Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Killing

+4
xyzzy
MichiSichi
LadyGayle
jensa
8 posters

Go down

The Killing Empty The Killing

Post  jensa Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Yep, I am going there again.

To recap, I enjoyed the first season and LOVED the ending.

And now, its back. I felt it was a strong opening with good points and bad points but mostly good. I knew Holder was not a “bad guy.” My feeling all along was that he was being played and since he was just happy to be getting a second chance, he was willing to cut corners and trust those he thought were “helping” him. Poor guy. Hopefully he can get through to Linden soon enough. I can see why she doesn’t trust anyone, but at some point she will have to confront him.

And Belko was truly crazy.

Stan needs to stop talking to the police and Russian mobsters and start talking to the media. Tell them about the backpack. Bet he gets his police protection then.

Linden is a really horrible mother. Tell your whiny son that you both could be in danger and that he needs to stay put. Order him a damn pizza. And what about her boyfriend? I know he was close to writing her off at the end of last season, but hopefully she gave him a courtesy call at some point.

I really do love this show.

jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

The Killing Empty Re: The Killing

Post  LadyGayle Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:47 pm

I don't get why Linden doesn't just let the kid go to his dad already. He'd be happier, probably safer, and out of her hair so she can go all-out into obsession over the case. Is there something hugely objectionable about the guy that I'm forgetting? All I really remember is that he was Helo fromBattlestar Galactica.

So the mayor, or at least his head flunky, is behing the conspiracy? I don't think that really makes sense. Why go to such Byzantine lengths to set up Richmond for Rosie's murder? Wouldn't just revealing the fact that he frequented the Beau Soleil prostitutes be a much easier way to guarantee he lost the election?

Count me in as relieved Holder isn't really a bad guy. He was my favorite character.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am

I should give this show another try, the episodes I saw were pretty good.
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 am

All I really remember is that he was Helo fromBattlestar Galactica
Actually, I think he was "Number Two," AKA Leoben.

Last season really pissed me off--not so much because of the cliffhanger, but because of the unrelenting and intrusive moving-to-California plot thread. If she wasn't on the phone with the airline or her fiancee, she was talking to someone about her travel plans, driving to or from the airport, fighting with her son about moving, etc. It made me want to punch the writers in their collective throats.

This season's opener left me cautiously optimistic. There were only two or three lines about the airport in the whole two hours. :) Though I am now concerned that the situation with her kid and his dad will be the new plot thread of unrelenting irritation. I'll feel better when Linden & Holder are back together.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am

Actually, I think he was "Number Two," AKA Leoben.

Heh, no Leoben/Callum Keith Rennie was her rightfully irritated fiance, her baby daddy/ex was Tahmoh Penikett/Helo. Linden is one LUCKY bitch.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 pm

I think BabyDaddyHelo just abandoned them at when Jack was a baby and never called or paid child support or anything, and then just showed up a few weeks ago wanting Jack to be part of his new family.

Holder really broke my heart at the end. I think he is trying to be a good cop, but knows the odds are stacked against him. And now he has pissed off the one person who almost trusted him.
jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Heh, no Leoben/Callum Keith Rennie was her rightfully irritated fiance, her baby daddy/ex was Tahmoh Penikett/Helo. Linden is one LUCKY bitch.
Holy shitballs, she totally is. Now I do vaguely remember telling my mother last season that it was like a Battlestar Galactica reunion show, what with Callum, Tahmoh, and Michelle having parts.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't get why Linden doesn't just let the kid go to his dad already.

Because he's HERRRRR SONNNNN!

... yeah, I don't know why, either. As the parent of two teenagers, if I were up to my armpits in a very high-profile case, the last thing I'd need is one of my kids moping around and saying how much their life sucks.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Well, I was happy with the ending. It really felt like a series ending, not just a season ending. I know the ratings weren't great, so I will be very surprised if it gets another season.

The twists at the end were pretty good. There were still some threads that were dropped, but whatever. I really did love this show and will miss Holder most of all.
jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:14 pm

jensa wrote:Well, I was happy with the ending. It really felt like a series ending, not just a season ending.
Yes, definitely. With the way Linden got out of the car and walked away, I was thinking the series creators clearly aren't expecting another season.

I was a bit taken aback with the killer's reveal happening pretty much right off and was wondering what they were going to do for the next 40 minutes. But overall I think the episode hit a lot of good emotional points. The whole bit with Terri was great, I thought (loved the music during her confession and the flashback to what actually happened at the lake) and the idea that she had no idea who was in the trunk was a great punch in the gut. Many people speculated that she knowingly had something to do with Rosie's death but I never really bought that. So this was, to me, so much worse.

Darren deciding to embrace who he really was was also a nice twist. I was expecting him to take the high moral road and step down, something like that, but clearly Jamie's words rang very true to him.

Of course, the show being what it is, I had to scratch my head over seeing the Chief and Ames (I thought it was him) come strolling into the meeting at the end. I mean, with Terri's confession, I would think that, at some point, both of them would have to be charged with something, Ames moreso than anyone because he was at the lake when Rosie was killed. Then again, in the world of The Killing, Stan's arrest/charges for beating that teacher appears to have been completely forgotten so there you go.

Anyway, I never hated this show like so many other people seem to, and to me the addition of Holder and the relationship of him and Linden really anchored a lot of the episodes. I liked seeing that develop and the actors seemed to work very well together. I'll miss him, too.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:37 pm

the idea that she had no idea who was in the trunk was a great punch in the gut. Many people speculated that she knowingly had something to do with Rosie's death but I never really bought that. So this was, to me, so much worse.

See to me it didn't because while yes, it does suck that she "accidentally" killed Rosie, she did knowingly kill someone in attempt to keep her man. And then had no problem looking her sister, Stan, and her nephews in the eye and as they mourned and looked for answers when she in fact had them all. Not to mention her silence led to an innocent man being dragged through the mud and nearly beaten to death by her brother-in-law who should be going to prison, etc.

Last edited by biakbiak on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Oh, for sure, biakbiak. I thought it was worse on top of that - like, she decides to murder someone just to keep Ames, which is horrible in and of itself, but then to know that she unknowingly did this to her own niece just ramped it up for me as a viewer even more.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:49 am

I thought the ending was alright, but I'm not entirely sure where they're going next. (Has it been renewed? Or is it on the bubble?)

My mother summed up my experience with this show when she asked me, at the beginning of this episode, who that girl screwing around with the two brothers was. "Rosie, mom." "ooooh, yeah." She'd also completely forgotten Linden's boyfriend/psychiatrist from Season 1.

I can remember characters from shows that last aired 20+ years ago, but for this show I kept having to use shorthand--grey-haired political boyfriend guy, grey-haired detective guy, gray haired Richmond opponent guy, grey-haired father guy, bitch chief Indian, bitch security Indian--etc.

Still, there was a lot to recommend the actors, if not the show. I can't wait to see Joel K. (Holder) in other things. Maybe not his next two projects, though. (Eesh, Snabba Cash II and Robocop?)

So yeah. I'm ambivalent.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm

biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content