Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glee

+58
QueenSix
Author By Night
punzy
particle_person
sunni94
KaveDweller
ActonBell
Heather
skittlebox
jensa
Binky
Case
Escape
MaddyCat
Ji Xiang
Renny Sue
blixie
Muggsy
Never Enough
Unlucky Bear
Shalamar
jstilwe
choubetcha
Wilhelmina
VodouDoll
dday515
katesti
Raised by wolves
Scarlettfish
Shadowlass
Corvus
punkysdilemma
Snarryfan
naughty zoot
Caramel Coffee
pizzagirl20
Eris Rising
mrinsouciance
TiffanyNichelle
laurelin_kit
Gillian
curryalley
mialoubug
MLIS
Swarley
Instant Monkeys
Esseilte
Ceci
Poubelle
caltrask55
eventide82
RiverThames
MichiSichi
SNeaker
dionneshea
epudom
Kiran
queenofdenile
62 posters

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Glee       - Page 6 Empty Re: Glee

Post  Corvus Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Wow, that was cringe-inducing. "Everyone is Christian at Christmas" to me always reads as 'the one time of year the foolish non-Christians come to the their senses.' Bad enough Rachel and Puck, but Kurt, it seems to me, could not have sat still through the Peanuts ending to the already bizarre production.

When did Blaine become a bit of a dim-bulb? (Young Burt Reynolds? Really?)

Just what was CHORD OVERSTREET! referring to when he said "Best Christmas Ever"? Or was that supposed to be delivered ironically. "I'm away from my family who was depending on my stripper money, standing in the snow with a creature from another world (Ireland, which apparently doesn't have Christmas) and the two biggest idiots I know, after spending quality time with the two biggest psychotics I know (though apparently Quinn got better) and singing the most horrifically patronizing song possible in that situation. Best. Christmas. Ever."

Sidenote to QueenofDenial: It is thoughtless and irresponsible to link to the Great Yawning Black Hole on a Wednesday, no matter how perfectly appropriate, because some of us still have work to do this week.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Ha! My apologies.

Also, apparently we're doing "Rachel learns a lesson about being selfish" stories every three episodes now? Good to know.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 pm

I was fine with the goofy absurdity of the whole thing, but "Do They Know It's Christmas" sung at a homeless shelter? Seriously? That's a song that you sing to rich people to convince them to give money to poor people, not one that you sing to poor people to express how generous you're being.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I didn't watch, but was it presented as them singing to poor people to remind the poor people that people in other countries are even poorer, or did it seem like they were singing the song as a reminder to themselves to look after the less fortunate? Because the first is grossly offensive but the second is more just...stupid offensive.

I don't know why I'm bothering to give them the benefit of the doubt. Call me curious.

Last edited by queenofdenile on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

That was painful even given I fast forwarded much of it. Bah humbug.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Poubelle wrote:(Also, Glee? Might want to check the Salvation Army's stance on folks like Kurt and Blaine. Not that mixed-up messages are a new thing here.)
That was my first thought, all right. Do some homework, Glee.

The minute Sue mentioned a homeless shelter I knew how the episode was going to end. Very, VERY bizarre song choice, too.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:45 pm

I have figured out one thing about this alternate Glee universe: There are no copyright laws or fees, since they were able to bring in the show for under $800.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:53 pm

I didn't watch, but was it presented as them singing to poor people to remind the poor people that people in other countries are even poorer, or did it seem like they were singing the song as a reminder to themselves to look after the less fortunate? Because the first is grossly offensive but the second is more just...stupid offensive.
Pretty sure they were going for the second, honestly. All they said about it was that it was meant to be the ending for the Christmas special.

I was shaking my head, but not because I interpreted it the first way, but because I find that song (however well meant) to be lyrically awful and self-righteous, and the way they were smiling and happy as they sang about the "bitter sting of tears" and the "clanging chimes of doom" was just bizarre.

A better way to incorporate it would have been that it wasn't "volunteering at a shelter," but performing at a fundraiser or something, so that there was a non-homeless audience for them to sing it to, and they still could have held and hugged the remarkably clean and healthy looking homeless children.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:30 pm

If they'd been inspired by the song to go and help, I would have seen the point. As it was, as nicely as they sang the piece, it was offensively self-congratulatory.

EDIT: That's too bad, since I thought that the rest of it was at least mildly entertaining, and I enjoyed the bizarre mash-up of the Star Wars Holiday Special with the early 60s vibe of the costumes and setting. In fact, I would totally watch a black and white show of Kurt and Blaine welcoming visitors to their ski chalet.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:02 am

I thought the Christmas special part was a lot of fun. I always enjoy an especially cracked-out Rachel, and that was the version of her that I liked best during the special, all big-eyes and exaggerated mannerisms.

I guess I never really think about the problems with Everyone is Christian at Christmas as I was born and raised Buddhist, but we always celebrated Christmas (and still do), probably because everyone around us was. My hometown is like, 95% Christian of one denomination or another, and all of us that weren't Christian just celebrated along with the rest. I mean, presents. Presents are good. All Buddhists have in December is Bodhi Day and all that got us was a potluck dinner. But I digress. My point is, my impression of Lima is that it's the same approximate size and has the same diversity as where I grew up, and would therefore be somewhat similar (though, now that I look it up, Lima is under half the size of my hometown, but the theory would apply), so I didn't have that big of a problem with everyone celebrating Christmas.

Which isn't to say that with two Christmas episodes thus far and only one fleeting mention of Rachel and Puck's Jewish beliefs, that the writers aren't being incredibly lazy. Like, honestly. But of all the sins that they're committing on this show lately, it's one that I can let go.

As for the rest of it, I found the songs were much more enjoyable on the show than they were just listening to them when they first got released. As a Joni Mitchell purist, I really wish that Rachel hadn't sung "River" as it's my favourite Joni song and I hate to dislike anything Lea sings, but I just really dislike any other versions. But I liked the rest. And I continue to enjoy Rory. I know I'm in the minority there, but I find him kind of adorable.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 am

I know several cultural Jews who still don't celebrate Christmas. Because they're Jewish. And somehow their stories never get told on television.
You know what I'd like to see on television? One of the holidays that's actually as important to Jews as Christmas is to Christians, instead of the minor holiday we often get to see because it conveniently occurs around the same time as Christmas. (But hey, I grew up with relatives who argue that making a big deal out of Hannukah is capitulating to the exact same pressures that lead to Jews celebrating Christmas.) Having a character say "Happy Hannukah!" and Sue point out that it's the time of year Jewish kids feel awkward was really all the attention Hannukah needed, imho. I think if they tried to do more than that it would've felt like a condescending jab at multiculturalism, and there was enough condescension to go around with the ridiculous performance of "Do They Know It's Christmas." (And snarryfan is right on the money about what sort of Judiasm an interracial gay couple would practice. I doubt her dads would ever talk about putting the "Ch" back in Channukah and the X back in X-mas, y'know?)

Glee handles its Serious Issues so poorly that I'm perfectly fine with them doing little more with Jewishness besides Puck's mom guilt-tripping him into dating Rachel back when. (I mean, the last episode to really deal with Jewish stuff was what, the nose job one? Yeah, like that's not already dancing on the stereotype edge.) This week held up to the usual Glee standards for continuity (especially for something that was clearly meant to be a standalone episode), and Rachel seemed too in-character (and too Peanuts Lucy) to be a merely be a greedy caricature. I mean, yes, it was one of the many times her confidence and determination turned into entitlement, but hey, that same confidence and that same determination seem to be a big part of what makes Finn like her.

Last edited by Poubelle on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 am

They could have established Rachel early on as being kind of "mixed religious" due to her ethnically mixed dads. I mean, Lea Michele certainly celebrates Christmas, since her mom is Italian. But they didn't do that. She told Finn she wants to raise her children exclusively Jewish, and in last year's Christmas episode she said that she does not normally give/get Christmas presents, and that her family does the "Chinese food" thing. It does not appear that they celebrate Christmas in the Berry household. (And I would find it hilarious if Black Berry was the one who was more enthusiastic about Judaism than Berry White.)

I don't think this show needs to do any kind of sensitive portrayal of any Jewish holiday. And it's not even so much that they needed to make a big deal of Hannukah, it's that there's something weird about two very vocal Jewish characters suddenly going quiet at Christmas, and a Jewish lead female demanding tons of expensive Christmas gifts and needing to learn about the true message of Christmas. It's also my impression that Jews in small towns like Lima do make a bigger deal out of Hannukah than say, I do here in Jewtopia Brooklyn, not just because of capitulating, but because it's a way to hold on to their Jewish identities in a community where assimilation would be all too easy. (Much like the original Hannukah story...) And it often is one of the few holidays they celebrate. Actually, we probably celebrate on about the same level, it's just that observant Jews celebrate other holidays way more while secular or cultural Jews ignore a lot of them. Even the whole "going out for Chinese food" thing... there's a reason that became a tradition. Plus, this show used to be good at being funny at sending up cliches. I still think that the Simchas Torah screening of Schindler's List leading to Puck's assertion that his dream about Rachel was a message from G-d to get into her pants was the funniest sequence this show has done, after "Run, Joey, Run."

Hell, if I were to write a Glee Hannukah episode, it would involve Rachel giving people annoying lectures about Hanukkah and trying to teach everyone terrible songs, Puck boasting about how the Maccabees were the most badass of badass Jews, a Menorah lighting, a party at the JCC they're forced to attend and therefore drag the Glee gang to, Puck running an underground high-stakes dreidel game (and/or wanting to play strip dreidel), and everybody getting drunk on Manischewitz wine.

And it's not like these "Christmas-only" episodes have been any good. They've both sucked. Throwing in Puck rebelling against all the Christmas stuff is one way that it could have been made funnier.
Rachel seemed too in-character (and too Peanuts Lucy) to be a merely be a greedy caricature.
I don't remember Rachel ever being greedy before. Demanding expensive gifts from a boyfriend she knows can't afford them...that would have bothered me even if she weren't Jewish because it's not like her at all. I could see Finn feeling pressure because Rachel's demanding that the gift has to be "romantic" and "sentimental" and "PERFECT," but not expensive. No, once again they had the idea for a plot, chose which characters would "represent" each type (Rachel for Peanuts Lucy), and molded them around it. Because when the show is serious, you must take it seriously, but sometimes it's a just a cartoon, and the characters can be "reset" at the start of each episode. (Pick one, Glee!) I'm not asking this show to be Serious and Sensitive, I'm just asking it to be true to its characters. Is that so terrible?

Last edited by SNeaker on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:28 am

I kept thinking during the actual-Glee parts a) what kind of Jewish holiday could be celebrated in a Glee episode (I could only come up with Purim) and b) that I was for whatever reason thankful that the writers found a way to keep Dianna Agron out of the hardcore Christmas stuff. I must admit that I did not make the connection to the Jewish characters on the show until Rachel said Happy Hanukkah in the end. I'm afraid Glee's version of continuity works a little to well on me. The only trick that they won't be able to pull on me from now on is the spinny camera. Thanks, Community.

Coming back to Rachel: WHO GAVE HER RIVER? That was so not good. When the camera panned over to the singer I was at least hoping for Santana to do the song, but nooooo. Also: Singing "Do they know it's Christmas?" to homeless people and doing so smiling and dancing? Not on, show.

I could have merrily (sorry everyone) watched the Blaine&Kurt Christmas special only. I really loved all the banter circling around...Kurt and Blaine's bachelor roommate status. "That's not egg nog, Justin Timberlake!" Teehee. Also: Their Christmas tree was purple! Purple! That was simply awesome. Just like the "no, we're not dressed like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo for that would be copyright infringement bit". And the blue lightsaber! Loved it. I'm also happy about the use of Christmas Wrapping, a song I was admittedly introduced to by the Spice Girls. I feel like searching for my "Goodbye" single now...
Wilhelmina
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Even before they started singing (which I fast forwarded so missed that it was that song), I was totally WTFing over the scene at the shelter. Everyone is all smiles and looks like they learned an important lesson about the spirit of giving. No, you didn't! You did your ENTIRE special, until the plug got pulled, and THEN came to the shelter! There was no sacrifice. You literally just did what you wanted to do and then, when you had some free time, wandered over, with a single cold turkey that probably would have been trash otherwise. Learning!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

You know, I was just thinking the other day about how S2 & S3 Glee would do an episode like "Vitamin D" today.

One of the characters - I'm thinking Kurt, Quinn, or Rachel - would probably have a serious overdose on one of the pep pills, and it would be cracky and hilarious until one of them collapsed and was rushed to a hospital.

Then the show would shame the audience for laughing at this Serious Drug Issue because it's SERIOUS.

But not so serious that Kurt or Quinn or Rachel wouldn't be able to get over this Serious Drug Problem by the end of the episode.

And then comes the supportive group song so the gang can say We're Here For You During This Serious Drug Problem That You've Already Kind Of Gotten Over.

But only if it were Kurt or Quinn. Rachel would probably get yelled at for being irresponsible and caring so much about winning, and then she'd cry and apologize for wanting to win so badly that she put her own life in danger and made others worry about her. Except it would be more about making others worry than what she did to herself.

I'm not asking this show to be Serious and Sensitive, I'm just asking it to be true to its characters.

That apparently is a very tall order for a Ryan Murphy show.

I definitely don't want some kind of PSA about Judaism or Hanukkah, and it is a good point that Hanukkah is often made out to be the Jewish Christmas - which is offensive to both Jews and Christians. So I'm not saying Let's Do A Hanukkah Episode! There should just be more than lip service to Rachel and Puck's Judaism, that could be funny, in character, and not be a major part or even a subplot in a Christmas episode. Heck, I'd be satisfied with a Willow Rosenberg-esque "Not everyone worships Santa."
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Well, that was crap. When it opened with Mercedes, who I now want to slap every time she appears, I should have been warned.

The whole thing with Rachel demanding expensive gifts was just stupid. Although I wouldn't be happy if someone bought me a pig, either, but if you don't like your Christmas gift you smile and say thank you anyway! It was completely out of character, even if she wasn't supposed to be Jewish.

I liked the black and white part, aside from whatever that was that the Cheerios plus Tina danced to. Kurt and Blaine were brilliant, as was Rachel...loved her 'Hello!' to the camera.

Using 'Do They Know It's Christmas' made me think they were doing one of two things - expecting the audience to take it as sung to us, and not the people in the shelter. In which case - stop lecturing me, Glee. Or something I've caught people in general doing - they really didn't think it through and were just going for 'Christmas song which is all worthy and stuff'. Honestly, the amount of people who sing that song with big grins on their faces as though they're singing 'Frosty the Snowman'.

I wish they'd just done the whole thing as a cheesy black and white Christmas special, and left the lecturing out.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 pm

The cheesy black and white special was the only part of it I watched. I went in expecting to enjoy at least that part of it, but it fell so flat for me. Does "parody" and "imitation" mean the same thing now? Lea, bless her, was trying her best to make it OTT but no one else was at all.

Though I won't deny that I enjoyed "Let it Snow" a lot. Very smart of them to put the second Kurt/Blaine Christmas duet in a non-romantic context, because nothing was going to top "Baby it's Cold Outside" from last year. And I giggled like a schoolgirl when he broke out the harmonica. Only five more instruments to go.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:37 pm

(And snarryfan is right on the money about what sort of Judiasm an interracial gay couple would practice. I doubt her dads would ever talk about putting the "Ch" back in Channukah and the X back in X-mas, y'know?)

I'm assuming this is an insult but since the statement makes no sense it fails utterly in its attempt.

The reality is that the very idea of a Glee Christmas special makes no sense because the show takes place in a public school. There would be no tree nor carols unless Glee's next episode was a very special ep where Glee took on the ACLU.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:48 am

It's a random phrase my dad claims he heard somewhere. I thought it was just "let's emphasize this Jewish holiday and forget about the Christian one."

There were a lot of things off about the episode, but there was also a lot of silly, sincerely enjoyable fun. Seems like a typical week for Glee.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am

The reality is that the very idea of a Glee Christmas special makes no sense because the show takes place in a public school. There would be no tree nor carols unless Glee's next episode was a very special ep where Glee took on theACLU
We just had the (public) high school holiday concert - actually it was Tuesday night, so I missed this week's episode of Glee - and there were carols performed, along with Hanukkah songs, and there was a tree on stage, albeit a very Charlie Brown-type tree to go along with the Charlie Brown musical pieces that were performed.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 am

Yeah, I've been going to public schools my whole life and there was always a religious Christmas song mixed in with the more secular "winter" holiday songs, as well as (usually) one Hanukkah song, during the winter holiday concerts.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:42 pm

naughty zoot wrote:
The reality is that the very idea of a Glee Christmas special makes no sense because the show takes place in a public school. There would be no tree nor carols unless Glee's next episode was a very special ep where Glee took on theACLU
We just had the (public) high school holiday concert - actually it was Tuesday night, so I missed this week's episode of Glee - and there were carols performed, along with Hanukkah songs, and there was a tree on stage, albeit a very Charlie Brown-type tree to go along with the Charlie Brown musical pieces that were performed.
Same here. I'm in rural-ass south Georgia, but we had a fairly multi-cultural production, including the Dreidel song and many carols, and something for Kwanzaa as well. And there was a huge Christmas tree to the right of the stage.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:54 pm

jstilwe wrote:and something for Kwanzaa as well.

Cake, semi-homemade style?

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 am

Santana sings "Santa Baby" in a deleted scene from the last episode.

First of all, GUH. Secondly, the sub-headline is cracking me up. And finally, I will never be able to hear this song again without having Alison Brie's spoof from Community in the back of my mind, but that's so not Naya's fault and she's gorgeous.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:37 am

That would have easily been the best thing in the episode if it had been included. The TV special was cute to start but went on way too long.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum