Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+105
Wildog27
Dachelle
dreago
laddical
mo pie
mayram
pamchenko
biakbiak
swsa
xyzzy
Luciano
sagitare
Gillian
draco vulgaris
PrincessCleo
RubyTuesday
Lurker
ariadne
Gilraen
Vmars123
Binky
ulkis
Escape
Shadowlass
mialoubug
Luthien
Auroura76
Morning Angel
dday515
MLIS
Esseilte
Genevieve
Cynara
allochthonous
Raised by wolves
ActonBell
SelfAmused
Disclaimer
Carrie Ann
Jude
Corellderaan
MaddyCat
leone
Me Talk Pretty
midnight radio
jstilwe
Francie Nolan
Ceci
subie5
SarahJanet
stargirl
Red Wolf
Tabby
schwa
Crowbridge
Gallifrey Girl
particle_person
Matinee
puddingcup
gannetguts
Poubelle
QueenSix
Kookla
Swarley
jcpdiesel21
BreezyK
eventide82
Scarlettfish
The Lady of Shalott
epudom
Paris, Texas
paablish
inversed
blooey
Menshevixen
caerbannog
Raksha
whatthedeuce
curryalley
choubetcha
maxell131313
laurelin_kit
Grainne Mhaol
emrie
tothemax
bbridges
Bad Username
mokey75
Algae
Cutebutpsycho
VodouDoll
Instant Monkeys
Queen Esther
punzy
RiverThames
Kiran
katesti
big chicken
Putli Bai
naughty zoot
queenofdenile
Jessica
alexdegenhardt
Unlucky Bear
Jasmine
109 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 20 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Shadowlass Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 am

Carrie Ann wrote:

Hmm, Shadowlass, that bums me out a bit. Is there an actual plot though, at some point? Right now, I'm at the point where
Spoiler:
I mean, OK, but it's really not that fascinating, and none of the characters are particularly sympathetic, so I don't have much to hold onto at this point.

A very leisurely "plot" develops.
Spoiler:

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:28 am

Speaking of really big books, I've been waiting for Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy to come out as an ebook. I really want to read it but it's over a thousand pages and it's really heavy and I have small hands. The only way I managed to read Order of the Phoenix in one long session was to put it on the floor and stretch out on the couch so I didn't have to actually hold it.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Just finished Mindy Kaling's book. If anyone's looking for me, I will be in Hollywood trying to become BFFs with Mindy Kaling.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:Just finished Mindy Kaling's book. If anyone's looking for me, I will be in Hollywood trying to become BFFs with Mindy Kaling.
I loved her book, and I also want to be her BFF. She did a reading at the Harvard Book Store a few months ago, and my friend from home kept badgering me to go and stalk her convince her to hang out with us.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Yesterday I bought The Night Circus based on the rave reviews you guys have given it. I'm looking forward to reading it this coming week while we're away on holiday!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm

I hope you enjoy it, eventide!

I'm reading How To Be A Woman, by Caitlin Moran. It's a memoir of sorts; as a 13-year old she wrote a to-do list for becoming a woman, and she writes a series of chapters on these things that supposedly 'make' a woman. It's kind of a more accessible take on Simon de Beauvoir's assertion that a woman is made, not born. And by "more accessible", I mean laugh out loud hilarious. She's awesome, and I highly recommend this book.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 am

mokey75 wrote:I'm about a third of the way through We Need to Talk About Kevin, and sweet baby jeebus, this book is gutting me.
Based on my ratings and recommendations, one of my friends is reading this book alongside Columbine with her work book club. I thought both books were very good, but wow, that's a LOT of heavy material to digest at once.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 pm

eventide82 wrote:Yesterday I bought The Night Circus based on the rave reviews you guys have given it. I'm looking forward to reading it this coming week while we're away on holiday!
My digital copy is finally available from the library, so I'm trying to burn through the rest of We Need to Talk about Kevin today/tomorrow, so that I can dive into it.
Speaking of, I just got to the part where
Spoiler:
and people, I am worried. Seriously worried.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm

OH MY GOD, mokey, OH MY GOD. Oh my God I don't understand how you put the book down at that point. KEEP GOING AND THEN TELL US YOUR REACTIONS.

I'm super excited that I got Faithful Place from the library the other day! I'm reading On the Farm, Stevie Cameron's book about the Pickton murders in Vancouver, but since it's like 700 pages long in a gigantic hardback, it may take me a while to get through it. Also I need to get through some non-killing-related books once in a while so I got Bloody Valentine by Anthony Bourdain from the library as well, thankfully.
The Lady of Shalott
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

You know, I watch a lot of tv about serial killers and murderers and that story, the pig farm one, is by far the most horrifying and scary thing ever. It's so very disturbing.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:22 pm

LoS, I took the bus as far as I could, I promise! And, in fact, my husband met me for lunch, but I was trying to dissuade him all morning so that I could keep reading.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:29 pm

So I'm finally reading The Devil in the White City...so full of interesting things! I didn't know I had the Chicago World's Fair to blame for PBR.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:53 am

OH MY GOD PEOPLE! Why did no one tell me how good The Hunger Games trilogy was??!?!!!!11

I just finished Catching Fire. Good thing I only have to wait until the library coughs up Mockingjay. If I had to wait for it to be written and published, I might asplode.

And yes, I know there's a thread for the series, but I didn't want to get any more spoiled than I already am. Because OH MY GOD.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarlettfish Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:31 pm

How To Be A Woman is fab. So much fun, and really thought-provoking. I love Caitlin Moran.

Scarlettfish

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm nearing the end of the Steve Jobs bio. It was fine...but repetitive. Seriously, I get that he was both a genius and an a-hole. I GET IT.

I'm also reading Remembering Anne Frank by Miep Gies, the woman who worked for Otto Frank and helped the family while they were in hiding. It is really good. It's so fascinating to see Anne and her family from someone else's perspective. Of course there's an incredible sadness overlaying all of it, but it's still a great book thus far.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:12 am

I am reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 and LOVING IT. I adore time-travel stories, and this is pretty much exactly what I needed to read right now. I started yesterday and am more than halfway through. I, um, may have skipped the Superbowl in part to read.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 am

I'm slogging through A History of the World in 100 Objects from the staff at the British Museum. I'm loving it because of all the trivia and guesswork about people's lives, but it's deep. I read about 5 objects and I'm out.

So, to balance that, I'm reading fluffy romance novels, like Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (which was hard to get into because it'd been a while since I'd read the first in the series and hadn't read the second, so I had a tough time figuring out all the relationships) and I've started on the Pink Carnation series, which is excellent. I've also got Catching Fire to start this week.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Auroura76 wrote:I am reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 and LOVING IT. I adore time-travel stories, and this is pretty much exactly what I needed to read right now. I started yesterday and am more than halfway through. I, um, may have skipped the Superbowl in part to read.

Me too! That's quite a doorstop, isn't it? And as a switch, I am mostly confused by time-travel stories, and I can't put it down.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Putli Bai wrote:
Auroura76 wrote:I am reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 and LOVING IT. I adore time-travel stories, and this is pretty much exactly what I needed to read right now. I started yesterday and am more than halfway through. I, um, may have skipped the Superbowl in part to read.

Me too! That's quite a doorstop, isn't it? And as a switch, I am mostly confused by time-travel stories, and I can't put it down.

I just finished it yesterday! I'd love to chat about it when you guys are done.

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Menshevixen wrote:So I'm finally reading The Devil in the White City...so full of interesting things! I didn't know I had the Chicago World's Fair to blame for PBR.
AHHH I loved this book! So creepy. SO CREEPY.

I've read so much on my Kindle lately. I've been reading Stephen King's Bag of Bones and IT for comfort reading and I just finished Mindy Kaling's book. I liked it, but ultimately, it made me want Amy Poehler to write a book. She comes across so WELL in Mindy's book and in Tina's that I would read anything by her.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I got The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff in the mail from Paperback Swap today. I'm only about 100 pages in, but it's great already! I really like the main character's huge, wacky family and I'm intrigued by the mystery.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 pm

gannetguts wrote:I've read so much on my Kindle lately. I've been reading Stephen King's Bag of Bones and IT for comfort reading and I just finished Mindy Kaling's book. I liked it, but ultimately, it made me want Amy Poehler to write a book. She comes across so WELL in Mindy's book and in Tina's that I would read anything by her.
So I take it that you like to pee your pants for comfort? I can't imagine anyone counting King's work as "comfort reading" because I've only read Carrie and The Shining, and though I knew what would happen in the former, it still terrified me a bit. The latter jut plain scared the shit out of me, to be real frank. You're a much braver person than I, gannetguts!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 am

hahahaha! I think it's because it reminds me of that delicious feeling of being scared, but a safe scare, like a roller coaster. Makes me remember when I first read it. I will admit, last night, while reading Bag of Bones, I did jump a mile in the air when my cat pounced on my foot during a particularly eerie part.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 am

I was thinking the same thing. If IT is your comfort reading, what on earth do you read if you want to be creeped out?
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 am

I'm yet to find a book that really scares me! Well, unless you count 120 Days of Sodom. I could not finish that -- but I wasn't scared so much as disgusted. And was sort of eye-rolly at American Psycho (I read this before I was 18 and had to actually get PERMISSION to from the local library).

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next