Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Walking Dead

+48
Fiammetta
Luciano
dday515
choubetcha
swsa
shanndee
Binky
Snarryfan
Shalamar
LadyGayle
BrightEyes
bbridges
CaroJC
chick binewski
salamandersam
dionneshea
violetq
QueenSix
Raised by wolves
Crackie
mandalaya
FiggyPudding
bookworm
The Dude
MaddyCat
jensa
Wildog27
josie
xyzzy
ActonBell
Matinee
spidey_88
CherryFlame
nikita
punkysdilemma
Bad Username
Cynara
gannetguts
truecrystal
biakbiak
themis
queenofdenile
RiverThames
MichiSichi
laddical
naughty zoot
sagitare
jcpdiesel21
52 posters

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Walking Dead Empty The Walking Dead

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Drama! Angst! And zombies!

I was underwhelmed by most of last week's premiere (could they have searched for Sophia any longer in the woods?), but the last scene gave me hope for this season. I'm a pretty big fan of the comics that the show is based on.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

The Walking Dead Empty Re: The Walking Dead

Post  sagitare Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:47 pm

I agree about the premiere, especially having re-watched the finale from the first season right before. The zombie-like pace of the premiere (it had to be said!) was even more noticeable. It seemed to be just endless wandering punctuated by killing some zombies. I found Lori particularly annoying. First was her holier-than-thou snit about grave robbing when they were stopped on the highway, which - hello? The entire *world*, as far as you know, is a graveyard. By all means, take the moral high ground. We'll see how long it lasts - and how long you last - when the next zombie attack happens (speaking of zombies, how did Dale *not* see that whole herd (heh) of zombies coming down the highway? Either the binoculars are crap, or they need a pair of younger eyes for lookout because he had plenty of time to see them). Then Lori gets pissy because Shane seems to be doing what she wants, i.e. distancing himself from her. Make up your mind!

I thought Carol's demeanour about Sophia's disappearance was a bit odd. You'd think someone would have to sit on her to stop her from rushing out in the woods to look for her daughter, but while she was obviously upset and very worried, there was this sort of complacency or passivity about her. Maybe there's something to it, or maybe that's just her. I would just think that if anything would get a person wound up it would be their child gone missing while there are zombies around.

The last scene also gave me some hope that the intensity and pace will pick up.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:53 pm

I am kind of hoping that the plan is to kill off the kids.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:04 pm

You'd think someone would have to sit on her to stop her from rushing out in the woods to look for her daughter, but while she was obviously upset and very worried, there was this sort of complacency or passivity about her.

Given the nature of her marriage, I think complacency and passivity are first nature for her. Either she's always been that way or it was beaten into her by her douche husband. You'd think she'd be a little more concerned about her daughter, yes, but given that her plan to save her daughter from her husband's wicked gaze was to pray to Jesus that he'd die....
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah, that's what I was thinking it had to be. I guess I thought that, given it's her daughter, she'd just seem a bit more lively about it.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:24 am

Cannot wait to see the premiere, even if this is a bit different than the comics I am enjoying this series. Although I love watching the series and saying "hey it's the guy from Love Actually"
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Daryl is once again my Zombie Apocalypse Redneck Hero.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't watch this show, but just in case the rest of you haven't seen it already: The Walken Dead.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:21 pm

I would be totally on board with Darryl and Glenn splitting off from the rest of these losers and following their adventures. They are by far the most consistently entertaining and intelligent characters.

I can't believe that Sophia STILL hasn't been found yet. And that more time was spent combing the woods for her.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:44 am

jcpdiesel21 wrote:I can't believe that Sophia STILL hasn't been found yet. And that more time was spent combing the woods for her.

Right? At least there was a lot more action going on in the episode, as compared to the premiere. I thought Andrew Lincoln was great in the scene when he gets to the house with his son. And the scenes between him and Shane? Man, the sound of thousands of Shane/Rick fanfics being born was momentarily deafening!

Once again, Lori was supremely annoying. I'm glad Rick pointed out to her that they're in no position to be picky about the qualifications of any medical professional but personally I wish he had just smacked her hard in the back of the head because bitch, please. This guy will at least give your son a chance, whereas without him you'll just be waiting to him to die a slow, very painful death.

Darryl continues to be awesome! The look he gave Dale was hilarious before pulling out the bag of pharmaceuticals. "Why didn't you just say so in the first place?" Hee! I love that racist redneck hick!

ETA: Otis needs a refresher from "Zombieland" - Cardio, cardio, cardio!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  themis Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:45 pm

I just finished streaming season one on Netflix, I have loved the zombie thing since early childhood, I love the show, but -- really, season one was six episodes-? Is season two going to be any longer?

And really, how flawless is Andrew Lincoln's fake accent? Perhaps the native Georgians have quibbles, but as a generic North American, I have never registered a single tetch of British English poking through.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Season two will be 13 episodes.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 am

If I remember correctly, season 1 was only six episodes because they were in a rush to get the show on the air last October.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Just caught up on the first 2 eps and I haven't wanted to smack someone as hard as I want to smack Lori in a long time. Dr. Vet is trying to save your kid's life and you're bitching about his credentials? REALLY?!? HATE.

I'm starting to get the same sense of boredom I got after the first few eps of S1 (and given that it was only a 6 ep season, that was pretty fast). I want more survivalist conflict, dammit! I just don't get the sense these people are trying to survive a freakin' zombie apocalypse; there's just too little common sense happening from anyone except Daryl.

And I really don't understand the zombie rules. We've seen that they perhaps have some vague memory or sense of certain places, but mostly they just seem to roam around...oozing and looking for BRAINS or whatever. But then we have a handful that still remember to sit still and stare at the crucifix? I'm confused.

Honestly I'm usually not that nitpicky about shows - I watch and thoroughly enjoy Hart of Dixie - but for some reason this show makes me hypercritical. Maybe it's because of all the raving about brilliance that I've yet to see.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  themis Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:21 pm

My nitpick is, in the whole two episodes they spend searching for a little girl, do they call her name but ... three times? I know they don't want to be firing guns and bringing Walkers in, but Christ, they can't think that walking through the woods in a small clump and talking idly to each other is at all effective? They don't even spread out and get maximum detectable distance or whatever that method's called. In all of the scenes in the woods, they're not even looking around but for two minutes.

Also, if I entered the zombie apocalypse with a gun and someone tried to take it away from me for my own good, I would crack some skulls. What kind of condescending patriarchal bullshit is that?

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:09 pm

truecrystal wrote:
And I really don't understand the zombie rules. We've seen that they perhaps have some vague memory or sense of certain places, but mostly they just seem to roam around...oozing and looking for BRAINS or whatever. But then we have a handful that still remember to sit still and stare at the crucifix? I'm confused.

I have to admit, an aspect that fascinates me is What Zombies Do when there's no obvious food around. There were the three just sitting in the church. The mini-horde shuffling down the highway with some sense of purpose. The group hanging around the high school. The wife of the guy from the first episode who was focused on the house she died in. Stuff is happening in those zombie brains beyond JUST the feeding instinct. What is it? Is it just residual habits or some flashes of random memory? Do they congregate out of instinct?
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:27 pm

The Zombie Rule that bothers me the most is the one concerning bodily fluids. We know from "TS-19" this thing is a virus - and there seemed, at the beginning, to be some wariness about blood and stuff. Rick and Glenn got all gutted up wearing raincoats with specific instructions to stay clear of the face while applying everything.

But now Andrea's killing walkers with a screwdriver to the eyesocket while screaming with mouth wide as blood spurts everywhere. Dale and Rick are gutting zombies without gloves. Everyone's covered in gore at some point or another and <i>no one</i> seems all that concerned about communicability?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 am

That was pretty stellar. I liked the way the opening scene (Rick's story about Shane in high school over Shane and Otis running) and the Big Reveal were edited. Very tight, suspenseful stuff. When the teaser was just Shane shaving his head and then the Strings of Impending Doom started up, I kind of rolled my eyes at the most overwrought and ridiculous bit of non-tension, but when that shot rolled around again at the end it totally earned some retroactive re-appreciation of the teaser.

My wife, who watches the show against her will apparently, was all concerned about Shane possibly being bitten and then had to pick her jaw up off the floor (so she could ask me why Shane didn't just shoot Otis in the head).

Since we skipped past Shane's point of demise according to the comic, I'm kinda hoping they let Daryl or Lori put Shane down. Rick and Carl have enough on their plates without the added stress of having to kill their friend/surrogate father.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:58 pm

I hated it at first when it was revealed what really happened with Shane and Otis at the school, but the more I've thought about it, the more I like it. Otis doesn't really do that much in the comics, and I was more upset at the loss of the actor who played him. And I do like the depth that this act brings to Shane's character. The only thing I found unnecessary was the teaser. Either it needed to be longer to have more of an impact or cut altogether. Too many shows do the "in media res" opening now and it's lost a lot of its effect.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:32 am

It was a total dick move, but from the situation they were in, a practical one, I guess. Ick. I also don't understand why he couldn't have at least shot him in the head, but I suppose the zombies wouldn't have gone for him, would they? What a horrible way to die.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  themis Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 pm

trucrystal wrote:
I thought they did a good job of explaining that, actually, with their CDC visit. That when the brain reactivates it's brain stem activity only, no prefrontal electrical signals were visible on the scan. I would guess that behaviors that were deeply ingrained or habitual would still be triggered. With as little as we know about brains and how some stroke victims rebuild and reroute synapses, some walkers would be capable of slightly more complex behaviors. Being that we only got to see one scan and they weren't too all 'Here's the Exposition Fairy' about it, I thought that was a nice balance of giving us a little bit of an answer while still giving them a loose framework to operate in and around, while not stringing us along for four seasons of complete non-answers.

I haven't seen the graphic novels, but I hope there's something new to the herd behavior, not what Stephen King et al have done before.

Shane, ugh. So he shaves his head because his hair almost got him killed? It looked like Otis ripped some out, I thought it would show more.

Last edited by themis on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:57 pm

I thought this ep was awesomely well done. The pacing was awesome, Daryl and Andrea were fantastic, and AL and SWC knocked it out of the park the whole time. The seizure scene was heartwrenching. Also, I hate Shane but Jon Bernthal does an awesome job playing him.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 pm

I too thought this was the best episode since maybe the first couple of last season. I actually don't mind Shane (especially when compared to Lori) and it makes sense to me that he would become A Killer in the way he did. There was a lot at stake with that mission already, but all of the relationship emotions added a complexity to the decision to kill Otis that I wish was shown more in other storylines. I'll miss you Pruitt Taylor Vince! And I'm sorry, but I still want the kid to die.

I'm still 100% Team Daryl because I find him imminently capable if not entirely likable, and capable trumps likable every time during the zombie apocalypse.

Last edited by truecrystal on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm actually finding Daryl capable AND likable. He's all, "You need antibiotics? Got 'em, here." "You're crying, so I can't sleep, so I'll go back out and look for your kid in the dark." Plus he's giving Sophia more credit in her ability to stay alive and find her way back than anyone else.

RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah, and while he's made a few off-color comments, all things considered he's been the survivor anyone can count on to help them. Words hurt and all that, I'm not saying it's okay to make race jokes even in the apocalypse, but actions count, too, and when it's come down to it Daryl's been there for everyone at one point or another. He's not perfect, but that kind of makes him the most fleshed out character whose name isn't Rick.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next