Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I Met Your Mother

+62
spidey_88
year of the cat
Carrie Ann
orange
Corvus
LadyGayle
Muggsy
MLIS
Kiran
nazlan
dday515
jstilwe
shamoogity
inversed
PineappleGirl
Poubelle
ActonBell
SNeaker
UmaOprah
Caramel Coffee
Unlucky Bear
ulkis
Raksha
Renny Sue
bookworm
bluebird
Never Enough
Gilraen
Gillian
Matinee
Rhilin
Wilhelmina
SarahJanet
punkysdilemma
mayram
Morning Angel
Heather
Cynara
NewYorkStranger
laurelin_kit
Auroura76
Binky
choubetcha
Genevieve
BreezyK
Swarley
TiffanyNichelle
biakbiak
dionneshea
Jasmine
Shalamar
RiverThames
roly
katesti
Sheli
maxell131313
laddical
big chicken
MichiSichi
pizzagirl20
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
66 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

How I Met Your Mother - Page 2 Empty Re: How I Met Your Mother

Post  Jasmine Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

See, I don't really care that he was her therapist, I just find his character totally boring. Last night was the only time he seemed vaguely interesting or funny. I think the issue is that the writers have a really hard time making love interests at all compelling or likeable -- they're all either actively bad like Zoe or Don, or just kind of there like Kevin and Nora. Both Kevin and Nora seem like fine people, but there's no chemistry with their partner. And I really LIKE Kal Penn, but they've done nothing good with that character.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Nora seem like fine people, but there's no chemistry with their partner.

And that is why it's tricky because I think Barney has tons more chemistry with Nora than he has every had with Robin. I realize it's unpopular but I have never seen them have anything more than friend chemistry.

I never follow press for this show, but was the reason for Kal Penn arc that Michael Trucco had other commitments? Because I am still perplexed about all the foreshadowing in his episode that hasn't ever been touched on. Plus, he is hot and I find the main character on Fairly Legal too annoying to watch it even for him!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:34 pm

I think Michael Trucco did become unavailable and that's why they got Kal Penn.

I think the issue is that the writers have a really hard time making love interests at all compelling or likeable -- they're all either actively bad like Zoe or Don, or just kind of there like Kevin and Nora.

I agree. It's already hard to get invested in love interests we know are going to be temporary, but I feel like they try so hard to make the interim love interests likable that they fail to make them seem like real people. While I'm not ignoring how she royally screwed Ted over, I think Stella was the love interest that seemed most like a real human being instead of a placeholder.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 pm

It seems silly of the writers to lay the groundwork for Robin's crush last season and then not secure the actor for future appearances. Michael Trucco is on a cable show with a less demanding shooting schedule; surely he has the time to guest star and finish out his arc, right?
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 am

Way to go, HIMYM. You broke my heart. I actually started crying at the end. Not like, Marshall's Dad is dead crying, but crying nonetheless. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy, and except for the last six months or so, it seemed that Barney was always way more in than Robin, but still. But STILL. And I love Kal Penn, and I like Kevin, but it was still just heartbreaking.

However, I did laugh aloud twice. The first time was during the song when the singer says, "I'll Wait". The second time was when Ted was sitting in the wrong booth. And I chuckled every time the boys got into the Ladies Room line and then when they show the security tape footage.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 am

I laughed all four times at the guys standing in the wrong line for the bathroom.

But the Barney/Robin stuff made me furious. I'm tired of the slow burn, of the dragging out the inevitable, of the twist at the end I saw coming the minute Barney suggested the dual break-up proposal. We know they're going to get together, so just stop with the pretense, show. Neil and Cobie did really well with the material, but I'm tired of this nonsense. I hate that cool, confident Robin is now a mess of insecurities who will stay with a guy who's nice even though he's wrong for her.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:58 am

I'm so ready for Ted to meet the mother at this point. I don't care about Barney/Robin and this storyline is making me dislike them a lot. Either get them together or break them up for good but choose one and stick with it!

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:34 am

queenofdenile wrote:I laughed all four times at the guys standing in the wrong line for the bathroom.
Me, too! I loved Ted and Marshall's entire "sandwich"-induced sequence and how it was explained in the two-minute security footage. Especially the real meaning behind the guy who told Ted "It's a sign!"

Oh, Barney. That last scene just killed me. I do feel some frustration regarding Barney and Robin getting back together. We know that's the ultimate endgame, but it feels like the writers are dragging it out at this point to fill this season and the next.

Did anyone else find Kevin to be somewhat manipulative in the hospital scene?
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:53 am

jcpdiesel21 wrote:
Me, too! I loved Ted and Marshall's entire "sandwich"-induced sequence and how it was explained in the two-minute security footage. Especially the real meaning behind the guy who told Ted "It's a sign!"

Best part of that: in the footage, Ted got the nachos from the "guitar guy" out of the trash. Then when Lily was eating them, she had this great, "Oh, what the hell am I eating?" look on her face.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 am

queenofdenile wrote: I hate that cool, confident Robin is now a mess of insecurities who will stay with a guy who's nice even though he's wrong for her.

SO MUCH THIS. Robin used to be one of my favorites, but now it's like all her life decisions are made based on whatever boy she has a crush on this week. It's so disheartening to see her string of bad choices over the last few seasons - giving up a job for a guy, pining after an unavailable friend, dating her therapist, sticking with the therapist over the now-available friend seemingly for no better reason than he was nicer to her when she threw her insecurities into his face. This is Robin, who knew exactly what she wanted?

Sandwich gags are always gold, though.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:02 am

choubetcha wrote:
queenofdenile wrote: I hate that cool, confident Robin is now a mess of insecurities who will stay with a guy who's nice even though he's wrong for her.

SO MUCH THIS. Robin used to be one of my favorites, but now it's like all her life decisions are made based on whatever boy she has a crush on this week. It's so disheartening to see her string of bad choices over the last few seasons - giving up a job for a guy, pining after an unavailable friend, dating her therapist, sticking with the therapist over the now-available friend seemingly for no better reason than he was nicer to her when she threw her insecurities into his face. This is Robin, who knew exactly what she wanted?

To at least be fair to Robin's choice here: she probably also believed that Barney would punk out on telling Nora.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 am

I would actually give more leeway since Kevin's answer was so much better than Barney's (agreeing that Robin's a mess, really Barney?) but Robin's been written as such a doormat lately that I just can't.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 am

Yeah, for me it's just part of a continuing pattern of Robin's behavior. I don't know why this accomplished, interesting woman is calling herself a mess all the time. Characters who are completely free of insecurities are boring, not to mention unrealistic, but this doesn't feel like an organic exploration of Robin's insecurities. It feels like a stupid contrivance to delay the inevitable.

I don't buy Barney's quick turnaround from being committed to Nora to wanting to commit to Robin, either. Obviously we knew it was coming for awhile but the execution of it didn't work for me.

I was, however, quite moved by the image of Barney cleaning the roses off of Robin's bed while Ted watched from the hallway. That got to me in a good way.

Also, Jerry Minor's cheating song complete with his harmonizing backup singers was very, very funny.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Double-posting to link to an intriguing casting spoiler. (Warning: the link also reveals the type of character said performer will play.)

Spoiler:
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Spoiler:

BTW I love the spoiler tags in this forum! They even work on phones!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:31 pm

I know I'm in a small minority, but I really don't like the idea of Barney/Robin. They had their moment, it ended, time to move on. So I like this new casting rumor, and I also like Kal Penn and want to see him stick around longer.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 am

Yeah, I really like Kal Penn, too. I can't really tell if like Kevin, or just Kal Penn, though. And I'm also not sure that I want to root for Barney, who's character is basically incapable of monogamy, to hook up with a woman I like.

I did like Nora, though...but not with Barney.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 am

I'm not sure I necessarily want a Barney/Robin endgame at this point, either, but I feel like expecting a different result is pointless. I don't see it ending in any other way. While I do like Kal Penn, I'd rather Barney and Robin get together now instead of watching them take countless turns pining after each other.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:30 pm

I like Kal Penn a lot, but I don't like him on this show. The character is just boring, and doesn't seem anything other than "therapist dude." The only interest we got out of him is when he analyzed Barney that time. He seems to have no chemistry with Robin, and she doesn't really seem to like him other than he likes HER. I mean, I adore Barney/Robin, but would be fine with that not being the endgame if they gave Robin someone interesting, and they seem unable to do that.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 am

What. The Hell. Was That?
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 am

I can't even. I may just have to give up on this show.

Which is a shame because up until that last scene, I was mostly enjoying this episode in a way I haven't in awhile.

And hey Jai from Queer Eye and Wayne Brady adopted really Caucasian looking kids!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:08 am

dionneshea wrote:What. The Hell. Was That?

MTE. This is heading into Friends territory. And I do not mean that as a compliment. Why do shows always go in this direction (i.e. everyone sleeps with everyone, everyone gets pregnant, bitching about moving to the burbs, blah blah)? I feel like I've seen this episode 10 times already on 10 other shows.

Wasn't James's husband white way back when? In that picture he showed on his phone?

And the bro-parents thing was just WEIRD. I don't know a single straight guy who would have that conversation with his friend. Not a one.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:14 am

dionneshea wrote:What. The Hell. Was That?
The show wants me to hate it. And since when does Jai Rodriguez play Barney's brother in law?
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:20 am

I don't know a single straight guy who would have that conversation with his friend. Not a one.

While I agree, I oddly didn't have any problem with the notion that Ted/Barney would do that because 1. they are cartoonish 2. they have no other female friends to have that discussion with and 3. Marshall being this close to jumping ship cracked me up.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:35 am

NO!
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content