Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Chef (plus Masters, Just Desserts)

+22
choubetcha
Jasmine
bosoxgirl
blixie
MaddyCat
BreezyK
Raised by wolves
RiverThames
Matinee
killershrew
caltrask55
Maestro
Jessica
TiffanyNichelle
lucylane
paablish
biakbiak
Salieri
punkysdilemma
whatthedeuce
oxymoron
maxell131313
26 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Top Chef (plus Masters, Just Desserts) - Page 5 Empty Re: Top Chef (plus Masters, Just Desserts)

Post  Jasmine Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 pm

See, I loathe Chris Cosentino. His restaurant is good, and he makes good food, but he is such an asshole on TV and in person (so so many people I know have had terrible interactions with him and/or been screwed over by him) that I'm actively rooting for him to fail.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Top Chef (plus Masters, Just Desserts) - Page 5 Empty Re: Top Chef (plus Masters, Just Desserts)

Post  bosoxgirl Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:29 pm

See, I loathe Chris Cosentino. His restaurant is good, and he makes good food, but he is such an asshole on TV and in person (so so many people I know have had terrible interactions with him and/or been screwed over by him) that I'm actively rooting for him to fail..

Anything you can share? He doesn't bother me on tv (especially when he's pissy to Art) but if he's an asshole to real people then that's totally different.

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:23 am

Jasmine wrote:See, I loathe Chris Cosentino. His restaurant is good, and he makes good food, but he is such an asshole on TV and in person (so so many people I know have had terrible interactions with him and/or been screwed over by him) that I'm actively rooting for him to fail.

Interesting, I have only met him a few times but he was super friendly and my friend usedto work for him at Incanto and has nothing but praise.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:52 pm

It never fails to amaze me how much Rick Moonen reminds me of my high school history teacher. He looks and sounds so much like the guy!

Thierry is just the cutest thing ever. I can't imagine that guy getting upset. He always seems so upbeat and congenial! Takashi is probably the one I'm rooting for most, but I like pretty much everyone besides Chris. He just gets on my nerves.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:55 am

I really hope Chris wins this he was such a freaking delight with the kids and they actually seemed to learn things not just be able to execute orders.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Yeah, I was bummed Kerry won this one. I guess his kids put out a good plate, but Chris really took the time to try to teach his kids about flavor and WHY they were doing what they were doing instead of just instructing them what to do.

Kerry seemed to pick up a lot of steam in the second half of the season, so I hope Chris can hold him off another week.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:35 am

Phrase I never thought I'd hear on a food show: Spooging. I love Chris, and maybe for that alone he should win, but I kinda feel like I fall on the side of tastes good trumps intellectually challenging food, but maybe Lam's oyster rave and the dry ribs make the case.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 am

I think the problem with the finale judging on all of these shows is that they try to make the judging seem close so they edit the comments so much that you can't actually get a feel of the overall meals. I am so glad Chris won, he exhibited throughout the season how to be an amazing Chef: a teacher, an innovator, a problem solver, a team player, and a leader. Plus, I adore his food!

Ironically, all of the editing they do is completely undone by the promo monkeys because I knew Chris was going to win from the preview last week when they kept showing Chris in the weeds.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 am

Yeeeeah...I figured there was no way Chris lost, and in a Chef competition I can see the argument that you go with creativity over familiar/comforting (since for real, like both chefs dishes weren't delicious?) I am just not an offal person, I mean I keep meaning to try it, when I'm out at a place that knows how to cook offal well, and my Granny made great Liver and Onions, but Kerry's dishes appealed to me more. The Pea-prosciutto flan? NOM. Of course I also felt the same about Chris' pancetta-fied sea urchin/scallop. Ahhh bacon.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 pm

Yeeeeah...I figured there was no way Chris lost,

I just meant that it annoys me about listening to the judging panel on these shows. Heck often they will say one thing when eating the meal and another thing at the finale judging panel.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh I know what you meant, and that is what threw me, since the one dude said Chris' blood sausage plate was a total failure or something, so I share your editing of the judging table complaint.

I understand that they want to build the drama and what not and keep people guessing, but at the same time I want to understand *how* and *why* they came to their decision about the food. But in working overtime to make it seem like Chris lost, they pretty much signaled that there was no way he lost, so they didn't fake me out so much as leave me confused as to how he won (leaving aside that I do think he was the best over the course of the competition).

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:20 pm

I had no idea a new season was starting last night until I saw it mentioned on Twitter. Anyone catch it? I really like these mini-challenges to narrow down the contestants. There are way too many people for me to remember other than the lady from Emerill's challenge who just bugged the crap out of me. I'm annoyed he let her through.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:39 pm

I thought they handled a "semi-final" to the show well here, certainly better than the Texas season. I also liked the different challenges the judges had their little packs of chefs do. They all made sense... I could see the logic behind them.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:09 am

I definitely enjoyed each judge running a bunch of cheftestants through one specific challenge. That one lady that Hugh kicked out was so pathetic! Did she really tell him twice that she was gonna cry because he was critiquing her food? Lady, you're trying out for Top Chef. If you can't handle one critique, you have no business being on the show. On a very shallow note, I think that half-German/half-Chinese guy, Jeff (?), is really pleasant to look at. So is the Asian chef who was a model for years. She is GORGEOUS!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

I was surprised the guy who did the French Onion Soup (Josh?) didn't get sent home, since they all complained about how salty it was, and that's frequently a kiss of death on this show.

I mean, it was clear that Carla(? It's still too early for me to have all their names straight) was going home for the squab, but I was surprised that the woman who did the salad was also sent home.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 pm

My only guess was that because the salad was such an iconic part of the restaurant, if it wasn't made absolutely perfectly, she'd get axed. Personally, I think it was so unfair because if you've got something on your menu that hasn't changed in 60 years and absolutely everyone in the area that has eaten there knows what it tastes like but you never have and have no clue what they're expecting, you're already flying blind. IMO that salad should have been off limits.

I figured CJ was going to be the one axed since they made such a big deal over his sous vide lamb being mealy and underseasoned. And as for Carla, I can't say I'm all that upset over her being sent home (or to Last Chance Chef) as her decibel-shattering voice would have been grounds for a future homicide. While Josh could have done something about the salty soup, I think he was saved due to Douchebag John's poor expediting of dishes and leaving the soup sitting around until it got cold.

Between John and Stefan I'm not sure which of them I loathe more.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Aw, I unabashedly ADORE Stefan. Love his one-liners, love his little crush on Kristen (?) and how thrilled he was when she won. And he actually stayed out of the back-biting with John and CJ, which was impressive. I rolled my eyes when he came back, but thus far he's making the show for me and CJ is the one who is actually annoying me. Never thought I'd say that.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:10 am

Hugh as a judge increases my enjoyment of this show by 1000.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:34 pm

I know product placement happens these days but I have to give the side-eye to the fake sugar challenge. That stuff is NOT FOOD. I guess some people like using it or use it for medical reasons, but I side with Cooks Illustrated on this one, fake sugar *tastes weird* and things that taste weird are not OK for chef substitution. (Given how little attention it seemed to get as people were cooking, I wonder if there was some grumbling from the chefs themselves they had to edit out.)

We visited the Chihuly Garden in Seattle in August -- it's a very pretty site.

Now I want some fish chowder.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 am

I am fairly certain this is the most upset I have ever been at a TC elimination. At least Kristen won LCK, but the fact that she was axed before Josie is mind boggling.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 am

I couldn't believe it either! I was waiting for some last-minute twist to save her. She was probably too ambitious for Restaurant Wars, but Josie has been consistently on the bottom. I really thought Kristen was the front-runner to win the whole damn thing too.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

It was nice to read Tom's blog and see that if he knew what we knew, they'd have sent Josie home. Kristen certainly contributed to the loss, but having Josie on the team was worse than having one less person. Tom commended her in the blog for taking responsibility, saying it showed character. I sort of agree. I hate when people like season 2's Sam start saying, "I don't want to be that guy, but..." and then force the judges to get the negative information out of him so they can claim they did it reluctantly. But I don't think it shows bad character to explain the facts. I'm upset that Lizzie and Brooke didn't speak up to defend Kristen. The whole point of chef's table is to explain what happened.

That said, I'm not too upset. Last seasons's finale with the olympic-themed obstacle course stupidity has forever kept me from getting too worked up over this show.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Oh man I'm SO glad I didn't watch it last night. Kristen was clearly the front runner. Bullshit. And while it does show character to not bus toss, explaining the situation isn't bus throwing. Having said that if Kristen wouldn't speak up for herself, if I was her teammate/competitor I wouldn't have helped her either.

I'm starting to think Josie has something on Magical Elves, I mean for why was she ever brought back?

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm

I can't believe they didn't think they knew enough -- Josie's attitude was TERRIBLE at judges' panel, and even though I know that's just a slice of it, the slice we saw was SO overt. It seemed obvious that Kristen was trying to take the high road. But someone needs to tell her that the high road doesn't matter in reality TV. Plus, she was RIGHT and Josie was such a jerk.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say they wanted to send a strong chef over to Last Chance Kitchen to stop CJ's winning streak, which I actually thought was awesome but might not be good for the pageviews.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum