Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Detective

+12
particle_person
biakbiak
caltrask55
naughty zoot
Kookla
sagitare
jstilwe
Binky
The Dude
emrie
Fraoch
blixie
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

True Detective - Page 2 Empty Re: True Detective

Post  particle_person Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:29 pm

I marathoned the whole thing yesterday and today, then watched the finale live. Wow. That was some awesome cinematography, and music. I think they could make a killing with an album.

Things I did not get: why did the man with the scars talk like a fake Englishman?
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Because he was totally off his rocker and he was watching a lot of British film/tv, is my guess. I think he was specifically meant to be imitating the movie he was watching -- something with Cary Grant, maybe North by Northwest.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 am

Ha, yeah there was a lot of me going: 'WTF. WTF. WTF!" re: Errol and his creepy creepy creepy everything, but apparently, during that particular sequence in the house a TV was on and North by Northwest was on, and he was imitating Cary Grant. I think it was meant to show how easily he could pretend to be what he wasn't, as he may need when preying on his victims and hiding from those who hunted him.

That scene when Rust said don't move, and he just said, "No." Sheeeit. So scary, he was basically Jason without a mask. Matt really has to have the Emmy in the bag, I loved that Rust suddenly went all Contact on this motherfucker and was able to finally mourn his daughter and losses.

I can't say how HAPPY the ending put to rest the idea that Marty's daughter Audrey was sexually abused by the cult and or her Grandfather. Seriously internet, you were wrong, try to move on.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am

A little more information about the British accent, courtesy of Alan Sepinwall's interview with series creator Nic Pizzolatto:

The short version: as part of the backstory Pizzolatto sketched out for the character, Errol has difficulty speaking in his natural voice due to the injuries that scarred his face, so he taught himself how to talk again by watching old movies.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 pm

I must be a pretty ridiculous viewer, because when Errol started talking in a British accent, I was like "OMG he's BRITISH!!" and was (for some strange reason) thinking it was some kind of awesome twist. I don't know why.

I love how it ended. It was unexpected (really, really expected Rust to die, as he apparently did too). The speech about his daughter was unreal, and so incredibly bittersweet. I think perhaps Rust had not come to terms with how much he missed his daughter. I mean, he had in a flat, depressive "nothing is anything, and everything is a flat circle that doesn't matter" kind of way, but that's not the same as acknowledging, "I love her, I miss her, I wish I could be with her again" like, dare I say, a normal human being. Catharsis.

Carcosa was totally effing scary. I was sure both of them would be lost in the maze and no one would ever find their bodies. Also, "take off your mask" is a direct line from The King in Yellow. Just a tidbit.

My only qualm is that Matthew M. was mumbling so much at the end, I had no idea the last word he said was "winning" until I came on the internet. Ruined the poignancy a bit.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Kookla wrote:

My only qualm is that Matthew M. was mumbling so much at the end, I had no idea the last word he said was "winning" until I came on the internet. Ruined the poignancy a bit.

Agreed. I had to rewind it three times before I deciphered it. My guess it the editor was still blown away by his performance three minutes earlier. Which was just amazing.

Is True Dectective considered a miniseries? My understanding is it will have another season with a new cast, a la that Ryan Murphy show about witches whose title I can't remember.

Mostly I am trying to figure out if Matt is in competition with Bryan Cranston come the next Emmys or if they will be in different categories.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:09 pm

jstilwe wrote:A little more information about the British accent, courtesy of Alan Sepinwall's interview with series creator Nic Pizzolatto:
That was an interesting interview, particularly the reply to last question. I felt like this show had some of the same dynamics as Lost with regard to audience interaction with the story, but unlike Lost it ended after just eight episodes, before people even had their mythological treehouses fully built. The reactions to the last episode that I'm seeing are JUST like after Lost ended. Some people are being realists and saying "well how else could it possibly have ended?" and others are very disappointed because the last episode couldn't live up to the expectations generated by the rich mythology in the world-building.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm

I think my issue with the show is that the first few episodes did a great job bundling the mystery with the interpersonal stuff, and then toward the end it was ALL interpersonal, and then ALL mystery -- or, you know, less of a balance. When Marty's family showed up and were all worried about him, I was like, "Oh, right." And I didn't buy it at all. He acted atrociously to the wife, and slapped his daughter, and I am not sure that what FELT like a sunny ending for them was entirely earned (or necessary).

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I didn't see that reunion as "sunny" I saw it played as awkward and obligational? I mean no matter how ticked off you might be at your dad/ex for being a douchenozzle, I think if he just almost died in while catching a serial murderer I'd probs still visit and support him.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:07 pm

I agree; things still seemed awkward, and I thought the shot of his ex-wife's wedding ring was a deliberate reminder that he'd lost her and she wouldn't be coming back. To me, that felt more like closure to their relationship than anything else, and I thought his breakdown at the end of that scene was meant to be his realization of how deeply he'd screwed up his relationships with his family. At the end, really the only person he has is Rust, and vice versa; I loved their dysfunctional hospital-break ride off into the night.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm sick and feverish, which is probably the ideal state to watch this show.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I thought the ending was kind of a let down because it seemed like the story was about blowing open a huge conspiracy of powerful men and taking down the Yellow King and instead they shot and killed an incestuous landscaper.  They solved the Dora Lange murder but the Marie Fontenot stuff was left unaddressed. There are a lot of gaps to fill in yourself.  

All that said, the acting was phenomenal and the interpersonal stuff with Marty and Cohle was powerful.
I thought his breakdown at the end of that scene was meant to be his realization of how deeply he'd screwed up his relationships with his family.
Agreed.  I think that was the first time Marty was brave enough to acknowledge that he had he hurt them instead of living in his usual narcissistic pity party.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 pm

The image that is staying with me from this show is when they're in the hospital parking lot and Rust grabs Marty's arm as he goes to wheel Rust away, like he was suddenly afraid of being left alone again. After Rust's breakdown it felt like the first true moment of actual connection he's had with anyone since his daughter died. Hell, it was probably the first time he wanted one, even if it may have been a subconscious gesture on his part.

I thought the ending was perfect. As a variety of articles pointed out, both men got to a place where they were able to accept a bit of grace and see themselves for the men they had become and, having seen that, start to become a little bit better. Rust's speech about his experience was so moving. I'm sure it was the first time he allowed himself to be the grieving father he thought had been buried under all the booze, drugs, and nihilist philosophy. The same for Marty as he lay in the hospital bed grieving the family standing around him.

The last line was perfect, particularly coming from Rust. I mean, I gasped when he said it because I'm sorry Rust, did you just say something optimistic? But it was also just a lovely image to have in your mind and a nice touch to wrap up a fantastic story.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:37 pm

particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Heck yeah, baby, we're back!

I have no idea what's going on - I need to get everyone's names and stories straight and it may take a second watch - but I am loving the mood. Those long eerie shots of the highway from overhead - it reminds me of the Shining, in terms of building dread and suspense.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:26 pm

I have no idea what's going on either, but honestly that's how I felt for 99% of the first mini-series (series my ass, HBO). I do miss Matthew Mcconaughey, though.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:19 am

I'm pretty underwhelmed so far, though the second episode was a HUGE improvement on the first. It feels like S2 has all the flaws of S1 amped up to 11, and none of what made it work in spite of those flaws: immediately great performances, and a singular and stylish vision behind the camera.

I think McAdams is doing the best of the four leads if only because she's quiet/circumspect and doesn't have to sell a lot of Pizzolatto's overheated/stylized dialogue. I think this year is strange for me because I'm actually most interested in the plot/mystery and less immediately compelled by the characters and their relationships. And while I don't think Velcoro is dead, it strikes me that I don't really care if he is or if he isn't, because all three of the cops are just...there.

What's carried me through the two episodes are the side characters: Ray's partner from Deadwood, Paul's mom Gillian Darmody, Rick Springfield's amazing shrink, and most of all Ritchie Coster as the pickled corrupt mayor, he totally evoked Rust Cohle last night when he was talking about his son and the deep trip, and tracing the unseen web. Heh. Also thought that might have been a clue that his son is involved in Caspere's murder. He says his son is "a destroyer", and wants to pin Caspere's death coming from his personal pocket. IDK I think since the murder mystery is the only real hook I have I might be stretching to see that as directly relevant.

Oh and I love the hell out of Lera Lynn's bar chanteuse, I want to go download everything she's ever put out.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Can someone explain the investigation to me? Like, I know they're trying to find who killed Casper, and he had Vince Vaughn's buy in for the train, but I'm not sure why the Mexicans were shooting everyone up or who set fire to the car or if that missing girl had anything to do with any of it. Basically, I'm still not sure what's going on.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:08 pm

The Mexican's were set up for Caspere's murder, and then the Mexican's were tipped of that the cops were closing in. My loose theory is that Catalyst is behind most of this, and used the Mayor and his son to carryout the dirty.

No one involved (The State, Vinci, CHP) want to solve the case for "reals", they are all vested with Catalyst and the train deal which I suspect that Caspere was going to blow up somehow, whether if only to help himself/Frank or because he actually had conscience about something going down.

The Mexican bloodbath in the street was meant to leave no one who could talk who would be credibly believed, the three cops are going to be blamed for loss of cops/civilian lives w/o actually getting their man, the head of the gang, but TPTB will be able to say the Caspere case is closed, and everything can go back to SNAFU.

But those are all guess as this season is a hella hot mess. And I love you Taylor Kitsch, but you doing a bad job with a sorry excuse for a character, the closet full of cliches that is Paul. Sigh.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Thank you for that. It does clear some things up.

This season is a hot mess. And the acting, aside from Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams, is WEAK. And I'm usually a Vince Vaughn defender, but some of those scenes this week were PAINFUL. The writing isn't helping.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:36 am

Thank God Colin Farrell got rid of that mustache. That is the deepest feeling I have about this season so far.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2