Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looper

+3
laddical
slmader
Fiammetta
7 posters

Go down

Looper Empty Looper

Post  Fiammetta Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:40 am

Saw it today. It was smart, carefully plotted, and the time travel aspect was done far better than I've seen it done.

JGL is not a ringer for Bruce Willis, but I could respect the work that went into making them look somewhat similar. The movie could have used more than the one big scene between them.

Obviously the very end was
Spoiler:

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Looper Empty Re: Looper

Post  slmader Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 pm

I saw it too, really liked it, and
Spoiler:

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 am

This is what I posted on my Facebook a few minutes ago:

Oh, "Looper". Why did you have to go and suck so thoroughly? I don't know anything at all about Rian Johnson except that he's the first name in the end credits under "Written and Directed By", and with only the text of the film before me to go on, I have to say - the man is a moron who doesn't give a shit about science fiction in general or the fine art of time travel stories in specific. I hate that this movie exists. I hate that it had such potential and then squandered it - like a person displaced in time by Weeping Angels (and oh, god, the most nonsensical paradox in "Doctor Who" looks positively straightforward compared to the great heaping pile of stupid that is this movie).

Now that I've gotten the initial reaction out of my system, I will say this: "Looper" is the kind of movie that, if I'm given a proper frame of reference for it, I might one day say, "Oh, I get it now. Cool." Maybe I'm just "interrogating the text from the wrong perspective." If that phrase can be applied to any story, it could possibly be this one. But until someone shows me the Rosetta Stone that makes the bullshit paradox at the core of this movie make even as much sense as the "Terminator" series then I stand by my initial reaction: Rian Johnson, your time travel movie is bad, and you should feel bad.

I wanted to love it. I am a time travel junkie. But this movie makes no sense. Terminator is founded on a paradox, but it's a closed loop - self-sustaining, if you will. No matter what anyone does, Skynet sends a Terminator back to kill John Carter who grows up to destroy Skynet and send his dad back in time to give birth to him. This movie... none of it happened. And yet it all happened. Even though the driving force for the main action of the movie no longer exists at any point in the movie.

I'll say this though - it made more sense than Time Cop.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am

I saw it last night and liked it! It made sense to me, although I haven't bothered to really parse it to make sure the theory works - suspension of disbelief comes in handy. What I really didn't believe was that 60-something Bruce Willis would pull a gorgeous woman at least 20 years younger than him - as Bruce Willis the movie star, sure, but not as some schmo. But the kid actor was quite impressive - my friend and I each had and discarded the thought that perhaps he was a little person, because his acting was so mature.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I wanted to like it more than I did. The main performances were all good, but the time travel stuff didn't make sense to me. The first thing that I kept on asking (which then bugged me for the whole film) was this - how come Jeff Daniels and his crew know straight away when a loop hasn't been closed?

And aside from cool visual effects, what exactly was the point of the
Spoiler:
stuff?
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:12 pm

So Li'l Hitler could be murderous without having to actually do anything active.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:19 am

Another thing that didn't make sense to me was
Spoiler:
Obviously we wouldn't have had a film without it, but it seems to be asking for trouble from a process perspective..

This article points out many of the issues I had with the time travel (and some other things with the film in general)
20 things Rian Johnson should've avoided
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 am

Epudom I think it's
Spoiler:
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Awww, I loved it, but I'd decided not to think about the time travel logic too much based on things I'd read in advance of the movie. The actor who played Sid was one of the best child actors I've ever seen, which really made the movie work. Without him being natural and believable, both in his
Spoiler:
I don't know. Like I said, I tried not to think too hard about the logic.

Last edited by Carrie Ann on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I enjoyed it a lot but it definitely falls apart upon close inspection.
Spoiler:
What elevated it was the depth JGL brought to his performance and the amazing job by the kid who played Sid. (Honestly, I think they could have done without JGL's prosthetics/cgi-- the contacts would have been enough. I found the makeup on his lower face much more distracting than just suspending my disbelief would have been, and his acting could have carried it easily.) Emily Blunt was very good too, and seriously does Piper Perabo eat human souls because she has not aged A DAY. I thought the violence was disturbing and effective (as opposed to cartoony, which was more what I was expecting) and kind of made me nauseous.

Also I may have gotten something in my eye a little at the end. I know.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum