Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 30 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Sheli Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am

Morning Angel wrote:I saw Saving Mr. Banks tonight.  Liked a lot more than I expected to.  Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were really great as was Colin Ferrell and Paul Giamatti.  Paul Giamatti had a smaller role, but he's such a talented actor, he really can do so much in so little time.  Thoroughly enjoyed it as did the group of people I saw it with.

I saw this on New Year's Eve and was actually really disappointed. I thought Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were great but I hated most of the flashbacks. The way all of Mrs. Travers' weird quirks could be traced back so neatly to an event from the past, with such obvious explanations, was irritating to me. I know the movie is based on a true story so maybe she really DID have all those things happen and it explained each quirk but I doubt it. Also I couldn't figure out if I hated Colin Farrell's character more or his wife more, which I know was sort of the point but I just didn't enjoy watching it, even if I could tell it was a well-made, well-acted film.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 30 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 pm

I watched The Wolf of Wall Street on New Year's Day. The movie was entertaining and I was surprised that I didn't feel the length (I thought it was going to be noticeable). While DiCaprio is playing a loathsome, despicable character, the scene with the Italian rescue showed his still youthful face making him look innocent. But I digress. In my primitive brain, I really wanted those men to die. So loathsome, disgusting and aggressive, corrupt people. The contrast with the naive people in the seminar (last scene) puts the wall street type into sharp focus - it takes a different kind of person to succeed in wall street.

Earlier in the week I watched anchorman 2 and found it very funny. Now that one, I did fidget in my seat a few times. But I would watch it again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm

I really wanted to see The Wolf of Wall Street, until I saw the bananas running time. That's going to have to wait for a rainy Sunday DVD viewing.

So we saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty instead, and I was really surprised at how much I liked it. If I wasn't already planning a trip for this summer, I would definitely be planning one now.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:56 am

I saw The Wolf of Wall Street today and I both loved it, and found it had issues. DiCaprio does give probably his best performance, but only because Marty included everything he committed to film? I didn't feel the over length in the way I did with American Hustle, but it felt far more indulgent and disjointed. Okay it basically boiled down to I have a limit when it comes to Jonah Hill and good GOD did Scorcese go over my limit. I'm sorry I don't think he's not a good actor, but I just can NOT stand him or his constant need to inject gay panic into his characters. I did love Patsy Stone and the secretary at company
Spoiler:
Ha!

I actually think it might have worked better without the comedown. Jordan in perpetuity would work better because it's more truthful three years in country club, where he leveraged his privilege isn't exactly comeuppance, of the wow he's so wizened variety, unless it's he's so wizened he knows how to leverage without committing crimes kind.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Finally saw Frozen with The Glen. Enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I find digital animation to be ugly in general. The ice effects looked really good, it was funny and had some really positive female characters. I wasn't crazy about most of the songs, thought they were pretty forgettable, except for 'Let it Go', which deserves to win best song at the Oscars, IMO. I saw a clear connection between this and other feminist reinterpretations of fairytales, such as Wicked and Enchanted, particularly with the casting of Idina Menzel. It felt like Wicked for babies, which is not to take anything away from it. 'Let it Go' was definitely its 'Defying Gravity'.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:28 pm

though I wish I saw more critical love for Jeremy Renner as well.

You know, I think I was most impressed by him. I mean, I don't know if it's because of the character (Who,
Spoiler:
, that his vulnerability and warmth were so different from a lot of Jeremy Renner's trademark scowl, or that the rest of the cast were playing archetypes we're all rather familiar with, I just felt the most affected in his scenes.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:41 am

I loved Renner and the way he played Polito too. I was so glad
Spoiler:
I thought the performances were fantastic but I hope it doesn't win Best Picture.

The Wolf of Wall Street is entertaining as hell, because you want to stab every single person on the screen/die of second-hand embarrassment for the entire three hours but are somehow still cringe-laughing at the same time. DiCaprio is great, as usual, and so is Jonah Hill. Jean Dujardin is awesome as a Swiss banker, and I was really impressed by Margot Robbie, who plays his second wife, as well.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:30 pm

We watched The Book Thief on the weekend and it was fine, but I definitely think it was much more engaging and interesting as a book.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 pm

FINALLY saw Gravity. Very glad I saw it in 3D. It was great.

I laughed during the credits when two people (two!) were credited for "Greenland casting." Casting for what? There were two damn people in the movie and I don't think either of them came from Greenland.

It was just long enough, too. I cried, but only a little.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 am

Were their any extras when she landed at the end? I haven't seen it. But extras would fall under "casting", and if they shot it in Greenland (though... why?)....
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 am

Skyblade wrote:
though I wish I saw more critical love for Jeremy Renner as well.

You know, I think I was most impressed by him. I mean, I don't know if it's because of the character (Who,
Spoiler:
, that his vulnerability and warmth were so different from a lot of Jeremy Renner's trademark scowl, or that the rest of the cast were playing archetypes we're all rather familiar with, I just felt the most affected in his scenes.

I normally don't have any opinion about Renner at all, but I did like him in the role for the reasons cited here. As for the rest of the movie, include me in with those who found it overlong and unfocused. It felt a lot longer than The Wolf Of Wall Street despite being considerably shorter. Also, and this might have been a function of most of the characters feeling like archetypes rather than people, but I wasn't as engaged by the Seventies setting as I expected to be. I remember the Seventies pretty well, and American Hustle felt like elaborate dress-up rather than reality, but I think that was mostly because the characters felt so artificial. Entertaining, but artificial in ways that held me at arms' length.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:16 pm

laddical wrote:Were their any extras when she landed at the end? I haven't seen it. But extras would fall under "casting", and if they shot it in Greenland (though... why?)....
There were no extras. BUT, there was a radio voice at one point, and looking at the credits the character name looks Inuit and the actor name looks Scandinavian, so, that must be it.

I also did not realize until I saw the credits that Ed Harris is "Houston."
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:
laddical wrote:Were their any extras when she landed at the end? I haven't seen it. But extras would fall under "casting", and if they shot it in Greenland (though... why?)....
There were no extras. BUT, there was a radio voice at one point, and looking at the credits the character name looks Inuit and the actor name looks Scandinavian, so, that must be it.

I also did not realize until I saw the credits that Ed Harris is "Houston."

Yep, the conversation Sandra Bullock sort of has has on the radio was with an Inuit fisherman, who can be seen in the accompanying short:Aningaaq.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:22 pm

OH COOL!! I didn't know that existed. And that certainly explains the Greenland casting credit.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 pm

The Wolf of Wall Street is sooooooo bloated. Ugh. There's no way that movie needed to be as long as it was. I actually dozed off for like 10 minutes in the middle, because I was so bored.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:11 pm

mokey75 wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street is sooooooo bloated. Ugh. There's no way that movie needed to be as long as it was. I actually dozed off for like 10 minutes in the middle, because I was so bored.

God, yes. I felt like it was a 3 hour audition tape for Leo, displaying all the human emotions he is capable of acting. Which are many, and he's a highly enjoyable actor. But it was soooo long and rambly. I wanted an editor and a narrator to say "and then this happened" instead of the extraneous hour or so that it wanted me to watch. I even found the nudity and sex boring and tiresome. And I don't really think those 3 hours had any point at all, really, beyond showcasing Leo (and I guess Jonah Hill but I hate him, so).
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 am

An hour in, I turned to my husband and said, "how the hell is there still 2 more hours of this?" Apparently, it was because Scorsese is too awesome to be edited, and we needed multiple scenes of the same damn thing happening. Because hey! If snorting coke off a woman once is good, then showing it fifteen more times must be awesome, right?
There's probably a really excellent movie in there somewhere, but I was so tired and annoyed by the end that I just can't seem to find it. Or care.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:35 pm

The Wolf of Wall Street is sooooooo bloated. Ugh. There's no way that movie needed to be as long as it was. I actually dozed off for like 10 minutes in the middle, because I was so bored.

I saw this last night and I mostly enjoyed it, but after about the twentieth drug fuelled sex romp I was my best friend and I were just rolling our eyes at each other. Like, we get it: you're all rich and you do as many drugs as you can and screw as many women as you can because why not? I mean, I know it's based on this guy's memoir, but seriously, Martin, we get it. I really don't think eliminating about 45 minutes of that stuff would have detracted from the story.

I was surprised that Jonah Hill got an Oscar nomination for his role, but now that I've seen it, I think it was deserved. He was pretty great in it.
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:21 am

Did anyone else here see Her?  I'm wondering if feeling massively depressed is not expected, because I think I'm an outlier in that sense.

Plus the damned trousers all the men wore distracted the hell out of me.  Do little old men from Boca run the men's fashion industry in that future timeline?

Loved the Perfect Mom game!

It was an interesting idea, wonderfully acted and beautifully written.  But I felt down for hours afterward.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:37 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:
Plus the damned trousers all the men wore distracted the hell out of me.  Do little old men from Boca run the men's fashion industry in that future timeline?

I actually turned to my husband at one point and asked why everyone looked like they walked off the shuffleboard court at Del Boca Vista.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 am

The LEGO Movie. Go! See! Awesome!
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeah, seconding the Lego Movie recommendation! It was really funny!

Laddical, did you stay through the credits? There's an "unplugged" version of Everything Is Awesome near the end.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm

I did! And then immediately downloaded the soundtrack and its six different versions of the same song for the ride home.

This is, as the robot says, "my jam".
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:27 pm

We saw Dallas Buyers Club on the weekend and I thought it was really good. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto were fantastic and I'm happy they were both nominated for the major awards this season.
eventide82
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:01 pm

I can't deal with The Lego Movie. I seriously muffled my laughter the whole time for fear of sounding crazy in front of my date. The roomful of kids didn't seem half as amused as I was, but that movie was so charming and ultimately very heartfelt. Bad Cop had me squirming with giggles the first 20 minutes or so, and Batman and Vitruvius kept me keeling over the rest of the time. Of course, "Everything Is Awesome" is stuck in my head, which is...awesome!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next