Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work of Art: The Next Great Artist

+7
whatthedeuce
molliewollie
Salieri
Jessica
Corvus
biakbiak
punkysdilemma
11 posters

Go down

Work of Art: The Next Great Artist Empty Work of Art: The Next Great Artist

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:20 pm

This show makes me giggle. I was *almost* sad when they eliminated Ms. Hipster Glasses Intestines Aficionado last week after she turned in her latest completely un-self-aware depiction of bleeding innards. After only two episodes! We could have had six more versions of guts in a bag!

Also love Simon. Simon is very worried about you people.

Link to previous thread

Last edited by punkysdilemma on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Work of Art: The Next Great Artist Empty Re: Work of Art: The Next Great Artist

Post  biakbiak Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm

I actually really liked her piece last episode; however I am fine that she is gone because it would be boring with the same thing over and over again.

I like Jerry's blog on NYMag and find it interesting that he finds the work look very different. That still doesn't explain Bayete's piece.

I find it really interesting how they are shooting Leon and his interpreter, I sometimes completely forget who the
Middle aged white dude lurking at the edge of the screen.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

A Show I Want: Story-Swapping over Lunch with Messers De Pury and Gunn.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:58 pm

I was SO relieved when they got rid of Hipster Glasses Intestines Aficionado. When she just BURST into those tears at her crit...I just couldn't even. I don't think she was untalented, but I did find her SERIOUSLY annoying. (I have great sympathy for her illness, btw, but I found basically everything she said grated on me.)
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 pm

When she just BURST into those tears at her crit...I just couldn't even.

Oh my god! I can't believe I forgot to mention that in my post that was the most amazing thing ever! The phrase ugly cry doesn't even being to describe that cry!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Seriously, how is that not a .gif yet?? I can't find it.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Salieri Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh god that Kathryn thing was SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I loved how a couple of the judges turned away and started studying the floor when she burst into those violent sobs. I would die from mortification if that happened to me. Still, though, between the emo hipster look and the obsession with her own intestines, I'm glad she's gone. She's an example of an artist who is incapable of moving outside of her pet theme. She even got feedback that she was repeating herself and just insisted that she HAD to get this out, like it was calling to her. Plus, did I hear her say she had to go "chant" after the judge's lineup. Ugh, she's just too precious for this world. Glad she's gone.

I laughed that one of the guys from the losing Team Moon Circles or whatever was criticizing the winning team's playground theme as "childish". Did he notice that one of last season's contestants rode that "twisted childhood carnival" theme all the way to the finals? The judges eat that shit up.

What is the name of the paper artist, the one who won the first week and was in the final two last time? I like her. I was worried when she started talking about poop, but she rallied and created something neat and interactive (and slightly dirty - it did crack me up that the male judges were the ones all weirded out at handling the "balls" of her sculpture).

I think my favorite thing was how the judges were quick to call everyone on their bullshit when they started waxing poetic moronic about the moon and digestion and migration or whatever. Instead of paying obeisance to the faux-depth, they were like, "Yeah, that's stupid. And it has nothing to do with the challenge." Hee.

I was all ready to pre-hate The Sucklord based on...well, the fact that he calls himself "The Sucklord", but also because he seemed like the kind of contestant who came on the show as some kind of ironic meta-statement on reality TV. (Which is part of the reason why I loathed Miles last season - I could smell that on him.) But he's actually been applying himself - he acknowledges the weakness of his Gandalf figure for the first challenge, and he was one of the ones who was actually paying attention to the parameters of the challenge and saying, "Hey guys, let's focus on this MOTION thing."
Salieri
Salieri

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 am

I'm no art maven but there sure was a lot of non-pop in that gallery. If I google "pop art" I don't see photography in the image results. I do see a lot of bright colors, which barely anyone used.

Do we have our clothes-free female artist of the season? Was Bravo already showing unblurred boobs in the art pieces last year? I can't remember.

punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  molliewollie Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:50 pm

I love The Sucklord and want to have his babies. For real-- he is everything I love in a reality show contestant wrapped up in a neat little package. I am 100% his target audience.

molliewollie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 pm

After blowing off S1 assuming that I'd find no interest in this competition, I have to say that I'm glad I tried watching S2 because it's really enjoyable. I don't know much of anything about art, so I thought I might not "get" the challenges or the works presented, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how caught up I am in the competition! I'll have to go find S1 and see it all now to find out what I missed!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33 am

I also love The Sucklord. I think it helps that he is so self-deprecating and sort of funny. In the ad for this upcoming week's episode, where he walked up to some little kid and was all, "Hey, I'm Sucklord," totally relaxed? I died. I think he's really entertaining.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 am

Just from the look of him, I thought the Sucklord would be a total asshole, but from having seen the first two eps, he's rather entertaining and honest. His self-deprecation is endearing and hilarious.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 am

Okay, I feel like I'm going crazy. I've seen every episode of the show, read all the recaps on AV Club and T. Lo, read the TWoP forums, and suddenly this week there's this extra woman on the show. I guess her name is also Sara? Sarah? I cannot remember a single thing she's done. I have no recollection of her at all! Please, someone, join me in this feeling of disorientation. (Or remind me of some of her art.)

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The winning and losing pieces were almost inverses of each other--both kids did a simple painting of vegetables, but Kimya took it in this awesome direction, and Tewz was very literal and dull about it. (It was funny how Sucklord's defense of Tewz was so articulate and impassioned, and right after that Tewz was all, "The kid drew the vegetables, and I made the ground they grew in! If the judges can't see that..." Tewz, I'm pretty sure we can all see that, and that was your problem.)

Honestly, Sucklord probably should have been sent home, but you know they're keeping him for entertainment value, all things being equal. I do find him entertaining. I was really hoping Bayete would continue to suck and finally go home, but his piece was pretty. Damnit.

I felt for Sara J. I thought her piece was actually really cool.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  paablish Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 am

I know there are two Sara/h's on the show because their names aren't spelt the same. One (Sara J) does pieces with a sexual, women objectified undertone (the woman as a pig on a stick over a fire) and the other (Sarah K) did the "and mouse" piece.

paablish

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 am

Sarah is the artist from Cleveland(?) who did the foreclosure pop art last week, did the shadow box art this week, and did the self-described "party banner" of her face as her self portrait!

I am just pleased that finally a show gives good beer for their contestants to drink! Go Dogfish Head!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:43 am

Oh, they really just should have put Sucklord out of his misery this week. That piece was not good. I don't think Bayete is all that either, but Sucklord's was crap and even he knew it. Hell, they should have double eliminated them.

I thought the winning piece was kind of cliche-tastic too.

punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:37 am

I never ever seem to correctly guess who'll be eliminated. I'm always sure it's gonna be this person, and it ends up being someone else instead. Though I actually enjoy the Sucklord's personality, it's rather mind-boggling that he seems to consistently be in the Bottom 3 and yet he still hasn't been kicked out. Do the judges just have that much faith that he'll eventually produce something phenomenal?

Also, I'm still saddened by Leon's elimination. There was something about him that I really felt drawn to, and I thought he really might produce some spectacular stuff if given one more chance.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am

The thing about the Sucklord is that his entire shtick as an artist is to recycle pop culture. It is no surprise to me that for every single challenge he has either made a copy of an inspirational piece or chosen the most obvious representation of an issue. When using toy figures as a medium of expression, I prefer pieces like Casualties of War to Sucklord's gay Stormtroopers.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  molliewollie Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I still love The Sucklord and am happy he's still around (and I look forward to his upcoming love triangle-- the man knows how to work a reality tv storyline!) but he is a shit artist.

I also kind of love how ridiculously pretentious-art-student-y Lola's titles are. Every week she busts out another 15 word title complete with punctuation and I snort every time.

molliewollie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:33 pm

I was watching the ep where Tewz got booted, and my mouth dropped when Lola mentioned that her mom dated Pacino for a decade, and then pictures of him with Kid!Lola actually flashed onscreen. WHOA!

And I can't believe I just barely noticed that the Sucklord is 42. I thought he was about 35 or so. Don't know how I missed his age appearing next to his name repeatedly. He really won me over with how badly he wanted to make a tree sculpture that would satisfy the child artist he worked with. The fact that he stood up for Tewz because he truly saw beauty in that "Grow" piece was also endearing.

Kymia's companion for the young artist's "carrot on the beach" watercolor was awesome! I wish I could own and frame that thing. I do feel sad for Dusty though who came thisclose to winning 2 weeks in a row. I really enjoyed his latest entry with the silhouettes integrated into the stark white U.S. Can't believe that thing didn't win!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Yeah, I think Dusty got jobbed on that one. IMO Young's piece won more by referencing Ai Wei Wei for a installation at a newspaper than actually being more compelling than Dusty's piece. Just like he won with the Prop 8 display over a piece with naked breasts in which the winning piece was going to be in a magazine. YMMV but I think both of those wins were biased toward what the winner wanted in their establishment than actually being better than the runner up. As to the Sucklord, I really thought I would hate him just judging by insisting on being called the Sucklord but he is the most aware without being a put-on reality show contestant ever.

Point of interest - Papa Wolf was a machinist and worked at the NYT on the printing presses for 20 years. I've been inside the Edison plant many times and it is truly like the Wonka Factory. The day he turned 62, they told him they were moving his job to the Brooklyn plant (where they shot this) and he told them, "Meh. Retired now."

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:07 pm

I think Young is a very talented guy, but both times he won, I felt like there was certainly something other than pure artistic merit influencing the judges. There was just no way in hell that Kymia's topless piece gonna end up in Entertainment Weekly, and the Ai Wei Wei piece made such a bold political statement about a fellow artist that the judges couldn't really help but be personally moved and biased toward it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 pm

This week: I really liked the tree/alien piece, and thought the adhesive tiger dicks were irritatingly pretentious.

I also thought Young and Dusty's idea sounded rather already-done and too wordy, but liked it a lot better when it was on the wall.

Not sorry to see Sucklord go.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 am

The thing that has been bugging me this season is how most of the art lacks craft. Young and Dusty's idea was ok and looked fine on the wall, but all they did was run the posterize filter on some shitty photos in Photoshop and then blew it up for the installation. Last week Lola traced newspaper photos (badly) and wrote words on them. The tiger c*ck installation was childish in conception and execution. I realize that I'm biased--I tend to respond more to representational works than conceptual ones--but I haven't seen much this season that shows evidence of mastery of material/medium.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Sucklord's subtle responses to his offing. Heh.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum