Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 25 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  aninnocent Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:35 pm

I saw Pacific Rim last night (2D) and loved it. I was worried it would be like Transformers where the robots are so big and the action is so fast that you can't see anything, but I thought the monster fights ended up being great to watch. Wish there were more. One thing I was totally distracted by was Charlie Hunnam's swagger with his thumbs tucked into his belt. It seemed so not military and so Jax Teller.

aninnocent

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 25 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Cynara Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm

I saw it last night and my usually-general-malcontent friend summed up what we all were thinking by turning to us at the credits and saying "I WANT TO SEE THAT TWENTY MORE TIMES."  It was just so freaking awesome when it should have been so stupid. I loved every robot-punching-alien second of it, and I was sort of sucker-punched by FEEEEELS towards the end, which I appreciated.  I honestly thought
Spoiler:

Also, Ways I Know I am Getting Old #3418: Idris Elba and Max Martini were so much hotter than the interchangeable blond guys.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Whatever, you're not old.  They were hot.  I admit, I loved it.  I saw it in 3D on a big screen, and it was awesome.  The visual effects were stunning, and the movie rarely meandered, you know?  I felt like most of the scenes had a purpose.  It was a very telegraphed movie, but not in a bad way.

I admit I may of yelled
Spoiler:
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 am

Cynara wrote:Also, Ways I Know I am Getting Old #3418: Idris Elba and Max Martini were so much hotter than the interchangeable blond guys.
Nah, that just means you have good vision.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 am

I wish it had gotten me as pumped as everyone else. To me it was just okay. I didn't dislike it, I'd watch it again if it came up with friends, but awesome robot designs aside, I thought it was uneven. Charlie Day kind of annoyed the shit out of me in one way... but then Burn Gorman annoyed the shit out of me in another. Idris Elba was badass, except when he was being a cliched stiffnecked father figure.
Spoiler:

I did enjoy the worldbuilding. The kaiju shrine in a kaiju skull, the itinerant wall-builders, the way the kaiju became kind of celebrities in their own right. I'd love to know how the "Atlantic Rim" countries are doing. Obviously their economies would be screwed up by the kaiju attacks, but since they don't have to live with the unavoidable reminders of it on their doorstep, it'd be interesting to see how things have changed for them.

I was almost disappointed with how one scene played out, how it didn't seem to have the expected payoff. But then it did, and "Where's my goddamn shoe?" became the highlight of the night.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 am

I saw The Conjuring this weekend and really enjoyed it. It's much more of an old-school film in terms of atmosphere and pacing, but it managed to keep our incredibly obnoxious and high school aged dominated theater engaged. The acting was really solid across the board. It felt a little surreal to have a horror film with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor, and Ron Livingston as the leads, but you can see how it pays off in the lack of "ugh, just kill them already" moments you get with so many other annoying characters played by subpar actors in horror films.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:46 am

I saw it too, and I liked it. I was thinking the scares were sort of slow and low until
Spoiler:
. I did think the acting was solid, but I admit I thought Ron Livingston's demeanor was a little laid back
Spoiler:
I was like dude these are not TPS reports, stop playing tetris!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:55 am

I think the most freaked out moment for me was
Spoiler:
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I enjoyed Pacific Rim so much I've seen it twice now. I had a good time both times and between that movie, his role on True Blood and his appearance at the NerdHQ during SDCC, I now have a crush on Rob Kazinsky. He has dimples!
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Right there with you on that account. His Nerd HQ panel was really adorable. I'd love to see Pacific Rim a second time, but getting a babysitter can be a bit of a hassle.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 am

Pacific Rim has been the best popcorn flick of the summer by far.

Only God Forgives, however, is pretentious crap. Even hot Ryan Gosling couldn't save it.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  filwdork Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:00 pm

I have now seen Pacific Rim twice. I sprung for IMAX 3D for the second viewing and it was totally worth every penny. I just really, really loved everything about it. Mostly Charlie Hunnam's face (and abs) and Idris Elba and Max Martini were also nice to look at. Rinko Kikuchi also was pretty awesome. I loved Mako Mori so much.

Also, I'm obsessed with the soundtrack and can't stop listening to it.

filwdork

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm

The Way Way Back is sweet, funny, and charming. An absolute delight!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:43 am

Lovelace you'll feel like you need a scrub brush and a shot of penicillin from any one of Peter Saarsgard's glares at Amy Seyfried.

As harrowing as the movie is, they left out even some worse details of the real story.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:08 pm

How was Amanda's performance? I've been wanting to watch that movie since hearing about it last year.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 pm

She did well, if you've seen interviews of Linda Lovelace Amy gets the voice down without it turning into a caricature. A deffinate improvement over what LiLo would have been.

The distracting performance is Hank Azaria uses his Moe Syzlak voice, which is not all that inappropriate.

There's a bit of uncomfortable subtext in that Debbie Mazar is playing Thora Birch's real life mom.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:54 pm

The Dude wrote:There's a bit of uncomfortable subtext in that Debbie Mazar is playing Thora Birch's real life mom.
Not as uncomfortable as if Thora were playing that role.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm

The subtext is lost on me. What?
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised Jack Birch didn't insist she get the part. You see a lot of him in Chuck Traynor.

There's a wink at one of the more humorous episodes (if you can call anything involving her story that) of her story in that she meets a Sammy Davis Jr, but I can't see anyway the film would have been able to include it without rancor from his estate.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm

bookworm wrote:The subtext is lost on me.  What?
Thora's parents were in the adult film business, and evidently her mother is played by Debi Mazar in this film.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

That and Jack Birch is a skeevey control freak with his daughter.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 am

Blue Jasmine. It was, you know, Woody Allen doing what he does: following some interesting characters around for a while until 90 minutes have finished. Not great, but better that his early-aughts stuff. However, Cate Blanchett is freaking amazing. She takes a role that could easily be taken way over the top, but keeps it on the ground. I don't know if she'll get nominated for anything, but she ought to.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:42 pm

The Conjuring, which was pretty good for a horror movie (not my bag). It had some creepy moments without the over the top gore or shaky cam. I did enjoy how the demonologists
Spoiler:
just chilling in their home.

Elysium, which I enjoyed because I love big budget sci-fi, but it suffers from a WTF plot (especially in the last third) and Jodie Foster chewing scenery like whoa. I really hated that aside from her, the only female character existed to run around toting an ill child. Lazy as hell gender roles. I did love Sharlto Copeley. And I could actually understand most of what he said (couldn't understand his accent at all in District 9).
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am

I liked Elysium overall, and I agree with you about Jodie Foster. Serious scenery chewing.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 am

Turning in my critic's card-- I went to City Of Bones last night with a much-younger friend from my barn, and I unironically loved it. Silly, shiny, with an appealing cast playing surprisingly likable characters who took their quest seriously while the movie simultaneously did not take itself too much so--I'm in. I went because Aidan Turner, and the sight of him playing a werewolf just made me giggle to myself all evening, but I even liked the emo-boy love interest and the spunky heroine (who mostly wore low heels, which I always appreciate.) And I had popcorn for dinner. Win all around.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next