Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mad Men

+72
VictorLaszlo
katesti
Kookla
chick binewski
violetq
CaroJC
Wildog27
Author By Night
CindyMc
themis
dreago
salamandersam
jstilwe
Nerg
Menshevixen
laddical
Decca
inversed
bookworm
caerbannog
Luciano
Wilhelmina
jcpdiesel21
Mulva
Jamie
Snarker
Jordan Baker
Corvus
truecrystal
19uses
Fiammetta
emrie
curryalley
Lurker
formerlyrandom
Heather
Shalamar
pizzagirl20
Jessica
Renny Sue
choubetcha
LadyGayle
Crowbridge
SNeaker
darthtall
RiverThames
lisa
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
Jasmine
BrightEyes
Arabella
sunni94
Morning Angel
BreezyK
blixie
Auroura76
gannetguts
Fraoch
Francie Nolan
Kiran
Genevieve
Cynara
ActonBell
dionneshea
mialoubug
Shadowlass
mokey75
The Dude
punkysdilemma
bosoxgirl
Agent Sculder
76 posters

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Go down

Mad Men - Page 3 Empty Re: Mad Men

Post  Arabella Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:18 pm

lisa wrote:The thing I am most looking forward to this season is Don & Joan's inevitable affair. Both of them are aging out of their primes, both of them are off balance, and both of them are carrying around a hell of a lot of resentment at the world. That's going to create a false sense of intimacy, and with those two, there's only one place that can go.
Yeah, when Joan said, "I bet he looks so handsome when he blushes" or something like that, I got a feeling the writers were setting up something between them down the road.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Instant Monkey wrote: And everyone at the office, instead of being like "I know, what's up HIS butt, right?" sympathetically to her, basically treats her like she committed some gross social violation. Which she didn't! Normal people throw parties for their husbands (as she says) and even doing a little sexy dance at the party is daring and flirty but not outside the realm of normality. She probably thought it might ingratiate her with Don's (and now her, after her awkward promotion due to marrying the boss) colleagues, but instead they turned on her and now seem to see her as either a sex object (Harry) or unhinged. She put herself out there and it fell flat.

In all honesty, I think she did commit a pretty significant social faux pas. If she was participating in a fundraising cabaret it probably would have been fine, but it was a smallish party in their home sung directly to her husband, which made it seem personal, and a really inappropriate thing to do in front of colleagues. Of course it's going to change how people in the office view her! Even co-workers who aren't gross like Harry will think she has poor judgment, at least.

The '60s and '70s had a lot of groping around, so to speak, to see what was socially acceptable sexual behavior (...socially acceptable sexual behavior seems like a weird thing to say). I have the feeling this is a symptom of that as well as of misunderstanding between Megan and Don. (And in saying that, I really hope we don't see Pete and Trudy at a key party. Eww.)

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 am

Arabella wrote:
lisa wrote:The thing I am most looking forward to this season is Don & Joan's inevitable affair. Both of them are aging out of their primes, both of them are off balance, and both of them are carrying around a hell of a lot of resentment at the world. That's going to create a false sense of intimacy, and with those two, there's only one place that can go.
Yeah, when Joan said, "I bet he looks so handsome when he blushes" or something like that, I got a feeling the writers were setting up something between them down the road.

Oh, this is depressing. I do not want this show to go there.
Spoiler:

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:17 pm

So is the consensus that Roger knows that Joan didn't go through with the abortion? Was the "That's my baby!" comment impeccably timed or just coincidental? There was that line about Roger buying the baby a bicycle, so I'm not sure if that's telegraphing to us that Roger knows the baby is his son or if it's just Roger throwing his money around (as he often did in this episode).

Just in case there are people who don't know about them, Tom and Lorenzo's Mad Men post are terrific. There Mad Style posts, which analyze the clothing and sets of each episode, are my favorite.

"Zou Bisou Bisou" is never going to get out of my head, is it?

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Aurora76, if it's any consolation, Matthew Weiner is so spoilerphobic I can't imagine he would ever let something like that out into the wild before it actually happened, if it ever did.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Matthew Weiner is so spoilerphobic I can't imagine he would ever let something like that out into the wild before it actually happened,

Seriously, he went ballistic on critics who wrote how long the time jump was when reviewing the season premiere. Listing to the Sepinwall and Feinberg podcast before they show aired but after they had viewed their screeners was hysterical because they kept trying to say things about the show but also be super vague about it, so they would continue to get screeners.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:27 am

punkysdilemma wrote:Aurora76, if it's any consolation, Matthew Weiner is so spoilerphobic I can't imagine he would ever let something like that out into the wild before it actually happened, if it ever did.

Witness the absolute non sequitor previews.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 am

Francie Nolan wrote:So is the consensus that Roger knows that Joan didn't go through with the abortion? Was the "That's my baby!" comment impeccably timed or just coincidental?

I'm pretty sure Roger knows that Joan's baby is his son. Roger may be clueless sometimes, but I would guess he did the math and figured it out.

I'm going to disagree and say I don't think Joan and Don are going to have an affair. Although Lane had the line about being the only one who can resist her charms, I can't see Don going there with Joan. I think Joan is one of the few women Don sees as just a friend. Their chat at the hospital after the lawnmower incident just cemented their relationship. I think he respects the hell out of Joan, and wouldn't want to jeopardize her position in the office. On top of that, I think Don sees Joan as "Roger's girl". I'm SURE he knows they had a long-standing affair, and even though he and Roger don't always get along, I think it would go against Don's personal code to sleep with Joan.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 am

Interesting article from the NYT- the opening scene happened pretty much as written.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:09 am

Was anyone else as amused as me at how obvious it was that Fat Betty Body Double was a completely different human being than January Jones?
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Betty calling Don first with her news and asking him to re-assure her -that says a lot. I know she is a pretty awful person but good lord is she one miserable person.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:26 pm

RiverThames wrote:Was anyone else as amused as me at how obvious it was that Fat Betty Body Double was a completely different human being than January Jones?
We had to instant-replay that a couple of times, heh.

Oh Betty, you so lame. My fiance hates her and thinks her plots are boring, but I kind of like watching her awful depressing life in Henry's depressing house (contrasted with Don's fab new apartment, of course). I figured the thyroid nodule would be a false alarm and Betty would go on to make absolutely no changes in her life despite realizing how her kids NEEEEEED HEEEER. I guess we'll see.

Really liked Megan's refusal to put up with Don's impulse to stay home and sulk.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Genevieve wrote:Betty calling Don first with her news and asking him to re-assure her -that says a lot. I know she is a pretty awful person but good lord is she one miserable person.
I thought it was pretty telling that the kids didn't even cross her mind until Don asked her. I really disliked her storyline last night, but I am hopeful that it will be the impetus for something to happen. So many of the episodes early in the season are setting things in motion for bigger stories later. But there was about a .01 percent chance that she was actually going to have cancer, so I just kept waiting for them to get on with it.
Roger kind of breaks my heart. He's made himself irrelevant, so it's his own fault, really, but Pete's stunt was obnoxious.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm

I thought it odd that even though she didn't have cancer, she did have a benign something removed from her thyroid. Wouldn't that still help keep the fat on her body, if its unregulated?

I unabashedly love the character of Betty. I know she's miserable and childish and can't get out of her own way, but I like her. I find Henry really creepy. I want Betty to grow up and face the music, but I think she is one of the far more interesting characters on the show.

Pete's an ass. That was a really horrible thing to do to Roger.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Genevieve wrote:Betty calling Don first with her news and asking him to re-assure her -that says a lot. I know she is a pretty awful person but good lord is she one miserable person.

This was the most sympathetic Betty's been in a while. That phone call spoke volumes--I got a little misty-eyed when Don called her "Birdie."

I'm dying to see more of the Francis...Castle? Dungeon? I can see why Don referred to them as Morticia and Lurch last week. That house is like the fainting couch writ large.

Betty's face-fattening makeup was so distracting. It looked like they recycled Peggy's pregnancy makeup from season 1.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  darthtall Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:18 pm

mialoubug wrote:I thought it odd that even though she didn't have cancer, she did have a benign something removed from her thyroid. Wouldn't that still help keep the fat on her body, if its unregulated?

Not necessarily - I had a benign cyst on my thyroid a few years back, and it made for a big 'ol lump on my neck, but didn't affect my weight/metabolism in any way. Though, of course, anecdotes do not scientific data make, so you could also be totally right. :)

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh Rodger! I still can't get over the "darkest before the dawn" line!

I liked Tim Goodman's take, though I hope his speculation about Rodger isn't true though I could see it!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Heh. To most New Yorkers, "Don" and "Dawn" don't rhyme.

I just love the banter between Roger and Peggy. The back and forth about Peggy growing a penis was gold.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:33 am

I didn't see it that way. She went home to see Henry and only called Don once she realized Henry wasn't home. She was vulnerable and scared and needed someone to tell her she would be okay.

I'm already tired of the Roger/Pete battle. Yawn.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 am

Oh, my. Betty's husband leaving her while she hides under the covers in her unzipped dress, then transitioning to Megan blithely chatting in French while her dress slips effortlessly over her head and her doting husband zips the back ... man oh man, both delightful and ob-veeee-ous.

lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Does anyone know of a female recapper who is covering Mad Men? I love to read and talk about this show, but I'm finding my regular coverage a little too male-centric these days (I miss Emily Nussbaum at NYMag) - Todd VDW at AV Club, Sepinwall, Matt Zoller Seitz at NYMag, even TLo - it's all men! Any recs would be appreciated!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Mo Ryan over at HuffPo recaps Mad Men, along with a lot of other shows. I always enjoy her recaps, even when I disagree with her.

Last edited by LadyGayle on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Deborah Lipp from Basket of Kisses is also recapping over at Press Play.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:12 am

Joan Holloway No-Longer-Harris, YOU ARE A GODDESS.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 am

Another interesting episode. Really dark, but absolutely riveting. I kept waiting for something terrible to happen. I really loved that Dawn had a bigger part in this episode, and it was interesting to see her with Peggy. That moment when Peggy realize WHY she was worried about her purse and that Dawn knew why she was worried about it said so much.

The whole thing with Don was just straight up creepy, but I figured it all
Spoiler:

And Cynara, I agree with you, Joan rocks! I am THRILLED for her.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum