Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sci-fi and Fantasy

+7
Lurker
choubetcha
laddical
Disclaimer
Poubelle
Raksha
RiverThames
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sci-fi and Fantasy  - Page 2 Empty Re: Sci-fi and Fantasy

Post  allochthonous Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 am

Well, it's on the list - will let you know how it goes!
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am

Disclaimer wrote:
Lurker wrote:Has anyone read Guy Gavriel Kay?  The only thing I have read of his was the Fionavar Tapestry which I loved, but I don't know which book to follow it with.
I think I've read most if not all of his books. We might have different tastes, because I didn't love Fionavar that much, but I really loved the two books in the The Sarantine Mosaic series. Also The Lions of Al-Rassan is a great standalone which features three compelling protagonists, one of whom is a female Jewish-analogue doctor, another of whom is based on El Cid.

I didn't much enjoy Tigana, which is set in a mediaeval Italy analogue. I thought the main characters we were supposed to be rooting for were kind of dickheads.
I've read his early stuff....Fionavar through to Lions. I liked all of them. Tigana is probably the best, technically speaking (most inventive, best plotting, etc.) However, I really liked Lions a lot, and Song for Arbonne was also fun. I had trouble with the 2-volume Sarantine Mosaic, but I think I just wasn't in the mood. His more recent stuff I haven't tried, but my husband said the Viking book Last Light of the Sun was ok, and that the modern-setting fantasy Ysabel was fantastic. Neither of us are interested in the Chinese setting of his most recent book(s?), so no advice there.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:23 am

I finally started reading the Vorkosigan books after having them on a vague "to read" list for the better part of a decade, if not a decade, and they're very good like everyone said. However, I failed to absorb through internet osmosis that the first book starts off with
Spoiler:
heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu May 29, 2014 9:26 am

Just read the new Dresden files book Skin Game. It was pretty awesome. There were a few bits where I (figuratively) raised an eyebrow, one of which was called out fairly amusingly later.

I have mixed feelings on
Spoiler:

No mixed feelings on
Spoiler:
That was just fun.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2