Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elementary

+28
Cynara
Mulva
MichiSichi
biakbiak
dionneshea
Corvus
ulkis
mrinsouciance
killershrew
sagitare
Gallifrey Girl
Tabby
Coneycat
blixie
big chicken
Charishawk
rivki8699
truecrystal
bookworm
xyzzy
puddingcup
Cutebutpsycho
QueenSix
Kiran
Fiammetta
Raksha
Unlucky Bear
Lily Rose
32 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Elementary - Page 2 Empty Re: Elementary

Post  big chicken Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 am

I really like Alfredo from the latest episode and I hope he's a recurring character. He can be part of Elementary's version of a Baker Street Irregular.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 am

a) Sherlock is so very emotionless (even Holmes in the stories cared about some people and stuff) and b) he's SUCH. A. DICK. Like, if I could pause every few minutes and punch him in the face, it would be a much more enjoyable viewing experience. Heh.

This so much. It's that combination of coldness and meanness, yes we get Holmes is socially inept and therefor a rude dick a lot of the time, but Bumberbitch's Holmes is so...hateful really, that I can't believe he likes anyone or actually cares about the murders he solves, where as JLM I think shows that yes even though it's a puzzle/game jolly to HIM or lock to unlock, that he is also actually moved by the loss of human life. (and maybe that's built with this canon having Irene dead)

The my only bummer about Elementary is that it's on CBS and is super CBS-y, they will procedure you into a coma.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Yeah. I'm OK with the procedural, but I wouldn't mind an episode where it's Holmes and Watson snowed in and snarking while drinking hot cocoa.

I like Alfredo, but there's a thought that I saw on Tumblr that intrigued me. What if he turns out to be Moriarty? I think that could be really interesting in a way -- getting close to someone just to keep an eye on them.

I should add I like Sherlock, but with the wait out until 2014 (and you can say you're three 90-minute movies all you want, but when you're airing them in a row, that's not a movie in my mind) makes me kind of forget about them. Which is fine by me, given the Sherlock fandom is cray cray.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:33 am

Alfredo as Moriarty is a genius idea! But I doubt they'll do that. The series seems much too predictable for it.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm

blixie wrote: Bumberbitch's Holmes is so...hateful really, that I can't believe he likes anyone or actually cares about the murders he solves,

That's exactly the right word for it. He seems hateful. And Sherlock Holmes was never that.

I like Alfredo too, and could be happy with him being a part of the BSI!

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 pm

What I like about Johnny Lee Miller's Sherlock is that he's insufferable yet capable of compassion. I really liked it when he sat with Joan when she was waiting for her ex to show up at the rehab center.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri May 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Season finale was last night, and as someone who was very dubious about the wisdom of this show (I was really, really worried Watson would spend all her time teaching Sherlock to negotiate his FEELINGS and Lucy Liu would be wasted) I've gotta say, I was wrong and I really enjoy this show. I like the friendship between Sherlock and Joan, and the way Watson is taken seriously as a student detective with some talent.

Do we know yet whether it's been renewed?

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Do we know yet whether it's been renewed?
I thought I'd heard that it has been.

I agree with you, Coneycat, I had deep reservations before the show started, and I'm really happy I started watching. I like what they did with the characters, and I enjoyed the season finale a lot. And let me say here, THANK THE DEITIES that they didn't end with a cliffhanger.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Fri May 17, 2013 5:10 pm

I felt the finale was really strong. Johnny Lee Miller's acting was great, IMO. I did call Irene being Moriarty early in the episode, but when it happened I liked her character even more. I found her Midwestern accent really over the top and shrill, so I was really glad when she started speaking in a British accent.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sat May 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I got really behind on this series - like sixteen or seventeen episodes behind. I was finally able to get back to it a few weeks ago, and watched a couple of eps a day until I was caught up. I *really* enjoy it. I think JLM does an amazing job.

Loved the finale. Got a giggle from Sherlock's crack at the impractical shoes that the Watson women wear. Discovered that Clyde the Tortoise has his own twitter account!

Every time JLM has his shirt off, I have a new found admiration of the make-up artist on Frankenstein, who was able to cover his tattoos up so well, particularly considering he gets wet during the show.

Glad this show got renewed!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat May 18, 2013 4:42 pm

LOVED the finale. I didn't think they'd go with the Irene=Moriarty, but I hoped they would. It was awesome.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue May 21, 2013 12:27 pm

io9 has a great look at Elementary.

I particularly liked this line:
Holmes's arc is defined not by detective work, which starts and stays excellent, but by his progress in valuing Watson.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:io9 has a great look at Elementary.

Holmes's arc is defined not by detective work, which starts and stays excellent, but by his progress in valuing Watson.
That was an excellent read, and so much of why I like this show. Thanks for posting it!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:io9 has a great look at Elementary.

I was reading this earlier and I loved that line as well. Overall it's a good, thoughtful article. I liked the comments about where CBS will take this next season vis a vis their whole procedural concept which the author noted kind of hamstrung some of the momentum/development of the show in the first season (to some degree I'd agree with that, I think, but fortunately the cast is good enough to mitigate the effects of it). I hope there is more working outside the formula box because this show can definitely benefit from it.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Wed May 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Okay, we finally watched the finale last night, and I have a question. The part where Sherlock notices that the pattern of moles on Irene's back is different -- why exactly did that tip him off that she wasn't completely on the level?
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed May 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Because she had gotten one removed at some point since they'd seen each other last, and if she were a prisoner that whole time, why would her captor bother?
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 am

Aha! That was the missing piece. Thanks for clearing that up!

Is it just me, or do other people really have to crank up the volume on the TV to watch this because everyone seems to be mumbling all the time? I feel like I miss a lot of stuff just because I can't hear what the characters are saying.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 am

I thought it was just me and my lousy hearing but, yes, I've noticed that too.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Ver, ver interesting. Rhys Ifans joins Elementary. I've always enjoyed him in films, though recently all I've heard were stories about how horrible a person he is.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 am

I could ship Joan and Sherlock. But I could also ship Joan and the cute website guy and Sherlock and Moriarty. I know she's evil and all but. I liked that last scene of him reading her letter.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:54 am

Natalie Dormer was in a Mystery! series on PBS a few weeks ago, and it took me awhile to figure out that where I'd seen her was as Moriarity from Elementary. She has very striking elfin eyes.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:38 pm

I disliked the pilot of this show so much that I thought I would never watch it again.  However, my family liked it and kept watching, so I ended up seeing a lot of the first season by default.  I think it improved by leaps and bounds, and I'm now actively watching season two.
But I could also ship Joan and the cute website guy
 At first, I guessed that he was really Sebastian Moran, but having two love interests in a row turn out to be eeeeeeevil would be a bit of overkill.  Plus, Sherlock would never stop gloating over how right he was that all love is DOOMED and FAKE.  Now, I'm wonder if he'll be the equivalent of Mary Mortsan, and Joan and him will have a nice, normal, happy relationship that proves Sherlock wrong.

Of course, I may be overthinking this, and he's just Cute Website Guy with no book canon equivalent.  However, we've already met Mycroft, Moriarty/Adler, and M(r)s. Hudson, so it's possible.  (Plus, I can't think of any other major book canon characters left besides Moran and Mortsan.)

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 am

I'm fairly sure that Sebastian Moran turned up last season (he was "M" the supposed serial killer that Sherlock thought killed Irene).
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Played by Vinnie Jones, no less.

Liu and Miller are very good at their jobs. I do appreciate the show going the extra mile to cast guest stars equal to their talents. Due to budget, ego or whatever, some shows tend to coast.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I still say that Elementary approaches the relationship between Holmes and Watson in a better, more nuanced way than Sherlock. If I could meld the writing and story of Sherlock with the character development of Elementary, it would be awesome.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum