Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 4 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 am

Basically I can't decide if I found it disappointing or if I think it's the best thing Diablo Cody's done.

For me it was both. I wish it had gone more in depth and cut a bit deeper, but I honestly liked it far more then I have ever liked anything Cody has done (and I actually liked both her other movies to varying degrees). I loved the performances though. Charlize Theron, of course, but also Patton Oswalt.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 4 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  tothemax Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:24 pm

I was dragged to Mission Impossible on IMAX and was surprised at how much I liked it. I'm no longer capable of seeing Tom Cruise as anything but the unbalanced man who jumped on couches, but he did a good enough job in this.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 pm

My guess is that Brad Bird is so awesome that he made everyone in the movie look awesome by default.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Putli Bai wrote:War Horse, or "Black Beauty meets Saving Private Ryan." I enjoyed it, but there were several times where it was really hard to watch. And the theater got very, very dusty there at the end of the movie.

Every time I see a trailer for that, I keep saying "WHO'S A PRETTY HORSIE? YOU ARE! YOU ARE!"
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:17 pm

I think the ending of Young Adult is meant to be a disappointment. She doesn't learn a thing. And even worse, she STARTS to possibly learn something, but then completely reverts to type.

It's also my favorite thing Diablo Cody has done. It's a much more mature script. Not only in that the twee dialogue is gone, but that I think it's the most honest she's ever been as a writer. I think there was a lot of her in Mavis, and I appreciated that she was brutally honest about her flaws, and especially that she seemed to drop any pretense of her heroine being too clever for the rest of the world to handle. I couldn't help but feel like she's probably grown up a lot since her Juno days.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I think she has too. I think United States of Tara was a good show of the progression of that growth. Shes also in a very different place of her life that she was when she wrote Juno and that could play a role too. I also think Jason Reitman (and I know people hate him but I've actually liked to varying degrees all of his movies) is a director that is really good with her work.

I know shes directing a movie next (with Russell Brand) and it sounds interesting. I am actually excited to see it now.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I saw Girl with a Dragon Tattoo on Friday and I watched the swedish version on Netflix streaming that night. I may be in the minority but I preferred the Fincher version and actually preferred Rooney's Lisbeth to Noomi's.

I also think there may be something wrong with me that the only thing that upset me in the film was the
Spoiler:

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:40 pm

The Adventures of Tintin which was a lot of fun. It's a shame it doesn't appear to be doing too well (I haven't looked at any numbers, just judging by the fact that there was only one non-3D screening for the movie at the theater I went to - on a screen it shared with MI4 the rest of the time - and only one dedicated screen in 3D).

Spielberg free of physical constraints is a marvel. Sometimes the movie is almost too "directed", but it's really hard for me to see that as a negative when we have a six minute chase sequence that is one completely uninterrupted shot from the moment Haddock fires the bazooka into a dam. An uninterrupted shot that includes a car, a motorcycle, a sidecar, a dog, a bird, a building knocked loose from its foundations, a tank, a clothesline, a power line, and a woman's dress.

I was under the impression that Spielberg was directing one movie and Jackson would be directing the next, but I haven't heard anything about Jackson's movie, whether it's finished or what. Spielberg has two movies out this winter - it'd be funny if Jackson had two out next Christmas.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:14 pm

I wanted to see Tintin, but couldn't actually watch it. Uncanny Valley. Either do it live action or do it animation, not the worst of both worlds, Spielberg!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:32 pm

See, I thought this movie was the example of how to do the mix - something Zemeckis could take notes from (though I admit, he did a much better job with A Christmas Carol than he did with Beowulf). It uses the actors for performance, but then uses the animation to push things in very stylized directions. Nothing's intended to be photorealistic - Tintin is probably the closest to it, but Haddock, Sakharin, and Thompson and Thomson are very cartoony. In fact, aside from Tintin, there isn't a single character in the movie, I think, with a believable body or face - too round, too angular, or too misproportioned.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Its doing alright but not great in the states but is a huge hit everywhere else, probably due to Tin Tin's popularity elsewhere. I want to see it because I've heard its great and due to my Indian parents grew up with Tin Tin.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:39 pm

tothemax wrote:I was dragged to Mission Impossible on IMAX and was surprised at how much I liked it. I'm no longer capable of seeing Tom Cruise as anything but the unbalanced man who jumped on couches, but he did a good enough job in this.

Your thoughts are pretty much mine. I actually went more for the supporting cast (love Paula Patton, Jeremy Renner, and Simon Pegg), but found it to be not bad. But I was a little bit confused about one thing:
Spoiler:

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:06 am

Has anyone seen The Darkest Hour? It looks intriguing, and hopefully not so scary that it will be too much for my non-scary-movie-loving husband.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 am

According to IO9 it's not too scary, but not too good either.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I also did a Girl With The Dragon Tattoo doubleheader and preferred the Fincher one. I thought Rapace was excellent, but she came across as a tough angry Goth girl in the end, whereas I think Mara brought more depth as a severely disturbed and frankly kind of creepy child-woman. (On a shallower note I preferred Daniel Craig because he is Daniel Craig and not Michael Nyqvist, an apparently very good actor who still brings to mind a skeevy Russian landlord.)

One thing I did like about Rapace's Lisbeth is
Spoiler:

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 pm

I had a slightly different view:

Spoiler:

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Snarryfan wrote:
I also think there may be something wrong with me that the only thing that upset me in the film was the
Spoiler:

Me too.

I thought it was okay, but I felt kind of unfulfilled. I haven't seen the originals to compare, though. On a super shallow note, I wouldn't mind living in the guest cottage at all.

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I think the real question is, how do the film's sandwiches compare to the book's?

Last edited by naughty zoot on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:04 am

There's a shit ton of sandwiches. Seriously, the whole movie is like Brad Pitt in Ocean's 11.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:33 am

MtOlivePickles wrote:
tothemax wrote:I was dragged to Mission Impossible on IMAX and was surprised at how much I liked it. I'm no longer capable of seeing Tom Cruise as anything but the unbalanced man who jumped on couches, but he did a good enough job in this.

Your thoughts are pretty much mine. I actually went more for the supporting cast (love Paula Patton, Jeremy Renner, and Simon Pegg), but found it to be not bad. But I was a little bit confused about one thing:
Spoiler:

Agreed with all of this. It was pretty much the only movie my entire family could see on Christmas, and we did. I've never seen any of the other MI's (again, with the relatively recent Tom Cruise allergy I seem to have), but I thought it was pretty decent.

As for your question,
Spoiler:

I regret not seeing it in IMAX though; it seems like it was really made for it, especially the Burj Khalifa stuff, which was pretty rad. This is a question for another thread, I suppose, but I get motion sickness in planetariums, and that's why I avoid IMAX and 3D movies. I'm pretty sure the latter would still bug the hell out of me (plus, I oppose them on principle), but would I be okay in, say, the last row at an IMAX theater? I'm not willing to shell out the ~$17 or so bucks to find out myself quite yet.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

On a shallower note I preferred Daniel Craig because he is Daniel Craig and not Michael Nyqvist, an apparently very good actor who still brings to mind a skeevy Russian landlord.

See, this is the one thing I think the US version really has going for it. It never made sense to me in the book (or in the original movie) that EVERY woman who encounters Blomkvist ends up throwing herself at him, but with Daniel Craig playing him this seems slightly more plausible.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:07 am

naughty zoot wrote:I think the real question is, how do the film's sandwiches compare to the book's?
Hee hee hee. So many sandwiches. Sandwiches, coffee, 22-page digressions about toilet manufacturing, and violent
Spoiler:
How could it not become a bestseller?

I have to say that when I saw the Swedish movie I kind of thought of the actor as a poor man's Daniel Craig (and I happen to find Daniel Craig quite tasty), so the fact that the real Daniel Craig is in this one seems right and proper to me.

I'm hoping to see it maybe this weekend sometime.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:10 am

I haven't read the book or seen the original (but it's on my queue) and I saw it today. I wish it were scarier. Plenty of horrible things happen and I cringed in my seat but I thought it would be more psychologically frightening.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:29 am

I saw both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. I found both fairly....eh. I was surprised that Mara was the best thing about GWDT. The very thing I liked about her Lisbeth was that she felt alien/odd and not like a "real" person, and Noomi did feel as though she was a little too..normal. I do agree that it's a heavily, and definitely creepily, directed performance though.

Spoiler:

I think MI4 was a just a little oversold, it was solid piece of entertainment, I guess, but for 9 bucks I could have waited for Netflix.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Saw Sherlock and Young Adult so far this week. Enjoyed them both in different ways. I actually really liked Sherlock a lot, though I totally get the annoyance friends of mine had at
Spoiler:
But it was a lot of fun. Young Adult wasn't fun, though I laughed a lot, but Charlize and Patton were both fantastic.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next