Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 22 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  puddingcup Mon May 13, 2013 10:03 am

Hey! I just checked that out of the library!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Is the Meyer Borgia book good? I've heard mixed things.
I'm enjoying it. It can be a little slow going at times, what with the descriptions of Heavy History, but I think it's interesting. I'm a big fan of the way Meyer follows his primary narrative with the "background" sections, which tend to be lighter in tone. He's done that in his other books, too.

Putting What Matters in Jane Austen on my list!
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I just finished Admission, and man. I am having a difficult time trying to understand why the hell they made that book into a movie, because it was boooooring. It started off ok, but then it was like the same thing 3000 times (did you know there's no magic formula for being admitted to an Ivy? Because if you didn't, the author will tell you over and over and over). And then the whole
Spoiler:

I am annoyed that I paid $1.99 for it. Bah!
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon May 13, 2013 5:27 pm

I just bought Reconstructing Amelia based on the rec, and also because Nicole Kidman is producing an HBO movie based on the book.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 pm

I was thinking of rereading all of Austen's novels this summer so maybe I'll take a gander at What Matters In Jane Austen right before that.

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am

MaddyCat wrote:I am almost finished with Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and it has been incredibly good. It's about a somewhat aimless young woman whose lack of money forces her to take a job as a caregiver to a wheelchair bound man--who does not want to live anymore. It builds slowly and hits all the good emotional buttons (for me at least) without being manipulative. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but it has been a very good read. Recommend.

Ok, every single time I love a book from this thread, the recommendation comes from MaddyCat. I think you need to be my personal book shopper from now on. :)

I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book and I really don't want it to end, I'm so enjoying it. Though it's kind of hitting me in a personal way as I can relate to the aimless Louisa who doesn't do a whole lot and I feel kinda guilty thinking of all the time I waste when there are people who CAN'T do a whole lot but would like to.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue May 14, 2013 3:15 pm

The Shadow of the Wind is slow going now. It's one of those books where it simultaneously feels like nithing is happening even when something is. I must say that the character of Fermin is very vibrant and unique. He really blazes with life unlike lots of the other more taciturn characters populating the story. And the writing is beautifully evocative as well. It's not exactly an exciting read, but the prose is quite pretty.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 pm

I finished Reconstructing Amelia last night. I mostly liked it, but I kind of thought it fell apart at the end. Like
Spoiler:
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Ugh, I hate when a perfectly great book winds up with a disappointing conclusion. Memoirs of a Geisha is the first novel I can recall where the ending really soured my enjoyment of the book, which had been great and plausible up til then.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm reading Under the Dome and am about half-way through. Frankly, I'm about thisclose to looking up the plot on Wikipedia, because I'm not sure anything scary or paranormal or science-fictiony is ever going to happen. After the Dome appeared in the first 10 pages, it's been nothing but Unpleasant People Behaving Badly, and I don't know if I can sit through 1,000+ pages of just that without knowing I'm going to get some weirdness/horror payoff.

I've been saying this for many years, but King's publishers did his readership no favors when they let him dispense with an editor.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm

There is some sci-fi at the end, but otherwise, no. It's pretty much just about the horrible townsfolk trying to cover up their dirty laundry while the noble stranger tries to help a few locals figure out what's happening. The sci-fi doesn't kick in until the last 100 pages or so.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon May 20, 2013 4:54 pm

The last few weeks have been quite hectic Guiding wise with camp and everything (and this weekend we have Brownie pack holiday, God bless my soul) so I picked up Nora Roberts' Whiskey Beach because I wasn't really up for more than a nice story where nothing too strenuous for my brain happens. I enjoyed it. It was a good read. Nora knows how to deliver.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 am

laddical wrote:There is some sci-fi at the end, but otherwise, no. It's pretty much just about the horrible townsfolk trying to cover up their dirty laundry while the noble stranger tries to help a few locals figure out what's happening. The sci-fi doesn't kick in until the last 100 pages or so.
Suddenly the TV series became a million times less appealing.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Yeah ... well, if it helps, they're supposedly going from the premise and then going off-book from there. How different, I don't know. But I do know that it came up because of the
Spoiler:
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed May 22, 2013 12:31 am

I haven't read Under the Dome, as I'm not a King fan. But if you're interested in the premise, check out Welcome to Our Village, Please Invade Carefully. Aliens invade, as a test bed they seal off one slightly cliched English village. It's entirely composed of the most obvious softball jokes, but that said, it's funnier than I make it sound.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 am

The new Sookie Stackhouse was meh. Since it's also the last Sookie Stackhouse you get a sort of greatest hits parade of pretty much everyone she's ever interacted with. Actually it was pretty dull with not a single surprise.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 am

So, last night I read The Lost Girl. A girl is created to be an echo of another girl, who lives half a world away. The echo studies everything about her Other's life - her siblings, her friends, her likes, what she reads and watches. If her Other doesn't finish Bridget Jones' Diary, well, neither does she. One day, the Other dies and she's expected to go and step seamlessly into her life.

This book was really well done. The characters feel fleshed out, the world feels real and there's a ton of pulling at your heartstrings. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it and I was on the verge of tears throughout most of the book. The echo feels trapped by her life and I really felt for her lost and confused feelings.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed May 22, 2013 2:06 pm

After reading y'all's comments about Under The Dome, I went ahead and read the plot synopsis. Well, allrighty then. I'm still reading the book, but skimming through annoying parts, figuring I won't be missing much.

You know,
Spoiler:
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Well, it's not exactly
Spoiler:
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Wed May 22, 2013 3:30 pm

naughty zoot wrote:The new Sookie Stackhouse was meh. Since it's also the last Sookie Stackhouse you get a sort of greatest hits parade of pretty much everyone she's ever interacted with. Actually it was pretty dull with not a single surprise.

I agree. Dull, dull, dull. I was also not impressed with
Spoiler:

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed May 22, 2013 6:36 pm

Algae, that book sounds like exactly what I want to read in the summer so thanks for the rec![b]

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm currently slogging my way through And the Ass Saw the Angel, or, Nick Cave Tries Really Fucking Hard to Be William Faulkner. I love Nick Cave like a pothead loves Doritos, but he makes some questionable creative decisions. All the Southern accents are written phonetically, including the first-person narration. I'm not offended by the idea of some guy who's not even American trying to capture Southern dialect; it just makes it hard to read. I have to wonder what made him think this was a good idea.

(Okay, okay, I know the answer's probably "drugs", but still.)

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm embarrassed over my excitement at getting word from the library that my inter-library loan copy of Remember Me by Christopher Pike had come in. I started it tonight and despite not having read it in many years, I'm totally familiar with every freaking word.

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite of the Christopher Pikes, which I used to devour back in the day.

Has anyone read the 2 sequels (of which I had no idea til I looked up the original on the library site!)? Are they any good?

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 am

I HAVE I HAVE. I don't remember the third one very well, but I LOVED the second one. A lot.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 23, 2013 12:54 am

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite of the Christopher Pikes

I prefer Bruce Greenwood. Jeffrey Hunter was okay, but I can't stop picturing him as Jesus.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next