Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

50 Shades of Grey

+13
year of the cat
Grainne Mhaol
Agent Sculder
The Glen
Carrie Ann
Gillian
Morning Angel
punkysdilemma
mayram
puddingcup
blixie
Coneycat
Raksha
17 posters

Go down

50 Shades of Grey Empty 50 Shades of Grey

Post  Raksha Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:44 am

Dammit, I did not want to be the one to start this topic. However, I need somewhere to talk about how in the hell someone "accidentally" hands out a 50 Shades word-find puzzle to a bunch of middle schoolers. How is that even possible? Because the impression I'm getting is that it was an actual adult who did this, not something that another student brought in that got passed around.

You still couldn't pay me enough to actually see this movie, but I'd love a link to any scathing reviews anyone comes across.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

50 Shades of Grey Empty Re: 50 Shades of Grey

Post  Coneycat Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:22 am

It's running at 44% on the Tomatometer at the moment, but there are a few gems in there among the bad reviews.

One nearly-universal sentiment, though, is praise of Dakota Johnson's performance. Her Ana is apparently a lot more endearing and interesting than the character in the book!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Yeah all I wanted to was for Dakota to make it out of this unscathed, sounds like she is definitely the stand out of all involved.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:14 pm

One nearly-universal sentiment, though, is praise of Dakota Johnson's performance.

Oh good. I don't have strong opinions on the 50 Shades books/film, but I have a lot of affection for Dakota from watching Ben and Kate, and the entertainment media was slamming her so hard, I thought. At least Jamie Dornan is respected for his work on other projects, but Dakota was was being treated as "boring daughter of Melanie and Don".

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:32 pm

I haven't sought out any info on this, but it seems to me that the reviews are not that terrible. I wish I had saved the one I saw on Yahoo the other day because it was truly hilarious. I'm nearly positive it came from a diehard Twilight/50 Shades fan with aspirations of writing her own ripoff because it was SOOOO long and so flowery.

I've never seen either Dakota Johnson or Jamie Dornan in anything else so I have no feelings about them, but someone posted a video of Jamie Dornan on the Graham Norton show talking about his goofy walk* and I kind of love him now.

It's here and this clip starts with him talking about 50 Shades and it's box office potential. He could not be any LESS enthusiastic about this movie, heh. He's completely charming and adorable in the rest of the rest of the interview, but when 50 Shades comes up, he's curiously flat.

I can't stop rewinding his "I'm not great...walking..." in that adorable accent.

*As a person with a somewhat unusual walk that I can't seem to modify no matter how much I would like to, I feel him in this story.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm

punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:38 pm

mayram wrote:I've never seen either Dakota Johnson or Jamie Dornan in anything else so I have no feelings about them, but someone posted a video of Jamie Dornan on the Graham Norton show talking about his goofy walk* and I kind of love him now.

It's here and this clip starts with him talking about 50 Shades and it's box office potential. He could not be any LESS enthusiastic about this movie, heh. He's completely charming and adorable in the rest of the rest of the interview, but when 50 Shades comes up, he's curiously flat.  

I can't stop rewinding his "I'm not great...walking..." in that adorable accent.

*As a person with a somewhat unusual walk that I can't seem to modify no matter how much I would like to, I feel him in this story.

I had never seen him in anything (The Fall is still on my list of things to watch on Netflix), but that appearance on Graham Norton a few months ago totally won me over too. It was goofy in a low-key way, especially next to generally hyper Aaron Paul!
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:55 pm

LOL "Jamie Dornan, who is a very good actor for someone whose eyeballs are 100 percent pupil". I love him. He scared the shit out of me in The Fall, but I love him. And Ben and Kate was a great show that Dakota Johnson was adorable in. I want everybody to hate this movie (won't happen), but I want the two of them to come out of this with careers intact (will hopefully happen).

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:08 pm

What is the DEAL with his pupils anyway? Or is it his irises? Something about the stuff in his eyeballs is too large and it is kinda freaky.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:52 pm

I nearly died at this part of Slate's review:
Ultimately, though, what’s smuttiest about the movie is the way Christian’s “dominance” involves fewer direct orders than emo pandering. He may be a slave master, but his commands often suggest he’s been secretly reading Our Bodies, Ourselves. “You have a beautiful body,” he barks. “I want you unashamed of your nakedness. Do you understand?”

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:26 am

I have to say. my favorite review so far is this one from the New York Times. I love that A.O. Scott praises Dakota Johnson's performance, yet still flat out calls it a terrible movie.

Also, his review seems to indicate that he ALSO read the book, which I find kind of hilarious. Poor man!

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:05 am

The Glen wrote:I nearly died at this part of Slate's review:
Ultimately, though, what’s smuttiest about the movie is the way Christian’s “dominance” involves fewer direct orders than emo pandering. He may be a slave master, but his commands often suggest he’s been secretly reading Our Bodies, Ourselves. “You have a beautiful body,” he barks. “I want you unashamed of your nakedness. Do you understand?”

That review is gold. It seems that the film tries to make the relationship stink less of outright abuse like the book (unintentionally) does. However, from other reviews, it's clear that Ana still doesn't enjoy any of it, which makes the story every bit as unpleasant.

This quote is cruel but accurate, having seen some clips:

Dornan has one of those faces that makes you think you might have face blindness. Every time he appears in a scene, there’s a split second of wondering if it’s him or someone else.

Dornan was creepily charismatic in The Fall, but here he just comes across as a mildly amused tax attorney trying to stave off a midlife crisis.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:51 am

I feel so sorry for these poor actors. At least the Twillight people had gobs of money coming at them (heh). The clips look like the cast took Nyquil shots between takes...
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:40 am

I think this us the showgirls of the future ....I oove Jamie in the fall and in OUAT

ETA is he short sighted - I am ( very) and the more you are the larger your pupils are....
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:41 am

So I finally brought this thing home from the library over the weekend. I made it to about the 35 minute mark and just couldn't take anymore.

Poor Jamie Dornan looks as though he wishes he were any place else, while Dakota Johnson, bless her heart, tries her best but can't overcome the stupidity of the whole enterprise. I watched it by myself and was still horribly embarrassed by how awful it was, and all I could think was 1.) Thank god I didn't watch it in a movie theater filled with people and 2.) Even more thank god I didn't pay for it.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue May 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Confession: I finally saw this and...didn't hate it? (And I say that has someone so adamantly against the books that I vetoed it when it was suggested as a pick at my book club!)

Dakota was fine. I loved Jamie in The Fall, though I did miss his accent and (surprisingly for me) his beard. I thought he was good in this.

I go past that hardware store regularly. It will now always be the 50 shades supply store.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri May 20, 2016 1:17 pm

It definitely wasn't as bad as I wanted it to be lol. I was hoping for something much more mockable.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down