Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grimm

+20
blooey
Rhilin
mialoubug
truecrystal
dreago
Poubelle
Bad Username
Unlucky Bear
TiffanyNichelle
The Glen
mrinsouciance
killershrew
maxell131313
curryalley
Instant Monkeys
sagitare
bbridges
Kiran
laddical
bookworm
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Grimm      Empty Grimm

Post  bookworm Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:16 pm

I watched this and I was pleasantly surprised at how creepy it was. The premise is kind of silly, but the actual show had some genuinely freaky moments. I was not expecting Auntie to go all Van Helsing in her second scene (and she's a librarian- hee!). Whether or not this show will make it after this season who knows, but I enjoyed the first episode.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Grimm      Empty Re: Grimm

Post  laddical Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 pm

I think of the two Fables riffs coming to ABC and NBC, this one definitely looks like the better of the two. But I'm hoping, because I love Jennifer Morrison, that Once Upon a Time will be sufficiently soapy fun.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:30 pm

I actually much preferred Once Upon A Time after watching it on IMDB. I thought it was really fun, if really cheesy, in a soapy way.

I wasn't a fan of this. I thought it tried way too hard to be edgy and dark and missed.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm so turned off by the adds for this show, most of which seem to feature dead ladies artfully displayed for maximum sexiness even though they are dead. I wasn't going to watch anyway but that really turned me off.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:05 am

It'll be interesting to see how Grimm and Once Upon A Time compare because it's inevitable they will be. I was saying to a friend of mine the other day that there are usually a few more fantasy/sci-fi type shows on the schedule for new series each year, so I find I'm a bit more focused on both of these just because there doesn't seem to be much else around in terms of that genre. Hopefully at least one will survive!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Grimm      Empty Grimm: Fairy Tales, But On A Cop Show

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 am

I kinda liked it. Anyone else watch?

And it had The Looter from Agua Mala in it! And the dad from Lincoln Heights!

Stupid 10-characters-or-more limit.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:14 am

I was very underwhelmed by it. I thought the lead actor, who looked like a cross between Zachary Quinto and Brandon Routh, was extremely bland - actually, I thought nearly every character was unremarkable. The only one that made any impression on me at all was the wolf dude who helped the detective. Him I liked! That the detective's boss is a part of this whole lore was the lone bit of the story that piqued my interest, to be honest.

Overall, there was nothing in the show that I haven't already seen on (1) generic cop shows, and (2) Supernatural (a cross-over episode could be pretty nifty). I'll catch a few more episodes but there has to be a lot more spark in the stories and chemistry amongst the actors for me to stay tuned in.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:20 am

I've only seen the teaser and the first act so far, and I'm severely underwhelmed. The dialogue is listless, bordering on cliche, the acting is syndicated-90s-action-show bad. If my wife wasn't wanting to give it a full hearing I'd have already switched over to playing Xbox.

I saw Sasha Roiz's name in the credits. He was the best thing about Caprica. Hopefully he'll bring some kind of spark to the show. Right now, nodding off to sleep sounds like a better alternative.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:46 am

I liked it. It was easier to grasp the concept that Once Upon A Time and I found it so much easier to latch on to. The police work doesn't seem to hold up at all ("See if you can get prints off this ipod THAT I AM HOLDING WITH MY BARE HAND") but I'm willing to forgive that in a pilot. I loved Auntie Kick Ass and the Wolf Who Would Rather Be Somewhere Else.

But what is the deal with quirky outsider types driving yellow VW Beatles on television? Didn't Emma drive on on Once Upon A Time?

Edited for proper show names. I was convinced Once Upon A Time was Happily Ever After.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:58 am

I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. It was more like Law & Order: Warewolfville. Just more Law and less Order. I didn't see anything new or groundbreaking. And if we're going to have a new wolf going after a new Red Riding Hood every week, this won't last long.

With all the heavy weaponry in storage I could totally see episodes of Buffy and Angel. I'm sure the producers are proud of the time spent on those shows but I can clearly see the influence. It's a little too much, IMO.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Mr. Shrew and I liked it, which for Mr. Shrew is saying something because he normally hates all things horror-related. But he did genuinely appreciate Buffy, and this wasn't too gory, so I think he was able to handle it like that. The werewolf guy was my favorite too. We'll watch it again.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:29 pm

curryalley wrote:The police work doesn't seem to hold up at all ("See if you can get prints off this ipod THAT I AM HOLDING WITH MY BARE HAND") but I'm willing to forgive that in a pilot.
It's right up there with "He was humming the same song that was playing on the dead girl's iPod - he must be the killer!!"
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:18 pm

sagitare wrote:
curryalley wrote:The police work doesn't seem to hold up at all ("See if you can get prints off this ipod THAT I AM HOLDING WITH MY BARE HAND") but I'm willing to forgive that in a pilot.
It's right up there with "He was humming the same song that was playing on the dead girl's iPod - he must be the killer!!"

That was seriously annoying. Especially because of the crappy way it was handled at the beginning, with her going running while listening to the song and then that same song still playing hours later when the cops find it? And the way Partner Cop dropped the exposition bomb showing he recognized the song was just so stilted. I did like Grimm Cop's, "Hey... I didn't know you couldn't sing" though.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:33 pm

I;m going to stream it to see how it compares with Once Upon a Time, which I thought I glanced over on ONTD the critics preferred over it?

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm

It's both filmed in and set in Portland, so we'll be watching for awhile at least, if only for the "okay, where are they shooting that scene?"

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Ok. I streamed it tonight. David Greenwalt was involved w/Buffy wasn't he? (I keep thinking Lost but I know I am mistaken). I'll give it a try. The premise interests me enough even if the execution is a bit boring.

I can not wait for the day a show within a show gets made: Something like, I was watching one too many episodes of Buffy and I got sucked into the Buffyverse and Giles I need your help traveling back to my dimension! (Ok I thought of that while watching it).

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 pm

We already have a Grimm thread. Which one do we delete?
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Can't we merge?

If not, I'd say keep this one - it has the most posts and more recent ones. The other one is at the very bottom of the page.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 am

Merged!

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:02 pm

I finally watched the pilot. It was ok. It's darker and more serious than Once Upon A Time which is serious but in a campy, "did you catch that, how clever" kind of way. Hopefully this will get even darker still.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 pm

I just about lost it when the wolf guy was driving with his head out the window. Ha!
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:I just about lost it when the wolf guy was driving with his head out the window. Ha!
Yes! That bit was genuinely hilarious. That guy totally stole every scene he was in.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:27 am

I enjoyed the pilot well enough. It seemed to go very quickly, but I figure the show's mythology probably needs expanding over several episodes, they're only going to be able to show the basics in the pilot. I also liked the helper werewolf, I hope he shows up again. Portland looks gorgeous, I'm looking forward to more scenery shots.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah, I figure there's going to be a lot more mythology to come. David Greenwalt was one of the main writers for Angel, so I'm trusting the show won't screw up on that front. And I hope this one lasts, Friday night timeslot aside--sure, there was a lot of room for improvement, but the pilot was interesting enough that I think it's got a good chance of making that improvement and being a great show once they've hit their stride.

(I too loved the wolf guy.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:38 pm

"Bears Will Be Bears" was a significant improvement over the pilot. None of the policework left me with a concussion at any rate.

I just feel like something needs to be done about the "old names". Like, I guess "jaegerbar" isn't too bad - it makes me think of booze, but it translates "hunter bear" - but "blutbad" still makes my eyes roll every time I hear it even if it does translate to "blood bath". Seems to me that if "blutbad" was twisted into "big bad wolf" it... might have needed something that sounded like "wolf" in the name. I dunno... "blutwolf" might not be much of an improvement, but if you sounded the "w" as a "v" it would at least be more imposing than "blutbad".

Anyway, my initial reactions were backwards - I find myself enjoying Once Upon a Time a whole lot more than this one, but given the step up in quality from one episode to the next I'm at least willing to give this one a fair shake with a few more episodes.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum