Boardwalk Empire

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Boardwalk Empire Empty Boardwalk Empire

Post  salamandersam on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:55 pm

I've been watching this show since the first season, even though I found the first few episodes really slow. I am seriously enjoying this season however and look forward to Sunday nights.

I'm particularly enjoying Margaret's arc and how she is HBIC now. She saved Nucky's ass good and I'm intrigued with her past and look forward to them exploring that more.

I love Richard and find he makes Angela bearable. I find his story heart breaking and want him to get some happiness dammit!

The Commodore is vile and Gillian slapping the shit out of him was well deserved but so uncomfortable to watch.

I love that troll Owen Sleater and want him and Margaret to hook up because I think he gets under skin too much for something not to be going on with them. From the previews for tonight's episode Owen and Katie hook up and I hope Margaret walks in on them and gets all mad and then, once Owen has bathed, that she bangs him. I'm a little torn about this, though, because I think Margaret and Nucky can be a major power couple and I don't want her to hurt Nucky but I really ship her with Owen as well.

I'm wondering if filing federal charges for Nucky violating the Mann act is really going to help him or if it's just setting Nucky up.

Apparently I have a lot of thoughts about this show.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Boardwalk Empire Empty Re: Boardwalk Empire

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 am

My only thought right now is HOLY. SHIT. That was intense.

Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzagirl20 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Just when I thought there hadn't been enough violence this season, and bam, last night's episode took care of that for me.

Richard Harrow is one of the most complex characters on that show, and that's saying a lot considering how complex other characters are. But oh god, his "would you fight for me" was so sad.
pizzagirl20
pizzagirl20

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 pm

You know, I'm a cynical bastard, but I'm wondering if there's going to be a time where Jimmy screws Richard over. There's something about Jimmy at times that makes me wonder if he realizes the weight of certain things.

And I love Richard. I'd adopt him and let him live with us, babysit the kid and murder all my enemies.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:46 am

I honestly thought Richard was going to blow his head off and was screaming "NOOOO!". I should've known that the show's producers wouldn't kill off one of its most interesting characters.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm a cynical bastard, but I'm wondering if there's going to be a time where Jimmy screws Richard over.

I think you are meant to wonder to what degree Jimmy's response was partly manipulation. At one level I believe Jimmy was utterly sincere, and his love/friendship with Richard totally broke me. BUT at the same time I think it was sincere within the parameters of their relationship/situation, heavy in the air is what Jimmy is capable of if he's disrespected or betrayed (hence the scalping and even his challenging of Nucky in the first place). And with the scepter of his connection with Angela, and all the guns we saw that didn't go off in this episode? Yep I'd say I'm bracing for that relationship to possible fall apart/implode.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:42 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking (but you phrased it much better). I just feel like Richard meant it with ever fiber of his being, but with Jimmy I get the sense of a "but..." lingering in the air.

Admittedly I wonder if we're also getting set up with a Richard/Angela thing with the drawing and the removal of his mask. That to me seemed pretty intimate for Richard, given how it's like a shield for him.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 pm

So this last ep I was like, VINCENT VAN GOGH IS MARGARET'S BROTHER. And he's...mean.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 pm

THAT'S WHO HE WAS! I spent the whole episode (actually since they showed the picture) trying to figure it out and then I couldn't find a guest star list. Thank you so much!

Margaret's story was so sad this week. She's such a sad character to me in general (one of the reasons why I loved when she interacted with Richard) but this week especially.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 am

I felt bad for her -- Margaret's missing her home and she's cut off from her family (for reasons good or ill -- I sometimes think that we don't have a clear picture of her) -- so I wasn't surprised when she fell into bed with Owen, even though I thought it was a bad idea.

Hell, that speech Owen gave her seemed particularly targeted for her vulnerable mental state.

And I thought Richard's reaction to Eli -- "Would you kill your own brother?" was interesting.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am

I'm not sure what this says about me, but I found Margaret's first love scene with Nucky to be a helluva lot hotter than the one with Owen. Owen seems kinda slimy to me. (Not that Nucky isn't slimy, but he's up-front about his sliminess. Kinda. Does that make any sense?)
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:40 pm

No, I agree with you. But I think it's a contrast between when Margaret got Nucky's attention to now, where she's being taken for granted and not considered mysterious. Admittedly the tension between Margaret and Nucky in Season 1 I liked more because it was a play on the mind and intellect, not just a physical thing. Both of them wanted something from each other -- Nucky saw her as a stable family and she saw him as kindness and a better life. Maybe she also thought that all the sex would be more interesting than well, what she's been getting lately.

The Owen/Margaret hookup for me was more of a sign of all the bullshit she's been dealing with -- Nucky taking her for granted, her family basically disowning her, her staff acting shady (whether or not it's justified) and her son acting up -- add to that the feeling like she's still an outsider and no wonder she went after Owen.

I'm admittedly not a fan of it, but then again, when I saw Owen I was like "DO NOT TRUST HIM." Maybe it's that I watched too much of The Sopranos, but he had the earmarks of the dangerous outsider who's cannon fodder at the end of the season.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzagirl20 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 am

Oh. My. God.

This episode. I just.

So much happened. I lost count of how many times my jaw literally dropped.

Poor Jimmy. He never had a chance.

And Margaret ... I just want to smack some sense into her.

On a shallow note, I need more Owen scenes.

Richard Harrow is still one of the best characters on TV. He says so little, but conveys so much.
pizzagirl20
pizzagirl20

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am

I still like the show, but I feel like taking a loooong shower after watching that episode. It made me feel so dirty.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 am

My mind is still reeling from that episode. Holy hell does HBO know how to do a penultimate episode.

But I will say Mickey Doyle is making me laugh. "I don't like the way you loom."
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 pm

That was a powerful finale. Jimmy's final speech, "I died years ago in some trench" just gutted me. Michael Pitt gave a great performance over these past few episodes, and I hope he gets some award recognition. I'm going to miss him on the show (and I hope this doesn't mean the end of Richard being on the show) but I do want to see how this plays out next year.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 am

Yes, it was an excellent finale for a really good season. Jimmy's arc was amazing. The ending was well earned.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am

I'm in the same place as Alan Sepinwall, it was a great ending, and an earned ending, but also one I'm not sure I'll be happy with moving forward, since I really did love Pitt as Jimmy, and was the most invested in his relationships with Nucky, Richard, and Gillian.

Also from what I understand Michael Pitt is still basically a fucked up hot mess and they actually decided to kill him off because he was such a pain in the ass to work with on set (and according to Nikki Finke he was then cut loose/fired from his agency). Like I heard they hated him SO much that they shot a version of the death scene with someone dragging Jimmy/Pitt's face through the mud. And then they didn't even put it in the episode. That is some serious hateration. That all came from datalounge whiich is entirely made of salt, but in this case every spoiler this guy dropped came true, and given the firing by his agency and the comment section at Deadline, AND Winter basically admitting they weren't sure whether to kill Jimmy until late in the game. It all adds up.

Anyroad, in terms of the story they sort of set up this whole blood is thicker than water thing with Nucky, which supposedly meant that Eli's betrayal stung much worse was more unforgivable than Jimmy's, yet in the end it's Jimmy he can't forgive? IDK, purely in terms of loyalty/competence I think he backed the wrong person, Eli was definitely more instrumental in putting the hit on Nucky, and Jimmy was definitely reluctant to go that far. I'm glad Margaret fucked him over on the land deal for playing her so hard.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:42 am

Aww man. I'm bummed to hear about Michael Pitt being a dick. I was ambivalent about his acting when the show first started, but he really worked into the role for me by the end of last season and all this season.

My biggest worry going forward is the sidelining of Richard. Maybe he can go work for Nucky and him and Sleater can be assassin-bros now.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:01 pm

I hope that basically forgetting about Richard is going to be a mistake for Nucky. I doubt if Richard will be too happy about Jimmy's death. And I look forward to seeing how Gillian deals with it, although Jesus LORD I don't want her to have the sole raising of Tommy.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:35 pm

I think all along though they've shown that Nucky can't ever escape his blood ties. He wanted nothing to do with his father but mourned him. He was always going to forgive Eli. I thought it was a nice parallel with Jimmy choosing the Commodore at the end of last season. He choose blood even though he should have been much angrier with the Commodore.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 pm

He was always going to forgive Eli.

Definitely I get that, but as a viewer, and I do like Eli and the actor who portrays him, but I'm not *invested* in Eli, nor in his relationship with Nucky. He's every petutulant jealous little shit brother that ever was and he really was okay with killing Nucky so...there's not a lot to mine there in the future for me. Eli will always fuck up/over and Nucky will always forgive that's not a dramatically interesting relationship to me.

What I am looking forward to is seeing Richard's role expand, and I imagine he will be setting his sniper site on Nucky, most likely siding with the Luciano, Myer, Siegel tryptich, and hopefully getting Tommy out of Gillian's clutches.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm glad Margaret fucked him over on the land deal for playing her so hard.

I really kind of hate Margaret as of this season. Part of which is my fault -- I really want her to be the HBIC, and she's just not that character, although sometimes they want to make her into it when it's appropriate for the plot. I am glad she didn't sign the land back to Nucky, but I really REALLY wish she'd kept it for herself. Mostly because I find her Church Storyline really boring. Stop giving all your shit to the church, lady, and go back to having an affair with hot, possibly crazy Owen.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Agreed with all of that re Margaret, Jessica. I didn't/don't find the Margaret-and-Catholicism storyline a very necessary development. I want Margaret and Esther to form a lawyering/P.I./crimefighting business together and deal out some justice.

I hate Eli. I really, really wanted him to get killed off. It's weaksauce that he (and damn Manny Horowitz) are still alive.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:43 pm

You know, looking back on it, Margaret really got religious after her visit with her family, the one-nighter with Owen and then Emily's polio. I suspect she felt like she was getting punished for her lifestyle and several of her sins in the past (including stuff pre-Nucky) and that's why she did what she did.

I didn't find it that compelling in light of everything else either, but I'm really curious to see how the next season plays out.

As for Richard, I have a weird feeling he's going to be aligned with Gillian/Tommy. The man is loyal to the end and I suspect he'd want to be around to raise his friend's son and insure that he's well cared for. It's gonna be a fucked up family dynamic.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next