Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Les Miserables

+39
particle_person
sen3
mrinsouciance
Binky
bookworm
Cynara
rivki8699
Gillian
QueenSix
Morning Angel
CaroJC
Coneycat
RiverThames
orange
nazlan
katesti
Instant Monkeys
Sheli
punzy
whatthedeuce
Matinee
Kiran
MLIS
Case
Francie Nolan
big chicken
queenofdenile
Esseilte
Grainne Mhaol
Fiammetta
bbridges
ulkis
inversed
ActonBell
Shalamar
laddical
blixie
Wildog27
swsa
43 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Les Miserables - Page 5 Empty Re: Les Miserables

Post  swsa Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:03 am

Most theaters wouldn't list it this far out. But my guess is it will open very wide.

I'm also a little concerned about Barks. Her voice is lovely and I'm glad to see she's refined her performance since the 25th Anniversary, which I thought was AWFUL, but...eh. I don't know. She seems to be adequate but not exceptional. I can really see how Hathaway and Redmayne are elevating their characters, while she doesn't look to be bringing much to the table. However, it's just a 1 minute clip, so we'll see.

I did read a review that spoiled that
Spoiler:
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:14 am

That's disappointing, if true. I was thrilled when I read the script and

Spoiler:

I read at least one previewer refer to Barks as a 'breakout star' for what it's worth.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 pm

swsa, I don't think that's a sign. The way the script set it up, that scene isn't necessary, and as for the other part, it's always been a little awkward that Eponine shows up there, so I can see why they take her out.

Amanda Seyfried: hmm, high pitched and weird.

At least her acting's nice, I guess. And she looks really ethereal.

I'm kinda bugged by all the lip biting and shaking and swiping at the face Hathaway is doing.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm

ulkis wrote:swsa, I don't think that's a sign. The way the script set it up, that scene isn't necessary, and as for the other part, it's always been a little awkward that Eponine shows up there, so I can see why they take her out.

Yeah, I've honestly never understood her inclusion at the end, from a story perspective anyway. After all, if the end is about ferrying Valjean off to his richly-deserved reward, what's the girl who had an unrequited crush on his son-in-law doing there?

nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:41 pm

nazlan wrote:After all, if the end is about ferrying Valjean off to his richly-deserved reward, what's the girl who had an unrequited crush on his son-in-law doing there?
Hee, that's a good point.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I've actually read a lot of reviews that are saying Barks might sneak into supporting actor. Like shes not going to dethrone Hathaway at all but that she might get them two nominations for them in that category.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  orange Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Banana Republic's giving out free passes to this today. One per person, no purchase necessary, so if you're going by a store it might be worth popping in. Despite my dislike of Russell Crowe I am getting ridiculously excited about this. 21 days to go...

orange

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm

A Les Miserables Advent calendar. Today's offering: Which song are you most excited to sing along to?

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am

For me, this puts to rest any fears that Russell Crowe can't sing:

The Confrontation - Live
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 am

He sounds...okay I guess, but that's the most talk sing kind of song. LORD Russell Crowe is such a cheese bag, but he and Hugh are cute together. Also I have never disputed Crowe is great actor so I'm always pro actor over singer when it's a movie musical.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm

I watched an interview with him in which he was analyzing the character of Javert and he said that (no spoilers for the movie in particular if you already know the story)
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Samantha Barks looking absolutely stunning at the New York premiere. Why can't I be her?
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Shalamar wrote:For me, this puts to rest any fears that Russell Crowe can't sing:

The Confrontation - Live

He sounds good, but he didn't in the clip from the film, which concerns me. Also, why is he bobbing about? Weird.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by Crowe in that clip, but we'll see. I remain unconvinced. As blixie said, that is the most talk/sing song. But there were moments/notes that were definitely better than I was expecting.

As for the bobbing about, I read a comment on another site (maybe it was the Advent calendar?) that said something like "at least now we know what Russell Crowe looks like when he's singing karaoke." Hee.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 pm

http://thecraptacular.com/2012/12/31-moments-in-les-miz-the-movie-musical-that-will-melt-your-fangirlguy-mind/

spoilersssssssss

The few reviews I've seen so far have all basically said the movie is the same as the musical which makes me want to scream with irrational fan rage, lol. Have any of these reviewers even SEEN the musical? I don't think it's a requirement but you'd think at least one would have. I mean for me
Spoiler:

I'm not mad at reviewers for not liking anything, just annoyed that none of them notice these pretty (imo) significant changes from the stage

this made me laugh (no spoilers)

Fangirl Mind-Melter #08
Oh shit, Anne Hathaway! – Look, we got it, you’re so tired of hearing about how Anne Hathaway stopped eating and sucked weight like a wrestler and suffered for her art so she could be the best Fantine that ever there was that you want to punch her in her overlarge mouth. And you’re nervous as fuck, cause you heard that totally unmixed cut of the trailer a few months ago and she sounded like hell, and like… Patti LuPone, man. Patti LuPone. But trust us. You are about to have your mind blown. And not just because of “I Dreamed A Dream.” Anne is actually kind of perfect.

and just to expose my whole crazy obsession, because I've already gone this far, if you have Turner Classic movies tomorrow at 8 pm eastern they're showing three old movie versions. The only one really worth watching is the last one but it's going to air at midnight so if you're interested record that shit. Or ya know. If you're on the west coast watch it a bit and then record it.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Fangirl Mind-Melter #31
The blonde can stay. – There are a lot of miracles in this movie, but here’s our favorite: Cosette didn’t make us want to stab her all that much. Dull as a dairy cow, this character does nothing of note except fret, shiver, and wear hats. And furthering Victor Hugo’s point that there is truly no justice, she doesn’t even die. But in the film, Amanda Seyfried manages to be sweet without being cloying, and she sings nicely enough.

Bleah. Hush up, catty Broadway fangirl. I've always liked Cosette, and I'm glad she's finally getting her due.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

Cosette's always bored me (probably because I'm so biased towards Eponine), but I suspect that Amanda Seyfried will make me sympathize with her. She looks a solid Cosette.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 am

I wouldn't mind Cosette being called boring if Marius was called boring too. It's not like he's exactly a fountain of excitement either.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:44 am

Marius is no big shakes either. I think what makes him interesting though is once his friends are all gone, and you see the pain he goes through. That's when the character comes to life, IMO.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 am

Marius is boring. Seriously, he and Cosette coast through all the shit.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:56 am

As long as I get equal hate, I'm happy, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 am

See, I'm weird, because I've also always liked Marius and find Eponine a trial to be endured.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:59 am

I like Marius, but I don't think he's by any means exciting or anything.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 am

It depends on whether we're talking about book or musical. I think all of the characters in the musical are pretty blah except for Javert. Book I like everyone.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 am

I was just about to ask how the characters in the musical differ from those in the novel!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum