Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football

+41
killershrew
particle_person
Shadowlass
tothemax
naughty zoot
Poubelle
mialoubug
oxymoron
Arabella
NewYorkStranger
Herinice
Raised by wolves
Matinee
Miss Moneypenny
sunni94
mrinsouciance
Never Enough
bookworm
Kookla
laddical
nazlan
TiffanyNichelle
Binky
puddingcup
big chicken
RiverThames
blooey
maxell131313
PrincessCleo
boutros boutros kitty
Lady V
year of the cat
jstilwe
dinahmoe
biakbiak
Algae
Jasmine
truecrystal
The Dude
jcpdiesel21
blixie
45 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Football      - Page 11 Empty Re: Football

Post  Raised by wolves Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

I admit to being totally fascinated by this story and I don't know why.
So does Manti Teo have Munchausen by Internet/Proxy?
I don't think so because I don't think he did it for emotional reasons but rather financial reasons and publicity. It was to drum up publicity for the Heisman trophy (which damn near worked, as he lost the Heisman by one vote) got too huge for him, and blew up in his face. And Notre Dame is defending him because they don't want to look foolish and also the good publicity for Te'o worked in their favor and they have to protect the brand.

I don't think for one minute this is a Catfish. He was totally in on it and the biggest proof I have is one word: Skype. Why hasn't the media addressed it? Te'o's statement said that he only ever talked to her by phone or tweets or email is such a rash of shit. Are you telling me that a 20-something guy who is at school in Indiana doesn't Skype his family is in Hawai'i? Plus, in articles he talks about how he met her at a USC game but now his story is that every time says he "met" her he meant he met her online. So this is what they're trying to get me to believe and I'm supposed to think he's the gullible one?

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm

And Notre Dame is defending him because they don't want to look foolish
Too late.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm still convinced that it's a closeting situation, and the guy who helped set it up (the one who had access to the woman's photos) is his boyfriend. Because isn't there a timing issue, that the whole charade was set up long before he was a star player, and long before Heisman contention? And when he realized that the fake girlfriend was helping his football career, they ramped it up.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 pm

drum up publicity for the Heisman trophy (which damn near worked,

He was a contender for it before it happened and his performance on the field also made him worthy. And it clearly wasn't necessary for the publicity because he already had a tear jerking story to sell Heisman voters, two of his grandparents who he was very close two died in 2012, one dying the same or near the same day that his fake girlfriend died (depending on the interview), and one of his amazing games, that lead me to think that their is definitely more going on than Heisman voting.

biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25 pm

dinahmoe wrote:.
And Notre Dame is defending him because they don't want to look foolish
Too late.

On this alone there's plenty of schaddenfruede at ND's expense, me included.

More seriously there a freshman who claimed she was raped by a player and may have been stonewalled by campus police. She killed herself soon afterwards.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  boutros boutros kitty Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm

This whole story reminds me of Britney Spears, from around the time she shaved her head. Fascinating In a train-wreck way.

boutros boutros kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:40 pm

I don't think so because I don't think he did it for emotional reasons but rather financial reasons and publicity.

I was mostly kidding but unless he's admitted that was what was going on I don't presume to *know* what motivated him. I think it was entirely his and his friends creation, and while I wouldn't discount how it might have affected his pursuit of the Heisman, I think his being a really good fucking football player on really good football team probably carried him further than his sob story about his fake dead girlfriend.

Part of me thinks you don't lie that much for that long unless part of you is getting off on all the attention.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 am

I never presumed his motivations either. As for the assertion that he's a really good fucking football player he is and you're right. But that's the thing, he's just a really good football player. No NCAA records. No Notre Dame records. No first team honors until his senior year. In fact, the only record he's leaving college with is the most decorated football player. He won a shit ton of awards and they're not given out by statistics - they're given out by voting. And voting is a name game that relies on publicity.
Because isn't there a timing issue, that the whole charade was set up long before he was a star player, and long before Heisman contention?
He's been a star and collecting awards since he was in prep school so I wouldn't be surprised if he got sort of addicted to the adulation. The Heisman isn't the only award out there, it's just the one that brings in an estimated $250 million dollars to the player's university, the assurance of the player getting the highest NFL rookie contract possible, and the advertising contracts that player can bank on. No college accolades assure NFL success - plenty of college heroes flame out and plenty of guys that got no attention in college get to Canton. But as Tebow has shown us, college accolades and success make bank even if you're an NFL bust.

My main fascination with the story isn't even about Te'o, it's with the media itself. They didn't do basic fact checking at SI, ESPN or any other outlet that printed his interviews that now raise "red flags" with them. I read a bunch of online articles, watched PTI and Around the Horn for their takes on it and still feel like no one is asking the obvious questions. No Skype? The woman in the Twitter pic claims to have only sent one pic to Tuiasasopo, but in the age of social media shouldn't Te'o's phone be full of pics of his girlfriend even if he never met her in person? He claims to have made 8 hour phone calls to the hospital so who was the female voice on the other end of the line? I don't expect them to have the answers to these questions but in all I've read and watched I haven't heard *any* of those questions even asked, let alone promises for answers.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 am

Really not looking forward to the Harbowl hype. Then again, it would've been hard to get excited about the Pats in a Super Bowl again, or Atlanta making it there, so...I hope Beyonce's new song is awesome?

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am

Ray lewis can't leave the game soon enough. I'm so sick of him and his surrogates casting himself as the victim in the Atlanta murder case when he got out with out a minute in prison or missing a game.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 pm

And Dr Phil got involved...Facepalm.

It is kind of a shame that his draft stock will take a hit because of being a liar and some gay rumors, because the sports world needs to get over the latter and the former ain't near as bad as what guys like Lawrence Phillips did and had overlooked on their draft day.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Someone has got to write a really filthy fanfic inspired by this photo.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am

At some point one has to wonder if Belichick should have coughed up that extra $1 million a year just to keep Welker out of Denver.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm

The Steelers!!! ARGGH!

Good Lord,the offense is awful. It's like I'm back in the early 90's.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah. But they're playing another 0-3 team this week (in London) so fuck it -- somebody has to win the game.

I hate, hate, hate, Todd Haley. He's trying to force a system on Roethlisberger that does not fit his style. The guy may be a rapist jerk, but he got the team to three Superbowls and they won two of them. WTF makes a new OC think, "Gosh, that's a problem I must fix."

The one thing I have to give the Steelers credit for that the TV talking heads constantly harp on incorrectly is their O line. Yes, it's still terrible but in the last four years, they drafted Pouncey, DeCastro, Mike Adams (who was a 1st rounder they got in the 2nd) and I think Marcus Gilbert. So it's not like they're ignoring the problem. Injuries and Adams not turning out to be very good have hurt their efforts. But all I hear is how the O line is dreck without giving them credit for actively trying to improve.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 am

Re: Haley

So my team is scoring a whole lot.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 am

Yes Dude, they are.  They needed all of them this week but they beat the Cowboys so I loved it but I would have loved it more if they covered. Since the Giants are 0-5 and the Steelers were only saved the same fate by the bye week, BF and I have made the season interesting by picking games using the spread.

It is so much harder than straight up picks.  He won week 1 by a game (7-9) we tied at 8-8 week 2 and this week I beat him by a handy 2 games (since we both picked the Raiders game and MNF the same I got a guaranteed win, baby!)  We're having so much fun with it.  We call Juanito on the bananaphone like Papi and the loser has to endure Sacko taunting thanks to The League.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:22 am

Have to love that Broncos-Jags is the biggest match up of the week just for the train wreck factor.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 am

The spread is currently 28 points, which is a record. I will be taking the Broncos.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Take the over on the Broncos the rest of the year and I think you will come out ahead.

Some Haley bashing for you:

[quote="When Williamson and Jefferson refused to extend the lease, the suit claims, the Haleys stripped the home of "all manner of built-in fixtures, appliances and other improvements," taking those items, and causing all sorts of damage as a result."

Plants, trees, shrubs, and other landscaping

• Toilets

• Bathtubs

• Water heaters

• Kitchen cooktop

• Kitchen countertop

• Dishwashers

• Built-in microwave ovens

• Built-in outdoor gas grill

• Light fixtures and other electrical fixtures

• Cabinetry and hardware

• Faucets and other plumbing fixtures

• Stereo speakers and equipment

• Dozens of miscellaneous appliances and other items[/quote]
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:38 am

That's just unbelievable and yet with Haley, I believe it.

It's incredibly sad what happened with Adrian Peterson's son. That guy is not going to last in jail and for that I say good.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:49 am

This Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin story is just so...ugh, on so many levels. That any of it happened, how the Dolphins handled it before they were cornered, the ex-players chiming in all, "We-ell, it's really no big deal for rookies to have to spend thirty grand on veteran players, that's just a football rite of passage," the "Martin should have just settled it like a MAN!" response...what is wrong with people?

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Arabella wrote:what is wrong with people?
I'm going to hang on to the idea that the small population of NFL players does not equal people in general, or else tears will follow.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 pm

The most apologetic person in that article is Ricky Williams and he is cray cray. I didn't see anyone defend having to spend $30k on other players just Ricky saying that it was typical for high draft picks (who are making bank in signing bonuses alone) to take the fellow position players out to dinner and then the sentence about incognito demanding Martin pay 15k for a trip he wasn't even on, it didn't even appear Ricky was defending that.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum