Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dallas (TNT)

+12
kakalinadumox
Carrie Ann
TiffanyNichelle
dionneshea
big chicken
Shalamar
The Dude
bookworm
Heather
Fraoch
truecrystal
blixie
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dallas (TNT) Empty Dallas (TNT)

Post  blixie Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah I'm redonk excited about this reboot. I know it will probably disappoint, but still the TNT media campaign for the summer premiere is working like a charm on me (seeing them at the SAG awards tonight was kick). As is the fact that they've got JR/Sue Ellen/Bobby, it seems to be a fairly un-ironic recreation of the original which I appreciate.

I'm dying to see grown up John Ross, I hope they cast him well, because that kid should have grown up to be a 20 different kinds of screwed up.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dallas (TNT) Empty Re: Dallas (TNT)

Post  truecrystal Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I am so excited about this to the point I've been following the production news like crazy. So far the casting is cheesy delicious and I'm waiting with baited breath for Lucy or one of her trashy kids to show up.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 am

The early trailer that came out a few months ago had me as soon as I heard "John Ross" (because I always giggled that even as an infant, the poor kid was always "John Ross" and not given a pet name or anything). And is anyone better at shooting smouldering glances across the room than Linda Gray? Can't. wait.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 am

Okay so after the first two episodes I'm game, there was enough double crossing and I like the alternative energy angle, somebody got tied up and videotaped during sex, but who cares about that JR Ewing is back y'all and just as awesome as ever. "Me and her daddy go way back" made me clap gleefully. Ah sometimes you just need to watch some tv that doesn't make you think even a little tiny bit.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:00 am

A pissed J.R. is going to be even more entertaining than he usually is. I'm definitely in for the summer.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Seriously, I was so happy I clapped at the THEME SONG, dammit. And the first time Bobby went all Bobby on us. And then JR! And Sue Ellen! Even Ray was there. Bless. It says a lot that I don't particularly care for either Josh Henderson or Jesse Metcalfe in regular life, yet I liked them both fine on the show.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm

eriously, I was so happy I clapped at the THEME SONG, dammit.

Hee for me it was a "hell yeah" fist pump! And it got great ratings. I think, relative to other cable shows, or say anything on NBC.

I think they did a great job blending the familiar and well loved original cast with the newer players. The only thing missing is Cliff Barnes, even if they can't get Ken Kercheval, I hope they kind find a younger actor who fills the same niche.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:13 pm

I never watched the original, but I think the male leads are pretty, so I'll still watch.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:59 am

"Now Bobby."
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 am

I got chills at the theme song. [/dork]

I stopped watching in the late 80's, so some of the "Christopher isn't a real Ewing" is going over my head. I could've used the Glee voice-over guy saying "Here's what you missed on Dallas" to give me a quick recap.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:53 am

I had to rely on Wikipedia to figure out Christopher is not Bobby's biological son but he is John Ross' biological cousin through Sue Ellen. Sue Ellen's sister, Kristen, is Christopher's biological mother.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Josh Henderson is the weak link on the show for me right now. I'm loving the rest of it, but his ability to emote is limited. Love having Bobby and JR back on TV, though. Those two will never quit.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Every time he had a whiskey, I knew something big was about to happen.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Just got caught up and I also got happy as hell just from the theme song. The kid playing John Ross is hilariously bad but in an awesome way, and I like the vibe between him and Jesse Metcalfe's Christopher. But forget all that, JR is back y'all! "Everybody knows I didn't care much for the first Mrs. Bobby Ewing." OH JR DON'T EVER CHANGE!

I love it that they seem committed to letting the older characters play just as much as the newbies, and JR, Bobby, Sue Ellen and company are holding their own quite well. As long as the double dealing and suspicious glances stay at a premium, I'll be in for the long run. And I hope they try to bring back as many of the original cast as possible. Like, Priscilla Presley as Jenna Wade.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:35 pm

I just found out that Linda Gray is 71. HOLY SHIT.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:17 am

I don't know if Jordana Brewster has just lost a lot of weight, or if her veneers are 3 sizes too big, but her face is distracting. It looks painful to speak, like her lips can barely get over her teeth.

Otherwise, um, yeah. I'm basically in for sure on this one. JR is such a goddamn delight and I missed him terribly. I do wish they'd cast based a little more on charisma and ability than on soap opera good looks, because Josh Henderson does not have the same It factor.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  kakalinadumox Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:27 am

Does anyone know if the original series on DVD? I feel like I might enjoy it's 80s campness.

kakalinadumox

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:09 am

kakalinadumox wrote:Does anyone know if the original series on DVD? I feel like I might enjoy it's 80s campness.
I was surprised Hagman could go again after he had that liver transplant in the 90's.

Trim those eye brows JR.

I forgot how much fun Dallas can be.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:55 am

The entire run is on DVD -- I was thinking of requesting them from the library to enjoy while working.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:39 am

Okay, y'all have talked me into it. This sounds like some good summer fun.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Carrie Ann, thank you, I had the EXACT SAME ISSUE with Jordana. She and Sue Ellen maybe went and got their teeth at the same dentist. It's really distracting. She's the lady version of NFL commentator Cris Collinsworth, who ALSO appears to be talking around his teeth all the time.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Right? And it hasn't always been that way. In the last year, my husband watched all the Fast/Furious movies, and the difference in her face from the first and the fifth was kind of shocking.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 am

There are five things that defined my childhood television experience:

1. Princess Diana's wedding.
2. Winds of War/War and Remembrance
3. The Day After
4. North & South books I&II
5. My weekly appointment night-time soap viewing with my mother--Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, and Dallas. The hair. The jewels. The vileness of JR. My weird child-crush on Cliff Barnes and his ever-present 42 fingers of whiskey. (I still don't get that--I watched Dallas etc. with my mom from ages 7 to 13 or thereabouts and it was CLIFF I liked? What a weirdo.)

To say I was stoked about Dallas is putting it mildly. And I am so, so sad, because I think my ability to enjoy this strange campiness has been ruined by all of the experiences I've had watching television in the decades since those shows aired. I watched five seasons of Nip/Tuck for chrissakes--you'd think I could put up with the cheesiness of JR Eyebrows and Bobby Plastic Face for two episodes. It's like the show is taking itself too seriously and not having any fun with itself. People, it's DALLAS, not The West Wing. We're supposed to be delighting in evil. Or something.

And I'm really disappointed that the John Ross is evil because he desecrated South Fork and not because he contaminated a struggling town with fracking fluid or somesuch. Forget oil in Texas, writers. Join us here, in the new millenium, where evil oil/gas is represented by fracking and devastating offshore drilling spills, or even wonky oil price manipulation in the face of the 200 wars we're fighting in the Middle East. I would much prefer that the dynamic between John Ross & Christopher involved them BOTH taking the business in new directions--just very, very different ones.

*sigh* I intend to watch a few more episodes, but if I see another printed email I might cry.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 am

but if I see another printed email I might cry.

Whereas for me the idea that the big DRAMA is *WHO sent the email full of LIES* is so fantastically silly and absurd I can't not love it.

And I have to say I actually DO think Henderson has charisma, but so far that's ALL he has. I thought he brought significant chemistry with almost every female on the show and if you can't be JR Ewing/Larry Hagman, at least generate sexy times fun, and I did think he was able to communicate some vulnerability when Elena was all I am only with you because of THIS EMAIL full of LIES!!! that you totally sent, and John Ross was all, I, I had nothing to do with THIS EMAIL full of LIES!! I would never use EMAILS full of LIES how could you think that about me you Christopher lovin' BITCH?!

I know I'm excited for this show when I woke up all: It's DALLAS DAY!

Also also, how funny is it that Arrested Development's Marta I (aka Hot Marta) is playing Faux Marta here? Ha!

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:13 am

WTF is with all the random "Pam ran off/Pam disappeared/the Ewings ruined Pam" references in tonight's episode? The Pam of yore would not simply have abandoned young Christopher, even if she were leaving Bobby.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum