Television Without Pity

Page 26 of 30 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity - Page 26 Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Tabby on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Hee, blixie, I took the same path to TWoP. Sars was a guest poster on Cyber Sleaze, and had a link to Tomato Nation. I think that may have been shortly after she set up her own site; I think that previously she'd been on a site called something like Notes From the Smoking Section. Anyway, she announced on Tomato Nation about starting her own business, which was Mighty Big TV. I read it for quite a while before officially signing up in October 2002. I found Hissyfit and Fametracker through Tomato Nation, too.

This thread is sure a trip down memory lane.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:34 pm

I originally came to MightyBigTV for the Roswell recaps -- freaking LOVED djb -- and regularly hung out on there once it became TWoP for Buffy, American Idol, and So You Think You Can Dance. I remember getting banned by Shack for something I said on one of the AI threads and then a day later getting an email from Sars telling me she'd unbanned me, but with an admonishment to behave myself.

I never did know why she'd decided to step in because I wasn't even well-known or anything. But I always liked her more because she did that (because of course it's ALL ABOUT MEEEE!!).

Anyway. I'll miss the place...or maybe more so the idea of the place. Like so many others, I haven't visited much since Bravo took it over, but in the old days, I considered it a must-daily-visit type place.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:19 pm

There's now a thread up in which the recappers (past and present) are posting their goodbyes.

Sniffle.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:16 am

Thanks for linking to that, that was great to read the past and present staff reminiscing.

It's a shame that it won't be archived. I just finished watching Misfits on Netflix, and the forum thread was about 30 pages for the whole series, so I was able to get a good feel without having to slog through more than I would've wanted to see what people thought of it as it was airing week to week.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  greensock on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:24 am

BrightEyes wrote:I can't log in because I don't remember the password and or the password for the email that the account is connected to, but I must have joined sometime in 2004. I just re-read some of my posts, and good lord. It's like taking a time machine and visiting a different me. A me who is very into The West Wing, Friends, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

I used to post around 04 and 05 in the Sitcoms subform threads and the Music Videos thread in potluck. It is a reflection of a more naive, impressionable person when I look back on those posts.

greensock

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:47 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:There's now a thread up in which the recappers (past and present) are posting their goodbyes.

Sniffle.

My favourite one has to be the perfect one-liner from Glark. "You win this one, Sorkin."

But it's very touching and sweet to read all of these.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:19 am

greensock wrote:
BrightEyes wrote:I can't log in because I don't remember the password and or the password for the email that the account is connected to, but I must have joined sometime in 2004. I just re-read some of my posts, and good lord. It's like taking a time machine and visiting a different me. A me who is very into The West Wing, Friends, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

I used to post around 04 and 05 in the Sitcoms subform threads and the Music Videos thread in potluck. It is a reflection of a more naive, impressionable person when I look back on those posts.
Can you guys tell me how you were able to find those old posts? I was able to log-in the other day, saw that I registered in Feb '03 and had 300-something posts, but I couldn't get to any of them.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

I don't even want to look at my original posts. There were some major changes in my posting style between then and now, not least due to the rules over on that site. It's weird: while I still think that the moderation there was pretty bad, I'll admit that I've been horrified by the lax standards of other sites (not this one) in comparison, and what posters elsewhere are able to get away with in terms of incoherence, nastiness, lolspeak, and general idiocy. TWoP was like a drill sergeant in that manner: I won't say that I look back on their moderation with fondness, but it did teach me to be a better poster elsewhere.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:01 pm

To this day I'm still paranoid and take pains to make it clear I am not stating my opinion as fact.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Morning Angel wrote:
Instant Monkeys wrote:There's now a thread up in which the recappers (past and present) are posting their goodbyes.

Sniffle.

My favourite one has to be the perfect one-liner from Glark.  "You win this one, Sorkin."  

But it's very touching and sweet to read all of these.

The farewells from the mods and recappers are really touching and it's amazing how TWoP has lead to great things for so many of them.

I agree that sometimes on other boards, I find myself missing some of the TWoP posting rules. Like use some capitals and proper (or just any) punctuation for goodness sake. Or "no boards on boards".

ETA Carrie Ann a poster figured out that you search for your name via Google in the Advance Search section. Put in your poster name and forums.televisionwithoutpity.com It only goes back so far.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:59 pm

ActonBell wrote:To this day I'm still paranoid and take pains to make it clear I am not stating my opinion as fact.

When I started going on political debate boards, I was eaten alive until I unlearned that. To this day, I usually lurk for about a week to get the lay of the land before deciding what approach to take.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Me too. I'm actually one of the people who loved the moderation of the boards (back in the day before it got really inconsistent). Even the rules I didn't understand so much, I kind of understand now. Boards on boards makes sense when you have a membership that huge--it just leads to cliquey-ness and confusion for newer users.

I've been on the Previously.tv forums since the beta started, and while it's cool to have so much traffic since the announcement, I'm seeing just how much the profile of users changed since I left TWoP. People are nastier, less thoughtful, and I see a lot more spelling/grammar issues than I came to expect at TWoP. Oh well. I'm hoping that after the rush, things will even out there too. I hope the louder, nastier people will find some other place to land after a little time.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

It only goes back so far.

Yeah, I checked mine, and they only go back to early 2013 (I think). I'm a bit disappointed, but also somewhat relieved - when I think about how I used to gush about Kiefer Sutherland, oh my goodness.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm

When you use the "My Content" function, you can only access the last year of your posts. After that, you can find stuff by trawling through the threads. There is nothing on the boards prior to 2004.

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:35 am

I thought TWOP would be around forever. I was planning to read the recaps along with a rewatch of XF on my next vacation and now they will be gone.

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:53 am

No, those recaps are all saved on The Wayback Machine!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:53 pm

That recapper thread is great, love seeing the old familiar names and reading about the way so many of them used TWoP as a springboard for bigger things. Shack was always my favorite recapper, so I was glad to see him contribute:

Eventually I joined the forums and then begged to do some freelance recaps of some terrible '90s movies that featured "Dawson's Creek" actors. Then they brought me on board for a few years to recap "American Idol," Firefly," and most importantly, "Tru Calling," a show whose lasting cultural impact shall, God willing, never diminish.

Big, huge thanks for the staff of Television Without Pity for bringing me on, and apologies for making such a mess out of the "American Idol" forums. Fortunately I'll never have to deal with that madness ever again, unless something truly bizarre happens, like Clay Aiken running for Congress. But that would be silly.

Hahaha. The Clay Aiken mania was truly a phenomenon, I can't even imagine being the one trying to wrangle those nuts.

And despite never having seen an episode of Tru Calling, I faithfully read the recaps because I just loved his writing.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Aw man I am so late with this news! Like lots of people here I found Fametracker through TWOP, and if it wasn't for Fametracker (and its wildly entertaining meltdown) I would never have found Snarkfest. I started reading TWOP for the Buffy/Angel recaps, but the best thing I ever, ever read on that site were the recaps for Manband, an incredibly short lived show about the forgettable members of defunct boybands getting together to try and relaunch their careers. It was so funny, I never even watched the damn show but I loved those recaps. MANBAND!
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Show of hands: how many of us realized we didn't need to actually watch some shows and just read the recaps and that was just fine?
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:50 pm

I never really got into TWOP but I remember the MANBAND! recaps. They were great.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:24 pm

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:29 pm

I'm glad the recap archives will stay up. I understand not wanting to continue if they're not making a profit, but pulling the site off the web seemed a little bit like taking the ball and going home, you know?

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Yeah, I'm relieved to hear that. The more I've thought about it over the last couple of days, the more it seemed like a crying shame to just flush all that pop-culture history away.

I wish they'd leave the (locked) forums up as well, but I won't push my luck.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:27 am

Corvus wrote:Show of hands: how many of us realized we didn't need to actually watch some shows and just read the recaps and that was just fine?

Hand!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I was kind of absently thinking about the sale of TWoP to Bravo, its decline, and the new site by the Glark, Wing, and Sars, and noticed that the dates of the founders leaving TWoP and launching previously.tv were  five years apart--I think there must have been a five-year non-compete clause in the deal. And TWoP folds a year later? Interesting.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 30 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum