Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice Columns

+90
mandalaya
Agent_Squeaks
naughty zoot
salamandersam
Coneycat
katesti
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
draco vulgaris
Snarryfan
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Author By Night
snorf
nazlan
SelfAmused
Cynara
epudom
choubetcha
vwlphb
chibimanda
Gillian
xyzzy
blixie
laddical
maxell131313
Disclaimer
Jamie
PrincessCleo
pinguerin
Cutebutpsycho
Tabby
Never Enough
lisa
Ji Xiang
eventide82
jstilwe
mialoubug
Decca
Raised by wolves
Morning Angel
tothemax
laurelin_kit
dinahmoe
QueenSix
BreezyK
ActonBell
bluebird
year of the cat
dreago
Matinee
Pop'n'Fresh
particle_person
Kiran
Jessica
Shadowlass
mrinsouciance
LadyGayle
mo pie
Putli Bai
Crackie
bookworm
inversed
Crowbridge
MLIS
mokey75
Rhilin
Raksha
blooey
mayram
Instant Monkeys
Shalamar
Algae
biakbiak
Jasmine
Sheli
Lily Rose
The Lady of Shalott
punkysdilemma
Binky
oxymoron
Eris Rising
Poubelle
Gilraen
Genevieve
Miss Moneypenny
VodouDoll
The Glen
Unlucky Bear
punzy
94 posters

Page 4 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 37  Next

Go down

Advice Columns - Page 4 Empty Re: Advice Columns

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:28 pm

I figure, I clean your poop, I can call you whatever I want.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:47 pm

So the entire time that I've affectionately been calling Rocky "Dum-dum", I've been abusing him? I'll be turning myself in to the ASPCA now.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:51 pm

WTF is the response to this first letter. You'd think Dan Savage, being gay himself, would have some understanding of why a cis man who's only attracted to cis women would be perfectly correct to call himself straight and not queer. (How the hell does the term "queer heterosexual" even make a lick of sense?) It's great that the letter-writer is an ally and has been so supportive and involved, but that's not the same thing as actually being queer, and, y'know, facing the discrimination involved with that first hand. I am pretty sure a couple consisting of a cis man and cis woman is the sort of relationship that's perfectly accepted in just about every society ever. The polyamorous guy who's getting shit from his relatives for dating a married woman probably has a better hold on the word queer than the first letter-writer does (also, THAT guy's brother needs to get a grip. I think CPS has more important things to worry about, like, IDK, kids who are actually being abused or neglected).
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 am

The letter writer wants to know if he is discriminatory in not wanting a relationship with a transgendered person; and he is advised to stop identifying as straight? My head hurts.

Dan Savage is right about the second letter, though. It is about control. Those relatives don't give a damn about the children, they just want the letter writer out of the relationship because it might cause the family embarrassment.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Poubelle wrote:WTF is the response to this first letter. You'd think Dan Savage, being gay himself, would have some understanding of why a cis man who's only attracted to cis women would be perfectly correct to call himself straight and not queer. (How the hell does the term "queer heterosexual" even make a lick of sense?) It's great that the letter-writer is an ally and has been so supportive and involved, but that's not the same thing as actually being queer.

I don't get it, either. I thought being straight and nice to queer people just means being a decent person. I wonder if the lady in the article thinks that white students at historically black colleges and universities are of color, too. The letter writer is straight. He's not discriminatory, he's just not pansexual. Or maybe he is discriminatory, but I think you're allowed to be discriminatory when choosing sexual partners, on whatever criteria you want.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:07 am

punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 am

punkysdilemma wrote:What means this communicate?

I really don't understand how having a vasectomy could slip a man's mind. Especially since it's allegedly so traumatic! I do think a single person who does not plan on having (possibly more) children has almost a stigma attached to them in the dating world, sometimes, and I can see where it would be tempting to sort of fudge the truth there. But he had to know there was a possibility of it screwing him over completely.

The first letter here has me completely baffled. Your half sister was offended by something your grown child "supposedly" did to her, and stopped giving Christmas gifts. Okay. Possible reactions that spring to my mind? Bitching about her behind her back, asking your grown child what happened and trying to fix it, letting it go until your sister calms down. Reporting her for stealing office supplies never once popped into my head. Who does that? And she was stealing pens and post-it notes. Not exactly Xerox machines she was later selling on eBay.

And reporting someone to the IRS? Pure evil.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 am

Sheli wrote:
punkysdilemma wrote:What means this communicate?

I really don't understand how having a vasectomy could slip a man's mind. Especially since it's allegedly so traumatic! I do think a single person who does not plan on having (possibly more) children has almost a stigma attached to them in the dating world, sometimes, and I can see where it would be tempting to sort of fudge the truth there. But he had to know there was a possibility of it screwing him over completely.

Yeah, I agree, but it also sounds like she never actually had a real conversation with him about it. She just stopped taking her birth control and then assumed things would work out. So I think they've both failed pretty spectacularly on this one.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 am

Sheli wrote:
The first letter here has me completely baffled. Your half sister was offended by something your grown child "supposedly" did to her, and stopped giving Christmas gifts. Okay. Possible reactions that spring to my mind? Bitching about her behind her back, asking your grown child what happened and trying to fix it, letting it go until your sister calms down. Reporting her for stealing office supplies never once popped into my head. Who does that? And she was stealing pens and post-it notes. Not exactly Xerox machines she was later selling on eBay.

And reporting someone to the IRS? Pure evil.

Amy was WAY too easy on this crazy-pants. What a petty, vindictive brat!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am

I think they've both failed pretty spectacularly on this one.

Me too. I honestly don't know which one of them I dislike more. Frankly, I think they deserve each other.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I find Amy's second letter pretty ridiculous, too. So you took a 17/18 year old on a European trip where you all had a lot of fun together, alone, and you're shocked you haven't heard from him since he went back home for the summer to see his parents and his friends -- people he presumably hasn't spent quality time with in a while since he's been away at boarding school and then on a European vacation? And you're thinking of cutting off contact over this?

As awesome as my aunts and uncles are, and as much great stuff as they have bought me, I wouldn't really be thinking of them when I finally had the opportunity to spend time with the parents and friends I hadn't seen in a while before I went off again to college. I mean, yes, the kid should have sent a thank-you note, but I don't think he's the one coming across as the least mature person in this relationship.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:55 pm

and you're shocked you haven't heard from him since he went back home for the summer to see his parents and his friends -- people he presumably hasn't spent quality time with in a while since he's been away at boarding school and then on a European vacation?

Well given the letter states he is in school again, presumably months have passed and he didn't even acknowledge her birthday, I could see being hurt. So it seems more that they thought they had a very close relationship with him for several years and know because he doesn't need them for anything he doesn't acknowledge their existence.

The first lady is some crazy pants! I hope at least the office supplies were on a large scale thievery and there was some sort of investigation because otherwise that woman should look for a new job because if her employers just took crazypants word for it and it was some post-it notes, they are bordering as crazy as well.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

Second letter from Prudie, the husband of the writer pees in the sink both at home at at others' homes. That is so not ok. Especially at other peoples' places!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:00 pm

I know! And Prudie's all "oh well, urine is sterile" as if this is not A TOTALLY DISGUSTING AND WEIRD THING TO DO.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:04 pm

it’s not really so different from the gender-neutral indulgence of peeing in the shower.

WHICH IS ALSO GROSS. GOD. Is Prudie married to George Costanza?
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Shalamar wrote:
it’s not really so different from the gender-neutral indulgence of peeing in the shower.

I WAS GONNA SAY. Who the hell pees in the shower?

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Yes! Peeing in the shower is gross too! Also, urine is only sterile in the bladder! Once it is on its way out anything could happen.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Lily Rose wrote:
Shalamar wrote:

I WAS GONNA SAY. Who the hell pees in the shower?

Heh, Prudie apparently.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 pm

My boss is a hoooooooor

This sounds more like a spat in high school math class than a "major corporation."
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Oh, people. Will I gross you all out if I confess that, occasionally, I have peed in the shower? I swear it's not a habit! It's just...look, I've been pregnant four times. Sometimes, it just wasn't worth it to haul my massive dripping wet self out, mid-shower, to use the toilet. Hell, sometime I didn't have time.

Now that I've probably disgusted everyone, let me quote that ever-awesome move, Steel Magnolias: "He's a real gentleman. I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it."

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Meh, I'm pretty indifferent about peeing in the shower. I almost always pee before I get in the shower (the time between hearing the water running and waiting for it to get warm enough is just too long!), but I don't get what the big deal is? I guess if you were to pee all over the walls or something, but doesn't it go right down the drain and then you've got several minutes of soap and water following it. A sink is different because nobody washes their hands for 10 straight minutes after peeing.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm

biakbiak wrote:Well given the letter states he is in school again, presumably months have passed and he didn't even acknowledge her birthday, I could see being hurt. So it seems more that they thought they had a very close relationship with him for several years and know because he doesn't need them for anything he doesn't acknowledge their existence.=

What makes them seem unreasonable to me is... a few things, actually. First, that they apparently thought they were closer to him than they were. Just because someone spends the weekends in your house for a few months, that does not make you their surrogate parents. Second, they don't understand that a kid would want to spend his last summer with his parents and friends, not people he's only known closely for a few months, and is now wrapped up in his first semester of college at a difficult school. Do they even know that he knows his aunt's birthday? Third, their response is so OTT. An eighteen year old was thoughtless and immature?! Excuse me while I go grab my pearls. That doesn't excuse his inaction, but he may very well have no idea that a thank you is the required response. If they're really that close, they should have the nephew's contact info. Instead of cutting off contact (WTF?) the more adult solution would be to mention something to his parents or to call/e-mail him directly and gently explain that sending a thank you note (or at least saying thank you) is proper no matter how well you know someone, and she was hurt when he forgot her birthday.

I'm also annoyed that this kid sounds like an idiot, and yet they sound like such OTT drama llamas that they have me actually trying to see things from his point of view. I have no idea why this is bothering me so much, but it really, really is.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Shalamar wrote:WHICH IS ALSO GROSS. GOD. Is Prudie married to George Costanza?

I bet she takes expensive coffee table books into the bathroom, too.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:12 pm

I think I spent too much time as a kid camping and hiking and whatever to be disturbed by peeing in the shower. I mean, half the time the bathroom was "over there" (vague hand wave towards trees). I don't step in it? It's good.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Peeing in the shower seems way less gross than peeing in the sink to me, for one reason: there is no way that your urine will accidentally splash on someone's toothbrush in the shower. (Unless, I suppose, you are also brushing your teeth in the shower, which I have actually done. It's very convenient!)
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 37  Next