Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golden Globes 2012

+12
katesti
RiverThames
dreago
eventide82
biakbiak
jcpdiesel21
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Binky
mrinsouciance
blixie
Poubelle
16 posters

Go down

Golden Globes 2012 Empty Golden Globes 2012

Post  Poubelle Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:57 pm

(We don't have a thread for this yet? Huh.)

So for all the hoopla over Ricky Gervais, I thought he was fairly meh this time around. Only vaguely amusing and few of his insults stood out. The only truly funny moment was Madonna's retort that if he thought she was still like a virgin, he should come over there and fix it. I wish they'd go back to being hostless.

I hope The Artist keeps winning because Uggie is adorable. They should've given him an honorary canine award. (Oscars--there's still time! SAGs--do you guys have an animal branch?)

I think they just give something to Meryl Streep every year because she drinks just enough to give a good, entertaining speech.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Golden Globes 2012 Empty Re: Golden Globes 2012

Post  blixie Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

I think they just give something to Meryl Streep every year because she drinks just enough to give a good, entertaining speech.

Definitely, and she delivers every time. I loved that David Fincher looked like a douchebag when the camera men were following her glasses and he executive decided not to give them to her.

So who knew Piper Perabo was trying out for a role as the New Baby Jane? Girlfriend was overly medicated and veering between over animated wacky faces of cray and bitch faces of death all evening. She and Johnny Depp, who is now a caricature of himself, should have presented together.

Angie and Claire Danes were my best dressed, though I found it interesting that Danes brought her mom instead of Hugh Dancy and then thanked him in speech in a way that sounded a little....sorry for being crazy honey please don't dump me. And Angie's death glares of Ice and Fire during the Seacrest interview made my life, because Brad was doing every thing he could to campaign and Angie was like no sorry babe, not with him, not happening. Seacrest's ass kissing at the end made that even better. Such a tool.

My other favorite moments:

* Jessica Chastain being a total sweetie, especially when she reality fangirled Guiliana Rancic, who was getting a lot of understandable asides about her whole health/baby situation.

*Conversely Kate Beckinsale's EPIC bitchery was on display with her withering attitude toward GR. Heh, because Kate Beckinsale giant movie star!

*Sophia Vergara explaining her muscles were from working out, and her boob and booty-liciouness were from cake.

*Emma Stone's describing her dress as..purple, and fuschia, and it has AN EAGLE! She framed the eagle too, which, that girl, she is funny.

*Cutest couple: Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum, no one is more surprised than me by that. Her admitting she memorized and practiced delivering her outfit details, fangirling the Brange, writing little notes to each other when they aren't together? All very very cute!

*Dame Helen chowing down during Gervais monologue. Hee.

*Tina Fey video bombing Poehler.

The show itself was pretty bad though, the directing was TERRIBLE, when Kate Winslet won there was no cutting to Leo, WTF, director person WTF?! It's the first year in many many years I stopped watching before the show was over. Despite what Ricky made out I do think he tamped down on stuff and his only really funny bit was the Depp exchange.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:52 pm

What's the story with Angie and Seacrest? Other than fact he's annoying beyond belief, did he kick her puppy or something? If she hates the guy so much, why didn't they have GR interview them instead of Seacrest?

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:What's the story with Angie and Seacrest? Other than fact he's annoying beyond belief, did he kick her puppy or something? If she hates the guy so much, why didn't they have GR interview them instead of Seacrest?

IIRC, at a past Globes, he pounced on them and asked super personal questions about their family and kids, and didn't ask about the movie (I can't remember which movie it was, but it wasn't fluff like the Tourist) at all. Or even silly questions, just super intense personal ones. Also, around that time, I believe an E! employee was arrested for trespassing (or something along those lines...possibly more convoluted) at their LA home. So, my guess is Brangelina is reasonably pissed at E! itself and Seacrest.

I thought the show was dull. Ricky was neither funny nor mean (last year he was at least a little funny). And the camera direction was ODD.

I wonder if Meryl Streep got her glasses back.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 pm

So who knew Piper Perabo was trying out for a role as the New Baby Jane? Girlfriend was overly medicated and veering between over animated wacky faces of cray and bitch faces of death all evening.
Now, I love hate to speculate on people's relative wellness or level of intoxication, but I saw her at a Q&A at Sundance for Lost and Delirious, and something was... not right about her. She was baby-talking, head-bobbing, pulling faces. She would just trail off for a bit in the middle of answers and then giggle like a kid. It was like she was doing a part. She answered the question, "What was it like to see this with an audience for the first time?" with "Oh!... Well, it was very interesting because people laughed at parts I never thought were funny...." In a hurt baby voice, with very long pauses, and a bit of a British accent for some reason? It was really awkward. Over the years, when I see her in interviews or other live events the GGs, I still catch that now and then. I saw her making her weird faces as she was coming out with SMG, and then she slapped on the smile.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I remember the Angelina vs Ryan thing started at some red carpet where he kept asking all these stupid questions about the kids and what they did for breakfast. She was a little cool to him and the next day on his radio show he bitched about her not being superduper happy to talk to him. A few days after that her mother died so we all realized, oops, that was around the time her mother was dying so STFU Ryan. Then he chased her and Brad down another red carpet and it was hilarious.

Why do I know this?

There wasn't enough Ricky for me. I enjoyed his banter with Johnny and how Helen Mirren and Jodie Foster seemed to get a kick out of him. Elton John however seemed like a big dud. Dude enough with the sourpuss, you were nominated for a song from Gnomeo and Juliet.

There was way too many penis jokes, the only ones I really enjoyed was Tina Fey and Jane Lynch's and George Clooney's.

To sum up, I really need to see The Artist. It's going to clean up big time at the Oscars isn't it?
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks for the info, I really had no idea. Which is weird because I watch most of those red carpet shows, but when you're cooking with it on in the background, you miss a lot - which probably isn't the worst thing in the world. Seacrest is such a twirp.

See The Artist. For Uggie, if no other reason. I was glad to see it won best score, because that movie even more than most relied on the music as a character in and of itself.

I think at the Oscars it will be between The Artist, The Descendents, and The Help. Must be the year to have "The" at the beginning of your movie title.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Ricky Gervais, but thought he was a disappointment this time around as host. His jokes were way too tame and he spent time in his opening bit poking fun at celebrities who weren't even in attendance. So daring, Ricky! I hope the show goes back to being hostless next year. There really is no need for an official host, as Ricky disappeared for huge spans of time after the opening.

My favorite three unscripted moments of the night were:
  • Seth Rogen confessing that he was concealing a massive erection while presenting with Kate Beckinsale. That caught me completely off guard. I also enjoyed his crack about how "hilarious" My Weekend With Marilyn is.
  • Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy's lovely, amusing song when they presented together. That was fun!
  • Tina Fey and Jane Lynch's joke about Thomas Jane and subsequent "Penis joke!" cry and high five.

WHY was Chris Tucker there? The camera cut to him at least twice during the evening.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

jcpdiesel21 wrote:WHY was Chris Tucker there? The camera cut to him at least twice during the evening.

I would guess he's appearing in an NBC series. That's often the case with those WTF? moments they're showing a random celeb at these things.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm

I thought the same thing but I even checked IMDB and the only thing he is doing a David O'Russell movie, maybe he came as Bradley Cooper's date because he is in the movie. They showed him so many times but I could never figure out what table he was sitting at but it appeared to be a good one!

biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 pm

In a similar vein, why was Elle McPherson there? She presented, apparently, but....why was she even doing that? Is she in something that's airing this year?
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 am

Elle is the host of NBC's Project Runway rip-off Fashion Star which premieres in March.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am

Ah, I thought it must be something like that. Thanks!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 am

I gave up on asking why because I never get a good answer as to why Jessca Alba shows up to anything. Her and Jessica Biel.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:05 am

dreago wrote:I gave up on asking why because I never get a good answer as to why Jessca Alba shows up to anything. Her and Jessica Biel.

Because they're both smart enough to know the clock is ticking, so they get in while the getting is, amazingly enough, still good.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey to host next years ceremony!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 am

...and for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to the Globes more than the Oscars.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 am

I find Tina generally insufferable, but Amy - who I've recently fallen wholly in love with - tempers that a bit. I am psyched, basically.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

I agree, Poubelle. My visceral reaction to Seth McFarlane hosting the Oscars was ew. My visceral reaction to this news is OMG AWESOME.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm good with both. It seems that the various producers are realizing that it might be good to reach the under-60 crowd.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:11 pm

I love them both, ESPECIALLY together, as they seem to have a really neat friendship. This is great news.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 pm

The Globes are always more fun to watch than the Oscars, anyway. This is doubly good news.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:18 am

YAY!! That is all.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down