Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The X-Files

+34
dionneshea
bottle
Carrie Ann
Agent Sculder
Grainne Mhaol
laddical
The Dude
Lily Rose
Raksha
CocoaGoddess
jstilwe
UmaOprah
PrincessCleo
wenchsenior
punkysdilemma
year of the cat
swsa
tothemax
QueenSix
Red Wolf
mialoubug
Tabby
gannetguts
big chicken
ariadne
Gallifrey Girl
Menshevixen
Miss Moneypenny
inversed
Morning Angel
Jessica
blixie
Instant Monkeys
Unlucky Bear
38 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The X-Files - Page 3 Empty Re: The X-Files

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh, there's a lot of S7 that I love too. It was just a weird season. Goldberg Variation and Je Souhaite are probably in my top 10. I'm not gonna lie, part of it is that I hate Scully's hair.

I don't mind the starlight thing as much as some, but it definitely felt like a "we better wrap this thing up" kind of resolution instead of something that like, made sense and all. I agree with you that taking it on a symbolic basis is the way to go (the episode was called "Closure" for pete's sake). But whatever, my expectations for the mytharc were so low by that point. (Could they get lower? Spoiler: Yes.)

but symbolically time Mulder let that go, just as he was literally making a baby with Scully.
Don't forget dying of a secret brain disease! That was happening in Season 7! Never forget! Retcon! Retcon!! /is dragged out

Everyone likes Je Souhaite, but The Goldberg Variation doesn't get nearly enough love, IMO.

I have feelings good and bad for HAD. Oh, and there was all things. So yeah. THAT happened. /Brian Williams
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Aw, I love all things, new agey-ness and Moby song and all. I loved that GA basically wrote herself a bunch of voice overs and the open mouthed acting that David once so rudely said was her specialty. ::so bitter, so so bitter::

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Was he ever nominated for an Emmy?

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 pm

They were both nominated...more than once, I think? but only she won (just the one time).

I really am fine with Gillian's Mary Sue songfic episode. It's just very Gillian. It's funny how David's S7 episode is "Inside joke inside joke bite hand that feeds obscure references my hot wife my friend Garry Shandling sarcasm dick joke high-toned religious allusions self-conscious self-deprecation people feeding me straight lines mixed messages wordiness get me out of here zombies" and Gillian's is "New age new age lesbians new age talking talking ill-considered affairs new age discontentment over life choices Moby lesbians earnestness talking."
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Oh, look who's the last person to post in this thread. Oh well.

The many faces of Dana Scully.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:14 am

Oh boy oh boy. X-Files 20th-anniversary panel at SDCC, including the elusive DD and GA. Someone go cringe at all the horrible questions for me, willya?
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I know feel inadequate as a tinhatter since I had no idea about this tumblr:

http://fuckyeahdavidgillian.tumblr.com/

My favorite comment, after dismissing skipping work to drive up to SDCC: "That’s okay. I need to preserve my scientific distance."

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:47 pm

OMG! (Teenage fangirl me is happy and hoping there's video of this panel.)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Uh oh, that's totally gonna be this year's "10th Anniversary of Firefly" panel, with 5000 people trying to get into a 2000-person room. 6 AM line here we come.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I love that Tumblr. The person who runs it draws a nice clear line that I appreciate between humorously and tongue-in-cheekily analyzing every interaction GA and DD have ever had and every interview they've ever done (yes, in the name of "science"), and shipping them. There's no hating on significant others or elaborate paternity conspiracies or any snogger stuff. Just good clean obsessive overanalysis, mostly of how totally awkward they are around each other. Not that I think shipping them is so wrong, but there's a hell of a lot of material in their weird relationship without that. It is a spectator sport I enjoy.

I also really hope there's video. Bring back stories, punky! If you don't die trying to get in. (I'm terrified of SDCC. Seattle was more than crazy enough for me.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm going on record as loving most of Season 7. Except was First Person Shooter that season? GOD I LOATHED THAT EPISODE.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah it's horrible, and they like had three versions of that "kind" of episode in S7: X-Cops, FPS, and Fight Club. I have a lot of affection for S7 because of the opening mythos episodes, all things/Hollywood AD, magic starlight, and then the one offs of Goldberg Variation and Vince's genie ep. It reminds me of Buffy S5, there are a lot of episodes I hate, more than I like, but the episodes I like, I really really like.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 pm

blixie wrote:Yeah it's horrible, and they like had three versions of that "kind" of episode in S7: X-Cops, FPS, and Fight Club. I have a lot of affection for S7 because of the opening mythos episodes, all things/Hollywood AD, magic starlight, and then the one offs of Goldberg Variation and Vince's genie ep. It reminds me of Buffy S5, there are a lot of episodes I hate, more than I like, but the episodes I like, I really really like.

Yes, very much like that. Extremely uneven, but with such high highs that it makes up for it. (I even have a weird love for Gilligan's monster-point-of-view ep, "Hungry". I loved that it made me root against Mulder and Scully).

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:20 pm

I... I've been struck down by a truck of nostalgia and I can't get up.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:27 am

Right? I pretty much need to do a re-watch now, except I seem to only have season 4. HOME it is.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 am

From my own psychotic fandom: Um, so David and Gillian are apparently doing a Reddit AMA together. I...am flabbergasted by this information.

Rumor (in the form of Gillian tweeting it, possibly prematurely/without any apparent confirmation) has it that they're also both going to be at NY Comic-Con. (She's confirmed; the rumor part is that he'll be there too.) I guess this is all for the 20th anniversary still. But DD is so...not...into this sort of thing that it is, well, flabbergasting. I mean, I guess he IS into it now, clearly. I'm sure the money doesn't hurt (though I doubt that Reddit is exactly a gold mine). And, I ain't complaining. Also it's nice to have him at these things because unlike Gillian, he actually remembers stuff about the show. So she makes the dirty jokes and he transmits comprehensible information. That works pretty well.

GA did an AMA a couple months(?) ago and was fairly delightful, so I guess she had a good enough experience to drag him along with her for another one. I don't know how much demand there is (except among people like, y'know, me) for her to do another one so soon, and I can't help but think they are BEGGING for people to ask them stupid questions about whether they are doing it. I mean, you know? It's Reddit. But, OK. Like I said, I'm not complaining. I hope it doesn't drive David into a mountaintop cabin for the next two years.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 am

I'm mildly surprised about DD, but not flabbergasted, I think it's as simple as they both want to do another movie and will keep doing things like this to stoke that fire.

Also? They're doing it. Hee.

I do wonder if they'd be *as game* to film a TV movie, cause I'd think they'd have better chance of that, only maybe they could do it through FX or pay cable, they could get a really good budget for TV, and could have more the language and themes of a theatrical release.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 am

Gillian gave a pretty flat "no" to the idea of a TV movie at SDCC. But maybe that was more about a miniseries or something, I forget.

They are wasting their time if Chris Carter isn't going to ever write the damn movie. Or until somebody else (WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE REST OF YOUR LIFE VINCE GILLIGAN) gets the go-ahead to write it. Fox or no Fox. I firmly believe this. There is no movie and all the boosting is totally useless because CC doesn't care anymore (but enjoys the attention he gets pretending to care) and apparently there's no possibility that anyone else could do it instead so we're all sitting around waiting for Chris to get "inspired." And he has a new TV show coming out. It ain't happening. If they reboot it (especially while these two magnificent idiots are still enthusiastically bouncing around) I am going to be so pissed.

MAYBE THEY *ARE* DOING IT, because I don't know how else DD would get talked into doing Reddit, which I guarantee he has never heard of, OR NYCC for that matter. I guess he doesn't have to go far so there's that. But the AMA in particular seems like such a...promotional thing to do, and it's like, what are they promoting? together? The Blu-rays? Gillian is trying to raise her profile in the US a bit it seems, but what is David trying to do? If it is potential-movie-boosting, that sort of makes sense but I don't get the impression that they care THAT much, most of the time. Maybe they're just getting while the getting's semi-good? Because I'm sure Reddit pays handsomely? Maybe they know that people like them together so they're using that to their mutual profile-raising advantage? Or, they're doing it.

They are so getting asked about how they've gotten secretly married I think three times now in my memory according to various gossip sites. And I am fine with that. As long as no one tries to give them a box of dildos or their RPF novel.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:22 pm

You know there's gotta be a ton of RPF fan novels out there, though. It'd be hilarious if they finally hooked up in the last couple of years rather than, you know, that time they spent nearly ten years working together.

I love that she's on Twitter, too. It looked for a while like someone was running it for her (like, talking about her in the third person, even), but it seems to really be her now. Like, it's just goofy enough that it's clearly not a PA. I don't know why it cracks me up that she seems to be all up in the internets now.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Yeah, I'm loving how much she's embraced the anniversary and really seems to be having fun with all the fan interaction. I never really imagined these two would have so much perspective and such a positive attitude about the series considering the drama that was going down at the time. It gives me the warm fuzzies to see how happy they are these days.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:43 pm

She has said that she writes the tweets but someone else actually tweets them. Which, it seems easier to me to type something directly into Twitter than to e-mail some intermediary and have them do it, but my bros over here are not the MOST tech-savvy. DD asked her what her Twitter name was and all she knew was that it had part of her name in it, and an @. It certainly SOUNDS like her "voice," to me at least. I don't think her PR person is going around autonomously referring to David as Double D.

I agree it would be the most hilarious thing EVER if they got together NOW, in their 40s/50s, after spending their hottest years in sullen, cranky, constant proximity to each other.

It gives me the warm fuzzies to see how happy they are these days.
Me too!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm

swsa wrote:Yeah, I'm loving how much she's embraced the anniversary and really seems to be having fun with all the fan interaction. I never really imagined these two would have so much perspective and such a positive attitude about the series considering the drama that was going down at the time. It gives me the warm fuzzies to see how happy they are these days.
I have to say, I never thought I'd see the day. They did seem put upon for quite a while, and understandably so, at times. They were definitely overworked & spending way too much time together, especially around the time of S4 & 5 when they didn't even get a break from each other since they filmed the first movie during the hiatus, and then after S5, went around promoting the film. I'm glad they seem to enjoy each other, and the fans. This is where the distance from it all makes it easier to forget the pressure cooker and all other less fun things that came along with it.

(Also my theory was always that they hooked up around S3-4, around the time Gillian got divorced & then they showed up together at the Emmys, looking all lovey-dovey, but then that it went spectacularly off the rails, hence the extra layer of crabbiness.)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm doing a rewatch during my late-night breastfeedings and oh the memories! I'm only a few episodes in but it's fun to remember how head-over-heels infatuated with Fox Mulder I was. Now all I can see his how high his hair is.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:She has said that she writes the tweets but someone else actually tweets them. Which, it seems easier to me to type something directly into Twitter than to e-mail some intermediary and have them do it, but my bros over here are not the MOST tech-savvy. DD asked her what her Twitter name was and all she knew was that it had part of her name in it, and an @. It certainly SOUNDS like her "voice," to me at least. I don't think her PR person is going around autonomously referring to David as Double D.

I agree it would be the most hilarious thing EVER if they got together NOW, in their 40s/50s, after spending their hottest years in sullen, cranky, constant proximity to each other.

It gives me the warm fuzzies to see how happy they are these days.
Me too!
Personally, I'm pretty sure they've gotten together several times over the decades, and I'm quite sure some of those occasions were when they were young. I don't know what the hell is going on with them since the last movie, but it is really delightful to see them not-pissy with each other.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next