final) book which is coming out next spring (according to Goodreads). I loved the first book, but have found the next two to draaaaag quite a bit. To me, it feels like a story that would have been wonderfully told in one book that was stretched out to make a series. However, I read the first book right when it came out and the other two as they've been published, so perhaps they'll be better if you read them all at once. And the first one is, as I said, really good. (I also never read Shiver but L O V E D The Scorpio Races)

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:47 am

I am currently absolutely LOVING Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. It's urban fantasy which is not usually a genre I read.

naughty zoot, is this the Broken Home series? I've been eyeing that one for awhile.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Broken Homes is the 4th in the series. I just finished it and it ties with the first for my favorite in the series so far. Just got a notification that the newest book, Foxglove Summer is waiting for me at the library. There's quite a cliffhanger at the end of Broken Homes so I can hardly wait till tomorrow at 9 AM when I can get my hands on the new one.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:45 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Broken Homes is the 4th in the series. I just finished it and it ties with the first for my favorite in the series so far. Just got a notification that the newest book, Foxglove Summer is waiting for me at the library. There's quite a cliffhanger at the end of Broken Homes so I can hardly wait till tomorrow at 9 AM when I can get my hands on the new one.

Didn't Foxglove Summer come out in January?

(Not that I pay superclose attention to the DAW release schedule or anything...)
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Right. So, newest since the 6th book isn't out till later this year.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:13 pm

I've read all those books twice. Aaronovitch may be my current favourite living author.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:09 am

I'm finishing the first book of that series now, and I'm disappointed that I keep having to interrupt the narrative for this "sleep" thing.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:08 am

That's what coffee is for!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 am

naughty zoot wrote:I am currently absolutely LOVING Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.

This sounds great! I've lost my reading mojo recently, I haven't really been able to get into anything I've started. It sounds like these are the antidote.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Algae wrote:Oh, Rachael. Poor, poor Rachael.  God, I wanted to be her get-a-grip friend.

Tell me about it.
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:30 am

eventide82, did your guess about the bad guy end up being correct?
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Algae, yep. It seemed so obvious!
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 pm

katesti wrote:YES, Big Little Lies is at the top of my list as well. But honestly, they are all really great and delightful and funny and sometimes dark and really compulsively readable. Just make sure you don't have anything important you need to do for the next couple of days.

So far I've read The Husband's Secret, The Last Anniversary and Three Wishes. I really enjoyed them all but found Three Wishes strangely compelling considering that there wasn't really a mystery element to it. The other two had a secret you were working toward (even if you'd already guessed it), but I found myself unable to put Three Wishes down even though it was just kind of a meandering story about 3 women.

I tried to read What Alice Forgot because I was completely intrigued by the title but I couldn't get past the first chapter before it had to go back. I'm going to try again and also need to get Big Little Lies, that one sounds intriguing too.

I also just read The Last Time I Saw You by Eleanor Moran and I loved it. This was a random pick off the shelf choice but totally in my wheelhouse. It's about one of those all-consuming college friendships that flames out spectacularly, they move on to separate lives as adults and then one girl is killed in a car crash and the other one is left trying to figure out who she had become in the years after their friendship.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:57 am

I'm reading The Fall, a retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. It's Gothic so of course there's going to be some melodrama but it's a little too much for me. I find myself rolling my eyes a lot. Maybe I should have waited till Halloween for this one.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  themis on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:33 am

naughty zoot wrote:The first book, Midnight Riot (US title), touches on a fair bit of the history and mythology of London and the Thames Valley, with various gods and goddesses of the Thames and it's tributaries making an appearance. Peter's mother is from Sierra Leone and his father is a white jazz musician/addict who almost but never quite made it big. Both the immigrant community and the jazz community play a role in the various books. The books are a lot of fun.

Midnight Riot was terrific, thank you. I love authors who write a place so completely; you really feel as if you're chasing around London with him. It's why I like the Michael Dibdin and Donna Leon books so much. Has anybody else mentally cast these? I picture Samuel Anderson as Grant, maybe, and Colin Firth as Nightingale.

I just blazed through Robert Jackson Bennett's American Elsewhere, which was a nice surprise. Strong female protagonist, wonderfully surreal. Kind of along the lines of a King, Lovecraft, and Gaiman mashup. About halfway in, I started thinking that it would be a good sci fi miniseries, but one that you would hope that Netflix optioned rather than Syfy, who would goof it up completely.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:50 am

Kobna Holdbrook-Smith does the audio versions, and Aaronovitch worked with him on Casualty.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum