Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muppet Movies

+24
laurelin_kit
naughty zoot
dionneshea
Jessica
Nerg
Instant Monkeys
Siena
punzy
Crackie
ActonBell
Miss Moneypenny
inversed
tothemax
Shalamar
Luthien
rivki8699
Algae
jcpdiesel21
oxymoron
laddical
blixie
Esseilte
queenofdenile
Eris Rising
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Muppet Movies Empty Muppet Movies

Post  Eris Rising Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:50 pm

The Trailer

Seriously, I am looking forward to this more than the Sherlock Holmes sequel and The Avengers combined. The first serious stab at a Muppet movie since Henson's death (I consider Muppets In Space to be discontinuity, and the television movies to be meh).
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Muppet Movies Empty Re: Muppet Movies

Post  queenofdenile Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I am looking more forward to this than, oh, ANY MOVIE EVER, so yeah, I'm annoyed that it's still a whole month away.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I may possibly have sniffled when I saw the trailer and heard "It's time to meet the Muppets..."

Just possibly, is all I'm saying.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Esseilte wrote:I may possibly have sniffled when I saw the trailer and heard "It's time to meet the Muppets..."

Just possibly, is all I'm saying.

I went straight from watching "Just One Person" from the Jim Henson memorial service to watching the trailer, so yeah....

Second trailer! It includes celebrity cameo spoilers, so be warned.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I consider Muppets In Space to be discontinuity

Aw I love Muppets In Space and think it's sorely underrated, but that's because I am Pepe's number one fan and he's got so many great lines in that movie. "It could be filled with chocolate, okay?" "Bologna sandwiches, no bread." Also I liked seeing Gonzo, or someone other than Kermit/Piggy/Fozzy take the central plot.

I am totally looking forward to the new movie, it looks very much in the tradition of Muppets Take Manhattan, although The Great Muppet Caper is probably my favorite between Grodin/Rigg and Piggy's Busby Berkely water musical number. Hah.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:22 pm

I love Pepe!

Also, I think Muppets From Space was largely unfunny, but it's the exception to the rule where the Muppet theatrical movies are concerned. My favorites of the theatricals are actually post-Henson - A Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite take on the story (though I'd love to see Michael Caine as Scrooge in a non-Muppet capacity) and Muppet Treasure Island had some awesome songs and some great bits though it's been forever since I've had the chance to see it (whereas the other movies have all been made available on Netflix streaming at one point or another, MTI never has).

"Mr. Bimbo, I never knew you had such a wonderful singing voice. You're welcome!"

I just plain don't like Wizard of Oz, so there was no way I was going to enjoy even the Muppets take on it, and there various Christmas movies and specials just can't touch Carol or there old Christmas special with John Denver (the album of which is my favoritest Christmas album of all time).
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:32 pm

My family watches The Muppet Christmas Carol every year on Christmas Eve, and "One More Sleep 'Til Christmas" is one of my favorite Christmas songs, so I totally have a soft spot for that movie.

Overall, though, I think The Muppet Movie has the best music but The Muppets Take Manhattan is the funniest. Janice cracks me up. "So I told him, 'Look, buddy, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is artistic.'" And it also had Bill, Gil, and Jill. And the doctor who determined Kermit's amnesia by twisting his arm. Heeee. Caper never caught on in my house as much - I like it, but it wasn't a fave of my brother's, and therefore didn't get viewed much after dinner.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm

A Muppet Christmas Carol and The Muppets Take Manhattan are fantastic. I could have dealt with Muppets In Space as being equivalent to Muppet Treasure Island as one of the lesser but still worthwhile entries in the franchise, but I hated the reveal of Gonzo's origin. It was a bit like the Doctor Who TV movie in which he revealed that he was half-human...I just ignored it and moved on.

Last edited by Eris Rising on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:11 am

I liked Muppets treasure Island for one scene. They're getting ready for dinner and gonzo has been kidnapped, and someone says to Kermit:

So do we save him before dinner or after?

I have had that "Dear Lord, I have to go fish my friend out of trouble" look on my face so many times, I couldn't help but laugh.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that I've seen Muppet movies as a child, but don't remember them very well. Perhaps I need to remedy that sometime soon. I do remember loving the show, though. I am looking forward to the new movie, mostly due to Jason Segel's obvious nerdy excitement about being involved in the project. As long as the reviews are fairly positive, my husband and I will see it on Thanksgiving Day.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:33 pm

jcpdiesel21 wrote:I'm pretty sure that I've seen Muppet movies as a child, but don't remember them very well. Perhaps I need to remedy that sometime soon.

Soon meaning NOW?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

It's funny, but I'm having trouble getting Plankton to like the Muppets. I love them, but he's pretty meh about all puppet characters, though. I have gotten him to love Animal (thanks to Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody), so he's warming up to them. I will be taking him to see this movie. He has no choice in the matter.

The John Cleese appearance where he unwillingly sings Impossible Dream is on constant play on my Zune. I love that clip.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 am

Great Muppet Caper was always my favorite - between the big musical number and playing baseball with the baseball diamond. And Ms. Piggy doing everything she does. I love her so much.

My Christmas muppet movie has always been A Muppet Family Christmas.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 pm

As a Hensonphile from way back, I am ridiculously excited for The Muppets. Please, please, be good!

I hated the reveal of Gonzo's origin.

Is that actually supposed to be canon, though? I don't think the Muppet movies are canon, as much as the Muppets have any sort of canon anyway. They are always aware they're shooting a movie, at least in The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, and the Christmas Carol and Treasure Island movies. The Muppets Take Manhattan is a little murkier, but Piggy and Kermit are never referred to as married event though she finally tricked him into it at the end of TMTM. So I think it's safe to disregard MFS. I am not a huge fan of the movie, but it's worth it for the "Brick House" opening sequence, and anything Pepe says. To this day, my siblings and I will call the remote, "the goat".

I would give a lot for "Muppet Babies" on DVD. That's practically the first cartoon I can remember, and I adored that show. Sadly, it's probably permanently in DVD limbo due to copyright issues. There's quite a bit up on YouTube, though. I was able to find some episodes I remembered, like the one where Piggy and Skeeter fight over playing Snow White.

The direct-to-TV movies lately haven't been very strong, but they've been all right. I really didn't like Letters to Santa; it didn't feel like it had a plot. I did like the Muppet Wizard of Oz following the original book, not the 1939 movie. Silver shoes, four witches, the hat that controls the flying monkeys, each character seeing something different when they met the Wizard (and the joke about Frank Oz, of course). It's terribly marred by having Ashanti play Dorothy--she can't act! Queen Latifah and David Alan Grier were good as Aunt Em and Uncle Henry.

What I love the most about a new Muppet movie coming out is the fresh start the new generation will have to love the Muppets. I look after collection development at the library where I work, and I have bought so many Muppet DVDs, and Fraggle Rock, and old-school Sesame Street, just to get the word out there.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Final parody trailer. Including Pepe!
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Kermit's strangled "Nooooooo" as he facepalms at the end killed me.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Any love for the older movies from the 70s? I remember "The Muppet Frog Prince" and "The Muppet Musicians of Bremen" being appointment TV when I was little (no VCRs or PVRs in those days).

"My name is T.R., and right now, that stands for Terrified Rooster!"
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:18 pm

I own "The Frog Prince" and "Hey Cinderella" on VHS, both of which are great and I wish they were available on DVD. I always loved the way the princess talked backwards in the Frog Prince: "We need to bake the hall in the candle of her brain!" And the king in "Hey Cinderella" was very funny: (to his son the Prince): "We're having a ball, and the door prize will be you!"

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am

Hee.

Princess: Oh, I want to quee the Been!
King: Sure, honey - when you're older, you can quee all the Beens you want. *to himself: "Whatever that means."*
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:18 pm

The Brooklyn Academy of Music is doing a series on puppets in film that prominently features the Muppets. Scanning the schedule, I realized I'd never seen The Dark Crystal, so I hopped on over to Netflix to see if it was available for streaming and, shock of shocks, it was! I hesitantly checked to see if the TV show was available... and it was! And then, AND THEN, I was so overcome with joy I quickly searched for the Muppet movies only to find out none of them are available for streaming. Boo hiss.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 am

I grew up loving the Muppet movies, but it's been so long since I've seen any of them that I think it might be time for a rewatch. The exception is Muppet Christmas Carol, which I own and watch every year. It is my dream to do a flashmob (those are still a thing, right?) to "It Feels Like Christmas."

I ADORED Muppet Babies growing up! Sometimes I still get the lyrics stuck in my head to the song everyone sings to Rowlf when he loses his voice. "We want the real you! Look, he's trying to!"

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 pm

The best "The Muppets" press junket interview you'll see.

It's awesome that they were willing to do that for the kid. And he handled it really well.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:19 pm

laddical wrote:The best "The Muppets" press junket interview you'll see.

It's awesome that they were willing to do that for the kid. And he handled it really well.

"Master Chang's Dojo and Charm School"--well, I know what game the ha'penny and I will be playing this afternoon!

And yes, that was unbelievably sweet.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:20 pm

That interview was so adorable and sweet I nearly cried! That kid asked better questions than any adult interviewer ever asks the Muppets. I find those junket questions are always generic anyway, and even more so with the Muppets--so many people don't seem to understand how to talk to the Muppets. Maybe they're distracted by the puppeteers down on the floor. But that kid asked questions that were actually pertinent to their characters. And the puppeteers handled it very well. I think they're at their best when talking to kids. It reminded me of those old segments they'd do on Sesame Street where Grover or Kermit would ask kids questions. I don't know if they still do that, but you can see sequences like that in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" which I own on DVD and have to watch every Christmas.

It is my dream to do a flashmob (those are still a thing, right?) to "It Feels Like Christmas."

This is the best idea I think I may ever have heard. I've never wanted to be in a flashmob, but I would join one like this in a minute. I would even turn up in costume; there's a plaid dress worn by one of the human dancers in that scene that I've envied since I was a kid.

My sister and I are going to have a Muppet marathon day next week. We're taking a vacation day to watch as many of the Muppet movies as we can, then we're going to the new one in the evening.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 pm

I know this will change as more reviews come in, but for right now this makes me smile: 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next