Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Endings

+15
whatthedeuce
blixie
Gillian
Jessica
biakbiak
Raised by wolves
RiverThames
Auroura76
jstilwe
bbridges
schwa
BreezyK
paablish
TiffanyNichelle
jcpdiesel21
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Happy Endings Empty Happy Endings

Post  jcpdiesel21 Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Anyone else watch this show? I had no interest in it when it premiered in the spring; it looked like another uninspired sitcom even though it featured a few actors that I like. But I kept hearing about how it got better as the season progressed, and decided to check it out when I saw it compared favorably to Friends. My husband and I blew through the entire first season and the first four episodes of season 2 in less than a week, and we both really like it. The cast is great and the writing is sharp and witty. I never realized Casey Wilson could actually be quite funny; she was never utilized very well during her brief time on Saturday Night Live.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Happy Endings Empty Re: Happy Endings

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh I love Happy Endings! It is so funny.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  paablish Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:19 am

I just found this show and I was ready to be not impressed. Funny story: The storyline with Alex being mistaken as a drag queen happened to my friend this weekend. He was complimenting some ladies on their very realistic breasts until they told him they were in fact women.

paablish

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am

Yeah I kept seeing things about it on both AV Club and Vulture, which are my two main sites for recaps these days, so despite hating the original premise (the guy gets left AT the altar and they just all still hang out?!), I started watching it last year. It is SO funny and they're really firing on all cylinders this season. "Here at Steak Me Home, tonight we use only fresh ingredients"

Also, this will never not be funny to me: hipsters

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  schwa Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Last night's episode was great. I love how awkward Dave is when he's on camera. And his perm at the end! I loved all the ways everyone responded to it. My favorites were the Temple Grandin and Kerry Russell after she ruined Felicity.

schwa

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:43 am

The line of the episode was definitely the "Shuttin' down the fallopes #menopause" tweet. So great.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:48 am

I am so Penny it's not even funny.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I really didn't like this show when it first aired, so I gave up on it. It just felt like it was trying SO hard. Upon recommendations of friends whose TV tastes I trust, I gave it another shot this year, and like you guys, blew through this season. I think it's settled into its own humor a lot. Plus, the show just looks pretty. I dig it.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 pm

"No more building codes, bro!"

I can't believe they got away with that joke about the booty text. "Look at how he spelled come over"

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Or the three hole punch joke!

This show is so sly and funny, I wish more people watched it.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:30 pm

The absence of a laugh track really helps this show. Often the jokes are so rapid-fire that I have to go back and listen to them again because I'm laughing too much and miss some.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:07 am

Any show that can slip in a Mamet/Glengarry Glen Ross joke and then keep rolling like nothing happened is all right in my book.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 am

I loved Jane and Max's outfits. Sure, Max made Jane look bad (high waisted jeans, good call!) but Jane looked like she was in a costume. Max's white nuthugging Princess Di tribute looked like more of an outfit. I like how this show switched up the pairs for all three plotlines although please show, pretty pretty please don't go there with Penny and Dave.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 am

pretty pretty please don't go there with Penny and Dave.

I really worry because the pre-press for this show was AWFUL and it talked about everything through Alex/Dave's break-up and how it was basically about how all the characters dealt with their relationships demise, which thankfully the show never went there but one thing about the original premise was that Penny had unrequited feelings for Dave and that this was an opening for their relationship.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  schwa Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 am

Raised by wolves wrote:please show, pretty pretty please don't go there with Penny and Dave.

I was on ONTD yesterday and there was someone talking about hearing rumors about the two of them getting together and I was wondering where they had heard that. Then I saw last night's episode and was wary.

schwa

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm

My hope is that they're going to sleep together and the fall-out will be disastrously awkward and therefore hilarious rather than Schmoopy. In other words, more Chandler and Monica than Ross and Rachel.

I had to pause the DVR last night to laugh when I realized Dave was wearing a shirt with Princess Diana on it.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm glad to see y'all's responses, because I'm pretty new to this show and was like, "...Penny and Dave? Is this a thing? Because I just saw him kiss Kim Bauer in that Christmas episode."

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 am

I am REALLY distressed at this Dave/Penny thing. I hated Mondler with the fire of ten thousand suns, but if it must happen, I do like Jessica's idea where it turns out horrible awkward and disastrous. AND THAT THEY DON'T STAY TOGETHER. This is so completely out of left-field, I don't get it at all. Why wasn't Dave weirded out when Penny went out with his old teacher? Yes, I realize the therapist stuff was kinda weird. Still. It rang very false.

Also, yes, Dave and Alex just kissed in the last episode! It made me wonder if this aired out of order.

This was probably my least favorite episode of the show so far. Jane is starting to get on my nerves the way Monica did, what with her super-competitive, anal-retentive, uber-competitiveness. The show really needs to pull back on this a bit. Or at least have her uppance come. It always seems like she gets her way.

Brad and Alex bonding over romcoms was cute, but again, why were they acting like Brad and Jane had just got married and Brad and Alex were awkward around each other? Something was just so off about this whole episode.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:57 am

For me, Dave/Penny isn't completely objectionable, but it does come completely out of left field with no lead-up. I think it would make more sense if only one of them had a crush on the other; it's a little too weird that BOTH of them suddenly have unrequited feelings for each other. Hopefully this will go in a more unexpected, funny direction than what was projected at the end of the episode.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:45 am

I choose to believe they're fucking with us. Think about it: they gave them a classic rom-com set-up, like in the movie Brad and Alex watched, and they just shrugged and kept walking along. As if to say, Yup, not gonna happen.

And I'm going to KEEP SAYING THAT until it's true.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schwa Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 am

Oh my goodness, I was dying during this episode.

Too many good one liners.

"The curse of Max's love handles strikes again!"

And when Alex said her high school boyfriend "Wasn't a poet, he was a bard!"

schwa

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Alex going from Miracle to the Goonies and back to Miracle to inspire the gang was hilarious.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

It totally was. I replayed that about 4 times and laughed every time. I also loved Max's creepy narration voice.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 pm

"You know what I was thinking about? If Mary Tyler Moore married and then divorced Steven Tyler then married and divorced Michael Moore then got into a three-way lesbian marriage with Demi Moore and Mandy Moore, would she go by the name Mary Tyler Moore Tyler Moore Moore Moore?"

HYSTERICAL. I love this show. It's quickly become one of my weekly TV highlights.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Did Jane actually get away with saying she was going to buzz one out? I think that one went over the censors heads.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next